Photo
- - - - -

How to Simulate Loss of Consciousness in RoF (with video)

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 14 August 2013 - 15:05

Hi all,

I've worked on this over the last few weeks just for kicks. It's for single player missions only because if it's used for multiplayer I believe the effect will be applied to everyone on the server. I don't know if it can be isolated to one player, but it would be great if it could be as I would then implement it in my multiplayer missions :twisted:

Why bother?
I decided to do this since I recalled in the old Red Baron 3D that whenever you are wounded you really had a limited timeframe to get home before you died. I thought that if a definite incentive to break off for home was needed in RoF, this would be pretty cool to see if it was possible.

Anyway, I've used the mission editor to simulate losing consciousness when your pilot is wounded, so the download in this post will work mods off or on with no problems. Here is a basic rundown…

What is it?
Once your pilot is wounded it sets off the sequence of three progressive stages where you lose consciousness at random intervals (progressing through the stages is also randomised), but your chances of losing consciousness begin increasing the longer you are airborne until eventually you progress to the "death stage" where you gradually black out (blood loss) completely and die. If you land/crash safely before the death stage finishes you will survive.
I've made a video about it where you can see what all three stages and the death stage looks like so you can get a better understanding of it.

Instructions
In the download I've included a non-random test mission for you to fly it and see the effects quickly (just shoot yourself in the pants or crash the plane), as well as a group file so you can insert it into your own mission as well as modify it if you want. Extract the black.jpg to your data folder, and extract the wounding test mission to your missions folder to see it in SP.

It probably won't get any use unless I made my own campaign, but I just thought I'd share it here in case anyone wants to use it. Enjoy.

Thanks to Panthercules and HotTom for helping me test it :)
Loss of consciousness files

#2 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 14 August 2013 - 15:52

Testing this was fun - looking forward to trying out the final version in some real missions. If we could just figure out some simple way to inject this into a pre-existing mission (like a PWCG mission, or the campaign missions), instead of having to create a special mission from scratch, that would be great.

BTW - I found that it increases the effect/immersion if you discipline yourself to let go of your joystick/controller during the "blackout" periods, to avoid the natural tendency to try to keep flying through them.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#3 RAC_Shnoze_Shmon

RAC_Shnoze_Shmon

Posted 14 August 2013 - 16:12

Nice! I did not remember this about RB3D

Well in most cases online, the guy who shot me is more than happy to help with the 3 stages and death. :lol:

#4 Dressedwings

Dressedwings
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 14 August 2013 - 16:21

Is it possible to have this implemented into the game itself? Have you considered it?

TOeIhAe.png

^CHECK THE LINK^

#5 CapnLeroy

CapnLeroy

Posted 14 August 2013 - 16:28

Great work! I was so programmed to this occurring in other sims (def remember RB3d, was this in IL-2?) that I find myself subconsciously waiting for it to happen in ROF.

#6 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 14 August 2013 - 17:38

Good one! You could maybe add even more immersion by playing a "heavy breathing" sound file that also progresses? :) Than instead of the subtitle a "gurgle" sound…

#7 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 14 August 2013 - 18:06

Interesting concept and a great effect and thanks for letting me help test it. :S!:

The problem I had was that, when wounded while letting an AI enemy shoot me, my plane came apart from being shot up long before I got through all the stages – but that's probably realistic.

That's probably why Req's demo shows him shooting himself – a controlled experiment.

I'm not sure the sound effects would add much immersion. After the first few time you heard them and the "Wow!" response fades, I think it would just be predictable and annoying. We had a sound effect in Steel Beasts when a crewman hit his (helmeted) head when the vehicle hit an obstacle. He would just make an "oof" sound. It was very understated and very cool, I thought. But, after awhile, even that got to be a predictable "same old" feature. Perhaps a "Curse you, Red Baron!"? :mrgreen:

Anyway, if you're curious, try the download as a mission. It's quite a bit more complex than what we have now.

#8 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 14 August 2013 - 20:30

It's possible to integrate it into missions. It is just a bunch of a triggers and media events linked to a player aircraft. Just a matter of the will to figure out how to apply it to a player's aircraft for every mission they take.

#9 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 14 August 2013 - 21:36

:S!: Well done. Much better than what we have now. Only thing I saw that was iffy was the sign saying you are dying. I had a near death experience and never saw that sign hmmmm :lol:

only joking people. ;)

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#10 =CfC=FatherTed

=CfC=FatherTed

Posted 14 August 2013 - 22:59

was this in IL-2?
It is. Pretty grim when it happens.

#11 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 14 August 2013 - 23:19

It's possible to integrate it into missions. It is just a bunch of a triggers and media events linked to a player aircraft. Just a matter of the will to figure out how to apply it to a player's aircraft for every mission they take.

Cool - would there be a way to create a JSGME-ready mod or similar approach to easily inject this routine into any target mission file? Maybe you could talk with Pat and see if he could incorporate it into his PWCG, perhaps as an option that could be selected or not at the player's option? And maybe check with Vik and see if there's an easy enough way for it to be built into the career mode missions?

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#12 robin100

robin100

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:18

This is what I've been looking for! Very good work. Hope it could be implemented into RoF (PWCG) to have effect in any mission flown if wounded.

#13 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:02

You need to manually add it in a given mission to work, is that correct?

#14 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:31

Good stuff. :)

#15 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:03

You need to manually add it in a given mission to work, is that correct?

Yes it needs to be manually added to the player's aircraft. You can check out the group file to see how it works and how the player's aircraft has event links to certain triggers.

#16 Eckhart

Eckhart

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:23

Where is the tunnel of light?

#17 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 15 August 2013 - 14:40

Can you send me a sample mission limited to the pilot plane and the necessary effects? If it is a well defined sequence of MCUs then coding it is not that big of an issue. Further making it optional is also (probably) not that difficult. I am heads down in development of PWCG 14.0 so now is a good time.

#18 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 15 August 2013 - 15:46

PM sent.

#19 J2_VonGraff

J2_VonGraff
  • LocationCenter of the Universe

Posted 15 August 2013 - 16:28

That seems awesome. Great if you could select to have it on or not. Also would be really excellent if it were somehow tied to the severity of the injury. In other words, there were many times that pilots were injured, and they (although in pain) could fly just fine and not black out at all and make it home at whatever pace they liked….ie, getting shot in the hand or foot or calf….etc etc. So if this could discriminate between types of injuries, say a torso penetration that caused this to intiate, that would be really realistic. If not, then a roll of the die for initiation I suppose would be similar (not as good but acceptable).

I have a small issue with the apparent accuracy of the Scout AI, don't get me wrong, it is VERY close to perfect. But I've had multiple occasions where in a passing spray of fire from enemy machines, my pilot is the only thing hit, and this between a swerving, very wide spary/arc of bullets from enemy craft. It should happen ocasionaly, but not as often as it does, and I think it is a minor tweak that needs to be made. I would hate to lose a campaign/career pilot who was forced to black out from a nicked finger recieved from an innacurate spurt of fire at extreme range, where the three rounds fired touched nothing in my machine but me! :o lol

Oh, and I do like the heavy breathing concept, it could even progresively slow down to nothing, or a death wheeze as you die.

RA

'Flight leader, fuel check - I have "E" gallons sir.'

j2-graff-signature-e1425051735579.jpg

#20 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 15 August 2013 - 16:49

A really neat concept.

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#21 Rover_27

Rover_27

Posted 15 August 2013 - 17:46

Wow, this is really cool!

#22 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 18:03

Fantastic Req! Great work.

Jason

#23 1PL-Sahaj-1Esk

1PL-Sahaj-1Esk

Posted 15 August 2013 - 18:12

I would say that it is a must add and that was missing in RoF. Smart way of adding it Req !

I am all for it !

kpt. pil. / Capt. Sahaj / Operations Officer / 1. Eskadra Mysliwska / 1. Pulk Lotniczy / http://www.1pl.boo.pl

bannerf11esks.png?raw=1

http://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com

#24 Thaatu

Thaatu

Posted 17 August 2013 - 13:43

Would this be easy to add to PWCG (if not to the whole game)? Is there anyway to make a mod or a mission specific script with randomized wound levels, so that when someone is wounded, he gets extra 0 to 3 points of damage? I'd like to try how much possible instant kills would change the dynamics.

#25 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 17 August 2013 - 15:43

I am working on getting it into PWCG 14.0. No promises, but I will try. Use will be optional.

#26 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:30

Yes, this is a great concept to curb pilots from continuing the dogfight (am guilty as charged, on occassion…).

Since the death sequence is a fade to black and is different from the black outs, I personally don't see the need for the subtitle "You are dying". It is intrusive to the experience.

I agree with Vander, a laboured breathing sound would be a better indicator that your time is really running out. Just a constructive suggestion.

#27 Dauntless1

Dauntless1

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:31

;)

I am working on getting it into PWCG 14.0. No promises, but I will try. Use will be optional.

#28 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:53

I did an update without telling anyone where I deleted that subtitle before sending it to Pat, so you can only expect that fade to black effect.

As for the sound effects during the fade to black, it is something I considered (along with a sound effect for when you are wounded), but I don't know if something like that is distasteful. If anyone wants to make recordings of some effects they want and send them to me via PM I'll put them in and see what its like.

#29 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:55

Wow! :o

That was eerie…and a MUST ADD for RoF.
Looking forward to having this in PWCG!

I like the idea of the breathing. Adds another dimension and would be a terrific addition.

#30 Gewehr98

Gewehr98

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:10

Is there any way to lock out the controls while the player is blacked out?

#31 AB1_J0NJ0N

AB1_J0NJ0N

Posted 20 August 2013 - 21:34

Wow! Great stuff, looking forward to the next PWCG. Apparently high altitude makes you bleed out faster, would be very cool if you could implement this. S!

#32 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 20 August 2013 - 22:29

Unfortunately there is no way for me to cancel control inputs during the blackout. It would be very cool to do, but something like that would need to be made by the devs. I've thought of a way to use this for simulating hypoxia, but it would be incredibly cumbersome to do in the ME.

#33 Mogster

Mogster

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:15

Once coded fully surely this could be included in BOS as well as ROF, just saying ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users