Photo
- - - - -

STEAM VERSION GUIDE

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#41 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 06 September 2013 - 17:55

I understand it was not possible to merge the databases, because each user's account is unique.

But Jason, would it not be possible to give existing customers a new Steam account with NO content, an empty account, so they can at least install Rise of Flight on Steam and enjoy its benefits, and then when they start it up they just use their old account to log in?

That way you won't be giving away any content, and every account is identical (ie empty) which should make it easier to process?

#42 OpusTheFowl

OpusTheFowl

Posted 06 September 2013 - 18:06

Hello,

Quick question (sorry if I missed the answer if already asked).

If I have ICS or Ultra upgrade and a buddy buys the Steam version, can we fly together? understand that a person's content is tied to where he bought it but I am curious if everyone still can fly together.

Thanks!

#43 opti76

opti76

Posted 06 September 2013 - 18:13

Sad thing is that i now wait since yesterday that someone delete my old account. Currently i bought the game on steam and can not play it, because my email adresse is already bounded.
I think the guys with the f2p account have the same problem.

#44 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 06 September 2013 - 18:17

So, does anyone know what the "Special “Channel Battles” mission-set" is? It was supposed to be one unique feature of Steam release, and now I don't see anyone writing anything about it.

Jorri, I like your "empty account" idea.

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#45 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 06 September 2013 - 18:31

Sad thing is that i now wait since yesterday that someone delete my old account. Currently i bought the game on steam and can not play it, because my email adresse is already bounded.
I think the guys with the f2p account have the same problem.

Did you send an email to rof@777studios.net? That might be the quickest way for them to help you out. I see where the problem lies…I bet you're not the only one that has it.

#46 opti76

opti76

Posted 06 September 2013 - 18:37

Yep, with all account information.
I hope they can fix it before the weekend. Just reinstalled my Track IR, Joystick and pedals.

#47 TheBlackPenguin

TheBlackPenguin

Posted 06 September 2013 - 18:39

Darn, need to update the recommendation on using the F2p client, use another e-mail address rather than the Steam one.

Customer service will fix it, just not sure when as its a small team.

#48 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 06 September 2013 - 18:56

Hello,

Quick question (sorry if I missed the answer if already asked).

If I have ICS or Ultra upgrade and a buddy buys the Steam version, can we fly together? understand that a person's content is tied to where he bought it but I am curious if everyone still can fly together.

Thanks!

Yes, of course! Both versions are exactly the same flightsim and they are fully compatible.

#49 OpusTheFowl

OpusTheFowl

Posted 06 September 2013 - 18:59

Yes, of course! Both versions are exactly the same flightsim and they are fully compatible.

Great to hear…TY for your time…

#50 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 06 September 2013 - 19:09

If it doesn't woerk or you need help with anything else, let us know.

Also, you can use this Teamspeak server to communicate:

http://ts3.riseofflight.net/en/

If you add rof.exe to your Steam games list as a non-Steam game, you can use the overlay function and Steam Friends to chat while flying.

#51 EverLazy

EverLazy

Posted 06 September 2013 - 21:11

Hey Everyone,

Does the version on steam provide anything I cannot obtain through the ROF store? I'm trying to decide which way to purchase. I personally prefer to buy just what I want, but I don't want to miss out on something the steam version would offer.

Thanks
Everlazy

#52 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 06 September 2013 - 21:20

Hi Everlazy,

Nope, there is no unique content for the Steam version there's no reason for you to get it other than if you have a massive crush on Steam itself.

And welcome to the forums!

#53 TheBlackPenguin

TheBlackPenguin

Posted 06 September 2013 - 21:34

Just achievements which come with Steam and the convenience some find by using that system.

#54 Dressedwings

Dressedwings
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 06 September 2013 - 22:02

congrats on page 2 of the best sellers on steam :D :S!:

TOeIhAe.png

^CHECK THE LINK^

#55 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:59

Jason, could you at least have a word with Gabe Newell to let us use the word 'Fokker' on Steam without it being censored? :D

#56 Warfarin

Warfarin

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:25

Hi there.

I purchased ROF on the Steam store yesterday and cannot get past the registration screen (owing to the activate account buttons being somewhere off-screen. A helpful member of the Steam Community (Gunsmith 68) suggested trying to access the Steam folder on my pc and attempting to run_exe - a fix that appears to have worked for other users.

My problem is compounded by the fact that I have a new Windows 8 Pc and am unfamiliar with trying to find anything on it…

If anyone could help by posting an easy to follow guide to fixing this issue, I'd be most appreciative. Ta.

EDIT: Fixed. Thank you Jorri and GS 68 :S!: . Now… How many minutes did the average WWI pilot manage to remain airborne? I reckon I can shave it down to a few seconds…

#57 TheBlackPenguin

TheBlackPenguin

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:12

Interesting stats on Steam achievements here:

http://steamcommunit...on/achievements" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://steamcommunit...m/stats/RiseofF … hievements

#58 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:52

EDIT: Fixed. Thank you Jorri and GS 68 :S!: . Now… How many minutes did the average WWI pilot manage to remain airborne? I reckon I can shave it down to a few seconds…

Hiya Ambient Warfarin, glad you got it fixed :D

Well I believe in Bloody April 1917, the average life expenctancy of a British pilots was down to just two weeks or so? And as for the Sopwith Camel, I believe more pilots got killed during their first training flight with it, than were shot down…

I might be off on both statistics, though :)

If you need any help flying be sure to give a shout, or start a new topic.

#59 Andy10r

Andy10r

Posted 07 September 2013 - 15:25

I am stuck without the channel as my email is already used on my old account. I know some others have had this problem is there a solution at all ?

#60 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 07 September 2013 - 15:27

Send an email to rof@777studios.net for starters.

It would be useful though if you have a second email adress that they can move your old account to.

#61 diomedesbc

diomedesbc

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:39

I'm so tempted to buy the steam version just to show support and since I use steam a lot. The achievements would be really fun but I just have so much invested already it would just suck to start over. Oh well, hopefully there will be a sale for us non-steam accounts soon so I can make myself feel better by purchasing some more planes and maps. :)

#62 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 08 September 2013 - 13:47

It seems windowed mode is activated by default, and Rise of Flight does not seek out peoples monitor resolutions automatically….so people are running into a lot of trouble, where they can't see the menu bar.

Please fix this so that Rise of Flight runs in fullscreen mode by default, after it is first installed, and the resolution is the same as the native resolution of the monitor.

You will save a lot of people a lot of headaches, and you will save me, Gunsmith and Trupobaw a lot of posts on the Steam boards.

#63 opti76

opti76

Posted 08 September 2013 - 19:14

Good news.
Got a email from the team on a sunday evening.
Deleting is not possible but i can change the email adress so my father-in-law
will get a little surprise. :)

Btw, very good work on the steam forum guys. I read there too and it's amazing how much you help all the guys and how fast you answer.
May the skies always clear for you. :S!:

#64 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 08 September 2013 - 19:28

That's great news, glad to hear it's sorted! Nice of them to reply in the weekend.

#65 TL262

TL262

Posted 08 September 2013 - 23:43

HELP! Ive just perchased channel battles edition but as it loads the activation screen its in a small window and i can not scroll the screen down to activate the game how do i get it full screen. ps the bottom part of the program window is hidden under the desktop menu?!?!?!?!

#66 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 09 September 2013 - 00:08

Do you have a menu or something where you can adjust your resolution? Normally the RoF launcher includes a place to select full screen and your resolution, but I'm not sure what the CBE looks like.

#67 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 09 September 2013 - 00:12

If not, right clicking ROF icon and going for properties, you should see execute with few features in it (small, full size etc)

#68 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:40

Great to see so many new people on the servers today. Maybe not all come from Steam, but I'm sure that a lot of them came :)
"There will be honor enough for us all."

#69 asib-flashman

asib-flashman

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:52

So I have a major issue in that I downloaded through steam but cannot play as it loads into a window that effectively blocks off access to all of the buttons at the bottom of my screen. Very frustrating. How do I fix this…

#70 opti76

opti76

Posted 10 September 2013 - 20:14

Just start
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Rise of Flight 2.0\bin_game\release\Settings.exe"
There you can change the resolution

#71 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:04

Basically, the Steam version doesn't open the launcher, it just opens RoF straightaway.

And then, the default settings seems to be windowed mode, and the resolution is not matched to the native resolution of the monitor.

One third of the people, will see RoF opening in a small window. They can fix the issue in the game options.

One third of the people, will see RoF opening in the same resolution as their minitor, because it matches by coincidence. These peope will never know it is running in windowed mode.

And one third of the people will see RoF starting with a resolution that is bigger than their monitor's, and after logging in they will see a rotating plane but no menu bar. Thus they also cannot access the options menu to fix this. And they do not know about settings.exe.

Let's hope at least all of these latter people, find their way to the Steam or the Rise of Flight forums.

As for the Steam RoF forums, they started out very difficult, with RoF catching a lot of flak for its DLC model and prices. People thought RoF was a new title and it's generally frowned upon new releases coming into the store with a ton of DLC, that has apperently already been developed and could therefor have been included in the original release.

After explaning that RoF is a 4 year old title and development has been allowed to continue because of the periodical release of this DLC, many people understand. Some don't, and like to say so over and over again.

But generally, many people are impressed with Rise of Flight, are willing to look past the fact that RoF is a diamond in the rough, and are happy with the support they are getting from Gunsmith, Trupobaw and myself, and perhaps some others.

Basicaly we've been trying at least in the weekend to ensure that every question is answered almost as soon as it is asked, so that people find fixes for their problems while they are still tinkering with the program and not yet fed up with the fact that it is not working for them.

Now we see new people also helping other new people with the answers theyve gotten from us, and it's actually turning into a riseofflight.com/forums part 2 :) . It's great to see many new faces.

I can advise anyone to at least add Rise of Flight to Steam. It's a great platform. Especially the friends list is very helpful: you can see rightaway who of your friends or who in the Rise of Flight group is playing RoF, so asking any of them to fly together or to join a server together is the logical next step.

And then Rise of Flight has some very nice pages where you can add screenshots (Steam has its own screenshot function with the ability to upload screenies), videos from your youtube account, guides and tutorials, artwork you've created (or someone else….Roen very kindly allowed me to upload his wonderful artwork to bring WWI air combat alive for posspible customers), and guides and tutorials (Requiem's videos for example have been added and more guides and tuts will follow).

Steam is turning out as a very nice way to manage a community.

#72 opti76

opti76

Posted 10 September 2013 - 22:01

Don't forget my 1% who´s still waiting to get their email adress changed.
I hope they will fix it until the promotion discount is gone.
Who knows when there will be an another discount. :(

#73 Sharpus

Sharpus

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:22

It is really pity that old players can't switch to Steam version… maybe you could send us some discount for a steam version. I would not mind to buy it again for some small price and support you (developers) again!

#74 opti76

opti76

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:09

Yep.
In my case it's not funny anymore. I bought this game on the release day on steam and it's now the sixth day i can't play the game.
There must be a public holiday in russia i think. Something like "Kicking-some-customer-into-their-balls" feast. :cry:

#75 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:50

So there has been no follow up on the email from sunday evening?

#76 Zak_1CGS

Zak_1CGS

Posted 11 September 2013 - 14:17

We're taking care of all tickets that customer support received. Sorry for delay, be sure that each and every issue will be resolved and every player will be taken care of.

And now an IMPORTANT REMINDER:
DLCs available at Steam are NOT compatible with non-Steam version of the game. If you buy them you won't be able to add them to your non-Steam account.

#77 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 11 September 2013 - 15:49

There is number of steam users who need to reinstall the libraries that get installed with RoF ( DX / Visual Basic / net something … you know which ones. The important ones.) I don't have steam version and always did it by hitting "repair" in launcher, so can't find safe way to help them myself.

Jorri or 777 or anyone with Steam version, could you tell if they get reinstalled when:

1) Steam user recovers his game ("verify intgrity of game cache")

2) Steam user uses settings.exe and "repair" option. Does master server repair steam game at all? Is the CBE playable after recovery from master server, or replaced with non-steam version?

Or is there simpler way to reinstall these? At the moment, I tell them to repair cache, if that fails repair via master server then repair cache, if that fails download and install F2P game just to get libraries right. Less than optimal.

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#78 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 11 September 2013 - 16:13

Devs take notice, the link to the RoF manual on Steam that is listed in your game library is a broken link (and there are two links to the manual on the store page, one which works and one which doesnt)

#79 Walrusman

Walrusman

Posted 11 September 2013 - 23:04

Hello there!

Just bought this game on Steam. I installed it and tried out a training mission - getting into the cockpit of that SPAD made me feel like I was 9 years old again playing Red Baron! Massive grin :)

One spot of trouble: hq_Jorri, you mentioned a rotating plane and a lack of a menu bar. I've got at least part of a bar, with missions, campaign, career, and such, but I can't get at any options to change my controls or adjust the resolution or anything. I've had a skim of some of the threads but didn't run across a solution.

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick and missing something obvious…

EDIT: Turns out I am. :oops: I found the solution on the previous page and managed to fix the problem. Can't wait to try some more!

#80 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 11 September 2013 - 23:47

Hi Walrusbrown,

Welcome to the forums!

Glad you managed to fix this yourself :D If you need help with anything else though, let us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users