- - - - -

XBOX360 Controller Profile

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 12 September 2013 - 14:12

Hi all,

I've made an XBOX 360 controller profile that should help people who don't have a joystick, or who just prefer to fly with a controller. It's attached to this post.

To use this:

Extract the files into the /data/input folder in your main Rise of Flight folder

(for Steam users: to get to your main Rise of Flight folder, right click Rise of Flight in your games database, choose properties, and find the 'browse local files' folder).

Then in Rise of Flight, go into Options, and to Controls. There, click the little folder icon on the top right, and select the XBOX360 profile.

Click apply.

Go to Responses, and do the same. Click apply.

The xbox360 controller profile and responses profile should now be active for you.

Some info and tips:

This profile lends itself to flying at all difficulty levels, even full realism. However, the small joystick and unorthodox positioning of the rudder controls. do make it more difficult to fly coordinated manoeuvres, than a traditional joystick.

The rudder is essential on any manoeuvre in any of Rise of Flight's planes. If you find yourself falling out of the sky too much, or your plane not following your control inputs, you are not using it enough.

These WWI planes have very sensitive controls. Especially the elevators. This problem becomes bigger with the tiny controller joystick. For controlled manoeuvres, only give very small control inputs. If you find yourself only correcting your plane every other second, from one way to the other, you just need more practice. Perform some casual flights with no enemies, and practice taking off and flying easy circuits, and landing. You must be able to fly before you can fight.

Most WWI planes are tail heavy, so get used to holding the nose down.

Easy planes to start flying with are the Albatroses, the Fokker biplanes, the Pfalz D.IIIa and the Sopwith Pup.

The response file that has been included change the response of the camera controls, making it less twitchy, especially since the controller joysticks are known to start spiking a bit.

Attached File  XBOX360.zip   3.36KB   1633 downloads

Attached File  xbox360 controller layout.png   80.68KB   2470 downloads

PS: If you have any tips, run into any faults with the profile (like mirrored axis), let me know.

#2 Scott_Steiner

Scott_Steiner
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:46

Jorri, you are going the extra mile, I've seen all your posts in the steam forums too. :S!:

#3 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:12

Great post! Thanks, Jorri!

I fly with the controller and find it quite enjoyable - you get everything at your hands: flight controls with rudder, guns, engine and can freely look around!
However I also agree that small sticks are too difficult to move precisely, especially when you have to shot at someone. With some practice you will be mostly OK against AI planes (although I still can't beat the last training mission :evil: but that's another story), however getting into multiplayer dogfights is a real challenge.
Setting up S-curves may help or may make things even more difficult depending on the personal flying style, so I can advice here.

Some thoughts about the profile and the controller:
It has radiator and mixture control and some other functions, which I personally keep on the keyboard. Of course someone may want to play with the gamepad only, but I still recommend having keyboard and mouse lying around for additional functions like switching views or getting into the menu ;)

Instead of just moving head left or right I use snap-views set to the leftmost/rightmost head position. Good thing is that they can be customized per plane to get the best view, but that's a bit more advanced that most new players are ready to do. I still recommend figuring out how snap-views work :)

Although blip-switch and "fire personal weapon" seem to be good choice for thumb-stick click I find sticks too stiff to click which throws off the aim. That's why I try not to use them this way, but maybe with some practice it could be ok. I set up the right stick click to be "fire overwing weapons" which is useful as you have to look up and fire at the same time (still has to press it very carefully).

I haven't tested it, but I think one of the buttons can be configured to work like a modifier key (i.e. in the same way as "shift", "alt" or "control") thus allowing to have additional options. I know this cannot be set from game UI, but may be possible by edit config files manually.

D-Pad (the one at the bottom-left) actually recognizes "left-up", "right-up", "left-bottom", "right-bottom" positions as separate inputs (which can be configured in ROF), but it is too difficult to reliably press it this way. This D-Pad seems to be the worst part of the really nice Xbox controller.

Why Microsoft made a huge round button in the center which cannot be used for anything meaningful? I suppose it does something on the actual xbox, but not on the PC :roll:

Finally, there is non-microsoft controllers which may work with this profile as well (maybe with some tweaks(, what is the most important is that the controller must have analogue triggers to be used for rudder. Some controllers just have "on-off" triggers which aren't suitable because in ROF you need precise rudder control (although there is a difficulty option to have "auto rudder", I'm not sure how it works).

#4 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:21

Thanks for your responses, guys!

Ankor,

Yeah, now that I'm trying the controller a bit more, I'm actually liking it as well. It's very easy to just pick up and play, and you have everything available on 1 controller.

This is also why I put radiator and mixture on there. I wanted everything but the service keys and level bombing controls to be on the controller. Actually I would have liked level autopilot and the map key to be on it as well, but I'm lacking controls to assign them to :)

Of course there are the additional directions on the D-pad, but I think they're too fiddly and if you try to press them, you usually end up pressing one of the main directions anyway. So I left them unbound.

The reason I didn't do snap views, is because they don't allow you to look around. The move head left and move head right actually work very intuitively: you can stick your head outside the window and look around freely with the right joystick. Centering your head again is easily done as well.

Of course mixture takes up two controls now. But the radiator is bound to the throttle controls so you move them at the same time. This might not result in the ideal engine temperature, but it is enough to always prevent overheating or overcooling.

I tried the 'shift' function but couldn't get it to work on the controller, only on the keyboard.

The great button in the middle is used on the xbox to open the xbox menu. I could not assign it either on the PC :(.

And yeah, if a controller doesn't have analogue triggers this profile might not work. On the other hand, it might still be better than auto rudder, I don't know.

#5 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:11

What I forgot to mention - default Microsoft drivers for the controller just su are not quite good.

For example they don't support force feedback (rumble) at all, but with custom drivers you can enable it and this will make flying even more enjoyable. For example you will feel when plane is about to stall because the controller will start shaking. Of course this is not real force feedback as on serious joysticks but it's still something cool.

I may write a post about custom drivers if anyone is interested (and by the way it seems that I just found the driver which supports the "big round button" :) ).

#6 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:17

I'm very interested in drivers like this!

And the correct term would be 'force vibration' for this kind of function.

#7 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:45

Great work, Jorri :S!: . One more thing that should be pined in that forum.

I fly with the controller and find it quite enjoyable - you get everything at your hands: flight controls with rudder, guns, engine and can freely look around!
However I also agree that small sticks are too difficult to move precisely, especially when you have to shot at someone. With some practice you will be mostly OK against AI planes (although I still can't beat the last training mission :evil: but that's another story), however getting into multiplayer dogfights is a real challenge.

Thanks for your responses, guys!

Ankor,

Yeah, now that I'm trying the controller a bit more, I'm actually liking it as well. It's very easy to just pick up and play, and you have everything available on 1 controller.

This is also why I put radiator and mixture on there. I wanted everything but the service keys and level bombing controls to be on the controller. Actually I would have liked level autopilot and the map key to be on it as well, but I'm lacking controls to assign them to :)

There is only one way… combine best of both worlds into Microsoft Spade Grip!

Looks like steam forums inspired us in different ways, Jorri ;) . Surprisingly, it seems to work and add to control precision.

Attached Files

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#8 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 13 September 2013 - 13:26

Hm, now put that joystick on the floor and replace the standard grip of the MSFFB2 with a metal bar……

#9 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 13 September 2013 - 13:29

Nice one Jorri. I recently liberated a couple of controllers that a neighbor was getting rid of. They look like they may come in rather handy. I was wondering if they could be used as a sort of poor-man's hotas.

#10 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 13 September 2013 - 18:35

Now I'll describe how to get force feedback vibration (though technically it's still "feedback") in the XBox360 controller :)

First, let's do a simple test: run DxDiag (Win+R, then type dxdiag) and go to Input tab. There you should see a table with a row for Xbox 360 controller with the last column called "Force Feedback Driver" most likely showing N/A.
I didn't know that there are two separate drivers: one just to make joystick work and another to support FFB. Microsoft didn't provide FFB driver for Xbox360 controller in DirectInput mode (and ROF uses DirectInput). However some games (for example Just Cause 2, yes I know it's silly) still provide vibration feedback because they use different technique called XInput which was made specifically for this controller.

This is important detail because at first I believed that drivers have to be replced completely to allow vibration support for ROF, but the problem is that by replacing original Microsoft drivers we lose XInput support and some games stop recognizing the gamepad.
Fortunately one Japanese programmer (Masahiko Morii) has made a FFB driver for the gamepad which is easily installed and just works :)

You can get it from this page: http://lavendy.net/special/driver/xi/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://lavendy.net/special/driver/xi/
The page is in Japanese, but all you have to understand is which version do you need. English version for Windows 7 x64 is here http://lavendy.net/s...win7.x64.en.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://lavendy.net/s...win7.x64.en.zip

Download the archive and run MSI installer. Let it do its job and enjoy your vibrating gamepad :)

To verify run DxDiag again and check that there's now a path to xiffd.dll in FFB driver column.

But wait, there's more!

The same Japanese guy also made a full replacement drivers which not just enable vibration but allow reconfiguring axes, buttons (including enabling the center one), adjusting dead-zones and even making output fit a square instead of a circle! The latter is an interesting option because otherwise you can't fully deflect elevator and ailerons at the same time without fiddling with response curves.

The drawback which I described in a spoiler is that by using his drivers you lose support for some games which are native to Xbox controller. This can be solved either by manually switching drivers depending on the game you want to play (it can be done in about a minute) or by a special tool called "x360ce" - Xbox360 controller emulator. I haven't really tried this tool because it is easy enough to switch drivers.
If you opt for x360ce you will be using an actual Xbox controller to emulate generic gamepad with custom drivers which will be used to emulate Xbox controller via this tool.
Kind of silly, but may work :)

The custom drivers are here (again Japanese page): http://lavendy.net/s...l/driver/x360c/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://lavendy.net/s...l/driver/x360c/
I won't describe all options right now.
I just want to recommend creating a windows restore point before installing them because completely removing these drivers is not very obvious process.
That's why I also do NOT recommend installing them if you don't feel adventurous or don't understand what you want to get :)

#11 gad11

gad11

Posted 10 January 2014 - 16:07

THanks for posting this. Just got the game last night and the default 360 setup was bad. Your setup is much better. Thanks again.

#12 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 10 January 2014 - 16:11

Thanks, I'm glad to hear it works well!

#13 Fritz-Fraghof

Fritz-Fraghof

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:02

I want to say a big thank you for AnKor85 for sharing all the information about Xbox 360 force feedback mod.

And thank you to Jorri for sharing your xbox360 controller config files.

Thanks to you two, at last I can play Rise of Flight 'properly' with an Xbox 360 controller. And it is just fantastic! And with force feedback, it's so much more immersive.

There's just one more thing I am struggling to do with the Xbox 360 controller. With the external view of your plane, the one where you can rotate about in every direction with the camera. I can't work out how to make the right stick appropriately sensitive. The slightest touch of the right stick makes the external camera crazy. I have tried adjusting the camera response curves, but it doesn't seem to help.

#14 Ancientwolf25

Ancientwolf25

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:15

The only thing that works is the left analog stick!!!!! HELP

#15 Timothy0921

Timothy0921

Posted 25 September 2015 - 23:43

Jorri,

I've been using this profile of yours for a couple of years now, and just now realized I never thanked you for your excellent work. Entirely remiss of me, so;

THANKS!!!!!  :icon_e_salute: 

#16 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 26 September 2015 - 08:32

Pinned.

Forum moderator.

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#17 Dr_Romeo_Chair

Dr_Romeo_Chair
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:20

Hey folks, RoF newbie here -- just going through the training missions, trying to get set up and finding RoF is no small undertaking...

Just wondering if anyone has tried Pinnacle Game Profiler (http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/) with RoF for xbox controller mapping? I used it on FPS games when I first switched from console to PC (before biting the bullet and learning to love KB/M) and it did a very good job. Not sure how it would compare to using the profile posted here (well, Pinnacle costs $10, but it has lots of other uses).

I have a Thrustmaster HOTAS joystick and will probably go through the learning curve with that. Still, there's a lot to be said for sitting on the couch with a wireless game controller once in awhile...

Speaking of sitting on the couch, Steam is releasing their Steam Link box and Steam Controller in a few days... they claim the  new controller works with games that have no native controller support, so it must have some kind of mapping software with it ... will be interesting to see.

Hopefully I'll get good enough for you all to kill me in MP before too long ;^)

-DRC

#18 B1indeye

B1indeye

Posted 06 April 2016 - 22:14

Can you be way more in depth with the Steam one? Exactly where do I extract the xbox 360 zip thing? The game database on my steam account library right?

#19 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:55

I'd try in \steamapps\common\Rise of Flight 2.0\data\input 

Forum moderator.

#20 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:58

You should have a RoF\data\Input folder somewhere. Move the contents of the .zip file in this folder.

Edit: Hah too slow.

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#21 NoFx

NoFx

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:38

thanks a bunch, really helpful. i turned on inverted camera foor looking around, changed the throttle controls so the right button is used to increase speed, left button to decrease it and now its perfect! thanks again!!! :icon_e_salute:

edit: talking about the xbox360 profile an settings off course :)

#22 Dammit_Carl

Dammit_Carl

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:34

I had never, ever thought of using a controller - until now. Guess I know what I'm going to pick up on my way home today!

p.s. Picked up controller (wireless 360 type), dl'ed appropriate stuff and put it where it needs to go and...nothing. Suggestions?

p.p.s. It was a bum controller so nvm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users