- - - - -

Heavy Artillery - Big guns

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#41 Genius

Genius

Posted 26 September 2013 - 21:43

Hi,

It's not a problem to export the mesh and the uv mapping in blender when you use .obj files.

Yes, all mesh are suvdivised in triangles but no impact to the uv map.

Parameters in blender to export in wavefront(.obj):

Test in 3dsmax:

P.S.: do not rely on the viewport (pixelization) but use render to view the result

Edit (P.S. 2): blender have 2 useful tools for Uv mapping :
- "unwrap - smart uv project"
- and the most useful "unwrap - project from view"

#42 Genius

Genius

Posted 28 September 2013 - 00:11

Re,

Just finished UV mapping:

Edit, test import and collision.

i have some problem with materials (gennadish tools). "building" material & blocks object are ok / "steel" material and train object are not ok. I double check normals in 3ds, it is ok.

The "building" and "steel" object appears in rof editor. In game only the "building" object appears.

#43 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 30 September 2013 - 16:54

Very nice work sir!IDK,but the models look squared.

#44 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 30 September 2013 - 17:43

If your object is of type block then use the material "building". If it's artillery or vehicle then use "specular". That's all I know. ( and "glass" as separate object in vehicles / ships ).

#45 Genius

Genius

Posted 01 October 2013 - 22:21

Re,

Thanks it's working with specular Material.

Just a rapid test (with copy of platform a7v luascript).

All the carriage move :P

I have to adjust:

- Wrong direction of the object (rear/front)
- i don't know if i can have 3 pivot point in the same object because actually my whole objects (2 wagons+ train gun) "rocking" over bumps. If not, i think i will do 3 separate objects in game.
- luascripts to adjust

Edit: OK
LengthBetweenCenterAndBack = 2.75 => 12.90
LengthBetweenCenterAndFront = 2.75 => 13.60
LengthBack = 5.31 => 12.90
LengthFront = 5.31 => 13.60

Need to adjust the X position of the pivot point not in 0 position

#46 Branwell

Branwell

Posted 01 October 2013 - 22:31

Looks great! :)

#47 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 01 October 2013 - 23:00

Can't wait to see it with its skin. :S!:

#48 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:41

Looks super! Bravo!

#49 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 02 October 2013 - 13:13

wow, nice.

I can´t wait to betatest and land on that thing..

#50 LordNeuro_Srb

LordNeuro_Srb
  • LocationNovi Sad/Serbia

Posted 02 October 2013 - 18:57

Genius u r doing a gr8 job, it would be a wery nice adition in rof. And in ur last post i cannt see pictures, but i m hoping it is all going well.
thx for u effort and contribution to rof
:S!:

#51 AceSaturn

AceSaturn
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 October 2013 - 18:58

This is something we all need in rise of flight, man you are a genius! no pun intended ;)

#52 Genius

Genius

Posted 02 October 2013 - 23:05

Thanks guys for your support. :P

Yes some image links are broken (i correct this later).

Next step:

* adjust all models and lua for test in game
* LOD models

#53 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:21

Great progress Genius!

So you are making several big guns, sharing one texture? That would be awesome! We can really use them in the missions.

#54 Genius

Genius

Posted 03 October 2013 - 20:42

Re,

Image links are repair.

@Syn_Vander: yes one share texture for all models and i have free space for other models (eventually one day a french howitzer 155C or a german sFH13 ??). See Uv-map on previous message #41: riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=568284#p568284

#55 Genius

Genius

Posted 07 October 2013 - 21:08

Hi,

Finally, i made only one object for the 305mm slide gun. In effect, create two additional objects are harder to manage (more files, lua, etc..). In addition, I don't want to see the central object floating in the air if one of the other two objects is destroyed.

I begin the LOD object of 305mm train. I made 4 LOD object from 700 polygons to 3000 polygons. I don't know if it complies with the limitations desired by developers (the limit is known only to the buildings?).

LOD 0 : 2918 tri

LOD 1 : 2252 tri

LOD 2 : 1482 tri

LOD 3: 700 tri

Some adjust in lua and model files:

#56 JG1Baron_J6

JG1Baron_J6

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:03

very nice

lZOFjj.jpg

RIKzxM.jpg

#57 Genius

Genius

Posted 23 October 2013 - 21:39

Hi all,

If somebody want to help in texturing is welcome.

I can provide for this:
1) the file containing the object in "beta test" into our favorite simulation
2) the uv map in TGA or other
3) A large number of pictures with more or less good quality collected on the web

Bye

Genius

Edit:

Make LOD of 190mm TAZ:

LOD 0 = 1574 tri

LOD 1 = 944 tri

LOD 2 = 580 tri

#58 Genius

Genius

Posted 25 October 2013 - 22:04

Another LOD Works.

The 380mm SK L/45 on a "Bettungsschiessgerüst"

LOD 0 : 1234 tri

LOD 1 : 710 tri

LOD 2 : 404 tri

The BL 6 inch canon

LOD 1: 1463 tri

LOD 2 : 937 tri

LOD 3 : 482 tri

#59 Genius

Genius

Posted 26 October 2013 - 23:42

Finish LOD

The SK/L 45 on a train

LOD 0 : 3046 tri

LOD 1 : 1940 tri

LOD 2 : 1275 tri

LOD 3 : 634 tri

And the SK/L 45 on train/fixed

LOD 0 : 1412 tri

LOD 1 : 730 tri

LOD 2: 430 tri

LOD 3 : 351 tri

#60 Oscar17

Oscar17

Posted 31 March 2014 - 17:22

Genius, is there a possibility we could see these (working) artillery pieces as in game objects before the end of Summer 2014? I know it's asking a lot, but we could sure use them.

#61 Genius

Genius

Posted 01 April 2014 - 22:39

Genius, is there a possibility we could see these (working) artillery pieces as in game objects before the end of Summer 2014? I know it's asking a lot, but we could sure use them.

Hi,

I want to finish my forts mod and other buildings before (it's only need to finish texturing - work in progress by Dubya and an another artist began to help me).

After, I will need help for texturing heavy artillery because by not finalizing from the beginning 3d model and texture I made ​​some mistakes on my previous models.

Maybe I'd do some test texture on a simple model (BL 6 inch gun for example) but I can not guarantee the result. My previous test on shed really been inconclusive, see below:

Clone painting (only use of real picture):

my test:

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Bye
Genius

#62 Genius

Genius

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:09

Hi some news:

Re-Working on my railway artillery mod.

I try to made the texture (I am unfortunately not very talented) and working on luascripts and animations.

With the help of elSicario/1PL_Pedro my train can fire (a BIGGGGG thanks to him :S!: )

Some screens:

To do list:
- Adjust camouflage texture
- Adjust carriage position
- Make texture damaged
- Make damaged model
- Make LOD model
- Adjust sound
- Make a big smoke animation like this
Image Image

Already done:
- LOD0 undamaged
- Gun luascripts and attack animation
- Train luascripts (just to adjust carriage position)
- move animation
- Ballistic / explosion luascripts (maximum range 30/35 km - increase damage radius)

I have a litle problem with the editor and carriage train. My train carriage does not follow the path set in the editor but is in the opposite direction.

Bye

#63 Flashy

Flashy
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 12 July 2014 - 13:20

Hi some news:

I have a litle problem with the editor and carriage train. My train carriage does not follow the path set in the editor but is in the opposite direction.

Bye

Hi,

Try moving the train carriage out of the radius of the first waypoint before the waypoint is triggered.

Just because I can give multiple orgasms to the furniture just by sitting on it, doesn't mean that I'm not sick of this damn war: the blood, the noise, the endless poetry...

#64 Genius

Genius

Posted 12 July 2014 - 17:27

Thanks That's it !

#65 J5_Rumey

J5_Rumey

Posted 12 July 2014 - 20:20

Very nice stuff this.

#66 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 13 July 2014 - 14:29

great work! way to go, that is really something

#67 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 13 July 2014 - 16:47

This gun would be worth bombing with a heavy payload :D :x Beautiful!
"There will be honor enough for us all."

#68 Genius

Genius

Posted 13 July 2014 - 20:06

Hi,

litle update

Already done:
- LOD0/LOD1/LOD2/LOD3 undamaged
- Gun luascripts and attack animation
- Train luascripts (just to adjust carriage position)
- move animation
- Ballistic / explosion luascripts (maximum range 30/35 km - increase damage radius)
- Adjust carriage position
- Adjust sound
- Make a big smoke animation (thanks elSicario/1PL_Pedro :) )

To do list:
- Adjust camouflage texture
- Make texture damaged
- Make damaged model
- Make LOD model for damaged

Some pictures dor fire animation:

#69 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:50

looking good! Can you share the files for the firing effect? I could usse that one for the tirpitz guns as well!

The texture does look a bit cut-off though….

#70 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:49

not really important, but i think I just noticed 2 small things: the wheelbases seem a tiny bit too large and touching in the ground and the "roof" isn´t a roof but a crane for loading the heavy shells which doesn´t spann the entire width of the carriage. I think that would also mean, that the reloading can only be done with lowered barrel, like on old battleships and the barrel as to be raised again for every shot (hint for firing animation)

#71 Genius

Genius

Posted 14 July 2014 - 14:57

Hi,

the wheelbases seem a tiny bit too large and touching in the ground

On normal position, wheels are ok like other train (wheels on other train are also a bit to low). In "attack position" the railway artillery was at lowered position to simulate (Ok is not perfect :mrgreen: ) specific recoil brake (woods brake on specific track arrangement for "glissement" type of railways mount)

Normal/default position:

"Attack position"

the "roof" isn´t a roof but a crane for loading the heavy shells which doesn´t spann the entire width of the carriage

Yes you have right, but it's not only a crane, it's also a roof (ok it's not exactly the same as the real model, less polygons).

I think that would also mean, that the reloading can only be done with lowered barrel, like on old battleships and the barrel as to be raised again for every shot (hint for firing animation)

Yes, i try to do it but i did not succeed, if i use rotation animation for two argument (like 241 for pitch animation and 61 for attack animation), my gun use current position on pitch animation to begin rotation on attack animation and the result is not correct.

Looking good! Can you share the files for the firing effect? I could usse that one for the tirpitz guns as well!

Yes for sure ! The trick was given to me by 1PL_Pedro :S!: ;)

I have separate my fire animation and my smoke animation:

Fire animation (argument number: 64100)
Material: Blend Angle
Frame 0 = No visual
Frame 1 to 4 = visual effect 1
Frame 5 to 8 = visual effect 2
Frame 9 to 12 = visual effect 3
Frame 13 to 16 = visual effect 4

Smoke animation
Fire animation (argument number: 61 to use a longer frame animation but you can use 64100)
Material: Blend Angle
Frame 0 = No visual
Frame 1 to 2 = visual effect 1
Frame 3 to 5 = visual effect 2
Frame 6 to 7 = visual effect 3
Frame 8 to 9 = visual effect 4

The 3ds max files and dds file here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7tXcacWGhIxMDVpTkJ0TDNNblU/edit?usp=sharing

The texture does look a bit cut-off though…

Yes i know, but i'm not very talented on this….(any help would be welcome) :oops:

Bye

Genius

#72 Timmaaa2945z

Timmaaa2945z

Posted 14 July 2014 - 15:58

These look really great Genius!! Nice job with the texture mapping! Looks really clean!! :S!:

Keep it up!

#73 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 14 July 2014 - 16:38

The 3ds max files and dds file here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7tXcacWGhIxMDVpTkJ0TDNNblU/edit?usp=sharing

The texture does look a bit cut-off though…

Yes i know, but i'm not very talented on this….(any help would be welcome) :oops:

Bye

Genius

Thanks!

I looked at the 3d object. The cut-off is simply UV coordinates that needs to be adjusted on some faces.

#74 Genius

Genius

Posted 14 July 2014 - 17:36

Thanks!

I looked at the 3d object. The cut-off is simply UV coordinates that needs to be adjusted on some faces.

You're welcome ;) (it's a just return)

Can you explain for uv coordinates ? , i don't understand where is the problem.

Trying a new camo version like this real model:

Wip:

For the color, i found this: www.chars-francais.net/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=637&Itemid=74

Le bariolage par taches de tons divers fait son apparition en 1915. Un texte de mars 1917 précise "badigeon de couleurs mates de teinte ocre, vert et noir, de façon à rompre la régularité des surfaces" . Les taches sont fréquemment délimitées par des cernes noires. Les lignes séparatives sont brisées. Une pièce croquée en 1916 figure un mortier camouflé de 4 couleurs : terre de Sienne, vert foncé, ocre jaune, noir (avec, en sus, probablement, le gris d'origine). Ces dispositions touchent toute l'artillerie française des plus grosses pièces (ALVF) aux canons de campagne. Elles concernent aussi les tracteurs et les caissons d'artillerie. Évidemment, elles influencent les chars d'assaut qui font partie de cette Arme.

The motley spots by various shades made ​​its appearance in 1915. March 1917 A text says "whitewash matt colors color ocher, green and black, so as to break the regularity of surfaces." The spots are often bounded by dark circles. The separating lines are broken. A piece bitten in 1916 Figure mortar camouflaged 4 colors: sienna, dark green, yellow ocher, black (with, in addition, probably, the original gray). These provisions affect all French artillery larger pieces (ALVF) for field guns. They involve tractors and artillery caissons. Obviously, they influence the tanks that are part of this weapon.

And this: www.checksix-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=148775 but is a 1939-40 color camo (i use the gris bleu, kaki mat and terre de sienne)

#75 Genius

Genius

Posted 17 July 2014 - 22:39

Hi,

new color version (like renault ft-17 camo:

WIP:

Bye
Genius

#76 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:04

This gun looks great, excellent work! The FT-17 camo looks much better.
Just make it dirty and rusty in places and you are golden! :D

Texturing gets easier (and more fun) with practice. Perhaps you know already, but make sure you add highlights and shadows to the texture, do not rely on the in-game light to do this for you. But be subtle and don't use black but a slight gray tone of the colour in the shadow. The Photoshop shadow effects (drop shadow, outer and inner glow, et cetera) are really useful and can be adjusted for shadow colour, transparency, distance cast…

Add bare metal at constant use wear points, paint chipping, rust drips, oil grime, and other stains in separate layers in your photo editing program. That way you can adjust transparency of each independently if the 'look' is too strong. It doesn't need much, but will look great!

If I may provide constructive critique. Look closely below, I really like the shadows you added to the handles painted on the side, but they might be too subtle, try a more bold shadow and see what it looks like. Are those shadows above the 'steps' on the sides (yellow arrows)? Perhaps you haven't painted to the edge of the texture map (red arrows), and this dark 'outline' catches the eye as abnormal. These outlines are still there with the camo texture.

#77 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:25

Very nice!!
Two observations regarding the texture.
The "yellow" looks abit too bright.
For the black borders better use a dark grey not full black.

#78 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:48

Thanks for the sample files Genius. The Tirpitz guns now also have a proper gun flash!

Attached File  tirpitz_flash.jpg   199.75KB   424 downloads

#79 Genius

Genius

Posted 19 July 2014 - 19:05

Hi all,

@_Bandy & @_Paf, thanks for your constructive criticism, i will try to do modification.

Are those shadows above the 'steps' on the sides (yellow arrows)?
It's the ambiant occlusion layer, i use OA from blender to simulate a little shadows on rof.

The red arrows is meant to represent the side of the metal plate of the adjacent face but it is true that it is a little "rough". I will try with other color (like gray recommanded by _Paf) /transparancy layer.

@_Paf, I will modify yellow color.

@_Vander: Cool ! Do you see, like me, fire effect on rof editor ? It's a little strange, but not a big problem.

Bye

Genius

#80 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 19 July 2014 - 21:28

@_Vander: Cool ! Do you see, like me, fire effect on rof editor ? It's a little strange, but not a big problem.

Yes, that screenshot is from the editor :). The only problems I see:

-You can only see the flash from certain angles because of the material used (blendangle). I think it should be used for the moving propellor disc. I think material transparent should be used, but the texture's alpha layers are not correctly set up for that?
-At night, the fire texture does not light up. I kept the dummy object that provides at least a flash at night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users