Photo
- - - - -

STEAM VERSION GUIDE

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#81 Check6

Check6

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:16

I just purchased the Channel Battles on Steam after being a registered user for some time. I could not work out where I needed to put the key code in to load this game content. So I came here and read your great guide, but it still didn't help me achieve the Channel Battle edition.

I logged in as usual, found the Career Beta section that has the Channel Battle section, and it told me I needed to buy it. I clicked on the career, and it opened up the map and told me I needed to buy the map. When I clicked on that I was sent to another window which told me "TornTV3 has crashed" and nothing I tried got me any further.

After reading your guide, I thought I might have to create a new account (I guess I could create a new account with my key if I first create a new email account just for the Channel Battles (that seems a bit extreme). I logged in using my usual email and password and channel username and entered the new key code, thinking it would just add the game extension onto my existing account, but it told me that there was already an account logged with that name and address, and I could simply login as usual.

Please help me to ADD this to my existing account, and not create a new email address and a new account.

Member of the Australian Society of WW1 Aero Historians

http://www.ww1aero.org.au/

Please, come visit us, check it out, and join us if you want. Plenty of interesting stuff there.

#82 Westfale

Westfale

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:44

So there has been no follow up on the email from sunday evening?
It's me, opti76. :)
Yesterday evening i got a confirmation mail about changing my email adress from my old account.
Now everything works. Bought directly dlc and even that worked fine.
Tonight i'll start with my training course and hopefully we'll meet soon in the online-sky. :mrgreen:

#83 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:46

Nice!

Remember, enjoy the training campaign, but don't get too hung op on those final missions. If you can't complete them, better leave them and come back when you're more proficient. Especially the final mission is very difficult :/.

Best to set up a training flight in an Albatros D.Va for yourself by choosing a skirmish mission in the quick mission generator, and turning off all enemies (and adding enemies again when you feel you're ready).

#84 Zak_1CGS

Zak_1CGS

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:11

Please help me to ADD this to my existing account, and not create a new email address and a new account.

Check6, I'm sorry but previously created ROF accounts are not compatible with those created on Steam. We can't bind your non-Steam account to your new ROF: CBE account.

#85 Check6

Check6

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:40

Zak,

Thank you. I shall create a new email account and add it. At the very least you saved me frustration and pulling out my hair trying to get it to work.

Blue Skies

Member of the Australian Society of WW1 Aero Historians

http://www.ww1aero.org.au/

Please, come visit us, check it out, and join us if you want. Plenty of interesting stuff there.

#86 picpic

picpic

Posted 12 September 2013 - 16:03

I bought the Rise of Flight Channel edition on Steam (£25+). Downloaded the game without too many problems, only to find I can not get it to load. Problems in activation etc. I have followed your instructions without success. I can only access my original basic Rise of Flight
David Davies

#87 Snapp3r

Snapp3r

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:06

Many thanks for bringing this excellent title to Steam. My HOTAS, rudder pedals and trackir had been gathering dust but are now back center stage.
I've grabbed the DLC available on Steam; having spent quite on lot on a simulation capable PC and peripherals the cost for quality software to use it with was not excessive. I know a number of folk who could easily spend as much on a certain freemium tank mmo in a week.
Hopefully the FE2b will be available on Steam sooner rather than later - I'll certainly buy a copy.

My only gripe so far is with the earliest date available to start a career - September 1916 is a long way post Fokker scourge…flying an E3 against more modern allied units I'm feeling decidely on the scourged side of the equation :)

#88 demotricus

demotricus

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:02

Just bought this on steam, - looking good so far! - I`m an FSX, DCS and Xplane 10 user so its a bit different but I`m still impressed by the VR world and game engine, - I`m looking forward to many hours of `combat` (`getting shot down`) lol! ;-)

#89 cothyso

cothyso

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:00

It still saddens me that we cant log in using existing accounts for this game…sigh. Especially since you COULD put the F2P client on there and allow us to play that way. So many other companies do it. Or you could even have our current keys activate on Steam like the owners of Company of Heroes 1 did and bring everyone under one client and banner. If they can do it, well, you high quality professionals can too. Just saying.

We have separate databases. Our system is a bit different and unique than others. I'm sorry that what you want is not possible. As mentioned the only item Steam users have apart from you is the achievements and that was a requirement from Valve. You can also use the Steam overlay with non-steam ROF. We also created bundles for Steam to ease the shopping experience since we have so much extra content now it would be quite confusing to list each item. There are slight advantages to both versions I suppose, but the end result is the same - having a blast with ROF!

I tried for years to get Valve to accept ROF into their store. If we would have been able to accomplish that several years ago, things might be different, but 4 years out, this is the best we can do. There will probably be some bumps along the way with Steam as we get used to their system, but so far it seems to be working ok.

We heartedly welcome anyone who has purchased ROF:CBE through Steam. The war torn skies of WWI await you! Feel free to ask questions, the team and community here is very helpful and friendly!

Jason

Well Jason, can you please explain how DCS World was able to do it (and have DCS World keys accepted and working into Steam in order to allow migration of old users to the DCS World on Steam), and RoF can't? Maybe you should talk with the guys over there and get some directions about how to make this possible..

I'm sorry, but I won't buy anything else for RoF as long as the Steam migration problem is not solved.

thank you,
dan

#90 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:58

Well Jason, can you please explain how DCS World was able to do it (and have DCS World keys accepted and working into Steam in order to allow migration of old users to the DCS World on Steam), and RoF can't? Maybe you should talk with the guys over there and get some directions about how to make this possible..

Probably different database structure / DRM mechanism. Myself, I don't want Jason to lose my account information, or even my career progress from last month, in attempt to get steam compatibility I could not care less about, or to migrate accounts of users that are not me. It's not that I stopped being paying customer once steam version was released :/.

You can log in to Steam version of game with your old account fine, you just need account / planes bought in steam store to get steam archivements. Sounds pretty straightforward, pay through steam to get steam goodies. The DCS guys obviously have reached different agreement with steam (or maybe they just give steam their cut from planes sold through DCS site, dunno). Short of migrating old accounts to steam database (and risking corruption / access problems for non-steam users in case of errors) or giving steam players their non-steam planes for free (???), there is little that can be done.

I'm sorry, but I won't buy anything else for RoF as long as the Steam migration problem is not solved.

thank you,
dan

I have bought every plane so far and I intend to continue buying - there are few things to persuade me otherwise, but spectacular error during living tissue experiments on database containing my purchases might be one of them. I'm glad that 777 does not neglect their old customers to make small concessions to owners of new product I happen to not need :S!: .

Thank you,

Wiktor

(Man, I like the "paying customer" stance, need to use it more often).

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#91 captgeo

captgeo
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:50

well, last 2 pack's I have purchased through steam have had the last 2 digits or letter's missing from the code to activate the purchase, is there a problem that need's to be addressed?, because if I was not a patient paying customer I would NOT purchase another thing through steam.

Sending support tickets and waiting for a reply suck's :cry:

or if there is something I have done, please help me correct my method of purchasing, I am sure that I am not the only one having this "problem"

sorry for the whine post but this is getting silly :roll:

#92 captgeo

captgeo
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Posted 26 September 2013 - 14:14

ok note to all that use steam, I have found the problem, I was viewing steam in the old set up,now that I switched the view to the new version,I can see my keys fully.

sorry to be a pain

#93 captgeo

captgeo
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Posted 01 October 2013 - 21:27

the FE2b is not for sale on steam, am I right about this? :o

#94 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:10

yes :(

I don't know how they are planning to do this. Since they aren't selling planes seperately, will the new planes only go on sale when they have enough to make a full pack?

I'm not sure they've thought this through very well :) but then again this Steam business was a matter of 'release and forget' for them since they still haven't fixed the link to the Manual on Steam, either, and you would think a hotfix would have been in order because about 50% of the new Steam players weren't able to access their game because RoF runs in windowed mode by default with a resolution that has a fat chance of being too big for your monitor.

#95 shayan

shayan

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:47

you could even have current keys activate on Steam like the owners of Company of Heroes on that

#96 RabidOtter

RabidOtter

Posted 27 November 2013 - 15:08

SWEET!
It's been a long time since I have been in the flight Sim world.
And to stumble upon ROF in the steam store has rekindled the Air Sim Fires. :D

But my evil wife has pounced on my plans and wants to give me the game, TrackIR5 and Rudders for my B-Day in December. :(

So….I am off to find a pine box that will accommodate the misses.
Until then, will be seeing you in game soon. ;)

#97 Storm1910

Storm1910

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:54

Newbie RoF. My display start up page extends off the screen so i cant find the option button to adjust my settings??? All my other games fit fine?

#98 skypig583

skypig583

Posted 27 December 2013 - 16:15

there is a sale of 75% off atm on steam (xmas 2013 sale).

so if the steam version requires activation and account creation here, that means if this site/company ever folds, we have a dead game. i'm asking this from a technical point, not to debate policy or troll. have you guys (777) made a patch that would remove activation requirement should the "worse" happen, or is it so genuinely integrated for playing, that if you do fold, the game really is dead. i know i kinda said no politics, but to me, buying games is a long term plan. i have many games and some, i plan on playing years later. i really dislike and get genuinely scared with any game that uses 3rd party drm. i don't even normally buy such games. i mean look at what's happening with GFWL next year. and microsoft is a billion dollar company not in trouble at all. they will close it just because they can.

regardless of the answer here, any game that uses additional drm on top of steam is a game that can have an "expiry" date. that scares me.

also, are you guys actively patching the steam version if/when as required?

#99 BBstacker

BBstacker

Posted 27 December 2013 - 20:55

Have tried log in and get message that the CD key is no good have tried to log in through your site and get the same message.

#100 LargeBaron

LargeBaron

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:23

The start screen controls are inaccessible due to the window being too large ie below the bottom has anyone else had this problem?

#101 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 28 December 2013 - 14:26

guys: send an email to rof@777studios.net and they will support you there.

777 Please also have a look at these issues:

Rise of Flight is wrongly listen on Steam as 'controller enabled': it's not a game that allows you to control the entire GUI with a controller.

The link to the manual on Steam is still broken.

People still have to manually set their resolution in the cfg file and sometimes the settings in the cfg file don't seem to work or carry through.

There is no direct way to open settings.exe, which is the only way to turn off dithering other than using the cfg file.

Also, thanks for pinning Trup's DLC buying guide on the discussion board.

#102 jomardi

jomardi

Posted 28 December 2013 - 19:53

It still saddens me that we cant log in using existing accounts for this game…sigh. Especially since you COULD put the F2P client on there and allow us to play that way. So many other companies do it. Or you could even have our current keys activate on Steam like the owners of Company of Heroes 1 did and bring everyone under one client and banner. If they can do it, well, you high quality professionals can too. Just saying.

Agree. I want play on the steam. I have all of aircraft. Don't want buy them again.

Steam can reduce the pressure to upgrade the server. Can share my game dynamic information and screenshots. My friends who would be interested in ROF, and buy it.
for this reason, I have refused to buy, IL-2 BoS. I know, after release, few months, IL-2 BoS will be at STEAM. a buyers early access…………. itself you guessed it.

#103 ronniedt

ronniedt

Posted 29 December 2013 - 15:35

Hello,I bought the game on Steam a couple of days ago.

However, when I enter the activation key, the 'Activate' button does not work.

I down-loaded the Demo just so I could register with the game and post this message.

I have entered the game key, my two daughters (both in their 30s) have entered the game key, as has my wife, so I doubt we are entering the incorrect game key :?

Any advice on how to change from the Demo to the full game would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

#104 Hydra2

Hydra2

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:11

No {key activation field}, on STEAM ROF Channel Battles Edition.Cannot activate DLC…..NEED HELP!…thankyou

#105 ronniedt

ronniedt

Posted 31 December 2013 - 16:03

ok note to all that use steam, I have found the problem, I was viewing steam in the old set up,now that I switched the view to the new version,I can see my keys fully.

sorry to be a pain

This might be the problem I am having.

How do I switch Steam to the new version?

Thanks

#106 ronniedt

ronniedt

Posted 31 December 2013 - 16:03

sorry to be a pain

This might be the problem I am having.

How do I switch Steam to the new version?

Thanks

#107 ronniedt

ronniedt

Posted 01 January 2014 - 23:07

So, with great enthusiasm, I decided to buy some of the DLC, to wit, Furious Wings.

Steam will not let me add this to my basket so to speak.

Furious Wings is currently on a special holiday offer for another 19 hours or so.

If I cannot get Steam to work in that time frame, I will just give the DLC a miss altogether.

Somebody from ROF needs to talk to somebody from Steam and get this sorted out asap.

A game I cannot pay for and download just seems like a bad business model to me.

Early days for me with ROF, lets hope my gaming experience with your excellent product (I hope)gets better from here on in.

Kind regards,

Ronnie

It would appear that Steam had a slight glitch. so all is good now.

I shall buy a joystick tomorrow - Logitech Extreme, unless some one can suggest a better one for the game.

#108 Storm1910

Storm1910

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:55

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I managed to download and open RoF via Steam but my problem is with the home page size. I could not see the create new account button so activated the download directly on riseoflight.com. However I still cannot see the control buttons of the main menu, which I see from the help section are at the bottom of the home page. All my over games and windows configuration fit on my screen…??

#109 Skycleaner

Skycleaner

Posted 02 January 2014 - 14:19

I applied all what is writen here, but…

I have purchased the game in the Steam Stor, but when I register the key is "invalid".
So I wrote to ROF-Support to fix the problem after creating a newq account, but it seems that there is no support there, because I never bekam an answer.
Can anybody help me? :(

#110 zsmackless1

zsmackless1

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:44

When I click on purchase aircraft in game I am routed to the rof page there i am told that i have to buy through steam. from several frustrating e mails ect it appears that if you have the steam version only the rof stuff on the steam page will be avalible. So no new planes for us or other dlc that I and other would like.
*shigh* is this correct? please tell me there is a way to just purchase and load the dlc.

#111 DraigUK

DraigUK

Posted 04 January 2014 - 15:04

Hi, bought the game on Steam the other day. Just starting to get to grips with it. Starting to enjoy it. So, 777 - few comments for you that hopefully will help :-

Tutorial needs a rework. I'd suggest swapping out that Spad plane for a better one. As a noob it was a terrible plane to try and get to grips with the game. I almost gave up, thought my joystick was messed up and all sorts of stuff. All along it was the "quirks" of the plane itself it seems.

I was a bit taken aback by the fact when I landed at my own airfield I didn't get repaired?

How do I wipe my goggles of this….oil or whatever it is. Most annoying. As soon as an engine takes a hit and oil goes on me I may as well restart because I can't see a damned thing anyway. Engines seem to get hit a lot…

Someone needs to make it clearer what the field packs and weapon packs in the additional content are exactly, what your getting for your money. What is a field mod pack? What is a weapon mod pack? I'm looking at DLC on Steam here "Aces" that seems to imply you want me to pay the cost of a full price game, £19(!)…for some…plane upgrades? I'm probably wrong but that is what it seems to me?

DLC for the cost of full price games on Steam isn't a great idea usually. Smaller packs possibly? Usually I'd expect DLC to be around £5 not £15-19.

All that being said, I'm enjoying the game a lot, thanks for a great product. I'm very much still learning and I'm sure some of the things I said above are stupid, but just saying how I'm looking at things now as a new customer and a noob to the game.

Thanks.

#112 EdwardRichtofen

EdwardRichtofen

Posted 09 January 2014 - 22:46

so there is no way at all to bind accounts together? I bought the channel edition assuming you could and so far have found out you cant and I have the albatross D3,pilot personalization pack 2 and the Fokker DR 1 on my existing account and to me it would seem to be a waste of money to delete them but by not activating my steam version theres a bigger waste of money is there any way I can get all the stuff I purchased and not pull out my hair in frustration in the process?

#113 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:16

so there is no way at all to bind accounts together? I bought the channel edition assuming you could and so far have found out you cant and I have the albatross D3,pilot personalization pack 2 and the Fokker DR 1 on my existing account and to me it would seem to be a waste of money to delete them but by not activating my steam version theres a bigger waste of money is there any way I can get all the stuff I purchased and not pull out my hair in frustration in the process?

No, they are not compatibile :(. You can activate steam account and keep your old account, using one at time.

Hi, bought the game on Steam the other day.

Tutorial needs a rework. I'd suggest swapping out that Spad plane for a better one. As a noob it was a terrible plane to try and get to grips with the game. I almost gave up, thought my joystick was messed up and all sorts of stuff. All along it was the "quirks" of the plane itself it seems.
Hey DraigUK,
the tutorial is a relic from early days of Rise of Flight and can be ignored, there are better training tools in game - use Fly Now scenario, or quick missions, to learn things at your own pace. It becomes stupidly difficult later on.

How do I wipe my goggles of this….oil or whatever it is. Most annoying. As soon as an engine takes a hit and oil goes on me I may as well restart because I can't see a damned thing anyway. Engines seem to get hit a lot…

You wipe your glasses all the time with your scarf, but damaged engine keeps pumping more oil into your face as long it is running. Once engine dies or you shut it down, the vision clears. Of course, by then it's only look to look for good place for forced landing…

The most common cause of engine damage and face full of oil is pilot running the engine to hard. Learn (from manuals or experience) maximal rotation each engine can take and throttle down in dives… or check "RPM limiter" in difficulty settings to make your engine invunerable to abuse.

Someone needs to make it clearer what the field packs and weapon packs in the additional content are exactly, what your getting for your money. What is a field mod pack? What is a weapon mod pack? I'm looking at DLC on Steam here "Aces" that seems to imply you want me to pay the cost of a full price game, £19(!)…for some…plane upgrades? I'm probably wrong but that is what it seems to me?

http://steamcommunit...81999890#151641" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://steamcommunit...m/sharedfiles/f … 890#151641

DLC for the cost of full price games on Steam isn't a great idea usually. Smaller packs possibly? Usually I'd expect DLC to be around £5 not £15-19.

That's how non-steam version works. The original RoF is free to play game with every plane or modification available as separate DLC. Par of point of steam release was bundling these 60+? small DLCS into 7-8 big packs. See for yourself.

http://riseofflight.com/en/store" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://riseofflight.com/en/store

Forum moderator.

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#114 EdwardRichtofen

EdwardRichtofen

Posted 10 January 2014 - 20:03

saddening, well in that case how do I change my email because I want my main email on the steam account?

#115 jeffmorgan

jeffmorgan

Posted 19 January 2014 - 16:33

Hi. First time on this forum [Steam Version Guide] I recently purchased and downloaded [$49.99]
Channel Battles.

I went through the process loading and following the on screen prompts, and have been flying and enjoying this remarkable game.

One thing i have noticed is that at the moment Channel battles is only allowing me to fly 4 aircraft, Albatros D.Va, Spad 13.C1, Sopwith Camel and the Sopwith Pup. and all in limited
missions.

Im i right in saying that this is the Demo and not the $49.99 version of Channel battles ??

I was wondering if I might have activated the Demo instead of the full game ?? or I can only increase the content of the game by more $30 add on's

Hope someone can advice. Cheers. :oops:[Reg key was from Rise of Flight "Aces Edition" ?

#116 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 25 January 2014 - 14:15

Have you bought both Aces and steam edition, then? The Aces Edition licence gives you 4 planes you mentioned. The Channel Battles Edition licences gives you three of these planes (no Pup) plus 7 extra planes + Channel Map. Both licences come as product keys, so yes, you have used aces edition product key when making an account. The steam version of game comes with it's own product key that you should have used.

To see your Channel Battles product key, select the game in steam library, right click on it and select "View CD key" from menu that appears. Make sure to maximalise the window to see complete key, it sometimes opens to small. This is key you should have used when making ROF account. You can use it to make second account using new e-mail adress (and keep old account for the Pup), or write to rof@777studios.net about your situation, they should be able to replace your Aces edition lincence with steam version licence.

Forum moderator.

#117 minoski

minoski

Posted 08 February 2014 - 14:25

ciao sono nuovo iscritto e saluto tutta la comunità vorrei sapere se esiste un tutorial per settare il jostik io possiedo saitek x52 e non riesco a configurare i controlli

#118 guammike

guammike

Posted 10 February 2014 - 23:35

Hi, I just purchased the Steam version of RoF. I already have the "demo" version installed and activated on my PC and have an account here at the RoF website. My questions are: 1.) Should I remove the "demo" version of RoF and install as per the Steam instructions here? and 2.) Is it ok to register my Steam version with my existing RoF account (some postings on Steam forums suggested this might not be a good idea) or is it better to create a new account? My installed RoF is still the base game Free-to-Play version without the ICE or Ultimate upgrades nor any plane purchases. Thanks in advance.

#119 guammike

guammike

Posted 11 February 2014 - 20:32

I answered my own question but if anyone else runs into a similar situation which, considering RoF and all of the DLC packs are on sale this week at Steam, is probable, I thought I'd post what I did. During the registration process where it asks you to enter an existing account information or create new, I selected create new and entered my existing account information. Because no prior purchases were associated with my account this worked well. If you select existing account you will get an error.

Cheers.

Hi, I just purchased the Steam version of RoF. I already have the "demo" version installed and activated on my PC and have an account here at the RoF website. My questions are: 1.) Should I remove the "demo" version of RoF and install as per the Steam instructions here? and 2.) Is it ok to register my Steam version with my existing RoF account (some postings on Steam forums suggested this might not be a good idea) or is it better to create a new account? My installed RoF is still the base game Free-to-Play version without the ICE or Ultimate upgrades nor any plane purchases. Thanks in advance.

#120 Deraios

Deraios

Posted 11 February 2014 - 23:16

I answered my own question but if anyone else runs into a similar situation which, considering RoF and all of the DLC packs are on sale this week at Steam, is probable, I thought I'd post what I did. During the registration process where it asks you to enter an existing account information or create new, I selected create new and entered my existing account information. Because no prior purchases were associated with my account this worked well. If you select existing account you will get an error.

Cheers.

I don't know if I did miss something on the instruction on page 1 but this has to be added as a bright red disclaimer.

If you didn't buy anything and only played the Demo/F2P version you can use the same account you have already used for the Demo/F2P version by entering the account info under "Create new account or activate Demo License", which is rather misleading because I didn't want to do one or the other.

Cheers and see you

Glad to be back

Deraios

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users