• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#121 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:34

New Landscape Mod FUBAR

Duel package v2

High resolution texture package #1 by SYN_Vander

I don't have a copy of Vander's high res texture mod, so I couldn't test it with JSGME to see what it reported about conflicts - did JSGME report that mod as over-writing any of Fubar's mod's files?

Also, with a lines in clouds problem I'd have to be a little suspicious of the enhanced sky mod as a possible cause (I liked that one and have used it before, but I don't happen to be running it at the moment).  So if my heavier cloud tests show the lines problem, that will probably let the sky mod off the hook, so to speak, but in the meantime you might want to run the same mission you saw the lines in after deactivating the sky mod and see if the lines in the clouds are still there.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#122 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:21

Well, I ran several more QMB missions at various cloud heights and densities, on several maps, with and without Happy Haddock's sky mod activated, and could not replicate that "lines in the clouds" problem, so I'm not sure what to say about that.  I imagine that HH's sky mod wipes out whatever Fubar did with the sky to deal with the haze or whatever he was doing with those files, but probably doesn't have much effect on the land textures Fubar modded.  However,  with all those clouds up there I couldn't really tell much about the horizon anyway - I'll have to do some more tests in clearer skies and see what the difference looks like between Fubar's sky and HH's sky.

It might help if you could post exactly what parameters you were using in that mission where you saw the cloud lines, so it would be easier to be sure I was comparing apples to apples.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#123 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:22

Hi Panthercules, I'm not having the problem with lines in clouds (I remember having this with some other mod including heavy weather) .

About my list, the mods that overwrite some files in FUBAR's new landscape mod are:

Ground Objects #1 v1.0

Static objects #1 v1.0

Static Planes v4.0 by Lefuneste

Enhanced sky v3.0a by Happyhaddock

#124 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:00

Hi Panthercules, I'm not having the problem with lines in clouds (I remember having this with some other mod including heavy weather) .

Yeah - I lost track of who was reporting the lines in cloud problems - it was Fansadox.

But your post about HH's cloud mod piqued my interest, so I've been running some tests trying to look at that in general, along with trying to replicate the lines in cloud problem Fansadox saw.

#125 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:08

OK - I ran a few more missions to try to compare stock versus Fubar's in terms of two key aspects - NML and the horizon haze.  The two screenshots show basically the same part of the terrain at about the same altitude, time of day etc (re-flew the same career mission):

First, stock (except for the Battlesmoke mod, which was on for both these tests):

RoF%20-%20stock%20NML%20and%20horizon%20

Then Fubar's latest (again, with Battlesmoke mod on):

RoF%20-%20Fubar%20NML%20and%20horizon%20

First, I like how the horizon is straighter with Fubar's mod than with stock  :icon_e_biggrin:

Seriously, in general I do like the way Fubar's textures look on the normal terrain, compared to stock.  I also kinda like the way the trenches are toned down and don't stick out like black zippers quite as much with Fubar's mod.  And I also like how NML itself isn't a totally-obliterated, featureless morass and that some of the underlying topography/lines, etc. show through with Fubar's. (I went to look at some WWI aerial photos, and many did show some hints of the underlying patterns surviving a bit).  However, I do get the sense that maybe a little too much of the underlying textures (furrows, pathways or whatever) is still visible with Fubar's, and the trenches are just a bit too indistinguishable as a result.  I think it would be great if there's a way to have it somewhere between the two - a little more obliterated than Fubar's but not as much as stock.

As for the horizon - I do like the sense of being able to see farther with Fubar's but I'm wondering if maybe it's just a little too clear?  I'm struggling a little to reconcile (in my mind's eye) the seemingly total lack of haze over the land "below" (closer than) the horizon line with the band of white haze-like color in the sky above the horizon line.  The white band seems about the same in both, but the contrast due to lack of haze in Fubar's makes it look a little odd to me. Again, I wonder if maybe somewhere in between - just a little more haze than Fubar's but not as much as stock - would be better.  I'm not sure if there's any way to tone down the white band in the sky and keep the look of the land (or close to it), but it might be interesting to try.

But all of this seems fairly nit-picky, as overall I think Fubar's mod is very impressive so far.

#126 1PL-Husar

1PL-Husar

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:24

I saw those lines when i was flying very high on cloudy Syndicate VM mission (no mods active). I will post SS tomorrow.

34zg6jd.jpg

#127 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:36

Hmm - highest I've gotten during these tests has been about 2,200 m.  I'll try to remember to do some higher-altitude tests tomorrow.

#128 Fansadox

Fansadox
  • LocationCockpit

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:20

In what file can i find the value that i can adjust so the clouds get rendered further away?

I think because the fog has been removed it becomes visible that the clouds arent rendered all the way. So normally the fog would block this or the horizon.

So i guess if we up the distance the engine starts rendering the clouds we should be good. Just need to know what i must change.

#129 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:43

@Panthercules, I agree with you that something *between* stock and Fubar's mod horizons would be nice, so I tested with Happyhaddock's new sky v3.0a. Although it overwrite several files, I believe that the end result is better (at least on the few missions I tried it so far).

As for the brown haze over NML, still looking for a way to "improve" it to my taste (a little bit more than Fubar's mod, but maybe slightly less than stock).

Other than that, I think that the game looks way better with Fubar's new textures, too.

#130 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 08 June 2015 - 13:08

One of the first things I noticed on my first visit to France was the haze.  Some days are probably more clear than others, but the ROF stock sky is still more clear than the sky I observed near St. Quentin.

P.S. I probably would not have noticed if I didn't grow up on the Pacific coast of NA.

#131 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 08 June 2015 - 13:48

One of the first things I noticed on my first visit to France was the haze.  Some days are probably more clear than others, but the ROF stock sky is still more clear than the sky I observed near St. Quentin.

P.S. I probably would not have noticed if I didn't grow up on the Pacific coast of NA.

Agreed. Here in Western Europe along the coast we'll very rarely see such a clear horizon.

In what file can i find the value that i can adjust so the clouds get rendered further away?

In the sky/weather files (data\graphics\sky\...\sky.ini). But there is a limit in how many clouds can be rendered at once, to protect FPS. So when you are going to increase visibility/fog distance you can get artifacts such as flickering clouds. Imho, it's all not worth it and I would stick with what we have now.

#132 Fansadox

Fansadox
  • LocationCockpit

Posted 08 June 2015 - 17:20

In the sky/weather files (data\graphics\sky\...\sky.ini). But there is a limit in how many clouds can be rendered at once, to protect FPS. So when you are going to increase visibility/fog distance you can get artifacts such as flickering clouds. Imho, it's all not worth it and I would stick with what we have now.

I cant because then i get those ugly lines in the distance. Whats the maximum value i can set it to?

And is the value i marked with the pink arrow the one i need to change in all the files? Do i touch density aswell or should i leave that alone if i only want the rendering distance furter away?

jLcox3l.jpg

#133 PapaFlo

PapaFlo
  • LocationInnsbruck

Posted 08 June 2015 - 19:22

Thank you for this great job!

Really well done. The mud looks just great!

Bravo!

:icon_e_salute:

Flo

intel i7 7700k@4,5Ghz watercooled with be-Quiet Silent Loop 240, GSkill Aegis 16 GB DDR4 Ram@2800Mhz, GigaByte GA-Z270-Gaming K3, Gainward GTX 1080 phoenix glh, TM Warthog throttle and stick (with 7,5cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind pedals, Saitek yoke, Saitek throttle quadrant x 2, Saitek trimm wheel, Gametrix KW 908 Jetseat, TrackIR 5

#134 Locknload595

Locknload595

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:41

Hi This looks nice but where do I download it from. When I click on the link on the first page it say invalid file ????

Cheers Doug

#135 PapaFlo

PapaFlo
  • LocationInnsbruck

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:24

Hi This looks nice but where do I download it from. When I click on the link on the first page it say invalid file ????

Cheers Doug

Checkout Post # 113 on previous page.

http://riseofflight....e-3#entry638090

Flo

intel i7 7700k@4,5Ghz watercooled with be-Quiet Silent Loop 240, GSkill Aegis 16 GB DDR4 Ram@2800Mhz, GigaByte GA-Z270-Gaming K3, Gainward GTX 1080 phoenix glh, TM Warthog throttle and stick (with 7,5cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind pedals, Saitek yoke, Saitek throttle quadrant x 2, Saitek trimm wheel, Gametrix KW 908 Jetseat, TrackIR 5

#136 Locknload595

Locknload595

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:36

Checkout Post # 113 on previous page.

http://riseofflight....e-3#entry638090

Flo

Thank you Sir :icon_e_smile:

#137 1PL-Husar

1PL-Husar

Posted 09 June 2015 - 16:23

I saw those lines when i was flying very high on cloudy Syndicate VM mission (no mods active). I will post SS tomorrow.

There is some limitations or bug witch create sometimes straight lines on clouds edges.

etxv8y.jpg

2uel8o5.jpg

Thers is bug with clouds - ground explosions are seen through clouds. This is also aparent in BOS but overall BOS clouds are more advanced version on RoF ones.

2ch2wpf.jpg

34zg6jd.jpg

#138 Fansadox

Fansadox
  • LocationCockpit

Posted 09 June 2015 - 17:28

So i am not the only one having these cloud issues. Im pretty sad at the moment because the textures of the ground and the clouds etc are amazing but these lines are a immersion killer..

Would be nice if FUBAR could have a look at it or explain what i could change so the heavy clouds dont get cut off by a straight line when flying above a certain altitude.

#139 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 09 June 2015 - 17:37

Hi Fansadox, I remember seeying this behavior when I tried another mod (can't remember the name) to apply different weather conditions, specially heavy weather... are you sure you don't have such a mod installed along new textures?

EDIT: I *think* it was a mod to alter the clouds in RoF, like "heavy clouds" or "cloud generator" or something...

#140 Uwe_W.

Uwe_W.
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 09 June 2015 - 19:05

So i am not the only one having these cloud issues. Im pretty sad at the moment because the textures of the ground and the clouds etc are amazing but these lines are a immersion killer..
Would be nice if FUBAR could have a look at it or explain what i could change so the heavy clouds dont get cut off by a straight line when flying above a certain altitude.

I don't think it's the mods that causes the issue.

#141 Fubar

Fubar

Posted 09 June 2015 - 19:57

Ok guys thought there might be a few issues.

First the heavy clouds, If I remember I used some files from a sky mod but can't think which one it was but what I will do for the time being is revert back to stock with some adjustments
(added a little more haze in the distance) here's a pic
Attached File  heavy.jpg   955.98KB   0 downloads

second the haze, this can be adjusted so its not a problem to increase this.

Guys feel free to add to or adjust this mod to make improvements ect but remember to share with us.
I'm going to the USA Thursday for a weeks holiday so I will not be around for a week, I will upload
the temp heavy cloud fix tomorrow.

#142 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 09 June 2015 - 20:34

First the heavy clouds, If I remember I used some files from a sky mod but can't think which one it was but what I will do for the time being is revert back to stock with some adjustments

Hi Fubar, thanks for the info.

If I remember correctly, I've got the same issues when trying the weather generator beta 1.6 heavy clouds and the Enhanced Sky mod 3.0 (not the 3.0a). Currently I'm using the Enhanced sky mod 3.0a (which overwrites some files - sky.ini and others - in your mod) and everything if fine.

Will try your new version too as soon as you upload it.

Cheers.

#143 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 09 June 2015 - 20:55

Yeah, the problem with these big cloud models is that you can only use them at altitude. Put them below 1750-2000m and you will see these clipping artifacts from up high. And inreasing view range will make it worse for clouds further away.

#144 Fansadox

Fansadox
  • LocationCockpit

Posted 09 June 2015 - 20:59

Hi Fubar thank you for the quick reply !

I will await the adjusted version of your beautifull texture pack.

Also have a great vacation next week :)

#145 Uwe_W.

Uwe_W.
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:50

FUBAR that is outstanding! Thank you so much!
Any chance of a version that is combined/compatible with happy haddock's sky mod v3a?

#146 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:14

Hi Uwe, I think you can try it. I'm flying it since day one with HH 3.0a and the results are perfect. No glitches at all, and all the eye candy of new textures too. As a bonus, I don't have any cloud lines, no matter how high I fly. Just did a fly at 8000 ft.

Just add HH mod after Fubar's (in JSGME), click yes to overwrite files and you're set. If you don't like it, just remove afterwards.

#147 warbirds

warbirds

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:22

Up high these textures are the best land textures I have seen in any game but down load they look fairly  bad and low rez. 

#148 Fansadox

Fansadox
  • LocationCockpit

Posted 10 June 2015 - 17:14

Up high these textures are the best land textures I have seen in any game but down load they look fairly  bad and low rez. 

Yeah but then again most of us are up high ;) 

#149 Fubar

Fubar

Posted 10 June 2015 - 20:17

Here's the files with the heavy clouds fix download here http://www.mediafire...capemod new.zip

#150 warbirds

warbirds

Posted 10 June 2015 - 20:45

Yeah but then again most of us are up high ;)

Yes I am really torn between keeping them or not. I am just amazed when I am at altitude because it looks like a perfect photograph. 

#151 Fansadox

Fansadox
  • LocationCockpit

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:09

Here's the files with the heavy clouds fix download here http://www.mediafire...capemod new.zip

Thanks Fubar ! Enjoy your holiday. :icon_e_salute:

#152 US103_Furlow

US103_Furlow

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:51

There is some limitations or bug witch create sometimes straight lines on clouds edges.

etxv8y.jpg

2uel8o5.jpg

Thers is bug with clouds - ground explosions are seen through clouds. This is also aparent in BOS but overall BOS clouds are more advanced version on RoF ones.

2ch2wpf.jpg

I've been having the same issues during the vintage missions with clouds does anyone know of a fix?  

#153 US103_Furlow

US103_Furlow

Posted 26 September 2017 - 15:38

Anyone?

#154 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 26 September 2017 - 16:27

Sorry - never seen this effect in the clouds, even when I was running stock clouds.  I did see it in the smoke/dust over the mud, but managed to pretty much get rid of it by using a mod (I think it was the battle smoke and effects textures mod, IIRC).  

Are they using some sort of cloud-related mod that might be causing this?  I've been using Happyhaddock's Enhanced Sky v.3.0a mod (with small clouds) for a long time, and haven't seen anything like this in the clouds, so maybe you could try that one to see if the issue goes away.

#155 US103_Furlow

US103_Furlow

Posted 26 September 2017 - 16:44

This is in mods off mode in multiplayer.  Could it be video memory related because I am running at 110% on a laptop?  Most of the time I don't see it on wargrounds though.

#156 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 26 September 2017 - 17:51

This is in mods off mode in multiplayer.  Could it be video memory related because I am running at 110% on a laptop?  Most of the time I don't see it on wargrounds though.

Possibly, I suppose - what are the specs for your laptop?

#157 US103_Furlow

US103_Furlow

Posted 26 September 2017 - 18:00

Sony Vaio, cpu: i5 2.5GHz, RAM: 4GB

Computer is 5 years old.

Pretty sure I tried lowering the graphics settings and it didn't help.

#158 US103_Furlow

US103_Furlow

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:47

Just checked and video memory usage is actually 101%.  I did try setting up a quick mission at 6000m over the verdun area and the only issue i had was seeing ground explosions through a cloud.  So it seems that its the worst on the vintage missions server than anywhere else.

#159 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:51

I noticed similar 'cutting off' of clouds on Hotlead's stream of Black Sept week2 (I think) and other players seemed to notice it too, so perhaps it's not your machine.

My takeaway was it might have been caused by default clouds set at a very low altitude.

BxlHM7Q.png                  HaO2aNP.png

#160 1PL-Husar

1PL-Husar

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:16

Those are some anomilities in clouds render. Video ram is not a issue,all low level clouds would have same problem when touching ground (BS2) as higher seen from great distances above. I'm not sure if that clouds were made by Zeus tool for nonstandard clouds which do work in multiplayer.

34zg6jd.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users