Photo
- - - - -

Albatros D.III Jasta 7 Default & Alternate, 1917

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:09

Since RoF does not yet have a default skin for the Jasta 7 Albatros D.III, I have created a couple versions using other approved skins. I'm not 100% sure which version should be considered the default, however, all of the other aircraft default schemes for Jasta 7 have been created using the white rudder version. Therefore, I have selected that version as the default, but included the black rudder version as an alternate option.

Edit: early versions (MAR17) added with red/green wing camouflage

Final edit: OK, I reworked all four skins from scratch. I was able to eliminate the red, purple and green tinting and splotches from the painted black surfaces. I took extra care to preserve the template details, weathering and shadows throughout, but it is necessary to filter out (or reduce) some of the multiplier and shadowing layers on some of the painted black surfaces. The results are nice and the skins don't look too clean or "showroom new" in my opinion. If anyone voted yes before and doesn't like these for any reason, please feel free to voice your opinion. You should be able to change your vote if you wish …

Final edit (x2): Added panel seam weathering & modest paint chipping, plus a few other minor tweaks. Updated zip download and preview images accordingly.

Special thanks goes out to Fubar for inspiration in creating these preview images.
:S!:

http://www.mediafire...Skins Final.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mediafire.../download/zmzh8 … 0Final.zip

Attached File  AD3_Jasta_7_MAR17 Preview.jpg   478.88KB   634 downloads

Attached File  AD3_Jasta_7_MAR17_blk Preview.jpg   494.16KB   630 downloads

Attached File  AD3_Jasta_7_MAY17 Preview.jpg   493.2KB   629 downloads

Attached File  AD3_Jasta_7_MAY17_blk Preview.jpg   483.25KB   630 downloads

Attached File  Jasta 7 line up.jpg   143.94KB   1337 downloads

Attached File  Jasta 7 striped.jpg   203.31KB   1334 downloads

Attached File  Jasta 7 H.jpg   206.53KB   1334 downloads

http://WWW.WingNutWings.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://WWW.WingNutWings.com

#2 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:06

I think pat or ansirial made one default for 7
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#3 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:03

Yes, Dutch, I looked at that skin. It's not the RoF default for Jasta 7 yet, and there seems to be some issues with it.

First, I noticed that there are giant pixels throughout the file. The fuselage looks kind of brownish and pixelated from the pilot's vantage point.

Attached File  rof 2013-08-01 23-46-34-67.jpg   344.96KB   1311 downloads

Attached File  rof 2013-08-08 22-04-48-11.jpg   369.74KB   1311 downloads

Secondly, I'm not crazy about some of the color choices in the PWCG skin, either. They don't really "match" the default Jasta 7 theme too well (such as the approved Jasta 7 D.Va skin - which both of my skins were based on).

Attached File  UserViewer 2013-08-17 02-42-13-39.jpg   157.12KB   1312 downloads

Maybe someone has reworked that skin and cleaned it up a bit. If they didn't, then I hope they would consider my work.

#4 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:37

You are right but that is the case with most of all the skins here. Was flying this morning with IRFC fokkerD7 skin, which I think is a beautiful design but same rough pixels at the back view and strange red lines on the plane fuselage. How this plane get through this poll I do not know. :?
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#5 Louvert

Louvert

Posted 22 August 2013 - 13:45

Beautiful stuff. Yes!

#6 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:12

Too late for the next skin pack?

#7 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:17

Those pics look like Albatros D.Vs to me. Did Jasta 7 ever fly the OAW Albatros D.III?

Nice skin though.

#8 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:24

Yeah, it's hard to say. I couldn't find a lot of info on Jasta 7's earlier days, but they were active before the end of 1916, so they probably flew D.III's early on. You may be right about those being D.V's, but it always bothered me having so much time of mixed flights with the D.III's and D.Va's in Jasta 7, and two distinctly different paint schemes.

#9 von_Schmidlak

von_Schmidlak
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:41

I was actually talking to BH_von Guber the other day about whether or not Jasta 7 ever flew D.IIIs. He's got a document on the whole squads history, and at least according to it, Jasta 7 indeed flew D.IIIs for a short amount of time.

Whether or not they had black skins is up to the imagination I suppose; I've never found a picture.

Regardless, this is a really well done skin. Thanks for your work Dude!

S!

vS_banner_2015.png

#10 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:27

OAW Albatros D.III entered service after the Albatros D.V. If you're trying to make an earlier Albatros D.III, then consider that trick for changing the shape of the rudder.

#11 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:37

Jasta 7 was issued D.IIIs in March 1917: http://www.theaerodr...2166-post5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theaerodr...2166-post5.html

#12 elephant

elephant

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:22

The terms D.III and D.Va have a generic use in RoF.
There is at least a 6-10 months gap in German scout representation for the whole year 1917! :roll:
Because the D.III (OAW) featured in game, was not issued before mid summer '17
and the D.Va was first issued in November '17 (Jasta Boelcke).
RoF is using it's (OAW) D.III and D.Va as place-holders for the Johannisthal D.III, D.V and D.V uprated,
that were used during the most part of 1917 by the Luftstreitkräfte.

:S!:

#13 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:37

Elephant,

I have a suspicion that the first OAW Albatros D.III wasn't delivered with a Mercedes D.IIIa engine until later than mid summer 1917. At least, I'm yet to see a good document that says it is so. Even some Pfalz D.IIIas and Albatros D.Vas were being delivered with the older Mercedes D.III in the Fall.

So, it's about a 1 year gap between German scouts in Rise of Flight. But the Albatros is so maligned in the eyes of this sim that I doubt anything will ever be done about it! :P

#14 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:12

So I see that the skins made for Jasta 7 D.III's by Pat were included in the latest release and made the defaults for the two different timelines. That's understandable, but I would still like to see my submitted version supersede the later skin, and I would be willing to add an early version (proper red-green wing camo) of my work for the early time frame. I don't want to disparage ANY of the hard work Pat put into these skins (or any of his countless contributions to RoF - including his consultation on my skins), but they look kind of (how to say it nicely?) … not-so-good. :oops:

Think I can add a version for the Jasta 7 D.III early and hope to see them both replace the PWCG skins for the next update?

#15 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:51

Think I can add a version for the Jasta 7 D.III early and hope to see them both replace the PWCG skins for the next update?

Sure - no problem if you want to try to improve on the versions already there. There are several other instances of second and sometimes third attempts at improving existing skins that have previously been approved, so why not take a shot if you'd like.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 65.jpg

#16 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:47

OK, Pathercules, I'm finished with this plane. I renamed everything and replaced my zip file with all the latest skins, previews, and description files. The first post is updated accordingly.

Thanks for all your help! :S!:

Edit: had to edit the description files once more - 10:30pm EST, Sep. 17

#17 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:01

Panthercules,

I'm not sure if you have done anything with these or my D.Va Jasta 7 skins, but I've been doing some more work with them. Originally, I only cut and pasted other skins to get the necessary areas painted correctly. After a lot more time spent in Photoshop, I've discovered better ways of achieving good results doing everything from scratch. The skins I originally submitted, while better than what was the current defaults, still had too many splotches of dark purple and green where they should be lighter shades of black. It usually happens when very dark painted areas run through the .dds conversion with the shadows, overlays and multiplier layers applied. I've redone all of the D.III skins with my new drawing method and the results have been really nice. I can replace the original skins and images with my latest work if you don't need me to start a new poll for these (and I will probably do the same for the D.Va skins as well).

Here are some images of my results for the default paint compared to the in-game default skin:

Attached File  full iso view.jpg   496.57KB   337 downloads

Attached File  close iso view.jpg   827.12KB   337 downloads

Attached File  rear high view.jpg   586.79KB   337 downloads

Attached File  front high view.jpg   638.43KB   337 downloads

Attached File  tail view.jpg   521.32KB   337 downloads

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

#18 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:25

Panthercules,
I updated the preview images and skin download link. I promise I'm REALLY done this time. ;)

I could resubmit this in a new poll if you think it's necessary, otherwise we could just see if there's any negative feedback. I'm good either way …

On a side note, I noticed I F'd up the .dds preview images in the previous upload. My apologies if it tripped you up before. I double-checked everything this time around.

Cheers!

#19 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:29

Panthercules,

As I mentioned in my recent PM, I was able to improve these a bit. Everything is updated and final.

My intention was to make my skins a bit closer to the Jasta 7 D.Va skins in the game, with regard to the panel seam weathering effects. Below is a pic of both planes. I tried to add some paint chipping as well, but the level of overall weathering to the D.Va skin is pretty heavy. I did not want to try to do that much, but my hope was to make my skin look a bit more realistic and closer in theme. I think I succeeded with that, and it's definitely an improvement from my previous work.

Attached File  ROF 2013-12-09 23-35-27-19.jpg   656.54KB   273 downloads

I am ABSOLUTELY done with this skin and moving on to my next project …

Thanks for all your help! :S!:

#20 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:12

Poll concluded; thread locked.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 65.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users