Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Career Mode Feedback

• Please log in to reply
645 replies to this topic

#81 jeanba4

jeanba4

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:15

The thing about the French that can & does make things hard is so much of the info is only in French, and sometimes the info is not concisely laid out.
For the info in French, you can be sure that as soon as you ask a question, we, poor froggy will try as hard as possible to answer

Getting the French Strutter into the game will really, really help with resolving that. So, my plan going forward with adding French units will be adding AI units to flesh out the fighter squads, maybe adding another flyable bomber squad, and stuffing as many Strutter units into the game as possible.
You have the point why it is useless to play french or against the french before 1918.

#82 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:50

For the info in French, you can be sure that as soon as you ask a question, we, poor froggy will try as hard as possible to answer

And you guys have helped me out a lot so far, and for that I'm very grateful. :)

You have the point why it is useless to play french or against the french before 1918.

To a point, yes. Observation and bomber planes for the French right now are nonexistent before late 1917. The Strutter will do a lot to change that, for sure.

#83 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:18

Didn't read all the thread here, but Luke, do you plan to add more DH2 squadrons in career mode?
I found only 1 in Channel map, and only 1 in old map…

#84 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:33

Didn't read all the thread here, but Luke, do you plan to add more DH2 squadrons in career mode?
I found only 1 in Channel map, and only 1 in old map…

I do, but in looking things over, a lot of DH2 squads had already converted to other types by September 1916. I don't think I can add any more to the Channel map, but I think there's one or two I can add to the Western Front map.

#85 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:44

Cool then! :S!:

#86 Hvy_Cavalry_Sgt

Hvy_Cavalry_Sgt

Posted 11 September 2013 - 20:41

I accidentally rammed the wing of an Albatros that I had just shot down. I got lucky and the only damage was to the prop and engine so I made a forced landing many kilometers on the wrong side of the lines but not far from the airfield that I had just bombed and where the Albatros came from.

The next day I was back at work, and apparently I brought the airplane home with me as well.

#87 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 11 September 2013 - 23:09

I accidentally rammed the wing of an Albatros that I had just shot down. I got lucky and the only damage was to the prop and engine so I made a forced landing many kilometers on the wrong side of the lines but not far from the airfield that I had just bombed and where the Albatros came from.

The next day I was back at work, and apparently I brought the airplane home with me as well.

Yeah, I've reported this issue in the testing forums. Hopefully it gets resolved soon.

#88 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 11 September 2013 - 23:39

Other question Luke:
It has been told to me, there were new missions in career mode even at night now. But so far i get still the same as one year ago…even starting new careers with new planes.
So if new missions, what are they called please?

#89 Hvy_Cavalry_Sgt

Hvy_Cavalry_Sgt

Posted 12 September 2013 - 00:12

Yeah, I've reported this issue in the testing forums. Hopefully it gets resolved soon.

Thank you.

In a sort of related area, could I suggest a realism/immersion issue?

If I turn my plane over on landing on my airfield, it is out of service for 3 or 4 days depending on how much of a mess I make. If I do the same thing in a forced landing in no man's land, I get the plane back in the same amount of time. The same is true in any random location on my side of the lines (and I guess on the other side of the lines).

In reality, mechanics would have to go out and fix the plane and have someone fly it home, or take it apart and bring it back on a truck or trailer and then get to work.

My pipe dream here would be an inventory of parts (engines, props, spars, whatever) available to the squadron that mechanics use to fix airplanes. If the parts aren't available, the airplane doesn't get fixed and might get cannibalized to add to the parts stockpile. I don't think that is realistic to implement, so the backup suggestion is to:

a) add some random element to the repair times. For simple 1 day repair jobs, the plane might be available this afternoon, tomorrow or the next day. For what is currently a four day repair, it might range from 3 days to never - the plane is too badly damaged to be repaired.

b) Add a day for airplanes that land off airport, and increase the chance that a bad wreck is going to be written off, especially if it is in no man's land.

#90 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:18

Other question Luke:
It has been told to me, there were new missions in career mode even at night now. But so far i get still the same as one year ago…even starting new careers with new planes.

What I've done is update some of the mission profiles for certain aircraft. For instance, you'll fly infantry support missions now with planes like the Camel, SE5a, and Dolphin, night bomber missions with the CL2, that sort of stuff. In sum, I'm trying to make the mission set for aircraft reflect reality better.

#91 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:20

In a sort of related area, could I suggest a realism/immersion issue?

If I turn my plane over on landing on my airfield, it is out of service for 3 or 4 days depending on how much of a mess I make. If I do the same thing in a forced landing in no man's land, I get the plane back in the same amount of time. The same is true in any random location on my side of the lines (and I guess on the other side of the lines).

In reality, mechanics would have to go out and fix the plane and have someone fly it home, or take it apart and bring it back on a truck or trailer and then get to work.

My pipe dream here would be an inventory of parts (engines, props, spars, whatever) available to the squadron that mechanics use to fix airplanes. If the parts aren't available, the airplane doesn't get fixed and might get cannibalized to add to the parts stockpile. I don't think that is realistic to implement, so the backup suggestion is to:

a) add some random element to the repair times. For simple 1 day repair jobs, the plane might be available this afternoon, tomorrow or the next day. For what is currently a four day repair, it might range from 3 days to never - the plane is too badly damaged to be repaired.

b) Add a day for airplanes that land off airport, and increase the chance that a bad wreck is going to be written off, especially if it is in no man's land.

I'd like to see that stuff, but I don't know if it's anything I can edit / adjust. I'll see if it's possible.

#92 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:10

Other question Luke:

What I've done is update some of the mission profiles for certain aircraft. For instance, you'll fly infantry support missions now with planes like the Camel, SE5a, and Dolphin, night bomber missions with the CL2, that sort of stuff. In sum, I'm trying to make the mission set for aircraft reflect reality better.

I thought there were brand new missions…sorry!

#93 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:29

:)

No worries!

#94 Hvy_Cavalry_Sgt

Hvy_Cavalry_Sgt

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:32

Thanks, Luke.

I just noticed I was asked to go out and "Persue" enemy aircraft.

#95 PapaFlo

PapaFlo
  • LocationInnsbruck

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:09

Other question Luke:

Hi Luke!
Will there be night missions for R.E.8s too? Would be great.
Anyway - thanks for your work!

intel i7 7700k@4,5Ghz watercooled with be-Quiet Silent Loop 240, GSkill Aegis 16 GB DDR4 Ram@2800Mhz, GigaByte GA-Z270-Gaming K3, Gainward GTX 1080 phoenix glh, TM Warthog throttle and stick (with 7,5cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind pedals, Saitek yoke, Saitek throttle quadrant x 2, Saitek trimm wheel, Gametrix KW 908 Jetseat, TrackIR 5

#96 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:55

Hi Luke!

I can do that, if you can tell me when they flew such missions.

#97 PapaFlo

PapaFlo
  • LocationInnsbruck

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:39

Hi Luke!

I don't know when exactly or how often, only that night missions were flown.

From the description of the photograph I've found: Lieutenant (Lt) Stanley George Brearley, pilot, and Lt Robert Harold Taylor, observer, of No. 69 Squadron (Australian), Royal Flying Corps (RFC), starting out for a night bombing operation from the hangar at Savy. They are seated in a RAF RE-8 aircraft; a two-seater biplane with forward and rear firing machine guns, mostly used in artillery observation and night bombing roles. Note the numerals on the top fuselage decking and white circle Squadron insignia.

Here's the link to the source: www.awm.gov.au/collection/E01178

Maybe someone knows more?
I just love flying night-missions and i love flying the RE8. Having both at the same time would be awesome.
:S!:

intel i7 7700k@4,5Ghz watercooled with be-Quiet Silent Loop 240, GSkill Aegis 16 GB DDR4 Ram@2800Mhz, GigaByte GA-Z270-Gaming K3, Gainward GTX 1080 phoenix glh, TM Warthog throttle and stick (with 7,5cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind pedals, Saitek yoke, Saitek throttle quadrant x 2, Saitek trimm wheel, Gametrix KW 908 Jetseat, TrackIR 5

#98 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 12 September 2013 - 13:04

Luke,

can you tell which Cl.2 squadrons fly night missions, and when? Just to make sure I didn't miss it with my existing career.

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#99 PapaFlo

PapaFlo
  • LocationInnsbruck

Posted 12 September 2013 - 14:25

Hi Luke!

I found another source: www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1954/1954%20-%202853.html

"…In September 1917 the Corps squadrons of the I and III Brigades began to make night bombing attacks which were calculated to assist in the main Ypres offensive. The R.E.8s and Armstrong Whitworth F.K.8s of these squadrons made their first night raids on the night of September 5th/6th, and later in the month made machine-gun attacks against road traffic by night. These night attacks continued well into 1918, and by April of that year night reconnaissances were being made in conjunction with the bombing attacks…"

Will this help?

#100 EZmeat

EZmeat

Posted 12 September 2013 - 15:26

the Fee's fuel indicator always shows full?

#101 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 12 September 2013 - 15:48

the Fee's fuel indicator always shows full?

Not sure how it was IRL (but I assume the devs got it right, in the absence of evidence to the contrary), but in game it appears that the other tank(s) empty first, and then the tank measured by the field mod gauge kicks in. It reads full until you get to about 35% fuel setting (in hangar screen), then drops to just below 3/4 full when you're at 25%, just under 1/2 full when you're at 15%, and just under 1/4 full when you're at 8%.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#102 Hvy_Cavalry_Sgt

Hvy_Cavalry_Sgt

Posted 12 September 2013 - 18:33

Could we have a "copy loadout" function so everyone in the flight could easily be assigned the same amount of gas etc?

#103 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 12 September 2013 - 19:27

Luke,

can you tell which Cl.2 squadrons fly night missions, and when? Just to make sure I didn't miss it with my existing career.

Western Front map, Schusta 21 and 27, ~May 1918. I still need to update the files for the Channel map to add that feature.

#104 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 12 September 2013 - 19:31

I don't know when exactly or how often, only that night missions were flown.

From the description of the photograph I've found: Lieutenant (Lt) Stanley George Brearley, pilot, and Lt Robert Harold Taylor, observer, of No. 69 Squadron (Australian), Royal Flying Corps (RFC), starting out for a night bombing operation from the hangar at Savy. They are seated in a RAF RE-8 aircraft; a two-seater biplane with forward and rear firing machine guns, mostly used in artillery observation and night bombing roles. Note the numerals on the top fuselage decking and white circle Squadron insignia.

Here's the link to the source: www.awm.gov.au/collection/E01178

Maybe someone knows more?
I just love flying night-missions and i love flying the RE8. Having both at the same time would be awesome.

Thanks! I can deduce from the airfield location when these missions were flown. I'll add this to the to-do list.

#105 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 12 September 2013 - 19:33

I found another source: www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1954/1954%20-%202853.html

"…In September 1917 the Corps squadrons of the I and III Brigades began to make night bombing attacks which were calculated to assist in the main Ypres offensive. The R.E.8s and Armstrong Whitworth F.K.8s of these squadrons made their first night raids on the night of September 5th/6th, and later in the month made machine-gun attacks against road traffic by night. These night attacks continued well into 1918, and by April of that year night reconnaissances were being made in conjunction with the bombing attacks…"

Will this help?

Yep, that will help a lot well. Thanks! This is good stuff.

#106 Hvy_Cavalry_Sgt

Hvy_Cavalry_Sgt

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:24

Not specific to career mode, but could we look at AAA and how it works? Those guns seem to track targets incredibly well, which I wonder about, but what I really want is for friendly AAA to stop shooting at aircraft that are already under attack by friendly aircraft.

Also, I was reading in one of Hart's books that AAA would fire near friendly aircraft to get their attention, then fire a string of shells in a line to show the bearing of hostile aircraft. THAT would be really cool.

#107 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:11

There should be an automatic "no fire" trigger for AAA if a friendly is within X distance from the target. This would be a HUGE plus. It's been on the wish list for a while now …

One "Band-Aid" for the insane amount of flak kills in career mode, is using Avimimus's Flak mod: Gunner Position / AI mods (Version 1.030 Overhaul)

It works well, and it even raises the minimum angle the guns will fire at to help reduce the number of tree-top kills they get. I did raise the angle from 10 to 15 degrees, however, and it's much better. I still have seen some fairly low shots from time to time, but not as bad as the stock game (see my posts on pg.8 of that thread for details).

The only downside of that mod is the reduced amount of flak bursts overall. It makes it harder to spot other aircraft, but it's not so bad if you add the "no ambient AAA" mod (which is a "must have" in career mode - IMHO)

Ambient AAA remover

#108 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 14 September 2013 - 15:44

I'm recently seeing mixed - squadron flights in Career mode. First was Brithish two-seater flight consisting of FEE and R.E.8 (Jasta 11 career, February 1917). Now I met a Sopwith Pup and Belgian N.11 circling the frontline together over the same tight route in CAC Dunkirk career, January 1817.

Come to think of it, most planes I see over frontline after update,in that CAC Dunkirk career, are Pups - and only Pup squadron on the map is No. 37 squadron, well in England.

Forum moderator.

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#109 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 15 September 2013 - 00:55

I'm recently seeing mixed - squadron flights in Career mode. First was Brithish two-seater flight consisting of FEE and R.E.8 (Jasta 11 career, February 1917). Now I met a Sopwith Pup and Belgian N.11 circling the frontline together over the same tight route in CAC Dunkirk career, January 1817.

Come to think of it, most planes I see over frontline after update,in that CAC Dunkirk career, are Pups - and only Pup squadron on the map is No. 37 squadron, well in England.

Not sure about the Pup thing (not sure I understand your point, unless it is that there aren't any Pup-flying units in the area during that time frame). But since the player's own unit often has mixed flights of aricraft types (at least the German ones do, as units are transitioning from one type to another), I wouldn't find it all that surprising to see the AI units also flying mixed flights. I know a lot of the units on both sides in the career files have multiple aircraft types assigned to the same unit for the same time periods, but I don't know anything about the logic in the code that determines which aircraft types are assigned to any specific flight or mission - that's something Luke might be able to respond about.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#110 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:20

I'm not sure on that one, either. It just sounds, though, like something the devs coded as a feature.

#111 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:45

Not sure about the Pup thing (not sure I understand your point, unless it is that there aren't any Pup-flying units in the area during that time frame). But since the player's own unit often has mixed flights of aricraft types (at least the German ones do, as units are transitioning from one type to another), I wouldn't find it all that surprising to see the AI units also flying mixed flights. I know a lot of the units on both sides in the career files have multiple aircraft types assigned to the same unit for the same time periods, but I don't know anything about the logic in the code that determines which aircraft types are assigned to any specific flight or mission - that's something Luke might be able to respond about.

My point - there are no Pup units on the continent, Brits fly N17GBR, Tripes and Fees - the only Pup unit is far in the England, halfway between London and Felixstowe. Yet I've flown from Dunkirk to the front and back, and only flights I saw were Pups and one mixed flight of British Pup and Belgian N.11 - different units, different nations, single flight. I don't think there are mixed Fee / R.E.8 Squadrons, either.

In 14 months of flying mostly career, this is the first time I see multi-national AI flights, multi-squadron AI flights and multi-type AI flights that are not two seaters with scout escort. Since we have seen German Tripes and British E.III lately, I'm reporting it just in case - this may be my oversight, new feature, or game drawing wrong planes to fill the flights.

Forum moderator.

#112 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:04

Yeah - I agree that multi-national flights and such sounds like some sort of bug, and certainly nothing I've encountered with the previous versions in career mode either. Hopefully Luke and Vik can figure out how to get this straightened out soon.

#113 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:50

For what it's worth, the Pups being drawn from England will be gone in the next update. I've expanded the RNAS squads to the time they were originally Naval Wings, so that means there will be a lot more Allied fighter squads on the Continent from the time career mode begins, and so the anomaly of having Home Defence squads coming over from England for missions should be gone. That, and No.37 Squadron won't be issued Pups until the historically correct time (1917).

#114 2Lt_Joch

2Lt_Joch
  • Locationcanada

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:51

I started a new career. RNAS 8 flying Sopwith Triplanes out of Furnes airbase on the Channel map.

1st mission, lost sight of my squad, landed, ended the mission and then saw that all three had crashed.

2nd mission, stuck with my squad, accompanied 3 back to base, waited until they landed, which they all did successfully and into the wind, then landed. All 3 were shown as having landed.

so is it a coincidence or is it better to wait until the squad has landed before ending the mission?

#115 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 15 September 2013 - 15:07

I say coincidence. The best way to avoid wingmen crashing is to land before them; as flight leader, I always tell them to hold position over the airfield, land myself and end mission.

In mission review (before you choose to accept or reply) you can see where they crashed. It might be due to enemy action.|

Not really good thread to discuss that.

Forum moderator.

#116 Hvy_Cavalry_Sgt

Hvy_Cavalry_Sgt

Posted 16 September 2013 - 16:31

I just noticed there seems to be a mismatch between newspaper articles and the actual kill totals.

One article had the Germans boasting about all their aces - for example Captain Baron von Richtofen with 62 and Lt. Baron von Richtofen with 17. In the actual tallies reported in the paper, they have 57 and 24 respectively.

#117 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 17 September 2013 - 23:46

Luke, any chance to get escort in career mode when playing 2 seaters/bombers?

#118 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:59

There are escort missions for the DFW, the late-model CL2, and the Roland right now. :) I plan on having that as well for the Strutter.

#119 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:41

Ah yes?…flown 2 missions with nice Roland, and didn't have escort (railstation bombing)…maybe later?

#120 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 18 September 2013 - 16:07

There are escort missions for the DFW, the late-model CL2, and the Roland right now. :) I plan on having that as well for the Strutter.

Luke - if I'm interpreting his post correctly, he's not looking to fly in the 2-seaters as escorts for something else, he's looking to have escorts protecting him when he's flying the 2-seaters. (Although having both scenarios is best of course).

I've had escorts accompanying me in several of my 2-seater career missions, but certainly not all. Sometimes they're flying pretty high as top cover so it takes me a while to notice that they're up there doing that, but it's a nice feeling once I figure out that they're friendly and not about to pounce on us :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users