Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Career Mode Feedback

• Please log in to reply
645 replies to this topic

#41 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 26 July 2013 - 20:45

Can we not give our squadmates pictures? I want to know what they look like (and my gunners)

#42 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:43

1 & 2: those issues are on my to-tweak list. Believe me, I want to adjust those as well, and that is something I can tweak.

Hmmmm … now where have I heard THAT before? ;) Seriously though, thanks! I think 777 needs a few more Lukes to sort out their beta-career mode.

The rest are really out of my control, though I agree they are some really good ideas.

This might be a stupid question, but do the devs ever ask for your input on things like that? Maybe they're more interested in bugs you're aware of. In my opinion, item #3 is probably one of the most noticeable issues in career mode.

Thanks again! :S!:

#43 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:06

One thing I noticed in Camel squadrons, is that the AI never drops their bombs on airfield attack missions. They always end up dogfighting with all their bombs strapped on, fly all the way back to the base, and startle me when they dump their payload as I'm diving ahead of them to land. They almost took out a friendly field camp in my mission yesterday! :roll:
I think they're programmed to "attack air" only, and they never get to the field early enough to target the parked planes like the Spad 13's can. I wish they were set to "attack air/ground" so that they could take out a few AA positions (if they're not engaged) like they do so well on ground attack missions.

#44 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:38

I don't think so, unless this was a mission type that they flew.
Historically, it is very likely, as well as close air support and vehicle attacks (during the 1918 offensives)

Ok, so for a typical French Breguet 14 bombardment unit (say, BR.111) they should be flying these sorts of missions?

-Bombardment
-Visual Recon
-Photorecon
-Vehicle attacks (during the German 1918 offensive)

#45 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:43

1 & 2: those issues are on my to-tweak list. Believe me, I want to adjust those as well, and that is something I can tweak.

Hmmmm … now where have I heard THAT before? ;) Seriously though, thanks! I think 777 needs a few more Lukes to sort out their beta-career mode.

That would be good. :D

The rest are really out of my control, though I agree they are some really good ideas.

This might be a stupid question, but do the devs ever ask for your input on things like that? Maybe they're more interested in bugs you're aware of. In my opinion, item #3 is probably one of the most noticeable issues in career mode.

They do, but there's only so much they can do, especially given now with so many resources being given to BoS. Variable injury recovery times have been brought up many times though, for sure.

#46 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:45

One thing I noticed in Camel squadrons, is that the AI never drops their bombs on airfield attack missions. They always end up dogfighting with all their bombs strapped on, fly all the way back to the base, and startle me when they dump their payload as I'm diving ahead of them to land. They almost took out a friendly field camp in my mission yesterday! :roll:
I think they're programmed to "attack air" only, and they never get to the field early enough to target the parked planes like the Spad 13's can. I wish they were set to "attack air/ground" so that they could take out a few AA positions (if they're not engaged) like they do so well on ground attack missions.

I agree. It's something that's bugged me as well.

#47 jeanba4

jeanba4

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:56

I don't think so, unless this was a mission type that they flew.
Historically, it is very likely, as well as close air support and vehicle attacks (during the 1918 offensives)

Ok, so for a typical French Breguet 14 bombardment unit (say, BR.111) they should be flying these sorts of missions?

-Bombardment
-Visual Recon
-Photorecon
-Vehicle attacks (during the German 1918 offensive)
Yes
Except for 1918 offensives (both german and allies), mostly bombing but occasional "visual recons" (which purpose was to check possible targets or perform damage assessment), during offensives : "everything" except artillery spotting.

#48 M.H

M.H

Posted 27 July 2013 - 13:12

I know this has been mentioned before but , how about the career missions revolve around our position instead of the flight leaders .

Assuming you mean the issue of when other planes despawn, then +1 for sure. It seems like it should be a fairly simple tweak to change the existing algorithm ever so slightly, just to substitute a reference to the player's plane instead of the flight leader's plane.

But then again, lots of things seem simple when you don't have to do the work :)

Hopefully this will turn out to be the sort of low-hanging fruit/easy ones they could sneak into an upcoming update without much trouble, but I won't be holding my breath.
I know a (minuscule) bit about C programming and as far as I know ( which is not very far …..) :roll: ……………
It should not take much for this fix , a couple of hours at most . It makes a big difference when you don't have to dive to your death attacking balloons every time your retard half simian flight leader decides to kamikaze that balloon pinata to bring out the candy . You can be extra brave and venture farther in ………

#49 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:14

Yes
Except for 1918 offensives (both german and allies), mostly bombing but occasional "visual recons" (which purpose was to check possible targets or perform damage assessment), during offensives : "everything" except artillery spotting.

Good, thanks. :)

#50 PCDurum

PCDurum

Posted 28 July 2013 - 17:29

Would it be possible for your home bases flak squads to recognize you at less than 300 feet or less especially when your flying the the Black Prince Camel? ;)

I only say as my best career to date: H De Boar (SA Colonial of No8 sdgn October 1917.not sure of base. 19vics 11 balloons,53 sorties)was taken out at about 250 feet by his HB flak boys while at least 200yds away from the rogue Alb III that had followed my injured co back across the lines! I only got involved as things were looking decidedly bad for my co who was a 23 victory ace who I'd grown fond of.

I didn't mind the irony of the moment so much (all said it was probably my most enjoyable ROF flight to date,we'd had heavy combat over the lines) and took it well and even have most of the drama on my saved flight data for a possible vid but the CO was still in a fight for his life with the Alb who I'd just hit before getting the short straw so there was still hope for my CO Frank Hill and I never got to know iff he made it or not!
It would have been great to join the squadron maybe the day or so after as a new pilot and see iff Frank survived and how badly wounded he was. The joining an ongoing squadron with current pilot histories would be a massive + for career mode I think iff at all possible? :S!:

ps: Thanks for all the dedicated passion Luke and all you guys! It is afterall a stunning & visually top notch game & I really enjoy playing ROF! :S!:

#51 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:15

PCDurum,

Have you tried using Avimimus's flak mod? Gunner Position / AI mods (Version 1.030 Overhaul)

It helps with those low-level flak kills, as well as the MANY others. I wish there was a way to have flak cease firing when friendly AC are nearby, but I'm not sure it is possible (wish I added it to my list!). Anyway, using that mod definitely helps, and I've even adjusted the min. firing angles a bit higher to further reduce low-level flak (see the latest posts in that thread for more info on that). Honestly, I can't imagine reaching 53 sorties without suffering a flakky death!

#52 J2_VonGraff

J2_VonGraff
  • LocationCenter of the Universe

Posted 06 August 2013 - 19:25

Ok, so I wanted to preface this by saying the-dude told me to post this, so its all his fault. ;) lol. Naw, i'm just kidding this is all on me. I was mentioning things I'd like to see in ROF's Campaign mode. Not to laundry list or anything but here goes:

"I recalled something else on my wish list for 777 to hop on…..respectfully of course. And that is occupied friendly airfields. This is another gap that sucks the realism out (like the flak coloration)and that is flying over enemy and friendly fields alike with zero planes on them. Along with this is the proper response when flying over enemy fields where there occasionally should be an attempt at a scramble to attack you. Also when pursued by hostile machines back over friendly territory there should be an equal (not always) but possibility of a scramble response of at least one or two machiens to assist you when you clearly fly back to a friendly aerodrome for cover/assistance. But heck….just put some planes on the field to make it look inhabited and I'll be happy, whether any come to my aid or not! Of course when I say this I should mention that I am playing the PWCG campaign. So perhaps this is different in the standard campaign missions. This I am not sure about.

So those are my big three…Plane load hang fix (planes loading slowly and further out to prevent hangs)/ Flak burst differentiation(real white cloud bursts for the Entente)/ and Active airfields. That would polish up an already beautiful diamond nicely, and make it sparkle!"

Like you don't have enough on your plate already.

RA.

'Flight leader, fuel check - I have "E" gallons sir.'

j2-graff-signature-e1425051735579.jpg

#53 2Lt_Joch

2Lt_Joch
  • Locationcanada

Posted 17 August 2013 - 13:02

I noticed an odd issue. I started a new campaign on the channel map flying Alb. D.IIs in oct. 1916. I was noticing a high loss rate among my squadron. I just finished the 5th mission and after landing stayed around to see the last 2 members of my flight landing. Both crashed. First they landed with the wind behind their back (I presume the blue markers on the 2d compass indicate where the wind is coming from?). Second, they came in too shallow/slow and crashed into the hangars on the edge of the field. Now, both are listed as KIAs. Is this a known issue?

#54 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 17 August 2013 - 20:04

Joch,
I'm pretty sure the wind isn't shown on the compass. I think they represent your flight leader, your next waypoint, and maybe other planes in your flight. I could be wrong, though, as I only use the large compass once in a while to check out a plane's RPM redline and temp ranges that I've never flown, or haven't flown in a while and I've forgot.

It seems like the AI always lands in one direction at each airfield, regardless of wind direction. When the wind is at levels 4m/s or higher, and in a direction that doesn't bode well for that airfield, you can often see the AI botch their landings.

#55 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 17 August 2013 - 22:45

AIs killing themselves in landings is a known issue. I never let them land if I can (order flight to hold position if I'm leader, race them and land first if I'm not). They simply can't be trusted to land :( .

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#56 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 18 August 2013 - 00:35

I noticed an odd issue. I started a new campaign on the channel map flying Alb. D.IIs in oct. 1916. I was noticing a high loss rate among my squadron. I just finished the 5th mission and after landing stayed around to see the last 2 members of my flight landing. Both crashed. First they landed with the wind behind their back (I presume the blue markers on the 2d compass indicate where the wind is coming from?). Second, they came in too shallow/slow and crashed into the hangars on the edge of the field. Now, both are listed as KIAs. Is this a known issue?

Which airfield?

#57 2Lt_Joch

2Lt_Joch
  • Locationcanada

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:52

Jasta 8 flying out of Rumbeke airfield which is a few km south of Roulers.

#58 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 18 August 2013 - 13:35

Have fun trying to catch the Re8s, Joch. :P
:S!:

#59 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 18 August 2013 - 15:45

In D.II all he needs to do is point Becker cannon upwards, of all Albatroses this one is R.E.8 killer ;) … Catching R.E.8 in E.III, that's satisfying :P.

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#60 2Lt_Joch

2Lt_Joch
  • Locationcanada

Posted 18 August 2013 - 18:07

Lots of other game out there……. ;)

#61 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:06

Jasta 8 flying out of Rumbeke airfield which is a few km south of Roulers.

Roger, thanks. :)

#62 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:08

Have fun trying to catch the Re8s, Joch. :P
:S!:

Please stay out of this thread if you have nothing constructive to add.

#63 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:36

It's kind of funny, but if you select "fly a lone patrol" mission right after relocating airfields, you will be teleported back to your old airfield for that mission. Kinda sucks. I just wanted to buzz around the area a bit to get the lay of the land. Should've done it the next morning …

#64 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:40

Please let me know how balloon attacks in the FE2b are working for you guys. Testing was inconclusive as to whether or not the AI will actually try to attack a balloon, given that the gun is not manned by the pilot. If things prove to be problematic I can implement a solution that will circumvent the problem.

#65 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:31

Don't know about balloons in career, but in the quick missions the gunner in the Fee will not fire at the balloons so far, even if I fly straight at it, and no matter what command I give him.

#66 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 28 August 2013 - 19:18

Yeah, balloon attacks seem to be…tricky with the FE2b.

#67 Martijnvdm

Martijnvdm

Posted 28 August 2013 - 20:53

Tonight i attacked a railway station on a night mission and hit the target. While flying back home i spotted three trucks heading east (nice feature with the headlamps btw. Makes them easy to spot). I felt lucky and jumped in the front seat and attacked them with the forward firing lewis. After about two or three strafing runs i destroyed two of them. The only weird thing was that they didn't show up in my scoring board in the mission debriefing.

Is this a known issue? Like you can only get credits for destroying vehicles while on ground attack patrol?

Grtz M

I7 4790K@4.0, MSI Z97 Gaming 5, Kingston HyperX Beast (t3) 16GB, MSI GTX 980 Gaming, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, Windows 10 64

#68 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 28 August 2013 - 22:46

Tonight i attacked a railway station on a night mission and hit the target. While flying back home i spotted three trucks heading east (nice feature with the headlamps btw. Makes them easy to spot). I felt lucky and jumped in the front seat and attacked them with the forward firing lewis. After about two or three strafing runs i destroyed two of them. The only weird thing was that they didn't show up in my scoring board in the mission debriefing.

Is this a known issue? Like you can only get credits for destroying vehicles while on ground attack patrol?

I've not heard of that sort of issue, so I'll be sure to report it. Thanks!

#69 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:33

Would it be possible to change the briefing, to include the formation type, and the player's place in the formation?

I'm often confused when I try to translate the number my pilot has been given to a spot in the formation.

#70 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:54

Would it be possible to change the briefing, to include the formation type, and the player's place in the formation?

I'm often confused when I try to translate the number my pilot has been given to a spot in the formation.

I agree, it can be a bit confusing. I'm not sure if it can be changed, but I'll ask and see if anything can be done.

#71 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:10

Thanks!

Also add 'from' or 'to' to the wind direction if it's possible :)

#72 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:07

I've not heard of that sort of issue, so I'll be sure to report it. Thanks!

I think those truck kills go to the gunner, not the pilot. You'll have to bomb them if you want the kill credit while flying the Fe2b.

#73 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:44

Luke,
I'm sure you're probably a bit wrecked after the latest couple of updates. Just wondering what career mode issues are in your sights for the near future (and 777's - if you're aware of). Do you plan to keep this thread going or start a new one?

Thanks! :S!:

#74 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:03

Luke,
I'm sure you're probably a bit wrecked after the latest couple of updates. Just wondering what career mode issues are in your sights for the near future (and 777's - if you're aware of). Do you plan to keep this thread going or start a new one?

Thanks! :S!:

My goal right now is continue doing what I've been doing - namely getting the squads we have in the game updated in terms of mission profiles, aircraft / airfield assignments, etc. I'm focusing right now on getting the British and German squads for the Western Front map up to speed. In particular, a lot of German squads that were added for the Channel map can also be added to the Western Front map, so that's going to do a lot for filling up that side of the map. On the Channel side of things, the addition of the Strutter means I've finally been able to figure out the structure of the RNAS Naval Wings, so some new units for that will also be coming.

I also have a few little tweaks in mind as well for some award stuff. Finally, there will likely be also something more substantial coming down the road, but the timetable for that is not yet set.

But yes, by all means, please continue providing feedback. Every little bit helps. :)

#75 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:54

How about the French?

oops, sorry, I guess we'll have good choices of squads ony when a French will take care of that (not disrespect Luke, it's just that I think there are interest only from French community I guess).

Jeanba, tu te sens prêt? :)

#76 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:30

No, don't worry, I haven't forgotten about the French. :) It's just that there's so much to do with all the other nations, and I want to try to do this all in an orderly manner and not jump around from nation to nation.

The thing about the French that can & does make things hard is so much of the info is only in French, and sometimes the info is not concisely laid out.

Otherwise, I think the variety of French flyable fighter squads is very good. Bomber units, meh, and of course recon units aren't really happening at all right now. Getting the French Strutter into the game will really, really help with resolving that. So, my plan going forward with adding French units will be adding AI units to flesh out the fighter squads, maybe adding another flyable bomber squad, and stuffing as many Strutter units into the game as possible.

#77 Razneff

Razneff

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:59

Hi Lucke! It's been a few time I hadn't play with my Bcareer campaign. I did it for a few days now, and I must say I enjoyed it a lot. I've saw many more variations in mission types, wheather conditions, air or ground activity…well, immersion improvements I would say. Pretty good job you've done! Only strange stuff I saw: playing a belgian career with BMA1, from Les Moëres, october 1916: when I have to escort "two seaters", I always find myself following some Sopwith Triplanes. Never Re8's, neighter Fe2b's. But I encounter sometimes those crates, in other kinds of mission. I guess there must be a little mistake there?

#78 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 07 September 2013 - 19:00

Only strange stuff I saw: playing a belgian career with BMA1, from Les Moëres, october 1916: when I have to escort "two seaters", I always find myself following some Sopwith Triplanes. Never Re8's, neighter Fe2b's. But I encounter sometimes those crates, in other kinds of mission. I guess there must be a little mistake there?

Yeah, it's an issue with the way squads are defined, but a fix for it should be coming soon.

#79 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 08 September 2013 - 23:44

I tried out some B-career missions in 1916. The Fe2b's defensive tactics are not adequate. It does not bank enough to give the rear gunner a good shot.

Any chance the Fe2b could have a different waypoint setting so that it tries to engage enemy scouts? I take it that Fe2b crews actually did this.

Also, Fe2b's that seem to be on reconnaissance missions still carry bombs, which really slows them down.

#80 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:57

Yeah, there are a bunch of issues with loadouts for the FE2b. I've let VikS know what they are.

As for waypoint settings, I'll make a report about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users