259 replies to this topic

#121 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 10 November 2013 - 17:17

Hillshade: If you want to discuss OFF, do it at the OFF Forum. :roll:

#122 karnak

karnak

Posted 10 November 2013 - 18:49

Easy guys its not worth to fight about those 2 sims. At least we have not much options to choose from good ww1 sims. I realy like both sims, both got good and bad mechanics. But here on the RoF forum we should discuss RoF. As for the AI it seems that with the options gavagai told us the AI realy is better but it also seems that it affects not all scout plane types. Is there somewhere an option to adjust the planes one for one? I mean adjust Fokker E III, Nieuport 17, Albatros DVa…..

@Hellshade
you have the same problems with the AI as me so it would be great if you could try the options on PWCG (scout novice 1, normal 1 and veteran 98 %) and tell us how it works for you.

#123 Thaatu

Thaatu

Posted 11 November 2013 - 22:28

Does the AI gunnery mod reduce the hit points of gunners or is that option completely broken/not used? A general question on that subject, do AI gunners get any penalties for wounds? And before anyone wonders my motive, yes, I got shot by an AI gunner.

#124 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:59

It's broken/not used. AI gunners have no penalties for wounds so far as I can tell.

There used to be a mod that worked to reduce the number of bullets to kill them from 4 to 2, but even then it was still difficult to kill them! The fuselage deflects the bullets a lot more than you'd think.

————-

Someone else asked that I try again to decrease the number of bullets to kill pilots and gunners. I'll try again this weekend.

#125 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 November 2013 - 19:49

Hello gavagai,
Your efforts are appreciated by many.
Thankyou for your time and effort in keeping this sim growing in enjoyment.
Cheers,
Spag. :)

Bite off more than you can chew.

Then chew like Hell ! ! !

#126 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 12 November 2013 - 20:03

@karnak I gave that a shot, though I only have had the chance to fly a few missions. So far I have only come up against N17s and I cannot say I noticed any improvement in their aggressiveness. What planes have you seen a definite improvement with and I'll bump my campaign dates up if need be to meet them in the sky and see if I get any improvements then.

#127 karnak

karnak

Posted 12 November 2013 - 20:25

The plane that attacked me most were Sopwith Camel, Sopwith Triplane and Sopwith Pup, also Spads but the Nieuports did it only once. On the other side were Albatros DIIlate, DIII and Fokker DR1. The Fokker EIII did it 50/50 and the Fokker 7 so 20 %. The AI has changed with this setup but its not very much better. Also it seems that they attack only on specific missions but i cant say that for sure.

I wrote today a mail to 777 that i am looking for help with the AI and if they cant do it now that they tell us how we can change by ourself. I hope for something promising but…. you know.

But there is another question i have. I have seen nobody complain about the AI on the Steam forums. They only said how hard the AI could be. At least i could find nothing otherwise. Is it possible that the guys who got it on steam dont have this bug?

After all your own Squad fights always with every plane they have so there is a working AI. Only the Enemys wont fight or at least only some of them. There have to be something in the script how they fly to what they react and so on but i have no clue about scripts. What makes them attack and what order makes them to ingore you and only run away?
I wished i had more knowlege for mods and programs but to be honest i can only play :x

#128 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 13 November 2013 - 00:01

Steam players are probably trying the QMB or the training campaign where the AI definitely attacks.

#129 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:54

Steam players are probably trying the QMB or the training campaign where the AI definitely attacks.
I recently completed the 6th training mission (after 2 years of playing ROF :) ) and noticed that those two Fokkers were really reluctant to attack me until I was like less than 50 meters away. I was attacking, extending and coming back multiple times and they were: meh, we are flying straight and don't care :lol:
On the other hand they were giving me hard time if I was trying to turn fight them (in a Spad, yes) or use vertical maneuvers instead of extending away. In the latter case they just prop-hanged and shot me out of the sky with ease.

Maybe it is supposed to be like this, but looked really odd.

#130 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:03

Wow, didn't know that Ankor. They still engage with the QMB just fine. I wonder what the skill level is of the AI in that training mission…

#131 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:51

Their AI is set to High (i.e. Veteran), the Albatros is Low (Novice).
I'm not saying that their behavior is a bug, maybe it was supposed to be like this (I should have recorded the fight), I just rarely use B&Z and not sure how AI is supposed to respond to it… Although the ability to hang 50 meters behind the enemy and keep shooting at it without any evasive response is suspicious.

#132 karnak

karnak

Posted 13 November 2013 - 18:52

I sended yesterday a Email to 777 with the AI problem and got today an answer, short but an answer :-)
The AI was not updated a long time ago so the problem may be the mission settings. For every mission (scramble, patrol and so on) you have to make specific settings. This is something that others also believed so maybe someone can check this out? I would do it myself and test it but i dont know how and where. But i think that some guys know what they need to check. If someone know how it works or where i can change these settings please let me know then i will test it also. I will post this in the other AI threads as well. Hope it helps.

Alright this is the third thread i got this message in so hopefully someone will read it who can help :-)

#133 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:47

Karnak, you should share this information with Pat Wilson.

#134 karnak

karnak

Posted 14 November 2013 - 18:24

I have and maybe we find something. I realy hope because i realy enjoy PWCG but with this AI singleplayer is not the way i wann fly a WW1 flight sim. I hope with help from Pat to get some a..kicking AI :x

#135 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 14 November 2013 - 20:13

I have and maybe we find something. I realy hope because i realy enjoy PWCG but with this AI singleplayer is not the way i wann fly a WW1 flight sim. I hope with help from Pat to get some a..kicking AI :x

Amen to that sir. I was having a blast with PWCG and then all of a sudden the enemy AI scouts lost their will to live. Pat does great work, so I have faith that if it's within his ability to fix, he'll get it done.

and to turn the topic back to that of the original post: hey Gav, is 0.14 of Rof Refined pretty much the final version of this mod for now or do you have other ideas you'd like to implement anytime soon?

#136 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 November 2013 - 22:01

and to turn the topic back to that of the original post: hey Gav, is 0.14 of Rof Refined pretty much the final version of this mod for now or do you have other ideas you'd like to implement anytime soon?

Not sure yet. I keep waiting to hear that I broke something or made a silly mistake. I will post a "1.0" when I'm sure it's really done.

#137 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:31

Hello gavagai,
Did you manage to fix the problem with destroying balloons and trucks etc?
I reckon your lower fire rate mod is excellent, except for that prob.
Thanks,
Cheers,

#138 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:48

There was never a problem with destroying trucks. That balloon problem was fixed a while ago! :S!:

#139 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 15 November 2013 - 14:49

Not sure yet. I keep waiting to hear that I broke something or made a silly mistake. I will post a "1.0" when I'm sure it's really done.

I can't say for sure if it's the ROF Refined mod yet, but I did run a few Quick Mission combats last night and I put myself up against 5 Camels. Interestingly enough, all 5 of them made hard turns in an attempt to get on my six o'clock and in doing so, each and every one went into a spin. From watching them, the spins seemed like they should have been fairly easy to recover from…however none of them did. All 5 slowly spiraled earthward until they impacted the ground. I ran two more Quick Missions and all three had the same results. I haven't ROF Refined 0.14 out yet to see if the behavior continues to repeat itself. I will do that tonight. Anyone else experiencing odd suicidal Camel pilot behavior with this installed?

#140 JiltedJock

JiltedJock

Posted 15 November 2013 - 20:28

There is a long standing bug in the QMB where if you set the skill level of a flight to random (which I think is represented by a "?"), all of the AI will be set to skill level 2 (Average).

Worth bearing in mind when you are testing AI mods in QMB.

#141 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 15 November 2013 - 21:03

I can't say for sure if it's the ROF Refined mod yet, but I did run a few Quick Mission combats last night and I put myself up against 5 Camels. Interestingly enough, all 5 of them made hard turns in an attempt to get on my six o'clock and in doing so, each and every one went into a spin. From watching them, the spins seemed like they should have been fairly easy to recover from…however none of them did. All 5 slowly spiraled earthward until they impacted the ground. I ran two more Quick Missions and all three had the same results. I haven't ROF Refined 0.14 out yet to see if the behavior continues to repeat itself. I will do that tonight. Anyone else experiencing odd suicidal Camel pilot behavior with this installed?

Thank you, that is what I need to hear about. What were the QMB settings? Altitude, fuel load, etc.

————

Never mind. I tested it out myself and found that I set the AoA limit too far. It works well for lighter fuel loads but the AI can't handle it with a full tank at altitude. I figured that AoA is AoA, and that weight would be factored into the AI's stick inputs, but it is not.

Anyway, I think I have a good compromise now. Will test a bit more this weekend.

#142 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 17 November 2013 - 16:48

0.2 posted.

#143 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 17 November 2013 - 17:50

Thanks for the continued support, currently I have not the time to test but I keep a look on the forums.

#144 Raine

Raine

Posted 17 November 2013 - 19:12

Thank you Gav. This is a great concept.

#145 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 November 2013 - 23:06

There was never a problem with destroying trucks. That balloon problem was fixed a while ago! :S!:

Hello gavagai,

The bit about trucks not being destroyed must have just been my poor aim. :oops:
I will run your mod again, many thanks for doing what you are doing, it is increasing the immersion level and that is just great.

EDIT: I don't wish to load all of the changes, so where is just the 'rate of fire' mod?

Cheers,

#146 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 17 November 2013 - 23:53

Reduced rate of fire mod

#147 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:06

Reduced rate of fire mod

thanks gavagai,
I always have trouble finding where the mods are, there doesn't seem to be a page anywhere where they are all listed.
Cheers,

#148 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:31

Reduced rate of fire mod

thanks gavagai,
I always have trouble finding where the mods are, there doesn't seem to be a page anywhere where they are all listed.
Cheers,

There is a mods page here at the website under "useful materials," but it was abandoned almost as soon as it came into existence.

I will try to list out the separate mods again in the future. Part of the reason for packaging them together is that many modify the same file, so I can't make promises as to how a la carte I can make it.

#149 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 November 2013 - 19:48

Hello gavagai,

I am not suggesting that you do the work to get all mods in one place.
I was just thinking that it would be a good idea.

The 'mods' in 'useful materials' looked like it was going to be a great idea, but Jason said that any mods put in there would have to be tested to make sure that they worked ok with both the sim and any other mods. Given the amount of work that is obviously needed in BoS, one would not expect to see this sort of area grow anytime soon.

My idea would simply be a page that was headed 'MODS use at your own risk' and perhaps it could be locked and only accessible to those that have actually created a working mod., other than downloading of course.

Anyway, what you and others have done is simply great.
Thankyou.

Cheers,

#150 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 18 November 2013 - 22:30

but Jason said that any mods put in there would have to be tested to make sure that they worked ok with both the sim and any other mods. G

Come on, that's not the real reason, some mods here have been tested for months if not years and they work fine…

#151 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:09

but Jason said that any mods put in there would have to be tested to make sure that they worked ok with both the sim and any other mods. G

Come on, that's not the real reason, some mods here have been tested for months if not years and they work fine…

Its what he said, if my memory serves me right.
As a company, they would have to test a mod themselves before posting it as a worker.
Cheers,

#152 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:16

0.21 posted. It is just a fix for a silly mistake in the Camel script.

Again, please post here if you find other problems. For now I am just going to sit on the project and wait for more bug reports. As someone who likes to play flight sims I know that fixing old problems can be more important that constantly introducing more crap that doesn't work right!
:S!:

#153 flightdok55

flightdok55

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:32

Thanks for fixin the "spaztic" camel Gav…..lol…..it's my favorite plane to fly besides the Fokker D1….sorry, I should have posted it here…..will do in the future…….:)…….

#154 flightdok55

flightdok55

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:35

Gav., is there a reason why you have the link to version 0.21 set to "private"?…….:(………

#155 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:18

Gah, no, mediafire changed their site. Will fix that, hang on.

———-

Ok, please try the download now. I'm not happy with the changes to mediafire. It was bad before, but now they've made it an even bigger pain to download files.

#156 flightdok55

flightdok55

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:57

Ok…..works now…..thanks…….:)……

#157 flugkapitan

flugkapitan

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:08

Hi, I just tried downloading 0.21 twice from MediaFire. Both times I got a message after the file had downloaded "File RoF Refined 0.21 zip appears malicious". I was given the option to keep or discard, opted for discard for now.

Any idea what this might be? Using AVG as my anti-virus software.

Cheers,
Scott

#158 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:18

It could be the jsgme.exe application that is included with the download. .exe files are frequently tagged as suspicious by default.

#159 flugkapitan

flugkapitan

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:39

Hi Gav,

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure that is what the issue is.

Cheers,
Scott

#160 Blade_meister

Blade_meister

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:29

The folder inside the .21zip actually says .20? A typo I assume?

S!Blade<><

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users