Photo
- - - - -

Gav's mod 0.31: get your 1916 on!

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 04 September 2013 - 22:50

Hey Gav - while you're messing about in these files I wonder if you have seen or can check something. Is there any way to separately set parameters for what range the gunner will track a target and for what range they will open fire at it, or are those two things inextricably linked? I'd like to see the gunner be able to pick up and start tracking a target (and stand up and get ready to fire) at a relatively long range, but then not actually open fire until a medium/shorter range - any chance there are moddable settings that could accomplish that?

Also are there moddable settings to control how long the gunner stays with a given target before switching off to another, presumably higher-threat (or higher opportunity) target?

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#42 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 04 September 2013 - 23:04

The first thing, no. I have reduced the AI firing range by 100 meters for the next revision. Originally I set it out pretty far because I wanted the gunner to get a shot off in a head on pass. However, I don't need to set it so far out now that I have reduced the reaction time. Other than that, the gunners detection range is the same as his firing range. Remember you can manually tell him to hold his fire for a closer distance, which seems to be 70% of the normal range.

For the second one, I don't know. Each AI target has its own priority setting, with scouts being the highest priority. So far as I can tell, the gunner automatically switches to whichever one is closest. I agree that he switches a lot and that it is a bit of a pita. I'll keep an eye out for something like that.

#43 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 05 September 2013 - 16:47

Small revision up.

#44 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 05 September 2013 - 18:17

This Mod gets better and better, Gav! Makes the Fee into a semi-credible fighter!

Took it into QM against an E.III and a Halby. Shot both down.

Gunner still hops around when he doesn't need to (the target is right in front of him, why is he jumping to the rear gun?).

And is still shooting low and not leading enough. The rear portions of both the target planes were pretty well shredded but they kept going because the pilot and engine were okay.

But he's much more aggressive and even though his hit percentage must be very low he eventually does the job!

Thx!

#45 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 05 September 2013 - 19:02

Sigh, I am very frustrated by the shooting low thing. I think CAFulcrum is right that all the AI gunners shoot too low.

#46 CAFulcrum

CAFulcrum

Posted 05 September 2013 - 19:10

Gavagai, do you think it might have anything to do with why the ai can't use elevated weapons and weapon's mods? I think there was something mentioned about ai only leading correctly when firing forward. It could be hard coded; I'm almost certain the stock ai fires low as well, it's just difficult to tell because of the way they tend to fire in apparently error-calculated streams. Hopefully you can get some official support for this and submit it to the mods page.

Good luck finding a solution!

#47 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 05 September 2013 - 19:42

Correct, the stock Fee gunner also fires too low. I don't think it has anything to do with AI scouts, though. There's a targeting script that the AI turret follows, but it's a binary file so I have no idea abou what it says.

777 will need to take a look at this issue if it's going to be addressed. It wasn't so obvious before because we didn't have a scout with a gunner in the nose.

#48 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 08 September 2013 - 21:27

0.3 posted. This includes a whole set of revisions for 1916. It should make 1916 a lot more exciting, especially since Criquet wasn't around to mod many of the aircraft we have now.

#49 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 09 September 2013 - 00:57

Sounds cool - I'll give this a try in my Fee career in September 1916. Looking forward to it. The previous version worked well last night - my Fee gunner engaged a Halby quite well in a head on pass, something that they'd had problems with before.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#50 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:20

Adding a little update. I wanted the AI to dive to the attack more, but I seem to have made them a bit too aggressive there. This should mellow out their dives a bit.

#51 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:26

Panther/HT/et.al.:

I'm currently running:

Gavagai's "AI pilot Awareness"
AI pilots (Criquet)
RoF_Gunner_Positions_mod_1.030
Rof_GunnerAI_mod_1.030

Will this mod conflict with any of these mods?
Would it be better to replace any of these mods with this 0.3 mod?
Are there any other AI mods that I should add?

(I noticed on the mod page that there is are a few other AI mods out there that I dont have):

A.I. Scouts v1.30
A.I. Two-Seaters v1.30
A.I. Scouts + Accuracy v1.30
A.I. Gunner Positions v1.30
A.I. Gunner Behavior v1.30

#52 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:25

Hi Broadside,

Yes, the mod I have posted will overwrite some of the other mods you are running.

"AI pilot awareness" is included in my mod

Criquet's mod doesn't touch many of the scouts and two seaters I have modded. He wasn't around for the Halberstadt D.II, Cl.II, Roland, RE8, Fe2b, etc. His N11 and N17 were not revised to match their FM revisions, etc. Basically, I am trying to learn from what he did and make further improvements.

As I have said elsewhere, this mod make the two seater gunners much more dangerous. I don't fly two-seaters much, but I agree with others who complained that they were almost dead weight. What you get here is more like multiplayer with a human in the back seat, but without the rolling inverted and negative-g acrobatics of multiplayer.

Let me know what you think.

#53 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 09 September 2013 - 19:57

Copy of the AAR I sent Pat:

AAR: (With a copy to Gav since I'm using his new Mods):

I'm running 14.0 V5 alone (13.1 is copied as a backup on my desktop) and I'm letting each version overwrite the older version as we go along (if that makes any difference).

On the control panels, I went to change a few settings and it worked but very slowly. Seems to be approaching an overload for my CPU is my non-geek guess. I tried again running PWCG as administrator and noticed no difference. It kind of hesitates when I give it a command.

Fe2b 4 July 1916, 23 Sqn RFC at Le Hameau: Mission ran smoothly. I decided to attack a balloon that was very close to my route and my gunner refused to shoot at it. It was not a mission objective but it definitely was German. He just pretended it wasn't there (passive-aggressive I guess) and my AI wingmen wouldn't shoot at it either. I don't know if this is PWCG or Gav's Mod or all of the above or none of the above.

I engaged an E.III and my wingmen actually descended to help me. Don't know if this is Gav's Mod at work but that hasn't been happening until now.

My gunner still can't hit much. Finally chopped off one of the E.III's wings but never hit the pilot or the engine or the fuel tank despite a huge expenditure of ammunition. I'm not sure that can be fixed.

#54 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 09 September 2013 - 22:32

Hi HT,

Thanks for your feedback. For balloons, people have reported that problem mods on and mods off. If your wingman descended to help you, that's good news. I increased the dive rate from 10m/s to 25m/s with the AI scripts. As for your gunner, do you know his skill level? The Fee gunner is always going to shoot too low until 777 fixes it, I think. I've really tried to make the gunners better and I don't know what else I might do.

#55 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 09 September 2013 - 22:33

Put a couple of virtual shims under the front mount of your virtual gun to raise the virtual point of aim/point of impact ;-)

#56 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 09 September 2013 - 23:28

Fee gunner fires too low

#57 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 09 September 2013 - 23:29

Put a couple of virtual shims under the front mount of your virtual gun to raise the virtual point of aim/point of impact ;-)

I know that's a joke, but is there a way to set the convergence to a longer distance on the AI gunners (are they affected by that setting the player can change in the hangar screen menu)? That might (should) have the effect of raising the guns and having them not shoot so low, if the setting has the effect it should, I would think.

#58 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 09 September 2013 - 23:41

GAV, you did a pretty good job with this mod! CONGRATES!
For very first time, in quick missions, i was able to down 2 Albys with my FE2 :o
My AI gunner is day and night with your mod!…we just have to place the plane in good shape for AI to get nice shots opportunities.

#59 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:13

I know that's a joke, but is there a way to set the convergence to a longer distance on the AI gunners (are they affected by that setting the player can change in the hangar screen menu)? That might (should) have the effect of raising the guns and having them not shoot so low, if the setting has the effect it should, I would think.

Well, there is a convergence setting in the Hangar for the FE2b. It definitely elevated fixed guns. I have no idea whether it elevates flexible guns, though.

May be worth a little testing…. :mrgreen:

#60 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:17

Sorry, I really doubt that will work. Try it out, but don't hope for anything.

#61 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 10 September 2013 - 16:48

I've tried your Mod yesterday in a few PWCG Missions flying a Roland. It's better than the stock gunners and I was a little surprised seeing my gunner actually doing pretty well. I've noticed something that propably has to do with the awarness mod. Sometimes the enemies seem to completly ignore me and they even fly alongside me at a short distance while my gunner shoots at them.
I'm running no other mods except for Vanders Groundobjects.

Thanks for your efforts in improving the AI.

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#62 theMoxy

theMoxy

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:01

…A bit off-topic, but I can't seem to find mention of it anywhere now…but there was mention of "Gav's injury/wound mod"…which i somehow downloaded(?), no idea where since as i mentioned, i cant seem to find mention of it anywhere now…

Regardless, what exactly does it do? I ask this because i recently found myself in my trust E.III with two N11's chasing me back to friendly lines, peppering me from time to time - this time, as well as ever since i applied the mod, I have surprisingly avoided all injury! I haven't taken too many shots until this recent flight, but this made me wonder about the mod's effects.

thankyou for the great work on the mods you've done, btw! =)

#63 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:02

Probably Requiem's Wound Mod…

#64 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:04

I don't see the wound mod that you guys are talking about in the official mod hosting section. Are there many mods that aren't posted up there? I hope once Gav gets a fairly stable version of his 1916 gunners mod finished it will also be put up there. Makes it so much easier to see if you have the latest version of something as opposed to chasing around the forums hoping to find them all.

#65 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:06

Are there many mods that aren't posted up on the official mod hosting section?

Yes. Most of them. After a burst of initial enthusiasm, that web site appears to have been neglected.

#66 theMoxy

theMoxy

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:25

Probably Requiem's Wound Mod…

Ahh..yes, thankyou…found it. Huh..i guess i've just been amazingly lucky to have not been wounded over a fair stretch! i guess 1916 is a little safer than other eras for such things;)

#67 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:26

That was an old mod that made it 2 hits to kill a pilot or gunner instead of the usual 4. It worked for a couple of versions and then it stopped working with one of the updates. I never got it to work again.

#68 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 11 September 2013 - 00:55

Are there many mods that aren't posted up on the official mod hosting section?

Yes. Most of them. After a burst of initial enthusiasm, that web site appears to have been neglected.

Bummer. Is there any way we could get a list of the most up to date mods? Even if it was only updated on a monthly basis, that would probably help considerably. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

#69 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:42

I spent quite a bit of time scouring the forums for mods and made a list with links.
No one seemed to care, so I stopped updating it.
It's somewhere around here…..

HERE it is, I found it.

Hope that helps.

#70 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 14 September 2013 - 17:24

This thread should go in the 3rd parties part of the forum otherwise it will be lost here.

#71 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 September 2013 - 17:34

Yes, you are right J.j.

Panthercules, can you please move this thread to 3rd party?

#72 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 14 September 2013 - 17:46

Also, I'm rather surprised that you don't include modification reducing the amno taken for the weapons mods of the turrets of the twin guns DFW C V / RE8…
Otherwise it gives fresh air to the Criquet AI mod! Thanks!

#73 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 14 September 2013 - 17:58

Sorry if it's already been mentioned,but I haven't found it. When I activate your mod after Criquets mod ,does it overwrite all changes Criquet has made,or only the AI Scouts you have added while the other planes still use Criquets AI? Or is it a bad idea to use both mods together? I like your Gunners AI and what you have done with the other AI changes. But I don't want to miss Criquets AI Pilots either.

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#74 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 September 2013 - 18:39

Pirato, it only overwrites the scouts I have added.

J.j.,

You are right about the DFW (so lame that 777 let's people do that in multiplayer). When I look at the RE8 it says that the reserve magazines are 8 for the single gun, and only 4 for each gun with the weapon mod. Is that being ignored by the application? By my count that should only be one extra drum for the Lewis guns (10 instead of 9).

I'll be sure to change the DFW ammunition load for the next revision.

———-

What I should do is just merge the changes I made for the 1916 aircraft with Criquet's AI mod. I'm kind of burnt out on modding at the moment because it takes a hell of a lot of time and I need to focus on other things right now. I'll update my mod pack later today in the 3rd party forum.

#75 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 14 September 2013 - 18:58

You are right about the DFW (so lame that 777 let's people do that in multiplayer). When I look at the RE8 it says that the reserve magazines are 8 for the single gun, and only 4 for each gun with the weapon mod. Is that being ignored by the application? By my count that should only be one extra drum for the Lewis guns (10 instead of 9).

You're correct, that's just that I had supress an extra drum per gun so as to not have the only extra drum.

And you're right about the time for modding (or in my case compiling mods). It sucks time a lot! :)

#76 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 14 September 2013 - 20:26

Yes, you are right J.j.

Panthercules, can you please move this thread to 3rd party?

done

#77 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:08

Gav while flying the Fee in PW-CG, I got behind a EIIItail and the gunner refuse to gun at it, this happen several times. Gun fire to the rear is OK but the front needs to be more active.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#78 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:29

Hello Gav,

Don't really know whether it was your mod or not, but I imagine it was.

The other day I was flying my Roland over enemy lines and a Nieuport17 attacked us.
My gunner fired a short burst and downed him??? :o .

I had instructed him to fire at will and at short distance.
I have never seen such accuracy from an AI gunner before.
I usually take over myself when we are targeted, but when I jumped into the seat I couldn't find the attacker until I looked down and behind.
There he was smoking and dropping fast.
Well done Gav.

Cheers,
Spag. :)

Bite off more than you can chew.

Then chew like Hell ! ! !

#79 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 15 September 2013 - 13:18

Gav while flying the Fee in PW-CG, I got behind a EIIItail and the gunner refuse to gun at it, this happen several times. Gun fire to the rear is OK but the front needs to be more active.

Are you sure he wasn't reloading? The Lewis gun cartridge only carries 97 rounds!

#80 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 15 September 2013 - 17:46

No because it happen several times, the gunner seems to be more triggered on his rear then on the front. Only there was nothing on my tail.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users