• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 von_Schmidlak

von_Schmidlak
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:20

**Please move to Fictional/N17 section of the forum. Thank you!**

FILE FOR INCLUSION: http://www.mediafire.com/?7y1vqhd7c4a4say

This is a fictional skin designed in the style of two historical planes.

It is a little known fact that Japan engaged in the first air-sea battle in history by attacking German assets in Tsingtao (at the behest of the British) during the Autumn of 1914; launching a rickety Farman seaplane from the carrier Wakamiya.

As the war progressed, it became obvious to the Japanese military that airplanes could hold an important role in battle. As such, they ordered many aircraft from the West for research and inspiration, including French Nieuport-types.

This skin is based on a Nakajima Ko-2 Trainer (imaged below, 1916), which was a Japanese produced version of the Nieuport 83 E.2, a variant of the Nieuport 10.

Japan also ordered a number of Nieuprt 24C.1s (imaged below, 1917), known as the Nakajima Ko 3 Fighter in Japan. This planes stylings has also been considered for this skin.

This skin is my amalgamation of the two, for a fictional N17 model.

I appreciate your feedback, and your vote. Thank you. S!

vS_banner_2015.png

#2 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:56

This will look just perfect flying over Verdun… :mrgreen:

Well, if we've got Turkish planes and Finnish planes and Polish planes, why not a Japanese plane?

#3 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:27

Learned something new, nice!

Would it be possible to use the alpha channel to cut the bottom off of the cowling, to create a horseshoe cowl?

I'd make this a fictional skin, because although it's based in history, it's not actually the right plane. Then I would certainly vote yes.

#4 von_Schmidlak

von_Schmidlak
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:12

That's a really interesting thought Jorri, I'll have to try that. Thanks!

I too feel that this should probably be in the Fictional skin pack, but I wanted to get feedback from the community to be sure.

Sorry you don't like my work Tom. Maybe next time?

S!

vS_banner_2015.png

#5 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:18

I think it looks great and if we had a Japanese map, I would go for it! I've been pretty clear in saying how I feel about all these planes that don't fit on the maps we have. Doesn't make me right, it's just my opinion…but it's a nice looking skin. :S!:

#6 Cybermat47

Cybermat47
  • LocationNew South Wales, Australia

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:39

とら! とら!とら!
"If I could only have brought him down alive."
- Lieutenant Arthur Rhys-Davids, recalling his victory over Leutnant Werner Voss.

#7 von_Schmidlak

von_Schmidlak
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:46

Understood. Thanks for your kind words!

vS_banner_2015.png

#8 M.H

M.H

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:52

I love it ! I knew of this before but did not know skinning .
P.S. - They had pups too .

#9 von_Schmidlak

von_Schmidlak
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 17:36

Thank you!

Yes, and a few other planes that we actually DO have in this game. Wanted to just get the "semi-historical" one I knew of out of the way first.

S!

vS_banner_2015.png

#10 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 27 August 2013 - 17:53

Would the Nieuport 11 not be a closer match?

#11 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 27 August 2013 - 18:10

Learned something new, nice!

Would it be possible to use the alpha channel to cut the bottom off of the cowling, to create a horseshoe cowl?

And you know why they did that, right?

#12 von_Schmidlak

von_Schmidlak
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:44

Would the Nieuport 11 not be a closer match?

Yes, I think for the Ko-2 specifically that would be true.

However, with this skin I was also trying to draw influence from the N24C.1, which is an advancement from the N17. So this is kind of my amalgamation of both.

I suppose I could rename this a Ko-3 Fighter, and do a N11 skin titled the Ko-2 Trainer. Both cases would still only be orthogonally historical, though. ;)

Thoughts?

vS_banner_2015.png

#13 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:20

Interesting skin!Even if semi-historical,I don't believe it can be easily classified as fictional.This will be an interesting case for the judges…

#14 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 29 August 2013 - 19:05

Sorry, but this plane has no business being in the game as a Nieuport 17 skin, whether it be historical or fictional.

#15 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 29 August 2013 - 19:25

After defending every fantasy implementation that has come our way in RoF, the only difference I see here is that 777 can't sell this Nieuport skin.

Voting "yes." :S!:

#16 von_Schmidlak

von_Schmidlak
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:06

Sorry, but this plane has no business being in the game as a Nieuport 17 skin, whether it be historical or fictional.

I respect your vote, but would greatly appreciate it if you elaborated so that I do not repeat the same mistake on another skin.

Is it the model issue? The country? Quality? Etc?

Thank you. S!

vS_banner_2015.png

#17 CaptBoB

CaptBoB

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:30

Don't worry about Luke's comments Schmidlak, He's the only one who takes a interest in what he posts!

#18 von_Schmidlak

von_Schmidlak
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:42

Don't worry about Luke's comments Schmidlak, He's the only one who takes a interest in what he posts!

No, no. I have no problem with Luke's post. He's fully entitled to his opinion which I respect, and I very much appreciate the hard work he has done towards improving the Campaign mode.

I simply would like more specific feedback so that my next submission can be better.

:S!:

vS_banner_2015.png

#19 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:50

Hi vonSmidlak, are you from Japan? Because there is a very intresting Japaneese flyer that did fly in the French airforce.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#20 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:53

That was uncalled for.

#21 von_Schmidlak

von_Schmidlak
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 31 August 2013 - 16:43

Hi vonSmidlak, are you from Japan? Because there is a very intresting Japaneese flyer that did fly in the French airforce.

No, I am from the USA. The only relationship I have to Japan is as a student of its language, and some limited knowledge of its history.

I had seen in my research of this aircraft for this skin, posts over at The Aerodrome forum about the flyer you speak of. However, I still don't know much. I'm sure it's a very interesting story, though!

vS_banner_2015.png

#22 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 31 August 2013 - 23:57

I respect your vote, but would greatly appreciate it if you elaborated so that I do not repeat the same mistake on another skin.

Is it the model issue? The country? Quality? Etc?

Thank you. S!

It's not the quality of the skin or the country (I once visited Japan and had a wonderful time there). It's just that it's not really a Nieuport 17. I'd change my vote to Yes if the skin was made for the Nieuport 11 model, as it looks like that's a better fit for it.

#23 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 01 September 2013 - 00:00

That was uncalled for.

Looking at his post history, I can see he's one of those people that likes to stir crap up. Ah, well…

#24 von_Schmidlak

von_Schmidlak
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 September 2013 - 00:48

It's not the quality of the skin or the country (I once visited Japan and had a wonderful time there). It's just that it's not really a Nieuport 17. I'd change my vote to Yes if the skin was made for the Nieuport 11 model, as it looks like that's a better fit for it.

Understood. I had planned to make such a version anyway. I suppose I shall begin anew on that and cross my fingers that I can come back to this someday when we have a N24C.1 (crosses fingers).

I would still like this plane to be added to the fictional pack, however, as I had hoped to use it for a potential squad event.

I will rename the file appropriately, and would appreciate it if the powers that be could move this to the fictional/N17 section of the forum?

Thanks S!

vS_banner_2015.png

#25 Dressedwings

Dressedwings
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 01 September 2013 - 00:50

I hope for allied scouts after the HD1 we get the 24

:D

although that is well into next year if we are lucky.

TOeIhAe.png

^CHECK THE LINK^

#26 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:45

I would mainly like the Nieuport 24 as an excuse to fly a Nieuport sesquiplane well into 1918 :D

#27 actionjoe

actionjoe
  • LocationNord, France.

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:19

at The Aerodrome forum about the flyer you speak of. However, I still don't know much.

It was the Baron Kiyotaké SHIGENO (1882-1924),
He seems to have flew in the V24 (in Voisin), MS 12 (Navarre, de Rose), and SPA 26. He got 1 confirmed victories, and another one unconfirmed.
After the war he married with a French women and went back to Japan, to work in an airplane construction company.

http://pages14-18.me...ujet_1960_1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://pages14-18.me...cussions.net/pa … 1960_1.htm

515024ActionjoeScreen.jpg

#28 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:46

More infos about japanese pilots in France (and not only Shigeno)

http://albindenis.fr...lotes_Japon.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://albindenis.fr...r/Site_escadril … _Japon.htm

But in french.

#29 von_Schmidlak

von_Schmidlak
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 September 2013 - 19:02

I've just noticed that under the RoF store page for the N17, Japan is listed as a manufacturer. Is this a mistake, or have I missed something in my research?

http://riseofflight....s/Nieuport_17C1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://riseofflight....s/Nieuport_17C1

Perhaps my N17 isn't so fictional after all? Anyone who could do some additional research for me, it would be extremely appreciated!

S!

vS_banner_2015.png

#30 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:12

I've just noticed that under the RoF store page for the N17, Japan is listed as a manufacturer. Is this a mistake, or have I missed something in my research?

http://riseofflight....s/Nieuport_17C1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://riseofflight....s/Nieuport_17C1

Perhaps my N17 isn't so fictional after all? Anyone who could do some additional research for me, it would be extremely appreciated!

S!

"French Aircraft of World War I," which is pretty much the English-language Bible on the subject, discusses all the non-French air services that used the Nieuport 17 (including Siam, which had one). No mention of Japan.

Under Nieuport 24, the book states several were bought from France in 1917 and 102 were built by Nakajima under license and called the Ko 3.

#31 von_Schmidlak

von_Schmidlak
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:49

"French Aircraft of World War I," which is pretty much the English-language Bible on the subject, discusses all the non-French air services that used the Nieuport 17 (including Siam, which had one). No mention of Japan.

Under Nieuport 24, the book states several were bought from France in 1917 and 102 were built by Nakajima under license and called the Ko 3.

Thanks a lot! Yes, this is what I had come to understand as well. I guess this is just a typo on 777's part? Although I could understand the confusion as several of the images of the Ko-2 and Ko-3 I've found have been labeled (incorrectly) "N17".

Anyways, I appreciate the help! S!

vS_banner_2015.png

#32 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 04 September 2013 - 15:28

Calling it a "typo" is being generous. ;-)

#33 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 16 February 2014 - 18:47

Poll concluded; thread locked.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users