#41 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:09

That looks very good!

#42 elephant

elephant

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:02

If it weren't the clouds (too familiar) I could swear that the first couple of shots were real photos,
when I first saw them in smaller scale…
Great work, Fubar!

#43 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:44

Stunning!

I guess it's not possible to vary much with the colours as all the 3d trees will have to fade away into one distant "forest texture". But this looks very good and so the same could be used for a spring landscape with a mix of leafless trees and ones with blossom/few leaves.

#44 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:30

Another thing that may be improved. The textures of the fir trees (as can be seen around Verdun/ St. Mihiel) have a blocky appearance, specially the lower lod version.

#45 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:37

Wonderful! Especially with the bump mapping mod. I have been hoping for a very long time that something could be done with the mono-tone fall trees. In fact, the mono-tone trees in all seasons!
This all just looks so much better, many thanks. :S!:

#46 Fubar

Fubar

Posted 18 January 2014 - 20:33

Heres some pics of springtime trees which I'm toying with, these trees have some blossoms on the branches ect but the pinkness of the blossoms fade away in the distance which I like.
Attached File  1.jpg   1.6MB   371 downloads
Attached File  2.jpg   1.78MB   371 downloads
Attached File  3.jpg   1.65MB   371 downloads
Attached File  4.jpg   1.41MB   371 downloads

Also I'm looking for the house files and cliff files on the channel map to make some ajustments on the alpha channel ect if anyone knows where they are, see pics below ;)

Attached File  house.jpg   1.91MB   371 downloads
Attached File  cliff.jpg   1.93MB   371 downloads

#47 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 18 January 2014 - 22:34

1. They have more green in it.

A bit too much for me, found it lacks a bit of "gold".
From a flight in 2012, around Lens:

Fubar,

What you're doing just gets better looking all the time. One thing, as in the photo above posted by Action Joe, the maps could use more bright golden fields I think. This also came up in WOFF and I thought it was too much, but then actual photos were posted of the Flanders area where it looked just like this photo…there were bright golden fields everywhere (the person said wheat and barley I think).

Anyway, don't know what times of year, but at least part of the time there should be a whole lot more bright golden fields (maybe some of our players from France can help with more photos and time period).

Thanks, Fubar!

#48 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:08

Please know I brought this cliff issue up in beta testing, there is no easy solution. That said, have you done something to make it look worse? I've never seen it look so bad.

The problem of the cliff grass is that the cliff sits on top of the terrain, it is an object (so to speak) and therefore has an interaction edge with the terrain. The cliff grass really is the same colour hue and tone as the terrain, but is not on the same 'viewing plane' so the sunlight makes it look different. At certain times of the day you can't see that interaction line, but mostly it is an eye-sore :?

I think the best-easiest solution would be to scatter some trees along that line (do we also have small shrubs?), and anything else appropriate to break it up, but they must be randomly placed or it will look funny.

RE: ActionJoe's fine aerial image:
If the picture is taken in spring then some of the "gold" fields may be freshly plowed fields where the earth has already sun dried. If the picture is late spring to early summer, then the "gold" is likely a mature crop of early winter wheat which is planted the fall before - the seeds germinate and roots form early. Come spring, these plants have the 'jump' on other crops and weeds and harvest early (turn gold).

#49 actionjoe

actionjoe
  • LocationNord, France.

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:32

If the picture is late spring to early summer, then the "gold" is likely a mature crop of early winter wheat which is planted the fall before - the seeds germinate and roots form early.

Yes, the picture was took 25/05/12.

#50 Fubar

Fubar

Posted 24 January 2014 - 19:17

Please know I brought this cliff issue up in beta testing, there is no easy solution. That said, have you done something to make it look worse? I've never seen it look so bad.

The problem of the cliff grass is that the cliff sits on top of the terrain, it is an object (so to speak) and therefore has an interaction edge with the terrain. The cliff grass really is the same colour hue and tone as the terrain, but is not on the same 'viewing plane' so the sunlight makes it look different. At certain times of the day you can't see that interaction line, but mostly it is an eye-sore :?

I think the best-easiest solution would be to scatter some trees along that line (do we also have small shrubs?), and anything else appropriate to break it up, but they must be randomly placed or it will look funny.

RE: ActionJoe's fine aerial image:
If the picture is taken in spring then some of the "gold" fields may be freshly plowed fields where the earth has already sun dried. If the picture is late spring to early summer, then the "gold" is likely a mature crop of early winter wheat which is planted the fall before - the seeds germinate and roots form early. Come spring, these plants have the 'jump' on other crops and weeds and harvest early (turn gold).

SYN_Bandy I have made a change to the channel map detail.dds file, what I wish to find is the
grass cliff texture and the chalk cliff texture ect so I can make them match better. However
they must be hidden away somewhere because I can't find them anywhere :(

#51 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 24 January 2014 - 19:23

I never looked into the channelmap but these look suspicous:
chalk textures you find in graphics/landscape_channel/
cliff_tex0.tga
cliff_tex1.tga
cliff_tex2.tga

#52 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 24 January 2014 - 20:45

The thing that kills me about the channel map is the shoreline. The sand looks hideous and not at all like the north sea coast, and the shallow water is from Hawaii.

#53 Fubar

Fubar

Posted 24 January 2014 - 21:32

I never looked into the channelmap but these look suspicous:
chalk textures you find in graphics/landscape_channel/
cliff_tex0.tga
cliff_tex1.tga
cliff_tex2.tga

Tried these mate but nothing happening

The thing that kills me about the channel map is the shoreline. The sand looks hideous and not at all like the north sea coast, and the shallow water is from Hawaii.

trying to change this but there seams to be a lot of files that I can't find including channel map houses, they must be somewhere :?

#54 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:14

I know I saw the textures already and now found again ;)

graphics/grounds/textures/

#55 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:57

Hey, the Brits love their holiday coast, don't they? :D
Not saying it looks like this all the time but…
Yes, I know, likely captured with a polarizing filter.

Folkestone

French coastline

#56 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:47

Well, let's look at the sand. In your pictures, do you notice the gradations of color that run parallel to the shoreline? That's important for making a beach look like a beach. It's missing in the RoF shoreline. Instead it looks like a homogeneous mixture of large pebbles or something.

Another thing is the silt content in the water. I've been on the North Sea coast and I know what that water looks like. You can sometimes see your feet when you wade up to your knees. The RoF shoreline water looks like it came from a Brita commercial.

It's not something that can be fixed with a bigger GPU and more detailed textures. It's about making the parts of the landscape look like they belong together, and the channel map comes up short here.

Maybe fubar can help it? We will see.

#57 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 26 January 2014 - 18:34

On page 2 and 5 Fubar posted new pics (which look great!).
Has this mod been updated from what's posted on page 1?
I looked thru the thread and didnt find any updated references or links.

#58 Fubar

Fubar

Posted 26 January 2014 - 20:25

I know I saw the textures already and now found again ;)

graphics/grounds/textures/

Thanks WW1EAF_Paf

However on my system I don't have a folder named "grounds" is your ROF downloaded from steam :?: I don't no if you could do me a favour and upload these files and folders somewhere.
I've looked in all the gtp files in my ROF game folders but no Joy :roll:

SYN_Bandy thanks for those pics

Well, let's look at the sand. In your pictures, do you notice the gradations of color that run parallel to the shoreline? That's important for making a beach look like a beach. It's missing in the RoF shoreline. Instead it looks like a homogeneous mixture of large pebbles or something.

Another thing is the silt content in the water. I've been on the North Sea coast and I know what that water looks like. You can sometimes see your feet when you wade up to your knees. The RoF shoreline water looks like it came from a Brita commercial.

It's not something that can be fixed with a bigger GPU and more detailed textures. It's about making the parts of the landscape look like they belong together, and the channel map comes up short here.

Maybe fubar can help it? We will see.

gavagai I've tried to add parallel lines into the shoreline but in some parts of the beaches
the lines run vertical and other parts horizontal :(
Also I think the dev's made the beach textures to look like pebbles because many beaches on
the south coast line have pebbles. I live near Brighton which has pebble beaches and hastings
is also the same, there are some sand beaches but the game only uses one texture for all beaches.

On page 2 and 5 Fubar posted new pics (which look great!).
Has this mod been updated from what's posted on page 1?
I looked thru the thread and didnt find any updated references or links.

BroadSide I haven't updated these textures yet its all work in progress, hope to have something
done soon :S!:

#59 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 26 January 2014 - 21:05

@ Fubar, check your PM ;)

#60 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 27 January 2014 - 16:36

gavagai I've tried to add parallel lines into the shoreline but in some parts of the beaches
the lines run vertical and other parts horizontal :(
Also I think the dev's made the beach textures to look like pebbles because many beaches on
the south coast line have pebbles. I live near Brighton which has pebble beaches and hastings
is also the same, there are some sand beaches but the game only uses one texture for all beaches.

Fair enough, but even then you get a gradient depending where you are on the beach. The water carries smaller pebbles higher up the beach.

#61 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 27 January 2014 - 18:00

…there seams to be a lot of files that I can't find including channel map houses, they must be somewhere :?
I saw a light house and possibly other building textures on one of the merchant ship texture .dds files, so it looks like developers are efficiently using texture space for performance. The house textures could be anywhere, you're going to have to check them all, and guess what, they'll be in the last place you look. :D

TGA are raster files generally used for icons and some scalable particles no? Not terrain to my knowledge, but who knows. :?

#62 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 27 January 2014 - 18:11

Here they are:

graphics/blocks/textures/
blde01.dds
blde01_d1.dds

#63 Fubar

Fubar

Posted 30 January 2014 - 20:29

This is odd I cant find folders some people seam to have :?

Here they are:

blde01.dds
blde01_d1.dds

WW1EAF_Paf there are more house files somewhere for the channel map, the files you found above
are used on the channel map and also used on Summer map, Autumn map ect.
I'm trying to modify the alpha channels so the houses are less reflective.

See this pic the houses in the green circles have modified alpha channels (they are less reflective) the red arrow shows the house with unmodified alpha channels (much more reflective).
small detail but looks better on my rig.
Attached File  houses.jpg   328.93KB   441 downloads

I'm also looking for the chalk file in front of the cliffs.
WW1EAF_Paf do you think this is in the grounds folder which again I cant find on my system.

heres a pic of file needed
Attached File  cliffs.jpg   413.81KB   441 downloads

Thanks for any help you Guys are giving me with this :S!:

#64 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 21:46

Attached File  Cliffs_Textures_1.zip   1.93MB   32 downloads

Attached File  Cliffs_Textures_2.zip   1.86MB   27 downloads

#65 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 30 January 2014 - 22:27

Fubar, i have your old mod "winter and late autumn trees", and have added the late autumn tree folder into this new texture mod (wich doesn't have tree folder for landscape_autumn, like the landscape_winter one).
But it seems i can't see the late autumn trees in QMB :? …is it normal?
(i see the winter trees of this mod though)

#66 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 31 January 2014 - 00:47

…Also I'm looking for the … cliff files on the channel map to make some ajustments on the alpha channel ect if anyone knows where they are, see pics below ;)
Perhaps something to consider, but don't know if it can easily be accomplished.

To get rid of that ugly cliff interface line along the top where it meets the terrain, why not push fields to the edge of the terrain and make that part of the top of the cliff texture also into a mix of agricultural fields, roads/paths, and hedges, etc?

It may be too much work to get it to match up with the terrain itself though, since where that 'interface line' is not easy to figure out. I'm hoping something can be done.

And again
, it appears that how the water along the coastline looks from the sky really depends on the lighting conditions. Or is this only because of a polarizing filter on all these cameras?

#67 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:49

Here they are:

blde01.dds
blde01_d1.dds

WW1EAF_Paf there are more house files somewhere for the channel map, the files you found above

See this pic the houses in the green circles have modified alpha channels (they are less reflective) the red arrow shows the house with unmodified alpha channels (much more reflective).

Well I didn't change the textures myself but are you sure about the houses?
The once you've encircled are the houses from the western front map and the textures are located in bld01.dds.
The file blde01.dds containsthe british houses,at least it looks so.
Texture Link

For the rocks on the bottom of the cliffs, the file is called "rocks_dover.dds"
in graphics/blocks/textures
Here the file

#68 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:03

:S!: Nice work on the mods, thanks from a mere player.

btw I expect you know this, but just in case someone wonders why the fields just behind the cliffs are a brilliant yellow in your photos it is because these are planted with what we call oilseed rape in the UK. As far as I know this was not planted in the early 20th century: I recall being very surprised the first time I saw a field that colour, which I think was in the late seventies at the earliest.

In WW1 the areas behind the cliff might have been standard 4 crop rotation or left as grass and gorse downland. Chalky soil is not very productive without lots of modern chemicals but it might have been pressed into use as cropland during the war due to concerns about food security. In 1914 it would have been uncultivated for sure.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#69 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:47

Here they are:

blde01.dds
blde01_d1.dds

Well I didn't change the textures myself but are you sure about the houses?
The once you've encircled are the houses from the western front map and the textures are located in bld01.dds.
The file blde01.dds containsthe british houses,at least it looks so.

Yes bld01= western front map, blde01 = Channel map houses. They both use alpha channel now for reflectiveness. Before the Channel map update there was no reflectiveness/alpha channel.

#70 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:46

… btw I expect you know this, but just in case someone wonders why the fields just behind the cliffs are a brilliant yellow in your photos it is because these are planted with what we call oilseed rape in the UK. As far as I know this was not planted in the early 20th century: I recall being very surprised the first time I saw a field that colour, which I think was in the late seventies at the earliest.

In WW1 the areas behind the cliff might have been standard 4 crop rotation or left as grass and gorse downland. Chalky soil is not very productive without lots of modern chemicals but it might have been pressed into use as cropland during the war due to concerns about food security. In 1914 it would have been uncultivated for sure.
In N.America rape seed is called canola, and was not advocating it being planted in RoF :D was posting yet another image of the cliff top. As mentioned in my post I'm just trying to encourage hiding that interface line between terrain and cliff 'object' which is so damn unsightly. The best, easiest, way to do so is to break up the texture (rather than leave it just green) with cultivated fields with furrows, hedge lines, roads/paths, etc.

Not passing judgement here, because I understand attention to detail, but I prefer to avoid being a slave to history on such things in order to improve visual experience overall. But that may just be me…

#71 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 01 February 2014 - 14:08

SYN_Bandy: roger that. I suppose I am still traumatised by some of the threads in the CloD forums about the appearance of the English countryside.

Now get back to work! ;)

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#72 Fubar

Fubar

Posted 28 February 2014 - 20:27

Update on what's happening with these landscape textures.

heres some pics of the white cliff textures I've made. I was not able to make big changes to the way the cliff top textures are rendered but have made some changes overall. I also made
some changes to the houses ect.
Attached File  3.jpg   650.98KB   673 downloads
Attached File  beach1.jpg   1.51MB   670 downloads
Attached File  beach2.jpg   1.2MB   670 downloads

I'm also in the process of changing the textures for the fir-pine trees as requested by SYN_Vander heres a pic of these trees (this is work in progress)
Attached File  trees.jpg   1.48MB   670 downloads

Also I've made the winter landscape with more grass ect showing and less snow in some fields.
Attached File  winter1.jpg   1.76MB   670 downloads
Attached File  winter2.jpg   1.58MB   670 downloads

and I've done some more work on the Autumn textures.
Attached File  autumn.jpg   1.44MB   670 downloads

I'm still in the process of tweaking trees ect :S!:

#73 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 28 February 2014 - 21:40

Excellent progress!

#74 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 28 February 2014 - 21:40

Excellent job Fubar! :shock:
Could say as always, cause i couldn't fly without your texture mod, winter trees and late autumn trees :)
Looking forward to your new winter ground!

#75 elephant

elephant

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:28

Fantastic, Fubar!
The coasts look Awesome…again I was fooled by looking the thumbnails being real life pics.
One thing though…I find the white cliff texture in the first comparison pic a little hard,
may be out of scale a bit?

#76 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 01 March 2014 - 15:43

Looks like the fir trees do not have that "square" low res texture? Well done!

#77 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:57

Is there any chance we can get more "hooks" linked to the months of the year to link additional texture sets for more season variation into the campaign?

#78 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 04 March 2014 - 19:47

The cliffs and the scree at the bottom look wonderful, great work. And thanks for the trees! :S!:

#79 FlatSpinMan

FlatSpinMan

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:22

I've just looked into these mods after not being into RoF for a while. Wow! These look fantastic. The trees look like something for an FPS game. Very impressive.
Now I must look into actually using all the new things we have.
(OT but are the new "infantry charging" units in the career mode?)

#80 Fritz-Fraghof

Fritz-Fraghof

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:07

Lovely screenshot previews and a great mod. Thank you for posting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users