- - - - -

[MOD] RoF Refined 1.033c

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#1 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:21

Hi Everyone,

The number of different mods available has become onerous. In an effort to streamline things and help people stay current, I have combined a bunch of popular mods into one single JSGME folder, "RoF Refined." I have selected mods that, in my opinion, improve the realism and historical accuracy of the simulation. Some are just for historical flavor, like the loading screen with trenches instead of the movie theater. If someone wants to make a similar mod that replaces the museum it would be very cool!

Get 1.033c here:

RoF Refined 1.033c

Or, if you want to pick and choose:

RoF Refined 1.01 a la carte

As always, please post if there are problems. AI gunners firing too low is a problem with default RoF, not this mod.

AI gunner nerf available at the bottom of this post for those who are having trouble. Put it in your JSGME mods folder and enable it after you enable RoF Refined.

This is the change history for RoF Refined:

1.033c

Fixed the aircraft porpoising thing. This will probably be my last update for quite a long time unless 1CGS decides to pick up Rise of Flight again.

Added a Sopwith Strutter AI pilot mod. It fixes the aileron flutter observed in the stock AI, and helps a bit with the downward spiraling behavior. I have tested this with crosswind takeoffs and other tricky scenarios and it seems to work fine.

Updated to Ankor's more recent terrain bump mod.

Added in a few more AAA scripts from avimimus. TheDude's recommended adjustments to these scripts are in place.

Fixed a problem with the Camel that was messing up its ability to follow waypoints and the flight leader.

Adjustment to Sopwith Camel AoA limit. The AI Camel should now be able to fly and fight at high altitude with a heavier fuel load.
Included Fubar's landscape as a separate JSGME file (it is beautiful!)
Included Ankor's 3d landscape adjustments as a separate JSGME file (nice touch)
Tested with PWCG, seems to work fine with version 15.

Changed the channel trees to match the trees on the western front map
Adjusted the color of rivers and lakes (a little less blue)
Fixed the fourth balloon that wouldn't flame
AI adjustments:
*Spad AI should be a little more dangerous and fight more cohesively
*Dolphin AI will dogfight instead of trying (badly) to run away.
*Novice/normal/veteran/ace aiming parameters set to default for most scouts. Messing with these doesn't really seem to help.
*Increased "engage distance" for some scouts from 400m to 500m.

Small fix so that balloons can still be flamed with 7.7mm ammunition.

Includes fubar's engine textures.
Sun glare no longer looks star shaped.
Lens flare is removed.
Sector limits added to Fee gunner. He no longer fires through the prop or wing struts.

AI changes:
AI scout tactics are improved. AI pilots use "boom n' zoom" tactics for the appropriate aircraft. Novice pilots periodically lose their SA and can be bounced. The frequency of split-s tactics and downward spirals is reduced as well. When dogfighting, two-seaters should not use inverted defensive maneuvers at all (you might see it when they are offensive because that is just a game limitation). Lastly, the AI gunners are much more responsive than in default Rise of Flight, and shoot much more accurately.

Weapon Changes:
Rates of fire have been reduced to more probable values. German scouts no long have such a stupendous firepower advantage in 1916 and early 1917, and they are at a firepower disadvantage later in the war. However, the biggest change of all is reduced damage against wings and stabilizers. It is now very important to move to close range and fire at the engine and pilot. Tracer frequency is reduced to 1:5, compared to the default 1:2.

Flak:
There is no ambient flak. Any flak you see is exploding near an aircraft. Flak accuracy is reduced but it is still dangerous. You can avoid flak by flying very low to the ground; just watch out for machine gunners!

Bombs:
Some numerical errors in the scripts for bombs have been fixed, though I'm yet to see if the bugs caused a problem before. The more important difference is that there are no delayed bomb fuzes. Take care to swerve to avoid bomb blasts at low altitude.

Graphics:
The loading screen features trenches instead of a movie theater. Oil splatter on your goggles has a different look. The color of the channel is no longer cobalt blue. So far no one has made a comparable mod for making the shoreline less tropical, but the ocean color change is a step in the right direction.

Please discuss other changes you would like to see included. For example, should I include Ankor's no-shimmering mod?

If you are going to use this mod to replace the individual mods in your JSGME folder, then you can remove these "modpack" folders:

AI gunner mod
loading screen
no delayed bomb fuzes
no ambient flak
oil splatter by featheredIV
reduced tracer frequency
Water color less blue
AI pilots
reduced flak accuracy
AI pilot awareness
rate of fire

Thanks to these virtual pilots for this mod:
ankor85
avimimus
bbob
criquet
featherediv
fubar
mattm
panthercules
reflected
richy133
TheDude

Attached Files

#2 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:27

FOR NEW PILOTS

If you are new to Rise of Flight mods and would like to try this out…

1. Download the "RoF Refined" zip file in the post above.

2. Unpack the zip file into your root Rise of Flight directory: program files\777\Rise of Flight

3. Open the JSGME exe, select "RoF Refined" from the list of mods in the left column, and use the arrow button to enable it (moved to the right column).

4. Go to the "game settings" menu in the RoF launcher, and select "modifications on."

And you are done! You can also deselect modifications on, and the mod can easily be removed by reopening the JSGME exe and disabling it.

#3 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:40

Thanks, Gavagai. It's great to have it all in one package and it really adresses some big issues.

You say the gunners are more dangerous. Is this Avimimus' gunner AI mod? If not, I would suggest using that one since it's very refined. Also if it's not included, please use Avimimus' gunner positions mod, because the gunners are already very scary (even at long distance) in vanilla, and making them more scary should be compensated with the gunner positions mod that also gives them some more realistic limitations, based on each type of mount.

(at least that's how I understand his mods, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Another idea: include Matt's mod that removes the lens flare.

Include Fubar's engine skins

Possibly include better overcast and smart blur. Although I believe these were still a bit experimental and might not be an improvement on everyone's system? not sure.

#4 Raine

Raine

Posted 12 October 2013 - 13:06

Womderful addition, Gavagai! Thank you. I second Jorri's suggestion. I'd like to see real blind spots combined with the more responsive gunners in two-seaters.

#5 theMoxy

theMoxy

Posted 12 October 2013 - 13:19

Wait…shouldn't this kit be unzipped into the mods folder if we are to see it appear in JSGME?

#6 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 12 October 2013 - 13:28

Thanks a lot, Gav!

#7 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 12 October 2013 - 13:28

No Moxy. I have included the JSGME exe for people who have never tried mods before. If you already have a JSGME folder, then I expected that you would know what to do with the download.

————

Good suggestions Jorri. The number of things I can include is limited if I want to host this as a forum attachment. Otherwise I will need to host the download at mediafire or something. Please link any mods you propose for inclusion that you believe are very good.

As for AI gunners, the big problem was that the Fee gunner would almost never stand up and fire, and when he did, he couldn't hit squat. Try this mod out (normal or veteran gunners), and I think you'll agree that the combination of changes makes it an interesting challenge. For example, your aircraft can take more hits now before sustaining critical damage. What I have done here is *not* compatible with avimimus' changes to the AI gunners, but you could overwrite this mod by simply enabling his mod after this one.

Consider this a trial version that is open to revision.

#8 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 12 October 2013 - 13:46

Thanks for both mods and handy package gav, downloaded :S!:. Is there a point -in long run - in making a separate copy of RoF directory for moded game?

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#9 arthursmedley

arthursmedley

Posted 12 October 2013 - 15:45

Nice one Gav. Will be using them in my PWCG careers. Appreciate it. :S!:

#10 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 12 October 2013 - 15:53

Thanks Gav.

And, please, when you revamp them (and I'm sure you will) give them a version number or a date so folks know whether they have the latest.

:S!:

#11 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 12 October 2013 - 19:51

Thanks! I've always been too lazy to get the proper AI and gunnery mods. Perhaps it is time to try them.

As for my graphics mods, specifically smart blur and no-shimmering one - it seems they no longer work with 1.031. To sped up the game startup time devs changed the way shaders are loaded (let me just say they didn't invent anything smart, they just stopped doing something stupid) and now old shader mods no longer have any effect. It may be possible to update them for 1.031 but I haven't bothered to try it yet.

The overcast mod should work, at least its original version which just changes one texture. Though I think I also made a version with modified shaders and it won't work anymore.

#12 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 13 October 2013 - 00:06

Well done, thanks Gav, my extremely confused state is back to my normal confused state.

#13 Cybermat47

Cybermat47
  • LocationNew South Wales, Australia

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:20

Good job!
"If I could only have brought him down alive."
- Lieutenant Arthur Rhys-Davids, recalling his victory over Leutnant Werner Voss.

#14 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:56

You should add the no ambiant flak over front line too! ;)

#15 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:29

It's included already. :S!:

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#16 fokkerfrei

fokkerfrei

Posted 13 October 2013 - 13:16

Gavagai, thank you for your work. After flying online exclusively in the past, this could be an inspiration to try a campaign again.

I did install your mod package, but my in-cockpit-sight moved out of centre and into a fisheye view, even with "mods off". When i disable ROF Refined in JSGME, Cockpit view is set as usual. (I heard about several FOV mods but i want to stay with the default view.)

My question is, which file is changed here, is there a simple way to use the ROF Refined mod but avoid those FOV changes. I am not a tech expert, so sorry for my amateurish request.

Best regards
ff

#17 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 13 October 2013 - 13:26

I have no idea what happened there fokkerfrei. It sounds like your snap view settings were messed up. If that happens again, you can adjust your view with pageup, pagedown, insert, home, delete, and end. Zoom in and out to adjust the field of view. When you have it where you want it, press f10 to save. You will need to disable trackir with f9 during this process.

#18 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 13 October 2013 - 13:28

You have a folder called Snapviews in RoF\data\LuaScripts there are all your Views,Snapviews etc. stored. Just make a Backup from this folder and copy it over when you have activated the mod.

Edit: In the RoF Refined\data\Luascript folder there is a Snapview Folder. No idea if it should be in there,this is propably what causes the problems. Had the same Yesterday, losing all my snapviews etc. but I haven't thought of the Mod causing the problems.

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#19 Blade_meister

Blade_meister

Posted 13 October 2013 - 13:33

Nice Gav! Do include the Engine skin Mod, as they are absolutely beautiful. I did a similar thing with PWCG skins, I combined all of the Central skins into one JSGME Install and the Entente Skins into one JSGME install. It makes using them so much easier and keeps the JSGME Menu shorter and cleaner.

S!Blade<><

#20 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 13 October 2013 - 13:37

Oh duh, so I messed up everyone's snap views? My bad. Will fix that right away.

#21 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 13 October 2013 - 13:57

Everyone who downloaded 0.1:

Disable the mod with JSGME, and DELETE it from \Rise of Flight\JSGMEMODS. Download 0.11 and install it like normal. That is the easy way to be sure the snap view folder is not included.

Or you can just delete the snap view folder manually from the jsgme folder. Again, sorry about the screw up.

————————

There are two lens flare disablers. The one panthercules links also makes the sun more round instead of star-shaped. I'm leaning toward a more round sun. Yes?

Before:

After:

#22 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 13 October 2013 - 13:59

Yes, the round sun looks better!

'sound' should be 'sun', btw.

#23 fokkerfrei

fokkerfrei

Posted 13 October 2013 - 15:17

Works for me! Thank you again.

#24 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:10

Looking forward to trying this out - thanks for putting this stuff together (and especially for explaining what's in it - hard to keep track of what's in and what's not these days).

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#25 Uwe_W.

Uwe_W.
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:58

Gav, is it possible to reduce the arbitrary 4 rounds it takes to kill a pilot?

#26 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:56

In principle that can be adjusted, but the application does not seem to accept my changes. A long time ago I was able to reduce the number of bullet to kill a bot gunner from 4 to 2, but then a patch made it no longer work.

PatWilson had a good suggestion that the number of bullets to kill a pilot should be random. Sometimes it might take 4, and sometimes just 1. But we can't do that. What would you suggest, 2 or 3 bullets to kill a bot pilot or gunner?

With the reduced lethality I was still able to shoot down 5 Albatrosses with the single-gun 180hp Spad 7 last night. Every single one was a pilot kill.

#27 elephant

elephant

Posted 14 October 2013 - 13:08

Thanks a lot for this Mod bundle, gav! :D
I have to re-install RoF after a recent computer melt down… :roll:
Actually haven't played for several months, since PWCG v. 12!

About the sun shape, I'm also for the rounded one…
(the star shaped looks like another lens effect)

:S!:

#28 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 14 October 2013 - 15:44

Now that I have tried the bundle… is there an easy way to modify it so I can turn on/off individual pieces via JSGME? Or would it be much problem for gav to make two zips, one with single mod and other with selective enabling?

I really like the realism modifications, but some aesthetic changes (*for instance* - blood /oil splatter, loading screen) don't work for me. Will deleting the files work, or are there some configuration files from which I need to edit these files out? I wouldn't want to delete just half of mods files and apply other half if names are not obvious :), either .

Forum moderator.

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#29 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 14 October 2013 - 15:49

Trup, as you've discovered, that's the problem with a "one size fits all" Mod. Unless it offers a full menu of individual choices it forces you to use Mods you don't like or want. Pass.

#30 Sabre

Sabre

Posted 14 October 2013 - 16:18

The overcast mod should work, at least its original version which just changes one texture. Though I think I also made a version with modified shaders and it won't work anymore.

Where can I find the overcast mod?

Thanks,
Sabre.

#31 Sabre

Sabre

Posted 14 October 2013 - 16:31

In the manual version here (http://riseofflight....&hilit=overcast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=278&t=29947&hilit=overcast) there's only nm.bmp file. Should it still work?

Thanks,
Sabre.

#32 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 October 2013 - 22:42

Now that I have tried the bundle… is there an easy way to modify it so I can turn on/off individual pieces via JSGME? Or would it be much problem for gav to make two zips, one with single mod and other with selective enabling?

I really like the realism modifications, but some aesthetic changes (*for instance* - blood /oil splatter, loading screen) don't work for me. Will deleting the files work, or are there some configuration files from which I need to edit these files out? I wouldn't want to delete just half of mods files and apply other half if names are not obvious :), either .

What HT said. This is moving toward a conversion rather than an a la carte buffet.

When you say "don't work," do you just mean that you don't like them? At this point I am just doing this stuff in order to share how I like to play Rise of Flight. If you don't like it I don't take any offense, but I'm not going to make a bunch of different installs when the point was to streamline everything.

If you don't want those things you can just delete them: \data\graphics\textures\effects for the oil splatter

and \data\swf for the loading screen. :S!:

#33 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:13

Sure, I think I understand what you're trying to do. I guess I'll learn how I like to play RoF, using your streamlined version as starting point and adapting by trial and error. Hope you don't mind :S!: ?

Oh, and by aesthetic mods "not working" for me I mean they make game look less believable or more artificial (won't use word realistic, never had face full of oil before). No compability errors with my computer, just with my suspense of disbelief.

However I end up using it, thanks again for all your work, both in modding and in compiling this conversion.

Forum moderator.

#34 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 17 October 2013 - 20:18

Man this mod is like a glass of water in the desert! Great job! I live the new rates of fire, finally not every kill is a wing shredder, and you really have to go close before you shoot. It made RoF much, much more realistic. Thank you!

#35 O_Caldwell

O_Caldwell

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:13

Man this mod is like a glass of water in the desert! Great job! I live the new rates of fire, finally not every kill is a wing shredder, and you really have to go close before you shoot. It made RoF much, much more realistic. Thank you!

Big +1 on that.

Great mod and thank you gavagai. :S!:

#36 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:22

Few observatiots after trying as many careers as I can…

The Good: One of these flights of S.E.5s that often circle aimlessly over player airfield in German career raided the field while my flight was still taking off instead :D. AI planes show much more initiative now, interesting side effect of mod that affects their piloting rather than decision making? I love that part.

The Bad: Single vickers gun (like on early sopwithes) is very powerful with the mod. Even without the mod it was bad wing shredder and had to be fired at pilot or engine with some precision; with the mod a quick burst in general direction of pilot effortlessly downs Eindeckers and Albatroses.

The Ugly: The Fee AI gunner can now shoot at planes flying behind and below, through propeller and engine…

Forum moderator.

#37 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:45

The observation about the single vickers puzzles me. I reduced its rate of fire and reduced its lethality. There is no way it should be more powerful.

The Fee gunner's sector limits are unchanged. 777 explicitly allows gunners to fire through solid aircraft parts as a kind of balance. The only difference you see there is that the Fee gunner is actually opening fire. At this point, the multicrew aircraft with revised sector limits in the mod are the DFW, Breguet, F.2b, Re8, HP400, and Gotha.

#38 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:08

It's just an observation, but fighting AI Albatroses in a Triplane (or a Pup) was always about repeatedly trying to hit pilot at close range to me, now it seems the first burst good enough to make plane start belching smoke downs i toutright. Even more strange as the AI is less predictable and harder to follow and hit now. Maybe I just got lucky few times in row, or more cautious when fighting new AIs. Or maybe these epileptic AI moves you mentioned in other thread jinked plane and made pilot harder to hit?

On the other hand, I just got fired upon by gunner of Fee that was flying away from me, while I was diving away from it; he was definetly firing downwards and backwards. EDIT: I see your explanation now, thank you.

(On yet other hand, AIs trying to disengage do it in much less stupid way, ie S.E.5s try to outclimb rather than fly straight and slow. Many behaviours from stock career make more sense now that AIs are more confident with their planes :S!: . )

Forum moderator.

#39 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:25

One thing I have noticed is that prior to loading this I could get away with getting under a 2 seater out of view of the rear gunner and occasionally downing one. Now it is suicide, they get me every time.

#40 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:38

I looked at the Fee gunner script, and 777 gave it no sector limits at all. That means that if the gunner can see you between his aircraft's wings, he'll shoot between the wings. That seems dubious to me. I have never agreed with 777's approach to this, and they've never agreed with mine.

I'll look into some reasonable sector limits for the next revision.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users