Some 3d mod questions - Generic and 3DSMax 8 use

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Genius

Genius

Posted 24 July 2013 - 17:31

Hello,

I have some question (i don't found answer on the web):

- there is a solution to limit the number of polygons of a weel (car, train, ), for example a plane with one fix texture and one move texture.

- How is realized the weels of stock trains?

- how to do vehicles mod? There are a sdk manual ?

Thanks

#2 Genius

Genius

Posted 28 July 2013 - 23:10

Rof use normal map or no ? If yes, can i use this to limit polygons and simulate the weels with a plane ?

#3 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:44

Hello,

- there is a solution to limit the number of polygons of a weel (car, train, ), for example a plane with one fix texture and one move texture.

Thanks

Hi Genius,

I don't know everything that is possible, but I have been editing/ creating vehicles in RoF.

I don't know of a texture transition for vehicles. But since it is possible for props on aircraft, maybe it is possible somehow.
Wheels are normally modeled in 3d. To save polygons, you can only model the rim of a wheel and use a square polygon with alpha texture for the spokes in a wheel. This is how it's done for RoF vehicles.

There is no sdk for vehicles. I'm working on an SDK for ships and there are some similarities. I'll try to publish this soon and maybe make one for vehicles as well. The most important thing is how to make the animations of the wheels, steering wheel etc. in 3dsmax.

I don't know of a normal map for vehicles, but maybe I'm wrong?

#4 Genius

Genius

Posted 29 July 2013 - 14:12

Hello,

Thanks

Hi Genius,

I don't know everything that is possible, but I have been editing/ creating vehicles in RoF.

I don't know of a texture transition for vehicles. But since it is possible for props on aircraft, maybe it is possible somehow.
Wheels are normally modeled in 3d. To save polygons, you can only model the rim of a wheel and use a square polygon with alpha texture for the spokes in a wheel. This is how it's done for RoF vehicles.

There is no sdk for vehicles. I'm working on an SDK for ships and there are some similarities. I'll try to publish this soon and maybe make one for vehicles as well. The most important thing is how to make the animations of the wheels, steering wheel etc. in 3dsmax.

I don't know of a normal map for vehicles, but maybe I'm wrong?

Hi, thanks for your help.

I'd love to get your feedback on the modeling of vehicles in a future tutorials

:S!:

#5 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 30 July 2013 - 17:21

Only aircraft currently use normal maps in ROF.

I think you will rather run into problems with the texture size than having to cut polygons, especially if you use twice as much space for your wheels. Also animation will get a lot more complicated if you have two sets of wheels.

Also I am not sure it will be possible to make wheels visible and invisible based on movement - the game does do this with the damage model but it has the mechanism in place exactly for this scenario.

#6 Genius

Genius

Posted 31 July 2013 - 20:57

Re,

Thanks.

I will do weels with a square plane and one cylinder without circle face (cf Syn-Vander post).

#7 Genius

Genius

Posted 12 October 2013 - 21:18

Hi,

In Ship sdk of Syn_Vander, i see

Rise of Flight support several animations modes. The animations are based on an argument,defined in the config file. Typically the arguments are defined for:

forward motion (rotate wheels, rotate propellor of a ship)
steering motion (steer wheels or rudder of a ship)
combat readiness animation (open doors etc.)
elevate gun turret
rotate gun turret
recoil action gun

See the sample max file to see how the animation is defined. In this case the movement of the flag that rotates on two axis, based on the forward motion of the ship.

myship.txt // the config file of the ship including physics

But i see nothing in config file for the flag ?

:xx:

Edit: I think is an ArgBased Rotation problem (in 3DS Max) but I don't understand how it's work in that case ??

#8 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 16 October 2013 - 21:46

Hi Genius, I'll try to upload my 3dsmax file of the drifter tomorrow. That should clear things up a bit. Also, it's possible to copy the animations ( such as arg based rotation) from one object to the other, so you can use the drifter parts as base.

#9 Genius

Genius

Posted 17 October 2013 - 18:40

Thank you for your help ! :) :S!:

#10 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:02

Finally got around in creating that package!

Here it is:

Attached File  Drifter project_3dsmax.zip   824.23KB   62 downloads

Attached File  Drifter project_textures.zip   1.86MB   51 downloads

#11 Genius

Genius

Posted 20 October 2013 - 23:25

Hi, thanks !

I see with the luascript, your files and other files that:
- visibility was controled by Argnumber defined in "DestructArg = XX" line (I see 761 and 281 number)
- firing gun argument was controled by Argnumber defined in "FireArgumentNum = XX" line (I see 64000 to 64101 number)

Edit:
elevate gun turret => Argnumber is 241 (defined in "YawArgNum")
rotate gun turret => Argnumber is 221 (defined in "PitchArgNum")

One doubt:
combat readiness animation (open doors etc.) => is the line defined in "AttackAnimationArgNum = 61" ?

For other arguments, i don't see lines in lua. It is common for all vehicles/objects ?

forward motion (rotate wheels, rotate propellor of a ship) => Argnumber is 701
steering motion (steer wheels or rudder of a ship) => Argnumber is 721
recoil action gun => is the "FireArgumentNum = XX" argument ??

Finally, I get an error on export: "WARNING: animations: no default animation records found in 'defargs.txt'"
In SDK: "File defargs.txt is damaged or contains bad data. This may lead to incorrect rendering in game. You should reinstall Gennadich Tools plug-in."

I reinstall the plugins but i have the same error. I don't have a defargs.txt files it is normal (not on sdk files package http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=393&t=31847) ???

Again thank you :S!:

Bye

Genius

#12 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:49

Hi, thanks !

I see with the luascript, your files and other files that:
- visibility was controled by Argnumber defined in "DestructArg = XX" line (I see 761 and 281 number)
- firing gun argument was controled by Argnumber defined in "FireArgumentNum = XX" line (I see 64000 to 64101 number)

One doubt:
combat readiness animation (open doors etc.) => is the line defined in "AttackAnimationArgNum = 61" ?

For other arguments, i don't see lines in lua. It is common for all vehicles/objects ?

forward motion (rotate wheels, rotate propellor of a ship) => Argnumber is 701
steering motion (steer wheels or rudder of a ship) => Argnumber is 721
elevate gun turret => Argnumber is 241
rotate gun turret => Argnumber is 221
recoil action gun => is the "FireArgumentNum = XX" argument ??

Finally, I get an error on export: "WARNING: animations: no default animation records found in 'defargs.txt'"
In SDK: "File defargs.txt is damaged or contains bad data. This may lead to incorrect rendering in game. You should reinstall Gennadich Tools plug-in."

I reinstall the plugins but i have the same error. I don't have a defargs.txt files it is normal (not on sdk files package http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=393&t=31847) ???

Again thank you :S!:

Bye

Genius

Yes, a number of these arg values seem to be pre-defined (or defined elsewhere). Forward motion (701), steering (721) seem to be the same for boats, vehicles, tanks etc.

Yes, I think so. Example: The German AAA truck will open it's side doors before starting to fire.

I will try to find the argument for the recoil action.

The animations warning I also get, but I have just ignored it. Seems to work just fine with the warning.

#13 Genius

Genius

Posted 08 June 2014 - 16:24

Hi,

Anybody know the animation argument number for plane object (yaw, pitch,etc..) ?

Thanks

Genius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users