- - - - -

STEAM VERSION GUIDE

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#1 Zak_1CGS

Zak_1CGS

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:34

Dear Pilots!

Thanks for purchasing Rise of Flight: Channel Battles Edition on Steam!
This thread is specifically for you to ask questions and share any ROF:CBE technical issues.
We'll do our best to provide you with necessary support and guidance thru all the stages from buying the game on Steam to joining the proud league of ROF pilots.

How to Activate your Steam copy of free-to-play Rise of Flight United

Once you have purchased ROF:CBE on Steam and installed it you must follow these simple steps to activate your copy.
1. Launch Rise of Flight United through Steam.

rofu_8.png

2. The click on the button at the bottom that says Create New Account. Alternatively, go to riseofflight.com and click "Registration"; the game will send you there anyway. 

rofu_5.png

3. Follow the instructions to create a ROF User Account. The information you give in this step not only activates your copy of ROF with our database, it also creates a ROF forum account so you can post in our forum.

rofu_7.png

4.Once you have received confirmation mail and activated your account, you can authorise in the game and play!

rofu_6.png

How to Activate your Steam DLC for Rise of Flight United.

1. Click here on CD key in your Steam Library.

rofu_2.png

2. Then copy your key to the Windows Clipboard.

rofu_3.png

3. Login to your account at http://riseofflight.com/account/
and open the License Keys tab

rof_2.png

4. Enter the Steam DLC CD key into the Key Activation form and click Activate.

rof_1.png

5. Then Login Online to unlock the DLC you just purchased. By logging in once time after you entered the CD key will associate that key and DLC with your User Account. Then everytime you login to play, that DLC will be available for you to use.

rofu_6.png

6. To verify your new content was unlocked successfully, choose the Quick Mission Builder and you should see the planes you purchased as available. If you purchased some other content like the Ace Pack, you will need to start the mission and enter the Hangar screen and click on the Field Mod or Weapon Mod tabs to verify that your content is usable. If you bought content that includes missions such as a Campaign, please check the Campaign screen to see if your content is listed.

rofu_9.jpg

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

The ROF Team

#2 SYN_Jedders

SYN_Jedders

Posted 05 September 2013 - 13:08

Welcome to all our new Steam users!!

#3 TheBlackPenguin

TheBlackPenguin

Posted 05 September 2013 - 18:20

Welcome new pilots! :S!:

Oh and we need people to help answer questions too.

#4 roketfiq

roketfiq

Posted 05 September 2013 - 18:50

It still saddens me that we cant log in using existing accounts for this game…sigh. Especially since you COULD put the F2P client on there and allow us to play that way. So many other companies do it. Or you could even have our current keys activate on Steam like the owners of Company of Heroes 1 did and bring everyone under one client and banner. If they can do it, well, you high quality professionals can too. Just saying.

#5 Dressedwings

Dressedwings
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 05 September 2013 - 18:52

The only thing we are missing out on are condensed packs and the tracking of time spent in ROF.

I wish we had the second part.. but its not so bad, especially like you said we can put the F2P client in manually.

TOeIhAe.png

^CHECK THE LINK^

#6 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 19:22

It still saddens me that we cant log in using existing accounts for this game…sigh. Especially since you COULD put the F2P client on there and allow us to play that way. So many other companies do it. Or you could even have our current keys activate on Steam like the owners of Company of Heroes 1 did and bring everyone under one client and banner. If they can do it, well, you high quality professionals can too. Just saying.

We have separate databases. Our system is a bit different and unique than others. I'm sorry that what you want is not possible. As mentioned the only item Steam users have apart from you is the achievements and that was a requirement from Valve. You can also use the Steam overlay with non-steam ROF. We also created bundles for Steam to ease the shopping experience since we have so much extra content now it would be quite confusing to list each item. There are slight advantages to both versions I suppose, but the end result is the same - having a blast with ROF!

I tried for years to get Valve to accept ROF into their store. If we would have been able to accomplish that several years ago, things might be different, but 4 years out, this is the best we can do. There will probably be some bumps along the way with Steam as we get used to their system, but so far it seems to be working ok.

We heartedly welcome anyone who has purchased ROF:CBE through Steam. The war torn skies of WWI await you! Feel free to ask questions, the team and community here is very helpful and friendly!

Jason

#7 BaiCaiX

BaiCaiX

Posted 05 September 2013 - 19:27

Agree. I want play on the steam. I have all of aircraft. Don't want buy them again.

Steam can reduce the pressure to upgrade the server. Can share my game dynamic information and screenshots. My friends who would be interested in ROF, and buy it.

#8 Echoman

Echoman

Posted 05 September 2013 - 19:28

My question is, I already own Iron Cross retail version. Now if I buy the one's they have on steam. Can I add them to my account I aleady have or do I have to start over…

#9 Dressedwings

Dressedwings

Posted 05 September 2013 - 19:29

We have separate databases. Our system is a bit different and unique than others. I'm sorry that what you want is not possible. As mentioned the only item Steam users have apart from you is the achievements and that was a requirement from Valve. You can also use the Steam overlay with non-steam ROF. We also created bundles for Steam to ease the shopping experience since we have so much extra content now it would be quite confusing to list each item. There are slight advantages to both versions I suppose, but the end result is the same - having a blast with ROF!

I tried for years to get Valve to accept ROF into their store. If we would have been able to accomplish that several years ago, things might be different, but 4 years out, this is the best we can do. There will probably be some bumps along the way with Steam as we get used to their system, but so far it seems to be working ok.

We heartedly welcome anyone who has purchased ROF:CBE through Steam. The war torn skies of WWI await you! Feel free to ask questions, the team and community here is very helpful and friendly!

Jason

I just checked, is there no FE2b for steam users yet? or did I miss it in one of the packs?

TOeIhAe.png

^CHECK THE LINK^

#10 BaiCaiX

BaiCaiX

Posted 05 September 2013 - 19:32

Jason

You can make a F2P game, just like a Demo, same as you are now doing. And make ROF:CBE as a DLC. Like the ICE Pack. So there will be more players to try ROF, appreciate its charm.

In fact, DCS World did this.I think they're learning your business model.

#11 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer

Posted 05 September 2013 - 20:00

My question is, I already own Iron Cross retail version. Now if I buy the one's they have on steam. Can I add them to my account I aleady have or do I have to start over…

No I'm sorry this is not possible. The Steam version is aimed at new users since we cannot technically do a transfer as some suggest.

Jason

#12 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer

Posted 05 September 2013 - 20:02

Additional aircraft bundles featuring planes currently unavailable on Steam will be released at a later date.

Jason

#13 opti76

opti76

Posted 05 September 2013 - 20:12

I bought RoF directly at release but played it only half year.
Now i decided to buy the channel version on steam.
Login via my old account worked so i didn´t create a new account.
Is the channel version now linked with my existing account and if it's so,
will purchases like planes appear in my profile on the homepage?

EDIT: Ok, just tested it. When i use my old Account, i just have 4 planes and no english channel missions. It's also not possible to activate the steam key as a gift code with my profile here.
So i think i need a second account. :(

EDIT 2:
Ok then, is it possible to delete my old account or to change my old license key with my new one from steam?

#14 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 05 September 2013 - 21:13

Guys you can still use Steam to run your regular Rise of Flight, just add ROF.EXE as a non-Steam game to your games list and you will get almost full functionality, including the most important thing, the Steam overlay.

Welcome to all new Steam users! Don't be shy to ask tons of questions.

#15 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer

Posted 05 September 2013 - 21:45

I bought RoF directly at release but played it only half year.
Now i decided to buy the channel version on steam.
Login via my old account worked so i didn´t create a new account.
Is the channel version now linked with my existing account and if it's so,
will purchases like planes appear in my profile on the homepage?

EDIT: Ok, just tested it. When i use my old Account, i just have 4 planes and no english channel missions. It's also not possible to activate the steam key as a gift code with my profile here.
So i think i need a second account. :(

EDIT 2:
Ok then, is it possible to delete my old account or to change my old license key with my new one from steam?

Congrats you have two separate copies of ROF. It is not possible to combine the two. Your options are:

Keep both.
Sell one of the accounts.
Return the Steam version for a refund and buy content from our store directly.
Give one away to someone else.

Jason

#16 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 05 September 2013 - 21:49

Blimey, the Steam version drew a lot of oldschool haters out of the woodwork, on the Steam forums. Any way we can brush them under the rug? What a negative bunch…

#17 Dressedwings

Dressedwings

Posted 05 September 2013 - 21:52

Blimey, the Steam version drew a lot of oldschool haters out of the woodwork, on the Steam forums. Any way we can brush them under the rug? What a negative bunch…

Yes…

I dont know which rock they have been living under but apparently payware is dumb for flightsims.

:xx:

TOeIhAe.png

^CHECK THE LINK^

#18 -VR-Stele

-VR-Stele

Posted 05 September 2013 - 21:56

Guys you can still use Steam to run your regular Rise of Flight, just add ROF.EXE as a non-Steam game to your games list and you will get almost full functionality, including the most important thing, the Steam overlay.

Welcome to all new Steam users! Don't be shy to ask tons of questions.

Does this mean regular ROF users will be able to get the Steam Achievements if we add it in Steam as a non-Steam game?

#19 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 05 September 2013 - 21:57

Hi Stele, no I'm quite sure this is not the case. I guess the achievements are the one thing us non-Steam users will have to miss out on.

I still haven't seen these achievements, time for me to check them out :)

Edit: ah. I would have expected them to just copy the awards you can already get in Rise of Flight to Steam, but the awards are actually different.

#20 TheBlackPenguin

TheBlackPenguin

Posted 05 September 2013 - 21:59

It was going to happen whenever a company sales add-ons on Steam outside of the 'base game', and from what I have seen in the past monetary value on the whole is irrelevant.

But, Channel Battles is currently #35 on the top 100 sales list, so the haters in reality are few in number.

#21 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 05 September 2013 - 22:01

Oh, that's kinda good news then. And the boards are already somewhat active, I don't know if that will increase or decrease with time, but it's some response to the release at least.

#22 opti76

opti76

Posted 05 September 2013 - 22:25

Congrats you have two separate copies of ROF. It is not possible to combine the two.
Jason
Thanks. :)

Your options are:

Keep both.
Sell one of the accounts.
Return the Steam version for a refund and buy content from our store directly.
Give one away to someone else.

My problem is that my email addresse ist already registered with my old account so i can't use it for my steam account.
I sent already a mail to rof@777studios.net with a delete-wish for my old account to get my email adresse back. My old account is meanwhile almost similiar with the free2play version so it's not a big loss.
Of course i will miss the beautiful symbols i got over the years but there's always a price to pay. ;)
Thanks a lot so far

#23 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer

Posted 05 September 2013 - 22:26

Thanks for understanding Opti.

Jason

#24 TheBlackPenguin

TheBlackPenguin

Posted 05 September 2013 - 23:10

I think we should say special thanks to Jorri for keeping calm and providing polite, yet informative responses over on the Steam forums.

:S!:

#25 Sixxes

Sixxes

Posted 05 September 2013 - 23:12

Newbie here. I saw ROF over at Steam and love flight sims and am wondering the advantages and or disadvantages by buying the game here or at Steam. As far as I understand you can't mix and match between Steam and ROF stores, right?

#26 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 05 September 2013 - 23:26

Thanks Penguin!

Hi Sixxes,

The Steam edition gives a very good deal right now and you can't go wrong with it. If you buy the ICE edition in the store here, you still won't have the Channel Map that you get on Steam, and this map is a lot of fun and very well made.

Personally I don't like the DLC packages on Steam, though, and I would prefer to be able to buy any new content seperately, which it seems won't be possible on Steam.

Tough choice.

#27 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 05 September 2013 - 23:39

Hey guys,

There is plenty of scepticism on the Steam forums and among Steam users. They see a newly released game that is offering DLC on day 1, and conclude that they're looking at a developer who wants to make an easy buck.

We all know better than that, but don't try to fight them with fire. They have an understandable point of view, and we just need to inform and instruct without being inflammatory. Just tell them what the reality is, and that if they're in doubt, they can always try the free to play edition which is basically the full sim with just the two planes.

I'm off to bed now. Congrats to 777 for the succesful release. Although when it comes to activation, and also other things (screen resolution which can't be set because they don't open through settings.exe!), I expect they will need a lot of our help and advice.

#28 opti76

opti76

Posted 05 September 2013 - 23:53

Jason, i know it's possible as a developer to get admin rights in the steam forum, so you can pin an explanation thread.
Would be helpful i think.

#29 TheBlackPenguin

TheBlackPenguin

Posted 06 September 2013 - 00:07

Thanks Penguin!

Its true though! I already got snappy with someone over his Day One DLC posting, seen those before and it looked practically identical from all the ones before, plus all the same postings over and over again just started getting tiresome :).

#30 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:31

Hi, guys, I have some questions regarding the online servers and Steam, because this is what really interests me. I was never much into the offline gaming, because of the complexity of the mission creator, which becomes a limitation. I even tried to learn it, but I just gave up. And the online gaming is as real as it can be in a sim, so, the online scene is my only interest and I don’t know where the Steam will affect the ROF community in general.

It would be awesome if someone could explain me a few things:

A) Is Steam focused in server environment or it is just for people to play alone at home?
B) If Steam is focused in the server environment, how can I check if there is a big community playing missions online in it?
C) Does it mean that the server community of ROF might migrate to Steam?
D) Does Stem offer the same “realism” ROF does or it is a light / commercial version of it? Who builds the mission? The very own community?
E) Is there a difference in between the servers in ROF and the Steam server? Broadband, lag, ping, etc?

I ask these questions because I am afraid to see the ROF server crowd shrinks even more and then realize, after months paying for planes and mods and this and that, that there is a big crowd playing on Steam every night. Honestly, I’ll go wherever the online crowd goes. Unless it is too arcadish over there and there are a few brave pilots back in here. Otherwise I am sure that in one week ROF will be shelved and played sporadically.

Many thanks in advance,
"There will be honor enough for us all."

#31 =III=Flav

=III=Flav

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:57

SeaWolf, I might be misunderstanding you in my answer, but I'll try and explain things a little.
Steam is just distribution software. This means that while Steam sells a different package of Rise of Flight, it is still the same game, using the same multiplayer servers, and as far as I know, the same MASTER SERVER (all hail the master server in it's infinite wisdom and lack of lag).
Essentially, what I'm trying to say is that all Steam will do is boost numbers of people playing the game. The game that Steam sells and the game we already have is one and the same.

#32 TheBlackPenguin

TheBlackPenguin

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:14

Rise of Flight is now #25 in the top 100 sales list on Steam.

:S!:

#33 TheBlackPenguin

TheBlackPenguin

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:15

Keep in mind if you buy the Steam version you're pretty much going to have to keep buying any add-ons you want from Steam as the databases which track our purchases are separate, same thing vice versa.

#34 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:58

SeaWolf, I might be misunderstanding you in my answer, but I'll try and explain things a little.
Steam is just distribution software. This means that while Steam sells a different package of Rise of Flight, it is still the same game, using the same multiplayer servers, and as far as I know, the same MASTER SERVER (all hail the master server in it's infinite wisdom and lack of lag).
Essentially, what I'm trying to say is that all Steam will do is boost numbers of people playing the game. The game that Steam sells and the game we already have is one and the same.

But who plays online with Steam is going to play in the regular servers, like Flying Circus, Syndicate and Wargrounds?

#35 J5_Vorlander

J5_Vorlander

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:10

Congrats Jason and 777,

Great work and hope we get lots of new pilots that will ensure the future development of ROF for many years to come.

#36 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:14

using the same multiplayer servers.

Got it, I missed that part. For some reason I was thinking that Steam was a cloud environment. So we might see some numbers rising on the servers! But why people are asking if they can use their current keys with Steam?

I apologize for my ignorance.

#37 TheBlackPenguin

TheBlackPenguin

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:36

Got it, I missed that part. For some reason I was thinking that Steam was a cloud environment. So we might see some numbers rising on the servers! But why people are asking if they can use their current keys with Steam?

Achievements is one reason, convenience is the other reason I think. That's about all I think.

#38 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:49

Achievements is one reason, convenience is the other reason I think. That's about all I think.

Yeah, I am settled :D Since people were hyping about it and questioning the key thing I thought that at some point I would have to split my resources in between ROF and some kind of cloud server at Steam for the same game. It wasn’t making any sense to me, but now it does.

Thanks guys for the explanation. Let they come!

#39 hrkr1

hrkr1

Posted 06 September 2013 - 15:06

hej guys,

do I need to delete my old account (which is a free version) before I buy it on steam?
considering that I want to have an account for the same e-mail adress

#40 YeaImRota

YeaImRota

Posted 06 September 2013 - 15:33

What a massive letdown to not have previous purchases merge into the Steam version. Also, why wouldn't you put your free launcher on Steam? With the direction that gaming is going these days, towards Free-to-Play, you could have boosted the community significantly by setting this up. This seems like a very strange business decision to only release a paid version on Steam and I really don't see the current model attracting many new players with such a high price point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users