- - - - -

"Out of memory..." error

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 AI-Neoqb

AI-Neoqb

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:12

Lefty,

In regards to the 8 ground objects we are allotted: is this restriction placed on AI controlled objects only (vehicles, artillery, etc.) or does this include static objects as well (tents, buildings, etc.)?

And in regards to trains: does the train count as a single object regardless of the carriages added, or is each additional car considered a separate object?

Hi!
What I've found out is:
1. …is this restriction placed on AI controlled objects only (vehicles, artillery, etc.)…
Yes only for AI controlled objects.
The others (tents, buildings, etc.):
without Entity there might be up to 200 (not more then 10 different types of them), but with Entity no more then 30 (also 10 different types).
2. …does the train count as a single object regardless of the carriages added, or is each additional car considered a separate object?…
Yes, as longer train will be as more memory it will use.
Hope it's clear, sorry for this English…

#42 JohnBanks

JohnBanks

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:45

I wonder why only RoF has this memory problem. Games like IL2 allow a huge number or players, planes and ground objects online and never run out of memory.
And RoF with 20 players and some ground objects always stumbles with the memory. Sounds a bit like bad programming?
I even got the memory bug in a mission with 6 human controlled planes and no ground objects. It was a simple DF mission over an empty airbase.
I hardy believe that a handfull of custom skins and some objects have such a big impact on the memory and push Win XP to it's limits.

#43 winger2

winger2

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:20

I wonder why only RoF has this memory problem. Games like IL2 allow a huge number or players, planes and ground objects online and never run out of memory.
And RoF with 20 players and some ground objects always stumbles with the memory. Sounds a bit like bad programming?
I even got the memory bug in a mission with 6 human controlled planes and no ground objects. It was a simple DF mission over an empty airbase.
I hardy believe that a handfull of custom skins and some objects have such a big impact on the memory and push Win XP to it's limits.

Wouldnt necessary said BAD programming than rather "Here is room to improve". Just like all those indestructible camels out there that land after a crash even without any wings left. THATS ridiculous!

Winger

#44 ZaltysZ

ZaltysZ

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:38

Mathematically they can still fly. :D

#45 Sensenmann

Sensenmann

Posted 10 November 2009 - 17:30

Thanks Lefty, answers my question perfectly!

And to JohnBanks: we have a program on the bleeding edge of advancement here, in terms of physics, graphics, and modeling. It is still in need of some optimizations, and they are working on that.

When you consider the vast number of machines this program is running on, it is no wonder we keep hitting brick walls. I imagine it would be a much smoother process if it were written on a 64 bit architecture with 4GB+ RAM available, but then a lot of us (my self included) would be excluded until we upgraded to meet such requirements.

#46 JohnBanks

JohnBanks

Posted 10 November 2009 - 20:13

Well but RoF is not more bleeding edge, than IL2 back in it's days. Why did or does no other other game face such problems? There are numerous demandings applications out there.

#47 Caspermilktoast

Caspermilktoast

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:35

Hi,

Thanks for posting this. I have encountered this problem numerous times last weekend. I set some of my detail options down and that seemed to help alot, should it or is it just me? I have 8 gb of ram.

This game is really a dream come true for me, thanks for all the hard work!

#48 150GCT_Veltro

150GCT_Veltro

Posted 07 January 2010 - 16:08

We are actualy play a massive SEOW campaign with IL2 and we have a lot of problems probably related to the ram allowed in the il2fb.exe.
Yesterday i was running RAMRush to test this, and seems it works also when you are running the game, so you can clear the RAM when you are playing the game. I need to test it with RoF.

#49 150GCT_Veltro

150GCT_Veltro

Posted 07 January 2010 - 16:17

Yeah sorry about that. Anyway, add that flag, that takes 10 seconds (if you can't do that, i could and send you the ROF.exe). Then change the DRM checksum for that ROF.exe.

And you might wanna do that before releasing the new update.

Would someone please educate me on the 3GB switch or link me to some info? I have windows XP pro if that matters
This only matters if you have 32-bit OS, if you have a 64-bit XP, you don't need this.

Open the "Boot.ini" located in "c:\" (it's most likely "hidden" and read-only, so you have to change that to edit that file).

You will find something like this at the bottom of the file:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Make it look like this

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /3GB /userva=2800

And you will use up to 2800 MB per user application, if you want even more, you could change the userva=2800 to userva= 2990 or something, but the higher the number, the more unstable it gets usually, so i would recommend the 2800. But that would still not work if they don't add the flag i mentioned above, which limits the application to 2 GB.

'Please add the Large-Address-Aware-Flag to the ROF.exe'

Ming

Gentlemen!

Thanks for you offer to help with adding that flag in ROF.exe – of course we know how to do it! ;)
I’m afraid it’s going to disappoint you but as I said before – 2Gb limit will be equal for everybody.
It’ll be like this until amount of Win32 users is bigger than the others. We do not want to split the community apart for these who will be able to play a huge mission (using up to 6 Gb of memory) and for these, who won’t (Win32 users), or we do?

And one more thing: if a host PC uses default skins and a player in this mission wearing a desirable one – it means 5Mb for host PC and 10Mb for player’s PC. That’s why we recommend to use default skins only for host PC.

Lefty what MattM says is not wrong, and would be nice if we could try this solution (via beta testers). Sincerly i don't see problems here but only a very good idea:

The flag won't separate Win32 and Win64 users. It can only improve the performance for both (for 32bit users if they add the 3 GB switch only) or do nothing at all. It won't hinder Win32 users from starting ROF. All users can only benefit from that, i don't understand why you don't set the flag.

#50 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 07 January 2010 - 17:03

Since last patch I got more and more Out of memory errors (related to skins: "can't load…. .dds"
Now I have to downgrade the settings (quality of graphics, of sounds…) in order to get a game which doesn't crash randomly every mission I start…
I hope those problems (which didn't exist before 1.010 patch) will finally be eliminitated in the next patch. Vacations are over, January 5th is behind us.

#51 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 07 January 2010 - 18:29

When I run ROF at max settings, I quickly get texture corruption problems and sometimes CTD's. Last night, within 30 seconds of spawning into the TOW server (as a spectator, lost in the middle of nowhere), the game suddenly lost all textures except the sky. I just quit and swore off ROF until the next update.

It's really pathetic that this game is so unstable and so underdeveloped still. It's been over 6 months. Get your sh!t together already.

Oh, and my video memory usage is always well below 100%. System specs in signature.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#52 JohnBanks

JohnBanks

Posted 07 January 2010 - 20:08

Jay, do you use a GTX295 or another SLI setup? unning in SLI mode caused texture corruption. using Alt+ESC to minimize the game and going back will fix it. The textures will return. I also have these corruptions from time to time using SLI.

#53 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 07 January 2010 - 21:12

Yes, it's a GTX 295.

I've noticed that Alt-Tabbing can fix some texture problems, but I also then lose the service keys (and even vital keys like ESC) in ROF. So that means I'm unable to finish missions or do anything else, really. I have to Alt-Tab again and right-click on ROF to shut it down. So retarded…

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#54 OTrish

OTrish

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:39

Sorry if this isn't related to the memory issue this thread is about (Lefty, feel free to move if such is the case)
I got one crash yesterday playing on the TOW server and was an Out of Memory that brought up D3D error related box.
I was connected for possibly 2 ~ 3 hours before this occurred so reading this thread did provide some clues. My biggest pain is ALt-Tab to windows ALLWAYS will crash the program meaning I con not reenter ROF by clicking on the minimized icon or Alt-Tab back.
System in use is Windows 7 64bit, Intel Quad Q9400 with ATI4870 X2

And performance (FPS) is nice and smooth :)

#55 unknwn

unknwn

Posted 23 May 2010 - 16:49

Sorry if this isn't related to the memory issue this thread is about (Lefty, feel free to move if such is the case)
I got one crash yesterday playing on the TOW server and was an Out of Memory that brought up D3D error related box.
I was connected for possibly 2 ~ 3 hours before this occurred so reading this thread did provide some clues. My biggest pain is ALt-Tab to windows ALLWAYS will crash the program meaning I con not reenter ROF by clicking on the minimized icon or Alt-Tab back.
System in use is Windows 7 64bit, Intel Quad Q9400 with ATI4870 X2

And performance (FPS) is nice and smooth :)
You can't maximize ROF if you run in fullscreen mode. This is a common issue with ati cards.
If i am not wrong windows xp doesn't have this issue.

#56 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 23 May 2010 - 16:51

Try running it in windowed mode. It still actually is full screen but you can alt-tab.

#57 Han

Han
  • Developer

Posted 28 May 2010 - 13:16

FYI:
J99 game server hoster: please reduce plane models quantity!

Please attach here a TOW mission which caused the out of memory error for you (each mission which you have played is downloaded to data/multiplayer folder). I'll investigate it.

#58 Vati

Vati

Posted 28 May 2010 - 17:08

FYI:
J99 game server hoster: please reduce plane models quantity!

Please attach here a TOW mission which caused the out of memory error for you (each mission which you have played is downloaded to data/multiplayer folder). I'll investigate it.
Attached TOW mission caused ROF crashes of several people regularly.

Attached Files

#59 Han

Han
  • Developer

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:33

Ok, what wee see in mission header:

MultiplayerPlaneConfig = "LuaScripts\WorldObjects\albatrosd2late.txt";
MultiplayerPlaneConfig = "LuaScripts\WorldObjects\albatrosd3.txt";
MultiplayerPlaneConfig = "LuaScripts\WorldObjects\albatrosd5.txt";
MultiplayerPlaneConfig = "LuaScripts\WorldObjects\fokkerd7.txt";
MultiplayerPlaneConfig = "LuaScripts\WorldObjects\fokkerd7f.txt";
MultiplayerPlaneConfig = "LuaScripts\WorldObjects\fokkerd8.txt";
MultiplayerPlaneConfig = "LuaScripts\WorldObjects\fokkerdr1.txt";
MultiplayerPlaneConfig = "LuaScripts\WorldObjects\nieuport11.txt";
MultiplayerPlaneConfig = "LuaScripts\WorldObjects\nieuport17.txt";
MultiplayerPlaneConfig = "LuaScripts\WorldObjects\nieuport28.txt";
MultiplayerPlaneConfig = "LuaScripts\WorldObjects\pfalzd12.txt";
MultiplayerPlaneConfig = "LuaScripts\WorldObjects\pfalzd3a.txt";
MultiplayerPlaneConfig = "LuaScripts\WorldObjects\se5a.txt";
MultiplayerPlaneConfig = "LuaScripts\WorldObjects\sopcamel.txt";
MultiplayerPlaneConfig = "LuaScripts\WorldObjects\sopdolphin.txt";
MultiplayerPlaneConfig = "LuaScripts\WorldObjects\spad13.txt";

16 plane types INSTEAD of 8
It is neccessary to force TOW hoster to keep RoF limitations. This have bad affect on whole project.

#60 Rant6

Rant6

Posted 10 June 2011 - 21:29

I browsed through this thread, and it SEEMED like you guys are talking about multi player? Not sure. Anyway, I'm running Win 7 64bit with a 3.1Ghz Quad core Intel CPU, 4GB of RAM, nVidia GTX285, and nVidia 3D Vision. I have always run RoF on full graphics settings minus the post processing (3D Vision doesn't like PP) with good results. I run single player, have never tried MP. Today I upgraded to 1.019, and now I have the out-of-memory error when I jump into the cockpit in career, mission, quick mission, etc. I tried stopping all services and processes that weren't necessary, I removed all skins from the RoF subdirectory, I reduced the landscape mesh slightly and reduced shader quality to high. Non of this stuff worked, and so I can't fly anymore. My video memory usage is showing as 76%. Help Please.

#61 Parazaine

Parazaine

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:15

This thread is pre-historic and doesn't relate to the current patch.

I'm linking you to the official graphics primer thread below

http://riseofflight....pic.php?t=20189" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?t=20189

Basically, you can't expect to run 1.019 at max settings even if you were able to run 1.018 like that…the thread in the link explains it better than i can.

Also, if you have supersampling enabled, turn it off…it cripples most systems.

#62 ZaltysZ

ZaltysZ

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:28

I browsed through this thread, and it SEEMED like you guys are talking about multi player? Not sure. Anyway, I'm running Win 7 64bit with a 3.1Ghz Quad core Intel CPU, 4GB of RAM, nVidia GTX285, and nVidia 3D Vision. I have always run RoF on full graphics settings minus the post processing (3D Vision doesn't like PP) with good results. I run single player, have never tried MP. Today I upgraded to 1.019, and now I have the out-of-memory error when I jump into the cockpit in career, mission, quick mission, etc. I tried stopping all services and processes that weren't necessary, I removed all skins from the RoF subdirectory, I reduced the landscape mesh slightly and reduced shader quality to high. Non of this stuff worked, and so I can't fly anymore. My video memory usage is showing as 76%. Help Please.

What error exactly? Was it literally "Out of memory", "Out of buffer" or "Your system is running low on virtual memory"?

#63 Rant6

Rant6

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:58

The error was literally "Out of Memory". I've done some more experimentation, and the error is related to running the game in 3D. I usually have my games start in 3D (via an nVidia setting), but for one test I disabled 3D before I started the mission, and I was able to get into the cockpit in 2D without the error. As soon as I hit Alt-T to enable 3D I got the "Out of Memory" error. I also disabled Windows Aero as a test, and it did not fix the problem. Question is, is the error related to video memory, main memory, or virtual memory?

I know the next piece of advice to me will probably be to not run in 3D, but if you have ever seen this sim in 3D (along with DCS BlackShark and A-10) you would know that the effects are simply mind blowing, and so going back to 2D would be like going from RoF back to Red Baron.

#64 ZaltysZ

ZaltysZ

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:31

Interesting. I suppose it is always reproducible? What if you lower settings so that reported memory usage is below 50%?

#65 Rant6

Rant6

Posted 12 June 2011 - 13:47

The problem is always reproducible. As suggested, I lowered the video memory to 38% by changing landscape from high to medium. I then went into quick mission with 3D Vision disabled, and once in the cockpit I pressed alt-t to enable 3d Vision, and I immediately got the "out of memory" error. This error appears as a large block of red text in the middle of the screen with a transparent black background.

I just recently installed the newest nVidia drivers 275.33 before I updated RoF.

#66 Rant6

Rant6

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:32

I'm linking you to the official graphics primer thread below

viewtopic.php?t=20189

Basically, you can't expect to run 1.019 at max settings even if you were able to run 1.018 like that…the thread in the link explains it better than i can.

Also, if you have supersampling enabled, turn it off…it cripples most systems.

Thanks Parazaine. I had already read this thread, and my settings are at or below my 1.018 settings per the thread. I have not enabled supersampling.

#67 Rain

Rain

Posted 18 July 2011 - 20:31

The error was literally "Out of Memory". I've done some more experimentation, and the error is related to running the game in 3D. I usually have my games start in 3D (via an nVidia setting), but for one test I disabled 3D before I started the mission, and I was able to get into the cockpit in 2D without the error. As soon as I hit Alt-T to enable 3D I got the "Out of Memory" error. I also disabled Windows Aero as a test, and it did not fix the problem. Question is, is the error related to video memory, main memory, or virtual memory?

I know the next piece of advice to me will probably be to not run in 3D, but if you have ever seen this sim in 3D (along with DCS BlackShark and A-10) you would know that the effects are simply mind blowing, and so going back to 2D would be like going from RoF back to Red Baron.

http://forums.nvidia...howtopic=205653" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://forums.nvidia...howtopic=205653

#68 Rain

Rain

Posted 09 August 2011 - 17:52

http://forums.nvidia...howtopic=205653" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://forums.nvidia...howtopic=205653

hurray !!! problem was solved in new drivers release (GeForce (280.26 WHQL)) at last )))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users