Photo
- - - - -

to STEAM or not to STEAM

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 -Snow-

-Snow-

Posted 16 September 2013 - 14:43

I have a couple of games that I have loaded through STEAM (Call of Duty, Left4Dead2, Witcher 2), it seems to be a real pain. I never know if I have the latest patch or want to add content. What is the general advice? Do I buy and play ROF through STEAM or not?

#2 von_Semmel

von_Semmel
  • LocationGermany / Munich

Posted 16 September 2013 - 15:06

I think steam makes sence if you havnt bought any planes yet

#3 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 16 September 2013 - 18:00

Hiya Snow,

If you're not enjoying Steam as a platform, I'd say you should avoid it for RoF.

The advantage of the non-Steam version, is that you can buy all planes and additions seperately, without being forced to purchase an entire package.

#4 -Snow-

-Snow-

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:10

What about patches? I played Witcher 2 for a while and was never sure what version I had and where to get patches. How does that work for ROF?

#5 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:50

You just update through the RoF launcher. If you don't want to update you can play in the offline mode (but you'll miss a few features).

Do what Jorri says. Download the f2p client and buy the things you actually want.

#6 Shutter

Shutter
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 23 September 2013 - 14:05

I am not a fan of STEAM as a platform.
I would suggest going with the Ultra Upgrade.
You'll get the most planes and be able to buy whatever else you want.

http://riseofflight....emoultraupgrade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://riseofflight....en/store/demoup … traupgrade

#7 Black_Roger

Black_Roger
  • LocationSouthern Tasmania, Australia

Posted 23 September 2013 - 14:10

Could just be me but my son bought a kid's game that had to be activated through Steam. As soon as I activated an account with Steam my computer started acting very strangely and was constantly updating making a shut down take up to 40 minutes. I KNOW this can be configured to be different but I wonder why Steam made my computer change the way it did things. I've since deleted my son's game (he lost interest…Minecraft was way better) and no more problems.
I'm new to the game here…about a week. I bought the Iron Cross version on disc by ordering it online. I believe I received six flyable planes with it plus a hard copy manual, a map and a poster. These things are kinda nice. I've also since bought a couple of aircraft and mods from the store…a new flyable plane for two bucks? Hard to say 'No'really. See where I'm headed with this post?
Forgive what may be an ignorant comment on my part but why involve a third party in your life? Keep it between you and 777 as I have. Works fine.

#8 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 23 September 2013 - 14:26

Steam is alright on my end, but I'd still definitely recommend going directly to RoF, they have some pretty good specials now and again which I doubt Steam will be able to keep up with.

#9 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 23 September 2013 - 14:27

And the game does a fine job of updating, the moment there is a new update and you attempt to log in online, it lets you know (and won't let you log in).

#10 Cybermat47

Cybermat47
  • LocationNew South Wales, Australia

Posted 23 September 2013 - 22:35

Steam is a very good piece of software, but I'd recommend just getting the F2P client from here.
"If I could only have brought him down alive."
- Lieutenant Arthur Rhys-Davids, recalling his victory over Leutnant Werner Voss.

#11 captgeo

captgeo
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:37

I already regret getting this game through Steam, its a pain in the ass too find files, (yes I know how now)you have to find the upgrade file and get them manually(as far as I know,correct me if I am wrong please)and the pkg's of DLC are expensive.

If I would have known that I could have downloaded this game from here I would have. :oops:

#12 -Snow-

-Snow-

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:35

Thanks everyone, I am happy or maybe sad to see that I am not the only one that has had some issues with the way STEAM does their computer. I finally found a way to keep STEAM from activating every time I booted up. This stopped a number of problems, one of which is that my computer would not go into a self shutdown mode as STEAM would not close.

I will go straight to the vendor then and not go through STEAM. I see that the Iron Cross version is available through Amazon.com. As the delivery date for my joystick isn't until the 9th of October, I guess I have plenty of time to order the game. Is there a better version out there to order that will provide a manual that I can actually hold in my hand? I noticed that the demo upgrade is the same as the iron cross version but you need to download the manual and the maps and then print them…is there a way to just buy the documents? Also, does the IC version come with the appropriate weapon and aircraft mods or do you still need to buy those separate?

Sorry for all the newbie questions

#13 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:14

Hi SNOW,

I'm afraid that no version comes with the proper printed manual. The manual has only recently been created, mostly by community members, and it's a 'working document' (it still gets updated every once in a while). So the best you can do is print it yourself and make a booklet out of it.

The ICE version does not come with any weapon mods or field mods, just the listed planes.

Any more questions, let us know!

#14 captgeo

captgeo
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Posted 28 September 2013 - 14:11

ok, here we go, since I went and got the steam version of the game, I have searched the files of the Rof file,and I am trying to find a way to play the game offline without having steam online, anybody that can help that has found a way to do this please let me know

#15 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 28 September 2013 - 14:45

Did you find the rof.exe?

If you go to your Steam installation root folder, you will find it in:

steamapps\common\Rise of Flight 2.0\bin_game\release

If you use this, you can start RoF without Steam running. You can also use Settings.exe, which is what most of us non-Steamers use to start Rise of Flight.

If you do have Steam running, there is another way to quickly access your Rise of Flight folder. Right click Rise of Flight in your Steam games list, click properties, go to the local files tab, and click 'browse local files'.

#16 captgeo

captgeo
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Posted 28 September 2013 - 17:38

Did you find the rof.exe?

If you go to your Steam installation root folder, you will find it in:

steamapps\common\Rise of Flight 2.0\bin_game\release

If you use this, you can start RoF without Steam running. You can also use Settings.exe, which is what most of us non-Steamers use to start Rise of Flight.

If you do have Steam running, there is another way to quickly access your Rise of Flight folder. Right click Rise of Flight in your Steam games list, click properties, go to the local files tab, and click 'browse local files'.
excellent, ok found it,works great,I hated the fact that I had to login to steam to play this GREAT game. :S!: 8-)

#17 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 28 September 2013 - 17:54

:S!:

#18 -Snow-

-Snow-

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:46

Thanks for the great tip on how to play offline without STEAM, guess I will wait until I get home and download the game and then download the ICE upgrade…since it doesn't look like there is much of a benefit to pay the extra $12 for the boxed game.

I found the manual and it looks great, is there a printable version that leaves out all of the colored background, thus is easier to print? :S!:

#19 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:33

I'm afraid there isn't but it's a bloody good idea! Perhaps you can contact LukeFF, the main author, and ask if he can make one for you.

#20 -Snow-

-Snow-

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:49

I would be more than happy to do the conversion, will try to contact the author and see if he is interested…should be a pretty simple cut and paste.

I noticed that there are a lot of squadrons around, how do you find out about them and get to know them a little? I live on the West Coast of US (California) any active groups working in that time zone?

#21 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:51

Most flying is done in the European evening hours. I know Syndicate has a few American members, though, and their is the squadron running the biggest Rise of Flight server. Perhaps you could check them out.

#22 captgeo

captgeo
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Posted 29 September 2013 - 14:38

The NFF servers are US based and usually active late at night my time (EDT) 10pm and later

#23 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 29 September 2013 - 14:40

Ha I didn't even know that, it's nice to hear there is some good American action going on as well! The NFF and NW servers are great for starting pilots as well, because the people there are very friendly and willing to help out with any question you might have.

#24 TorgSmith

TorgSmith

Posted 29 September 2013 - 20:37

On the Steam note. I do not have any problems with Steam. Some games you can setup to run in offline mode.

The one problem with server authentication DRM is if the server is down, you cant play. With that in mind, purchasing games through Steam is fine. Just don't purchase all your games through Steam. Purchase them through other stores as well. This way, if the Steam server is down, you do not loose access to all your games.

#25 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 29 September 2013 - 20:45

You can always login to Steam offline.

#26 -Snow-

-Snow-

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:13

After all the conversation, I think I will go directly to 777 to buy the game. I did get a nice note from them in answer to an email where they told me that I can buy aircraft with both mods as a package deal. I cant seem to find that on the website. Can someone tell me where I might look…also any suggestions as to other aircraft (I will also buy the ICE upgrade) would be helpful as I want to start playing in multiplayer as soon as I acquire the right skills.

#27 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:38

Hi Snow, the package deals are only on Steam.

#28 -Snow-

-Snow-

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:50

Thanks HQ-Jorri, I guess I will pass on the packages then as I am not a STEAM fan, but you alreadz know that. Will just buy ICE and pay for the mods as I need them. Just like almost everyone else. :S!: THANKS

#29 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:14

Seems the best thing to do, indeed!

#30 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:33

Thanks HQ-Jorri, I guess I will pass on the packages then as I am not a STEAM fan, but you alreadz know that. Will just buy ICE and pay for the mods as I need them. Just like almost everyone else. :S!: THANKS

You don't need the weapon mods. I am yet to even try the free weapon mods for the Spad 13 and Albatros D.Va, and I haven't bought any of the others. Probably half were never used in combat in WW1, and a quarter were extremely rare.

#31 TorgSmith

TorgSmith

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:13

I like the extra instruments. I am a flight sim enthusiast and struggle with the limited information in the cockpit. :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users