Photo
- - - - -

New Landscape textures

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#1 Fubar

Fubar

Posted 09 August 2013 - 20:48

New Landscape textures with AnKor85 terrain bump-mapping mod and smart blur mod.

This mod is made to be used with JSGME mod Enabler.

Also highly recommended is SweetFX which I've used to change colours and add sharpening to textures ect, which also helps with the bump-mapping
and details in the landscape textures.

There are many changes with this mod the main changes being the landscape textures, mixed colour summer trees, mixed colour and less leaf Autumn trees,
Leafless winter trees, ajusted houses ect textures and Alpha channels and some others which I can't remember.

Its all been abit of a balancing act with this (changing one thing can have a negative effect on something else) so I've tried to get a good compromise but
I hope this mod gives you more enjoyment with this great sim.

Heres some pics
Attached File  summer.jpg   1.45MB   1355 downloads
Attached File  summer high.jpg   1.78MB   1342 downloads
Attached File  Autumn.jpg   1.45MB   1341 downloads
Attached File  Autumn high.jpg   1.74MB   1337 downloads
Attached File  beach1.jpg   1.51MB   1340 downloads
Attached File  winter less.jpg   1.57MB   1342 downloads

Download "Landscapemod here http://www.mediafire...capemod new.zip

Also if you want more snow in the winter textures download these textures and Enable these files over the landscape mod.
Attached File  more snow.jpg   1.61MB   1343 downloads

Download "Landscape winter more snow" here http://www.mediafire.../download/oudee … e+snow.zip

#2 elephant

elephant

Posted 09 August 2013 - 21:06

I'm a big fan! :D
I've already installed your previous landscape textures pack.
Will update ASAP ;)
Thanks!

:S!:

#3 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 09 August 2013 - 21:29

Cool - been using the earlier versions for a while now - looking forward to giving these new ones a try.

Thanks for sharing!

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:  36144220793_f99e77ba91_o.jpg

#4 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:51

This makes me want to put my shaders on MAX!

Fubar, does this include your "winter tree" mod as well (past texture releases had the tree mod included)?

and THANKS!

#5 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:55

Tried 'em.

Details not as sharp as my default with SweetFX.

Colors were much too saturated for my taste (and my old eyes).

But others may find it an improvement. Worth a few minutes of experimenting.

Thanks, Fubes!

#6 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:37

Looks interesting. Thank you for post and your efforts. :S!:

Please correct me if wrong. Other than the bump mapping, I see that you've removed the ubiquitous snow from the winter tree branches, (which is worth the price of admission right there and should be adopted by the devs), some changes to colour saturation for fall perhaps, and I think I see a few small changes to fields in your pics.

Would be nice to see side-by-side comparison screenshots of before/after in same location, if not asking too much. You see I have a smallish SSD and am loath to download/install anything without more evidence.

#7 LordNeuro_Srb

LordNeuro_Srb
  • LocationNovi Sad/Serbia

Posted 10 August 2013 - 20:48

Looks wery good , nice work, but i have to ask is there any system impact. I use midium shaders and mid landscepe textures so is there any point to use ur gr8 mod. Old pc so i cannt use max on any.

#8 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 10 August 2013 - 20:58

Very nice. These shaders include your winter trees, too?

#9 Fubar

Fubar

Posted 11 August 2013 - 19:36

This makes me want to put my shaders on MAX!

Fubar, does this include your "winter tree" mod as well (past texture releases had the tree mod included)?

and THANKS!

Yes BroadSide it also has the winter tree mod included

Looks wery good , nice work, but i have to ask is there any system impact. I use midium shaders and mid landscepe textures so is there any point to use ur gr8 mod. Old pc so i cannt use max on any.

On my PC LordNeuro theres no system impact.

Looks interesting. Thank you for post and your efforts. :S!:

Please correct me if wrong. Other than the bump mapping, I see that you've removed the ubiquitous snow from the winter tree branches, (which is worth the price of admission right there and should be adopted by the devs), some changes to colour saturation for fall perhaps, and I think I see a few small changes to fields in your pics.

Would be nice to see side-by-side comparison screenshots of before/after in same location, if not asking too much. You see I have a smallish SSD and am loath to download/install anything without more evidence.

SYN_Bandy I'll post some comparison screenshots soon but I'm going to make some ajustments to
textures ;)

#10 Sabre

Sabre

Posted 30 September 2013 - 20:04

Tried 'em.

Details not as sharp as my default with SweetFX.

HotTom, how about AA with SweetFX in RoF? I find most textures very clear but also too granular with SweetFX with some other games.

Thanks,
Sabre.

#11 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 30 September 2013 - 20:38

Thanks a lot Fubar :S!:

I'll try it soon.
I guess changes are visible in career mode mods on?

#12 Fubar

Fubar

Posted 30 September 2013 - 22:03

Thanks a lot Fubar :S!:

I'll try it soon.
I guess changes are visible in career mode mods on?

Hi Fifi I'm in the process of making some changes to this mod
new colour for Autumn trees some things to tone down abit ect
so you may wish to wait for the update. And yes changes are
visible in career mode mods on :S!:

#13 Sabre

Sabre

Posted 30 September 2013 - 22:56

Fubar, I'm flying your mod (landscape and landscape light) with No_Shimmering_v1.0 and Smart_Blur_v1.0. While installing it JSGME showed some warnings but I still added it, I hope they are compatible. Anyway, I like it, and btw I have SweetFX v1.4 (with a custom settings file) running alongside. I think it's a keeper, but I agree some things need to be toned down.

Sabre.

#14 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:28

Finally got around to trying these. Very, very beautiful, and worthy of a bump. Nice work fubar.

#15 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 October 2013 - 15:23

Hello fubar,
Just finished a couple of missions in Career and I found your mod absolutely fantastic.
A keeper.
I agree with yourself and others about tones being a bit bright, but I would still keep it even if you didn't tone it down.
Thanks very much for doing this work, it has increased the immersion level imho immensely, due to the realism of the countryside.
Looking forward to your updated version.
Cheers,
Spag. :)

ps. I just dropped it into Mods and enabled it over the top of all warnings and without changing any other mods. For those who are worried about doing that.

Bite off more than you can chew.

Then chew like Hell ! ! !

#16 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 28 October 2013 - 15:27

Spag, you can always reduce the color saturation in the "startup" file: rise of flight\data

#17 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 October 2013 - 20:27

Spag, you can always reduce the color saturation in the "startup" file: rise of flight\data

Many thanks gav.
I am not anywhere near up too speed with all those sorts of files.
It's why I was asking about the 'water towers' and how to delete just them.
Cheers,

#18 ParachuteProne

ParachuteProne

Posted 22 December 2013 - 17:09

Love it ! Makes a big difference.

Thanks !

#19 Fubar

Fubar

Posted 22 December 2013 - 20:55

Happy you like it ParachuteProne

However I'm working on some new textures which will include AnKor85 terrain bump-mapping mod see here
[MOD] Terrain bump-mapping

I'm also adjusting the trees for the summer and Autumn textures

Heres some pics

Attached File  1.jpg   1.86MB   381 downloads
Attached File  2.jpg   1.53MB   381 downloads
Attached File  3.jpg   1.89MB   381 downloads
Attached File  4.jpg   1.62MB   381 downloads

#20 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 22 December 2013 - 21:37

:o

Excellent! Hope these get included in the game some day!

Is it possible to tone down the bump mapping on the airfield textures? It's a bit low res when you are close.

#21 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 22 December 2013 - 22:24

Nice :)

I'm working on some new textures which will include AnKor85 terrain bump-mapping mod
Well, I may make be some changes in my mod in the future if I get time for additional tuning.
And I haven't released my bump mapping mod for winter maps yet, but just to let you know - while summer/autumn shader assumes that brighter colors correspond to lower elevation (i.e. almost white road is below darker green fields), the winter shader will most likely be inverted - roads are drawn as almost black lines and should appear lower than white snow.

If you have any other ideas about color->elevation processing - let me know.

Vander, unfortunately there is no easy way to separate ground texture from "substrate" - they are combined together before being processed by bump-mapping shader.
Perhaps if Fubar redraws them with less contrast they will appear more flat, but I'm not sure whether it really help.

#22 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 30 December 2013 - 15:41

Just installed these wonderful textures.

Any chance on a "Spring" version for the landscape textures? With less green, more browns and the trees not with all the leaves yet?

A lot of important (air) battles were during the spring, "Bloody April", the 1918 Spring Offensive. etc.

#23 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 30 December 2013 - 16:17

Hats off Fubar! I know its really alot of work.
I started spring textures but its really some tiresome work to test - rework- test …

#24 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 30 December 2013 - 17:12

Excellent!

What takes most time to test? You are not changing the general texture outlines?
I can imagine that the transition from forest texture to actual tree texture colours is difficult to get right?
Anyway, in (early) spring there are not that many trees with leaves, but maybe blossom?:

#25 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 30 December 2013 - 17:45

Yes, only did some work on the original textures and replaced the summer for testing, so trees are still in full green :) I think about adding some snow and see how it looks.

Whats time consuming is the amount of textures-tiles you have to prepare to get into the game. 1 is quite fast but you need at best most of them to have a feeling for the appearance of the landscape. At least for me :)

#26 Fubar

Fubar

Posted 30 December 2013 - 19:33

Ha guys

As stated in my post before I'm adding a number of textures to enhance AnKor85
Terrain bump mapping mod and also tweaking some other textures heres a pic
Attached File  Untitled-1 copy.jpg   1.35MB   439 downloads

SYN_Vander I've adjusted the airfields alittle so there is not so much bump mapping on them. This was achieved by adjusting contrast ect (as stated by AnKor85 above).

Also Vander I may be able to combine the winter trees I made with the summer trees, so some tree have leaves or blossom and some trees dont.

AnKor85 said he may make some changes to his bump mapping mod and add it to the winter textures also which will be good, I'm hopeing he may
be able to improve the small texture seam problem that you sometimes see with this mod, however this in my opinion is a small price to pay for such a great mod.

WW1EAF_Paf you are correct it is tiresome work to test ;)

#27 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 December 2013 - 21:44

Hello Fubar,
Sounds great, thankyou and everyone else who is involved for taking the time and effort to do this.
I can well imagine that it is not easy to do.
I have always thought that the trenches were a bit too symmetrically perfect.
Should they also have damage done to them?
I guess that is asking a bit much, but it would be fantastic if they were a bit less perfect in their construction and had some parts that were destroyed.
Cheers,

#28 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 30 December 2013 - 22:29

Attached File  trench1, 1917.jpg   242.85KB   420 downloads

Attached File  trench2.jpg   67.63KB   420 downloads

Attached File  Trench3.jpg   85.17KB   419 downloads

Attached File  trench4.jpg   60.36KB   419 downloads

#29 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 30 December 2013 - 23:44

Ha guys

As stated in my post before I'm adding a number of textures to enhance AnKor85
Terrain bump mapping mod and also tweaking some other textures heres a pic

SYN_Vander I've adjusted the airfields alittle so there is not so much bump mapping on them. This was achieved by adjusting contrast ect (as stated by AnKor85 above).

Also Vander I may be able to combine the winter trees I made with the summer trees, so some tree have leaves or blossom and some trees dont.

AnKor85 said he may make some changes to his bump mapping mod and add it to the winter textures also which will be good, I'm hopeing he may
be able to improve the small texture seam problem that you sometimes see with this mod, however this in my opinion is a small price to pay for such a great mod.

WW1EAF_Paf you are correct it is tiresome work to test ;)

Ah looking good so far! Are those little soldiers in the trenches?

#30 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:50

It is possible to mix in two different types of trees. I know DiFis has done it on one of his test maps.

Jason

#31 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 02 January 2014 - 17:35

You guys remember these? ;)

#32 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 02 January 2014 - 18:57

Yup!

#33 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 02 January 2014 - 19:34

:)

There are twothings Ilike about the old textures:
1. They have more green in it.
2. Most of the fields are much smaller. The "new" fields are really big and I think the smaller ones would be more fitting for the beginning of the last century. When using GoogleEarth even today the fields in this area aren't that big.

On the other hand, the "new" ones have much more detail and overall save performance because of smart tiling.

#34 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:51

Fubar,
I tried your landscape textures and I must say I really like them. They are an improvement over the stock one. I don't use your "details" file though, I prefer the original one (I can't use shaders on high since the last couple updates).

They look amazing, especially from high altitudes. from low down they're a bit lo-res, but still, an improvement.

I was wondering, could you make a mode for the no man's land textures? I always found them a tad too dark, just a little. If they were of a bit lighter shade, the frontline would fit into the rest of the landscape much more nicely.

Thanks again for your work! :S!:

#35 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 03 January 2014 - 13:43

:)

There are twothings Ilike about the old textures:
2. Most of the fields are much smaller. The "new" fields are really big and I think the smaller ones would be more fitting for the beginning of the last century. When using GoogleEarth even today the fields in this area aren't that big.

On the other hand, the "new" ones have much more detail and overall save performance because of smart tiling.

Either I missed these, or I never noticed the change. :)

#36 actionjoe

actionjoe
  • LocationNord, France.

Posted 03 January 2014 - 14:46

A bit too much for me, found it lacks a bit of "gold".
From a flight in 2012, around Lens:

515024ActionjoeScreen.jpg

#37 Fubar

Fubar

Posted 04 January 2014 - 00:26

Ha Guys

The trench can't be varied very much its a small file which is repeated over and over sorry.

SYN Vander the men in the trench are not 3d there just part of the skin, its just a cheap trick
to make the trench look manned.

hq_Reflected these textures I'm working on now have a little lighter no man's land texture ;)

Anyway guys as Jason Quoted above you can mix the trees, so I've mixed the summer and winter textures together and come up with Autumn trees which now has a tree with lots of leaves and
a tree with not many leaves, heres some pics.

Attached File  1.jpg   1.64MB   334 downloads
Attached File  2.jpg   1.71MB   333 downloads
Attached File  3.jpg   1.46MB   332 downloads
Attached File  4.jpg   1.26MB   334 downloads
Attached File  5.jpg   1.55MB   332 downloads

I'm also trying out some springtime trees with blossom on them :S!:

#38 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:05

The mixed trees look intriguing - any chance of mixing in some fall colors as well, so there's even more variation between full green leaves and leaves all gone? (or are you limited to only two types, as Jason's post may be indicating?)

Looking forward to seeing the results of your work and giving them a try :S!:

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:  36144220793_f99e77ba91_o.jpg

#39 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:21

Jaws down!Awesome work!

#40 Blade_meister

Blade_meister

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:24

Keep up the good work Fubar, it is looking better and better as you keep tweaking it. Thanks for all the time and hard work you are putting into this. It is exciting to see ROF look better and better.

S!Blade<><

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users