Career Mode Feedback

• Please log in to reply
645 replies to this topic

#1 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:36

I figured this would be a good spot to discuss some of the things I'm working on right now with career mode. I'd also like to make this a discussion thread about changes you'd like to see made, such as what type of missions should be assigned to a particular squad / plane type, issues with aircraft and airfield assignments, etc.

To start off, these are some of the things on my to-do list right now:

-Enable use of night bomber missions for CL2 on Channel map
-American and French Breguet units: should be flying bomber and photo-recon only (remove artillery spotting missions)
-Add / edit French WF map squads
-Add / edit American WF map squads
-Add / edit British WF map squads
-Add / edit German AI WF map squads
-Deactivate airfields not in use on both maps
-Add Esc. 29 and Esc. 213 to WF map. (213 flew recon and artillery missions)

Also, I've changed Jasta 2 so that they take on the D.VIIF in early September 1918, and by the middle of the month they've changed over entirely to the type. Is that an accurate reflection of the aircraft they were flying?

#2 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:38

Some other things coming or planned:

-Change CAM Dunkirk from the Vickers-armed Nieuport 17 to the Lewis-armed Nieuport 17.
-Filter in Lewis-armed Nieuport 17s to French squads where appropriate.

#3 Jorren

Jorren

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:39

I'm glad to see this happened.

As I've been playing the belgian career quite a lot recently, so I can give input about some things.

If it is possible, I would remove the ground attack patrols for SPAD VII, or at least there could be a discussion about this. In my opinion, it's not very much suited for this role as it has only one gun and 350 bullets by default. More than half of the 30 missions with 5eme Esc I flew were ground attack patrols. Lot of them ended as not completed because of somewhat unclear victory conditions for this type of missions. Because of that, I transferred to 1ere Esc which is using Camels at that time (until the arrival of Hanriot to ROF).
The Camel of course is much more suited for GAPs as it could also carry some bombs and have 2 guns so the GAPs are quite ok for Camels.
Therefore, it would be better in my opinion, to assign to SPAD VII units some other type of missions when flying in bad weather. Maybe Line patrols would be more suitable, but dunno if it is possible of course.

Some WF map suggestions:
- more Camel RFC/RAF flyable units
- more famous S.E.5a units flyable, like No.60 Sq, No.74 Sq., No.84 Sq, No.85 Sq, also No.1 and No.40 Squadrons (not sure about these, sry if they are, I'm not at my PC right now)
- more german Jastas flyable (also more AI Jastas)
- more french AI/flyable squads

So yes, we need to populate the WF map more, the southern sectors lack units the most I think.

Well, it looks like most of this is on your to-do list, so it's nice, can't wait for it :-) I can imagine that it must be a lot of work though :shock:

PS: the Medaille Militaire for the french please please please please please :cry:

#4 jeanba4

jeanba4

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:33

That looks good : do you need help on French unit ?
Do you make any difference between "offensive epriods" and "normal periods" ?
Because during offensive, the profile of missions of Breguet was rather the same as what you see for the CLII (ie attacks on ennemy positions / convoy : supply dumps + visual recons + bombing airfields and railway station), else : as we have now (with recon instead of arty spotting)

#5 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 01 July 2013 - 18:57

If it is possible, I would remove the ground attack patrols for SPAD VII, or at least there could be a discussion about this. In my opinion, it's not very much suited for this role as it has only one gun and 350 bullets by default. More than half of the 30 missions with 5eme Esc I flew were ground attack patrols. Lot of them ended as not completed because of somewhat unclear victory conditions for this type of missions. Because of that, I transferred to 1ere Esc which is using Camels at that time (until the arrival of Hanriot to ROF).
The Camel of course is much more suited for GAPs as it could also carry some bombs and have 2 guns so the GAPs are quite ok for Camels.
Therefore, it would be better in my opinion, to assign to SPAD VII units some other type of missions when flying in bad weather. Maybe Line patrols would be more suitable, but dunno if it is possible of course.

I may just remove ground attack patrols for planes like the Spad 7 and Nieuport 11 & 17, since they carry such a small ammo load and one gun. Like you say, the Camel is much more suited for ground attack work.

PS: the Medaille Militaire for the french please please please please please :cry:

Agreed, it would be nice. There's a German medal or two I'd like to add as well. Perhaps it can be done. :)

#6 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 01 July 2013 - 19:00

Do you make any difference between "offensive periods" and "normal periods" ?
Because during offensive, the profile of missions of Breguet was rather the same as what you see for the CLII (ie attacks on enemy positions / convoy : supply dumps + visual recons + bombing airfields and railway station), else : as we have now (with recon instead of arty spotting)

With French units, I think the info I have right now is sufficient.

I can differentiate between "quiet times" and "offensives" if you guys can come up with a general timeline when this would be the case. I already do have this modeled somewhat on the Allied side during the German spring 1918 offensive - during that time you'll fly more ground attack missions than anything else.

#7 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 01 July 2013 - 19:22

Can the 'recon info' (or what is it called) on the career map screen not be a guide for this?

#8 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 01 July 2013 - 21:17

I'd also like to make this a discussion thread about changes you'd like to see made, such as what type of missions should be assigned to a particular squad / plane type, issues with aircraft and airfield assignments, etc.

At risk of going into wish listing…

1. More cross-channel flights, especially for German two-seaters. The No.56 Sqdrn tour on Channel map is all about downing DFW C.Vs flying over England, it would be fun and challenging to fly these DFW missions.

2. The Fokker E.V / D.VIII deployment. Were they really employed by Jasta 6 till November? I remember reading (during long wiki/aerodrome crawl, might get things wrong and surely don't remember my sources) that the actual D.VIIIs were assigned to Jasta 11, and the pilot who scored last kill of the war in it was a J.11 member.

3. Military Merit Cross for Geramn NCOs? Possibly mutually exclusive with House of Hohenzollern?

4. (Probably to big to implement, but what the hell) - adding secondary "recon" objectives to sea patrols around the ships, using reconnaissance flight interface? Seaplanes are not able to engage most ships, but should be somehow rewarded for reporting their whereabouts. A dialogue window like one during recon flight could open around the ships spawn, allowing player to enter ships type, course and map quadrant, awarding "recon" type victory if entered correctly. These victories should not be necessary to complete the patrol, but could speed up certain awards and promotions.

5. If #3 was implemented, add "recon and artillery targets" type victories to pilots score, next to aeroplane, balloon, ground and naval victories. Make them slowly count towards players score, promotions and lower grade decorations.

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#9 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 01 July 2013 - 23:42

Can the 'recon info' (or what is it called) on the career map screen not be a guide for this?

I guess it could, yes.

#10 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 01 July 2013 - 23:45

2. The Fokker E.V / D.VIII deployment. Were they really employed by Jasta 6 till November? I remember reading (during long wiki/aerodrome crawl, might get things wrong and surely don't remember my sources) that the actual D.VIIIs were assigned to Jasta 11, and the pilot who scored last kill of the war in it was a J.11 member.

Are they actually being used by Jasta 6 right now til the war's end? Because if so, that's a mistake I need to fix.

3. Military Merit Cross for Geramn NCOs? Possibly mutually exclusive with House of Hohenzollern?

That is an award I'd like to add, yes.

#11 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:19

Are they actually being used by Jasta 6 right now til the war's end? Because if so, that's a mistake I need to fix.

Yes, they are. I've just finished a Jasta 6 career and have been flying D.VIII from August 1918 until the Armistice.

Bear in mind that there are no other squadrons flying it from October on (that I'm aware of), so simply removing it from Jasta 6 will make D.VIII almost unflyable in career.

To make things worse, the current mechanics of adding new planes to career squadrons - after plane becomes available, the casualties (if any) suffered by squadron are replaced with new type of plane - makes it very difficult to even see planes with short service spans. It took me a week after Jasta 6 got its D.VIIIs before I've lost some planes, and I have been trying to send them into dangerous situations; if D.VIII had its historical short service time, I'd lose it shortly after it became really flyable. Not to mention D.VIII easily overrevs and is difficult to land, so it spends much of its first weeks in repair as player learns to fly it safely.

Is it possible for squadron to lose all planes of old type and gain mix of planes of old and new type? When a squadron drops the old type and get new one (say, Jasta 6 replaces Dr.Is with D.VIIs) it smoothly replaces all Dreideckers. But a squadron like CAM Dunkirk (10 N.17s at start) can have Sopwith Triplanes from December 1916 on; in practice it gets new Triplanes only if pilot is killed and his Nieuport is lost. Is it possible to make such squadron drop its 10 N17s and replace it with mix of 5 "new" N17 and 5 Triplanes? Then replace that with mix of 4 "new" N.17s, 3 "new" Triplanes and 3 SPAD 7s? It would let players make full use of short lived planes like D.VIII / Halberstadt D.II (on channel) and not encourage them to send AI pilots to their deaths.

Due to low casualties, my Jasta 6 had 9 D.VIIs, 2 D.VIIFs and 1 D.VIII at Armistice. Until I made them off-limits for AIs (which was somewhat against the point) all three "advanced" planes were often in repairs at once, leaving me only with basic D.VII.

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#12 Jorren

Jorren

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:46

1)
I think that this has been suggested in the past, but the recovery from injuries should take more time than as it is now. We have kind of Star Trek-like health care in the game right now, when we are cured from almost dead to fully fit in few days.
The worst injuries should take several weeks to heal (maybe even months). It would be more realistic I think.

2)
With the coming of the F.E.2b we will get the first plane (except of the heavy bombers and the Felixstowe) in which the pilot would not personally control any gun. So this takes me to the fact that one will have not recorded any Personal victories in the "Personal room" window of career mode. This is because the victories of observers are not recorded there but they are visible only at "Squadron room" window. So it would be nice to see also the observer victories (or simply the "team" victories) recorded as personal. This is also the case of balloon victories not recorded in the personal room window.

3)
Lone patrols: Is it possible to change/improve that one will be able to fly lone patrols between the planned missions? (or even before the first generated mission?) Now it is possible only after the last generated mission of the day.

#13 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 02 July 2013 - 19:31

Yes, they are. I've just finished a Jasta 6 career and have been flying D.VIII from August 1918 until the Armistice.

It sounds to me like you're keeping the planes past the time they are supposed to be replaced. If you start a Jasta 6 career in September 1918, are there any D.VIIIs on the roster?

Otherwise, I'm not totally sure how aircraft replacement works. It sounds like in this particular case the D.VIII is not being replaced wholesale with other types, which in reality it would have. I'll do some testing and see if anything is amiss.

#14 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 02 July 2013 - 19:32

Lone patrols: Is it possible to change/improve that one will be able to fly lone patrols between the planned missions? (or even before the first generated mission?) Now it is possible only after the last generated mission of the day.

That would have to be something for the developers to change.

#15 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 July 2013 - 23:00

Hello LukeFF,

Thankyou for doing this work in Career, it is very much appreciated.

Is it possible to have the skin from the drop down list in the hangar tweaked, so that you don't have to re-apply it each time you start a new mission?

Also, is there a problem at the moment in Career?
Recently every time I fly over NoMansLand I get a lot of short freezes.
I havn't changed anything my end and it never used to happen.
I have tried it with Mods on and off, but it makes no difference.
It could and quite possibly is something to do with my internet, but I just wondered if anyone else was having this problem or that there actually is something wrong.

I apologize if this is the incorrect place to ask.

Cheers,
Spag. :)

Bite off more than you can chew.

Then chew like Hell ! ! !

#16 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:08

Is it possible to have the skin from the drop down list in the hangar tweaked, so that you don't have to re-apply it each time you start a new mission?

Also, is there a problem at the moment in Career?
Recently every time I fly over NoMansLand I get a lot of short freezes.
I havn't changed anything my end and it never used to happen.
I have tried it with Mods on and off, but it makes no difference.
It could and quite possibly is something to do with my internet, but I just wondered if anyone else was having this problem or that there actually is something wrong.

Those questions would be best answered by one of the developers. :)

#17 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 04 July 2013 - 19:35

1)
I think that this has been suggested in the past, but the recovery from injuries should take more time than as it is now. We have kind of Star Trek-like health care in the game right now, when we are cured from almost dead to fully fit in few days.
The worst injuries should take several weeks to heal (maybe even months). It would be more realistic I think.

I agree. I just got wounded in my Belgian career and I was back in action in 3 days.

Having leave now and then would be nice and immersive, too.

#18 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:10

Could the following mission type be added to career mode:

Familiarisation Flight

Objective:

A patrol within friendly lines to familiarise yourself with either a plane or the terrain.

Mission occurs only whenever:

- Squadron receives new planetype, to test the new plane
- Squadron moves to a new location
- Player changes to a different squadron

I think it would add a lot of immersion, also.

#19 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 05 July 2013 - 16:49

Question out of curiosity - I noticed that whenever the year for the career is chosen, the year it takes place is always marked purple - as if the player will play over this given year (whether it's 1916, 1917 or 1918). So I have a question - What happens if the player hits New Year's Eve in Career Mode?

#20 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 05 July 2013 - 17:00

Question out of curiosity - I noticed that whenever the year for the career is chosen, the year it takes place is always marked purple - as if the player will play over this given year (whether it's 1916, 1917 or 1918). So I have a question - What happens if the player hits New Year's Eve in Career Mode?

Not sure about the purple thing (never really noticed it), but I've flown careers through the transition over New Years and the career keeps going into January of the next year just like normal (of course, it stops on November 11th 1918, so you won't get to New Years Eve in 1918).

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#21 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 05 July 2013 - 18:08

Do you make any difference between "offensive periods" and "normal periods" ?
Because during offensive, the profile of missions of Breguet was rather the same as what you see for the CLII (ie attacks on enemy positions / convoy : supply dumps + visual recons + bombing airfields and railway station), else : as we have now (with recon instead of arty spotting)

With French units, I think the info I have right now is sufficient.

I can differentiate between "quiet times" and "offensives" if you guys can come up with a general timeline when this would be the case. I already do have this modeled somewhat on the Allied side during the German spring 1918 offensive - during that time you'll fly more ground attack missions than anything else.

This would be really cool however without some pop-up window informing the player of said offensive, I think it would hardly be noticed.

Ideally the player would get a pop-up stating something like "March 21, 1918; Kaiserschlacht is launched by the German Army, all sorties are being diverted to support this campaign" (Obviously written better than that).

If this could be added to the campaign I am certain the player-base could and would write quality content so all they have to do is plug it in and you adjust mission frequency and type.

It would be a large project but the reward would be enormous.

#22 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 05 July 2013 - 18:10

I love the popup idea.

#23 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:57

Could the following mission type be added to career mode:

Familiarisation Flight

Objective:

A patrol within friendly lines to familiarise yourself with either a plane or the terrain.

Mission occurs only whenever:

- Squadron receives new planetype, to test the new plane
- Squadron moves to a new location
- Player changes to a different squadron

I think it would add a lot of immersion, also.

Agreed, it would be a good mission type to add. I'll add it to the list. Not sure it can / will be added, but I'll see what can be done.

#24 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:37

I may just remove ground attack patrols for planes like the Spad 7 and Nieuport 11 & 17, since they carry such a small ammo load and one gun. Like you say, the Camel is much more suited for ground attack work.

Agreed, it would be nice. There's a German medal or two I'd like to add as well. Perhaps it can be done. :)

Did the Belgian Camels fly any strafing or bombing missions? I've not found anything much to support that they did but I'm sure someone here can point me in the right direction.

#25 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 06 July 2013 - 22:47

Did the Belgian Camels fly any strafing or bombing missions? I've not found anything much to support that they did but I'm sure someone here can point me in the right direction.

I've not found anything that says they did, but I've not read the daily log in that big book on the Belgian Air Force in WWI in too much detail yet. So far, the only thing I can find is that the Belgian fighter squadrons were tied up in securing air superiority during much of the summer of 1918. That would seem to indicate that they didn't do a lot of bombing or strafing missions.

#26 Vichttal_7

Vichttal_7

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:41

I would like to see individual skins / aces in flights similar to what is done in PWCG.

#27 jeanba4

jeanba4

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:59

I love the popup idea.
So do I

#28 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 23 July 2013 - 18:47

I would like to see individual skins / aces in flights similar to what is done in PWCG.

Not under my control.

#29 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 23 July 2013 - 22:37

Not under my control.

I would love to see this too, but unfortunately it's not under my control either. All the pilot and skins-related info is ready/available, but the mechanics of actually making the aces/pilots/skins appear in the game's career missions based on that information is buried deep in the RoF code somewhere and only the devs would be able to make that happen more frequently (in non-player flights) or at all (in player flights). I wish/hope it could get some attention paid to it at some point in connection with one of the updates - maybe they'll have some epiphany from something they're doing for BoS that could spill over for us here.

Hope springs eternal… :lol:

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#30 jeanba4

jeanba4

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:30

Played my Br111 campaign yestearday
I am happy to see photo recon missions now.
Will I see visual recon too ?

:)

#31 theMoxy

theMoxy

Posted 24 July 2013 - 22:39

…I'm a huge fan of the career mode - so let's be honest; you guys at 777 have only so much time to spend on improvements - And what I keep seeing are people bringing up fairly superficial changes of micro-importance…many of which aren't even very easy to implement!

I would suggest instead, much more impactful additions first - things that would probably be pretty easy to do, and have a HUGE and immediately noticeable impact… THEN, later on get to the small details.

a few top choices i think might be both easy to do AND game-changing:

- an option for realistic injury-recovery times
- some random ace-skins thrown in for AI aces
- a journal that can be written in
- an option for 'dynamic campaign' touches, where AI pilots & their stats are maintained in the background and Aces don't necessarily die on the exact same day over and over again…and more personalization of fellow pilots (same as mentioned above with all AI pilots)
- viewable stats (accuracy etc..stupid, but fun at times)
- boosting the AI dogfighting skills (a huge project, im sure..but worth mention)
- ability to bail from ur plane

…I'd really like to stress the impact that some simple bookkeeping/spreadsheet data on AI personalization would have on the sim! it wouldn't be anything that would slow the game down or require too much programming, but it would immensely enrichen the whole immersion thingie!

Thankyou SO much for starting to look into the career mode! I think it's a really huge part of a sim's attractiveness for many people out there…though ya dont hear about it nearly as much as the MP angle.

#32 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 24 July 2013 - 23:20

Some good points and suggestions. Just a couple of things to point out:

- some random ace-skins thrown in for AI aces

There already hundreds of historically correct (not random) ace/pilot skins that are assigned to AI pilots in career mode missions. If you search the forums you will see several posts by players who have encountered some of them. IMHO, as noted in my post above, this doesn't currently occur nearly as frequently as I would like to see it (there's something buried down in the code somewhere that is suppressing the frequency of these skin assignments, but I've asked the devs to look into it). Hopefully, this frequency can be bumped up to a better level, but the mechanism and the data are already there to make it happen (and more aces and skins are being added to the career configuration files and skin packs with every release).

- an option for 'dynamic campaign' touches, where AI pilots & their stats are maintained in the background and Aces don't necessarily die on the exact same day over and over again

Again, it is already a feature of career mode that aces do not necessarily die on the exact same day over and over again - they can die earlier than their historical death date if they are shot down and killed (not just wounded) during a career mission. The game is set up so that they will not live beyond their historical death date (where known), but they can be killed earlier.

(There have been some occasional bug reports of an ace not being flagged by the game as actually having been killed when it seemed to the player that they probably should have died in the encounter, but as far as I can tell those reports have been sporadic and non-repeatable so if there is a bug it seems to be a small/intermittent one).

#33 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:23

Luke,
Great thread. Thanks for keeping the career players up to date. I can't believe it took me almost 3 1/2 weeks to find this! :?

I like a lot of the stuff mentioned, so I'll try to add a few without repeating too much of what's been said already.

1) Simmed AI mission results and their insane kill counts needs to be addressed. (admit it, you knew that would be my first gripe!)

2) AI squadmates need to have a slight (to moderate) chance of being killed on simmed flights. The odds probably based on rank and/or mission difficulty.

3) Moxy already mentioned it, but I'll strongly second his suggestion. Would it be possible to greatly increase the injury recovery time? Plus, the severity of the injury should coincide with the (variable) length of recovery. A chance of permanent injury or death would be nice too, just as long as it only happened on the severe injuries.

4) It would be nice to see the occupied airfields get some extra ground units and static planes. Some (light) ground traffic to and from the nearest town would be a nice touch.

5) Please see if the developers could implement use of the flares. If I'm RTB, give me a way to signal to the squad to carry on. They might earn me a point by finishing the mission, instead of circling around wondering what happened to me. Also, either give me an "I'm lost - where the Hell are you guys?" flare, that could be followed up with a "we're over here" flare, or just have the flight leader occasionally set off a "hey, we're circling around looking for you" flare when the player gets separated.

6) More mission types would definitely be welcome. Some of the earlier suggestions were great, but I would love to see: (airfield attack defense, area or target defense, package pick-up & delivery (similar to the N17 mission), any missing airfield relocations (I'm not sure they are ALL there, but I could be wrong).

7) An option to continue on in the squadron with the replacement of the player's pilot that died. The other squadron pilots would have their history and stats remain intact.

8) Please ask the devs to fix the self-destructing balloons.

I'll stop there. Sorry for the laundry list, but at least I didn't mention anything regarding FM's or AI behavior! :D

BTW - Welcome back, Moxy! :S!:

#34 espus

espus

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:02

I second The dude's list.
Not sure how accurate the flare point would be but I'm sure they used it more.
Also thank you for an already immersive and exciting career!!!
Espus

#35 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:08

I don't think so, unless this was a mission type that they flew.

#36 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:14

I like a lot of the stuff mentioned, so I'll try to add a few without repeating too much of what's been said already…

1 & 2: those issues are on my to-tweak list. Believe me, I want to adjust those as well, and that is something I can tweak.

The rest are really out of my control, though I agree they are some really good ideas.

My work right now is focusing on getting the Western Front squads up to speed. Once I feel those are to an acceptable level, then I do want to look at the issue of AI victories and injury / death rates on simmed missions, and some other stuff.

#37 ldb

ldb

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:26

For what it’s worth the single player enthusiasts are looking to relive a part of history, not just to simulate flying the aircraft. To that end, I suggest two areas to expand ROF, humanity and delayed gratification.

For additions to humanity, I propose several changes. The first is a body in the cockpit, with the appropriate British, French (complete with red trousers), German, and US flying uniforms. This suggestion also opens up sales opportunities in personal packages. To make it more immersive, make it a body that can mount and dismount the aircraft. Even when flying with external views turned off, it a body in the game would allow a player to dismount the aircraft after landing and inspect damage inflicted during battle (or landing!). .

Reputation management would also enhance the experience hugely. I propose a moving average of last 5 sorties based on 1) mission accomplishment (victory or failure), 2) survival of wingman, 3) damage to aircraft (no points off for battle damage, but a penalty for pilot inflicted damage). Ground or air target destroyed would be bonus points that go into the average. Above some good average, things happen like being able to transfer to a squadron and choosing a custom paint scheme.

More diverse fates would also ass to the humanity. Medical stays should be longer (5 days for a hit from a 7.92 mm round is not realistic) and there should be some possibility of being medically retired. Both battle and crash injuries should count toward that. There could also be some provision for going missing and being returned to the original regiment.

As has been said before, zero time at career start for all squadron members is unrealistic. I suggest flight time varied at random around 17 hours, the average flight time on the Western Front. Gunners and Observers should have names. All should have faces.

There is something that no other flight sim has, a crew chief. A chief hand propping the propeller on engine start would be very cool. Equally, it would be great to have that chief marshal aircraft in to parking.

Finally, I’d like the ability to create a custom biography for a character.

Delayed gratification would enhance the reality of the game. You have to live long enough to get the confirmation. Each combatant had standards, as seen in this excellent Wikipedia entry “Aerial Victory Standards of World War One.” I place of real information, I would make it some random number of days between 3-21 days.

Kill confirmation could be done through a post mission report. To count, the kill would have to have been made, have been claimed, and it would have to meet the nation-specific criteria for the nations listed in the article.

Medals/decorations would also be enhanced by delaued gratification. I would put it in a post mission remark that one is up for a medal, then award it some time later. Perhaps an addition would be some citation to accompany the medal.

I didn’t mean to give this much change with my two cents. Immersion in history would be a great addition to the career mode of the game. The graphics and flight models are already beautiful. I don’t need to cite this game in research, but the greater immersion in history the better.

#38 jeanba4

jeanba4

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:53

I don't think so, unless this was a mission type that they flew.
Historically, it is very likely, as well as close air support and vehicle attcks (during the 1918 offensives)

#39 M.H

M.H

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:12

I know this has been mentioned before but , how about the career missions revolve around our position instead of the flight leaders .

#40 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 26 July 2013 - 18:15

I know this has been mentioned before but , how about the career missions revolve around our position instead of the flight leaders .

Assuming you mean the issue of when other planes despawn, then +1 for sure. It seems like it should be a fairly simple tweak to change the existing algorithm ever so slightly, just to substitute a reference to the player's plane instead of the flight leader's plane.

But then again, lots of things seem simple when you don't have to do the work :)

Hopefully this will turn out to be the sort of low-hanging fruit/easy ones they could sneak into an upcoming update without much trouble, but I won't be holding my breath.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users