Photo
- - - - -

Got me a new set of brilliant pedals - MFG Crosswind

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 hq_Peter_Zvan

hq_Peter_Zvan

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:07

Some might know that I love great flight sim equipement and have gone to great lenghts to get the most out of it. This included 6 different joysticks (Logitech Attack3, Logitech 3d Pro, T16000, fighterstick, FFB2, warthog)and 2 sets of pedals (Simpeds and Saitek Combat pedals).
As I never was totaly happy I went into modding and modded the simpeds and the fighterstick with a leo bodnar high precision controler to get the most out of it all.
Howeve I never was totaly happy with the simpeds as they are quite weak structually and even with the mod they lack some precision (mostly due to the mechanical deficiency)

So when I got word of new pedals being created I immidiatly went for it.
Below the thread of the pedals.
http://simhq.com/for...1_p#Post3807335" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://simhq.com/for...bbthreads.php/t … ost3807335
As soon as I saw the mechanical details and the electronics details I knew I need to get them - especially for the excelent price for what the pedals offer. So I got in contact with the creator (Milan - a great guy) and begged him to make me a set ASAp as I wanted to try them before I am shipped off to China again in August.
Sure enough 1 week later I got them - supposably set #2 and the first sold set.
And they didnt dissapoint one bit.
I assembeled them, adjusted the bits and bobs, calibrated them following the correct procedure and I was off. Absolutly no issues whatsoever from the word go.
I did play with the main spring settings for a day to get my preffered feel and today I had a brilliant night flying.
Basicly my accuracy jumped by more than 10% from the days before when I was still using my modded simpeds. And its wasnt only that - the best part is that the flying got much smoother and I can pinpoint the target much more accuratly.
I recorded a few tracks and I am adding the one with 7 kills in 1 sortie on wargrounds tonight just a few hours ago. Next sortie was even better - 6 kills, 43% accuracy with Spad 13, but sadly I didnt take a track.
Below some of the screens from tonight - they speek for themselves I think.
https://dl.dropboxus...G Crosswind.rar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://dl.dropboxus...ntent.com/u/328 … sswind.rar

Anyway - the reason I am posting this is because I have been searching for good pedals since a long time and was dissapointed all the way. Sadly I couldnt get the VKBS and the rest is just not even close to what I consider good.
The Saitek combat pedals were a huge dissapointement with the friction and the play in the mechanism and the simpeds are not accurate in stock form (bad resolution and deadzone in the middle of about 1 degree). And if modified they just dont hold up mechanicly - because the main spar over the sensor has minimal bearings it has play while one pushes and this adds some degrees on the sensor (the distance from the magnet ot the hall sensor moves).

The Crosswind pedals have none of that - they are extremly stable and have no play at all.
Additionaly the sensors have a much much higher resolution and better electronics so everything is working as it should.
I must say that I am very plesantly suprised by them and considering that I am still getting used to them the results show just how good they are.
So if you are in a market for some good pedals - I can only suggest that you go for them - IMO they are almost the best pedals you can get for a resonable price.
Now I just have to get a stick that is on the same level.

#2 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:13

I made a pre-order as soon as the first Prototype showed up. It mainly was that every aspect of the pedals can be adjusted to own preference,like the strength of the spring and the angle of the Footrests,it's even planed that different Footrests will be produced or someone who wants can make his own. And of course the design, the mechanical and electronic part was appealing aswell.

I own a set of Simpeds and although they where a step up from the Saitek pedals I never was satisfied with the ergonomics. I made my own Footrests for the Simpeds and now I'm more comfortable using them. But the precision is not better or worse than the Saitek ones. Simpeds got a Deadzone in the Center,so when I move them to the left they start at 5% deflection,to the right it's 3% deflection. It's very noticable in Planes with a sensitive rudder like the Spad 7,my aim jumps all over the place.

Hardly can wait until the mid of August when my set will hopefully arrive.

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#3 meanstreak-2

meanstreak-2

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:52

Nice results Peter. I'm glad you're happy.

I am Milan, and I'm right here with you…my nick is "meanstreak" and some of you might flew against me too.

Jason approwed me to make official thread here, but I wait until my website is up.
In a meanwhile, if anyone have questions about pedals can contact me on PM or mfg@simundza.com
One thing I need to note, I don't have simpeds or any other pedals to make comparison and I will not be involved in that sort of disscusions here…for that you can ask Peter or other owners.

regards
Milan

#4 J5_Vorlander

J5_Vorlander

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:49

Thx peter and Milan

Ordered. :D

#5 piecost

piecost

Posted 23 July 2013 - 21:49

I've just ordered a pair!

They look perfect and should solve all the problems I have been having with my existing pedals. My Simpeds are mechanically failing and have lots of slop. They loose the center when applying full right rudder. I also dislike the large bump around zero deflection.

#6 meanstreak-2

meanstreak-2

Posted 26 July 2013 - 18:35

Website is up and running

mfg.simundza.com

gallery is still missing and it will be online in 3-4 days

production is on schedule, and preorders still available

cheers
Milan

#7 wrong_name_1242

wrong_name_1242

Posted 27 July 2013 - 15:58

Referencing the SimHQ build and development thread.

I'd like to present a Warthog among rudder pedals:

Review/comparison of the two high end, custom made rudder pedals. Recorded with a smart phone, please excuse the shaking and occasional stuttering.

Visit MilanFlightGear website for more details: mfg.simundza.com

[01:22] Simped F16/USB
[04:58] MFG Crosswind
[09:44] PROS over Simped F16/USB
[12:14] CONS vs Simped and in general
[14:16] DCS, ROF & IL2 Impressions
[16:12] SUMMARY

A couple of things I would like to mention:

Inability to adjust pedal width without ordering an extra plate really isn't a con (no pedals have that option), the better headline would be a WISH LIST. Coupled with that are the remarks about toe brakes - an icing on the cake would be a progressive spring here IMO. And last but not least, about the rudder use during takeoff in DCS: P-51D you can see in the video. It is a technique I saw watching this YT video: On Board Mustang Sally. For more information what actually happens during takeoff in a P-51D, you can read comments from a '51 pilot commenting on A2A's P-51D: P-51 tips from a real pilot .

#8 J5_Vorlander

J5_Vorlander

Posted 27 July 2013 - 19:36

Hi Thor,

Thanx for a great review.

#9 piecost

piecost

Posted 27 July 2013 - 23:04

Thanks for the comprehensive review. I have ordered a pair and this has confirmed my decision.

#10 Rivet

Rivet

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:04

I already ordered mine but great review.

#11 meanstreak-2

meanstreak-2

Posted 28 July 2013 - 19:21

Depending on the number of orders. I intend to have product in stock, but I can have only limited quantity due to financial reasons, at the moment. So If I get too much orders at the short time then I might end up "out of stock" for short periods.

My prediction is that "out of stock" periods 1-2 weeks long will happen a few times untill I "get a grip" on quantity community need.

UPDATE :
3x pedals still available for preorder.

After those 3x sold I will close preorder process for a short period.

Plan is :
1. To get preordered pedals shipped
2. Get response from buyers ( which cam they like, is packing sufficient, possible hidden obstacles in import procedure for outside EU…etc)
3. Recive money from paypal…check for any hidden costs there
4. Open website for sales again…from stock

I give you following dates for this "startup checklist"

preordered pedals will be shipped 10-15.08.2013.
In stock and free to buy from 05-15.09.2013 (estimated)

#12 meanstreak-2

meanstreak-2

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:46

1x pedals still available for preorder.

#13 Armincles

Armincles

Posted 29 July 2013 - 13:16

How much are they .We only order through Simundza.com? Thats in a language I dont understand.
Got some old worn out Saiteks that may need replacing.

#14 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 29 July 2013 - 13:34

The Website is found here http://mfg.simundza.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://mfg.simundza.com/ and a bit more infos can be found here too http://simhq.com/for...opics/3782056/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://simhq.com/for...opics/3782056/1

#15 meanstreak-2

meanstreak-2

Posted 29 July 2013 - 14:18

thx pirato :-)

#16 Foxmike44

Foxmike44

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:49

Hi Milan, Thor, and Hi Pirato !
I'm Henkel,
I've financial difficulties today, but as soon as i would have solved them (certainly before the end of year), i will order these wonderful rudders.
Congratulations for your work, and a Great thank you for the rebirth you are giving us with this device.
I didn't believe it could have existed.
Furthermore built by a real pilot, who is also a glider pilot !
See you, and congrats again.

#17 meanstreak-2

meanstreak-2

Posted 29 July 2013 - 18:05

Thanks on support Foxmike44. Your comment mean a lot in terms to plan quantity for production better.
I am not certified glider pilot…only PPL. I flew in gliders in my early days and I still fly sometime, I hope not to be misunderstood.

#18 Foxmike44

Foxmike44

Posted 29 July 2013 - 18:57

No problem Milan, :)
I'm not so good at english, but you know gliders even if you're not certificate, and you know the real rules of flight… nothing else than gliders to learn to fly. And rudders are indispensable in a glider.
Good luck for your first productions and shipments.
See you :S!:

#19 meanstreak-2

meanstreak-2

Posted 29 July 2013 - 19:11

Yep…we had a debate lately among pilots. Result show that there is a real difference between PPL pilots who flew gliders and ones that did not. Difference if in fine use of commands as well as forward thinking about altitude - making right decisions there - on time. As far as I know this opinion is also shared among PPL Examiners in CRO.

#20 meanstreak-2

meanstreak-2

Posted 29 July 2013 - 22:11

Announcment !!!!

Preordering process is concluded. I follow the plan now, get those shipped ASAP and reopen webshop cca 05-15.09.

I can announce that pedals will have serial numbering - engraved !!!

I didn't announce it before as I wanted to make first supporters proud. I understand their orders was a bit risky since it is not something they buy off the shelf, and all future buyers will have their experiences with me and it will be easier to thrust me :-)

So once again

Thanks to all buyers for thrusting me.
Thanks to all forum members for helping me, I will put those names on my website !
Thanks to members of Croatian Virtual Regiment Phoenix VARP, and all their friend for testing
SPECIAL THANKS TO DBSThor !!! For making such quality review, as far as I know noone did a truly Simpeds video review before. It's obvious he put a lot of effort in it.
Thank to all kind people for spreading the good news around the globe

SPECIAL THANKS to ROF pilot Peter Zvan, my first buyer, as he was the first to take a leap of faith :-)
Forgive me if I forgot to mention someone here. Your support and thrust made me push harder to make a great product for us all.

Milan

#21 N28_Uberplane

N28_Uberplane

Posted 29 July 2013 - 22:27

Milan, when will the second batch be ready for order?!

Formerly known as "=IRFC=Artun"

#22 =J99=Sizzlorr

=J99=Sizzlorr

Posted 30 July 2013 - 00:27

Yeah congrats on your pedals and your successful sales etc.
But seriously what were you thinking engineering a device which makes Peter Zvan even more accurate? :x

Just kidding :lol: keep up your good work :S!:

I never used pedals but i maybe intend to. So i go with Artuns questions…when..?

yedwwtfx.gif

#23 meanstreak-2

meanstreak-2

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:35

I give you copy paste from my SimHQ…

Plan is :
1. To get preordered pedals shipped
2. Get response from buyers ( which cam they like, is packing sufficient, possible hidden obstacles in import procedure for outside EU…etc)
3. Recive money from paypal…check for any hidden costs there
4. Open website for sales again…from stock

I give you following dates for this "startup checklist"

preordered pedals will be shipped 10-15.08.2013.
In stock and free to buy from 05-15.09.2013 (estimated)

#24 J5_Vorlander

J5_Vorlander

Posted 30 July 2013 - 16:11

Hi Gents,

In Thor's review he uses a program called "Target device analyzer"

does anybody have the link to this program for download?

thanking you

#25 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 30 July 2013 - 16:36

I think it's included in the Thrustmaster T.A.R.G.E.T Software. It can be started from the TARGET Script Editor GUI.
http://ts.thrustmast...3&pid=311&cid=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://ts.thrustmast...om/eng/index.ph … =311&cid=5

#26 wrong_name_1242

wrong_name_1242

Posted 30 July 2013 - 16:39

Hi Gents,

In Thor's review he uses a program called "Target device analyzer"

does anybody have the link to this program for download?

thanking you

This is a Thrustmaster's program, that is best used with Warthog and other TM hardware. With that said, it can be used to merge several controllers into one (useful for older simulators like IL2 1946). And you can use it to analyze any controllers resolution.

Get it here (free):

http://ts.thrustmast...3&pid=311&cid=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://ts.thrustmast...om/eng/index.ph … =311&cid=5

The Device Analyzer can be found under Script Editor.

#27 J5_Vorlander

J5_Vorlander

Posted 30 July 2013 - 16:50

A' Thanx gents

#28 meanstreak-2

meanstreak-2

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:39

I've made a small FAQ…so here it is

When will pedals be available?

Pedals should be in stock and free to buy from 5-15.09.2013

Do you take preorders ?

I will not accept payments untill I know exact date of shipping. However You can send me your order intention so I plan my production better. Sending order intention does not obligate you to buy !

What's the price ?

- 262 eur + shipping if you pay with Paypal. For bank transfer and western union you are granted discount of 4,5 % on total amount - but money transfer expenses are buyers obligation. This is due to Paypal transfer fees.
- I have the right to change the price at any time !!!. I think I can keep this price, but I will know for shure only after I produce few small batches and see if I calculate production costs right :-)

Warranty ?

- I give my personal 2 year limited warranty. Limited means that I will send spare parts and customer duty is to replace possible damaged parts. Warranty claims need to be sent with photos or videos of the problem - so I can grant warranty. Warranty does not include mechanical damage caused by excessive force of over 40 kg of pressure on pedals…and similar excessive abuse of the product, electrical discharge on the USB electronics.
- I am obligated to provide spare parts for at least 5 years. If I stop production and can not longer provide spare parts I here obligate to publish my complete project so others can build spare parts too.

Other type of foot plates ?
Right now my priority is to start production with Luftwaffe style foot plates. Combat style (F-16/ Boeing) are in development but will not be available in 2013. There are some style discussion about those and need to go thru testing phase, that's why.
So, in the future, pedals will be available to buy with different foot plate style 100 % shure…Customer will be able to buy different style separately or to buy extra foot plates when buying pedals.

Grey or other colors ?
Pedals will ship in white/black color untill further notice. Explained : I think I would like my pedals in grey/black too. But to do that I need to order material in large quantity. Right now it's a problem since I don't know how much community need, and I don't have enough money for such investment. I will make a survey on my website so potential buyers can express their opinion and liking based on photoshop coloring of pedals. Then I will decide what color to use based on most user opinions.

Additional CAM centering profiles ?
First 10x buyers will recive 3x cam profiles. Their obligation is to make an opinion which 2 out of 3 are best. Future customers will get 2x cam profiles standard.
In future I will most likely develop more CAM profiles, depending if it is necessary or not.
Extra cam profiles will be possible to purchase with pedals, like an addon…or existing buyers will be able to buy separately.

Price of extra foot plates and cam profiles ?
This price I don't know yet. It's only speculation that CAM profile should cost cca 10 eur, foot plates I will try to produce in 30-40 eur price range for a set.

What if I don't like your predicted spring behavior ?
Spring mechanisam is designed in a way that every customer can get his own spring made. It can me smaller or bigger diameter, and shorter than original spring….extremely easy to exchange original spring with custom made one…or some standard off the shelf spring.

Additional width adjustment plate ?
I will publish my design and dimensions of such plate. Customer can make his own easy.
If there are enought inquiries for such plate I will make it possible to buy as a spare part.

I saw you noted that cable for brakes might give up after 5-10 years. What did you do about that ?
I have modified my design to make shure cables last as much as possible. Other than that I made shure that cables are easy to replace by customer. When, and If there will be a need for such replacment there will be spare set of braking cable available. It will be with connectors and Hall sensor - assembled set of cables…Predicted price for a set = 12 eur. Replacement will be 5 min job that 12 year old child can do, with a little help of quick glue and a screwdriver.

#29 Rivet

Rivet

Posted 30 August 2013 - 20:10

Although I've been playing flight sims for many years, I've never owned rudder pedals before because I couldn't find anything of a decent enough quality for a reasonable price. I have seen most of the commercially available offerings with the lid off so to speak, and while some may look ok externally, the internals looked quite flimsy. I was therefore stuck with twist sticks, rocker switches on some Hotas throttles, or rotary switches, all of which work to a degree but aren't ideal. Lately, I was even considering finding some components and building my own.

Then I found The MFG Crosswinds being developed by Milan Šimundža. They looked exactly what I wanted so I jumped at the pre-order when it became available. The links to the website, videos and specifications etc. have already been mentioned elsewhere so I won't bother here. I'll just give my opinion of the pedals.

In a word - Impressive.

My pedals arrived on Tuesday 27th August and they were very securely packed in styrofoam inside a sturdy cardboard box. On opening the box it was evident that these pedals are an extremely high quality product, genuinely made to last. The finish is predominately white with black trim which I think looks very striking. Mine are part of the first promotional production run and other colours, grey or black are planned to be available next year.

The performance of these pedals is truly awesome. The movement is smooth as silk and there is no wobble, play or "sticktion" to overcome anywhere. They are rock solid. The footplate spacing is wider than other pedals like CH Pro's, TM Elite, Saiteks and even Simpeds, making them very comfortable in use. I am still getting used to using rudder pedals in general, but the super smooth action and precision of the Crosswinds is simply amazing. I can honestly say that these excellent pedals have completely transformed my flying - for the better……………… much better.

If you are serious about your flight simming gear and want the best, or simply looking to replace your old pedals, you would be doing yourself a disservice not to consider the MFG Crosswinds. You will not find better at the price. I foresee many years of flight simming pleasure ahead.

Get them while they're hot. You won't regret it.

Milan is a super nice guy to deal with and stands by his product. You can buy with confidence.

:S!: :D

#30 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 31 August 2013 - 14:56

I'm using them for about a week now. The Pedals are excellent,the design and mechanics are well thought and Milan is always nice and helpful when having questions. I only can second what already has been said,get a set of these if you get the chance. They are sturdy and well built and certainly will outlast all my other stuff.

#31 J5_Vorlander

J5_Vorlander

Posted 02 September 2013 - 16:02

I received mine today.

Quality 100%
Build 100%
Precision 100%

These are the best

Thank you Milan.

Milan even made time to join me on TS to assist with calibrations

#32 1PL-Sahaj-1Esk

1PL-Sahaj-1Esk

Posted 02 September 2013 - 19:06

They look great indeed. If I would not have ordered my vkb pedals lately I would buy those from Milan definitely + Peter's review.

S!

kpt. pil. / Capt. Sahaj / Operations Officer / 1. Eskadra Mysliwska / 1. Pulk Lotniczy / http://www.1pl.boo.pl

bannerf11esks.png?raw=1

http://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com

#33 Moris

Moris

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:45

Thank U Milan, Peter and others for the reviews. Iam waiting my trackIR this days, I believe Milan's pedals will be next update ! Good to hear he can help for settings :D

:S!:

#34 meanstreak-2

meanstreak-2

Posted 06 September 2013 - 15:23

I closed 2nd preordering process and I put some news on my web so take a look for info.

Onfortunately I think some of my mail with preorder offer ended in spam filters becouse some interested people didn't respond at all. I did respond to all e-mails I recived.

P.S. gallery on website is up, still a bit buggy but working :-)

Funny, how my end of preordering - kind of a small kickstarter….ended the day DCS WW2 kickstarter started….and my delivery date of preordered pedals is the same as DCS WW2 kickstarter end. It ended that way when last pedal set was preordered….weird ha

#35 meanstreak-2

meanstreak-2

Posted 08 September 2013 - 15:43

Win a set of MFG Crosswind by supporting DCS WW2 kickstarter with 40$ or more !!!!!

It's not my initiative, it's from ATAG Bliss on ATAG forum…at least I'm not a part of it yet :-)

Here you'll find all info
http://theairtactica...read.php?t=5635" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://theairtactica...aultgroup.com/f … php?t=5635

And the DCS WW2 kickstarter site
http://www.kickstart...e-1944?ref=live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.kickstart...om/projects/508 … 4?ref=live

#36 meanstreak-2

meanstreak-2

Posted 09 September 2013 - 19:29

I've joined initiative by splitting expenses with ATAG Bliss.

I added a bit spice on top : Pedals will be one of a kind - custom engraved depending on winner's wish, name, squad name or similar.

P.S. Don't forget to support IL-2 BOS too !!! I think both deserve our help and attention.
I have my private preference already but I'll keep it to myself and support both becouse only time will tell which one I will enjoy more.

#37 N28_Uberplane

N28_Uberplane

Posted 09 September 2013 - 20:09

Milan, I will send you an email tonight regarding the pedals. When do you think the next batch will be ready? Because of sheer ignorance, I missed the second batch altogether and would definitely like an early wanting for the third. :D

#38 J5_Vorlander

J5_Vorlander

Posted 09 September 2013 - 21:35

Milan, I will send you an email tonight regarding the pedals. When do you think the next batch will be ready? Because of sheer ignorance, I missed the second batch altogether and would definitely like an early wanting for the third. :D

And u sure have a lot of it!

:lol:

#39 N28_Uberplane

N28_Uberplane

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:03

Thanks Vorly. ;)

#40 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 11 November 2013 - 20:58

Looking forward to mine :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic