- - - - -

Skin-Sharing-Tool

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 longarth

longarth

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:27

Hello,

my new skin-sharing-tool is now ready for the community. You can find it on http://www.rof-tools...haringTool.aspx">http://www.rof-tools...haringTool.aspx (http://www.rof-tools.de">www.rof-tools.de). It is a easy webinstaller (upper left corner).

Have fun & S!

#2 Masaq

Masaq

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:02

Nice work - but again, no x64 combatability? Stops responding every time I load it.

#3 longarth

longarth

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:26

yes its tested on xp, xp64, win 7, win 7 64 bit. (vista is the little brother to win 7 and runs also). by problems, please, watch your firewallsettings.

you must wait a little bit. i use no extra ports. the sharing runs over a normal http protokoll (80, 8080, 8081). easy using but a little waiting ;)

greetings

#4 Masaq

Masaq

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:37

Ah hah, that *IS* a long time before the folder selection dialog becomes responsive!

Is there going to be any limit on how many skins go on that database? It's just there are around twenty on it already - at 5mb each. It only takes fifty people each uploading a personalised skin for their favourite four planes and you've got a full gigabyte of extra skin sat on your hard drive.

Nice bit of work though, if the size issue doesn't become too much of a problem could be rather helpful to a lot of folk :)

#5 longarth

longarth

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:39

thats the first step. it works. the next step is to using a zipped transfer.

#6 Masaq

Masaq

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:50

thats the first step. it works. the next step is to using a zipped transfer.

The total diskspace of the unzipped files once they're in the RoF directory will still be rather large, though.

Either way, as I say - it's a great little tool and all twenty of the skins you're hosting are currently making their way to my machine :)

How do we submit new skins for inclusion, by the way? Musicman has made some crackers that I'm sure would be very popular.

#7 longarth

longarth

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:58

in the moment send your skins to me: longarth(at)homedrome.de

clanleader can register on rof-tools.de and i give the rights to upload of skins over a special access webform (in the moment only in german language, translation are in progress). every clanleader can upload 7 skins for every planetyp (7 x planetyp).

i give the special access only to trusted users from the community.

greetings
longarth

#8 Masaq

Masaq

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:10

Okay, thanks for that info.

If you let me know when you're able to set up clans with access and if you trust T&T sufficiently, I'll hold the keys for our skins.

Regards (and again, nice job!)

Masaq

#9 longarth

longarth

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:16

in the moment send your skins to me: longarth(at)homedrome.de

clanleader can register on rof-tools.de and i give the rights to upload of skins over a special access webform (in the moment only in german language, translation are in progress). every clanleader can upload 7 skins for every planetyp (7 x planetyp).

i give the special access only to trusted users from the community.

greetings
longarth

please send me your login name on rof-tools.de over email (longarth(at)homedrome.de). i give you the access. you are trusted for me.

#10 Chaos

Chaos

Posted 26 October 2009 - 23:51

Fantastic Idea!!

#11 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:04

Indeed, this is splendid!

#12 flapping-brown

flapping-brown

Posted 28 October 2009 - 14:04

thanks,works a treat.
flapping-brown and the others

#13 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 29 October 2009 - 20:54

Tried it last night and it works brilliantly!

Pity you have to take every skin that's up there (I could do without Dart's Silly Kitty logo) but there's no requirement you actually use them all.

A major step forward!

HT

#14 flapping-brown

flapping-brown

Posted 29 October 2009 - 23:24

ooooh just had a couple of blue screen failures…..something about memory management i think it said……..well i did alter my virtual memory amounts to the reccomended perhaps thats whats wrong…also think said to remove recently added software,perhaps the new skins have upset my pc ? any ideas …..will try game tomorrow see if it reoccurs.
flapping-brown and the others.

#15 NickM

NickM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 23:34

Is there any way to select skins? I don't need the squad ones, but some of the historical ones are good. Is there any way to preview and select just the ones we want?

Cheers,

Nick

#16 WWBrian

WWBrian

Posted 29 October 2009 - 23:36

Pity you have to take every skin that's up there (I could do without Dart's Silly Kitty logo) but there's no requirement you actually use them all.

A major step forward!

HT

….sure you want that one! You want to be able to SEE his kitty when he flies it, to give you something to shoot at….right? :shock: :lol:

But that's right, it doesn't mean you have to use the skin.

#17 Masaq

Masaq

Posted 30 October 2009 - 00:35

A major step forward!

HT

….sure you want that one! You want to be able to SEE his kitty when he flies it, to give you something to shoot at….right? :shock: :lol:

But that's right, it doesn't mean you have to use the skin.

Exactly - the whole point of the tool is that it synchronises the list across all clients and makes those skins safe to use online if your opponents are also using the tool.

Anyways, what's wrong with Hello Kitty? It could be argued that I have no more right to fly McCudden's SE5 or MvR's D.III than I have to wear their uniforms. Historical skins are lovely from a realism point of view but for some, they'll always feel uneasy masquerading as an identifiable historical figure from behind their safe, warm, PC screen :)

Besides, humorous skins are a gentle reminder to people to not take themselves too seriously ingame :)

#18 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:19

What are the proper names for all the folders we should make for the planes to download into? Mine seems to get hung up on the phalzd3. So an idea or maybe a legend on the proper names would be awesome, thanks.

#19 MattM

MattM

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:23

These are the correct folders:

albatrosd3
albatrosd5
breguet14
dfwc5
fokkerd7
nieuport17
nieuport28
pfalzd12
pfalzd3a
se5a
sopdolphin
spad13

#20 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:25

Awesome I hope that helps everyone wanting to know besides me. Hope it cures my phalz hangup :). Thanks again

you know my big problem :) I spell pfalz (phalz) hahahaha

Also how do the skins instal to Rise of Flight. I loaded the game with the sharing tool running and I had my same skins.

#21 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:41

Also how do the skins instal to Rise of Flight. I loaded the game with the sharing tool running and I had my same skins.

Click the "Manual Check" (bottom right), it then checks for which skins you have. When the list appears click the "sync" button (bottom left) and it will download them all to your game, will take some minutes depending on setup.

In the future when you run it, do the same thing. Planes with a grey background will be new (un-synched with your system) and ones you already have will have a green background. You do not need to start the game from the sharing tool for them to work, just have them synched before game launch.

@HotTom, I do tend to agree. (but I think the "Skeleton" DVa is more immersion killing then the Hello Kitty, if you haven't seen it… look) I don't mind skins that are personal and not historical for online, but I do like them to conform to a sense of "would have/could have existed in 1917 - 1918" plausibility in design.

However, the point of this tool is not to be a handy way to get skins we want, but a way to ensure everyone has everyone else's custom skins in a Multiplayer environment. For us to pick and choose our favorites for single player environments we really need an "IL-2 Skins"-like site. Anyone got the free time, money and inclination? lol

#22 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:59

What is the name of the folder or file it creates? I looked in my graphics skins folder with all my planes listed. I did the manual check then sync and it went through all planes and nothing apeared in the folders. I was curious if it just downloaded them all in one big lump and you had to sort them out manually.

#23 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 30 October 2009 - 13:08

\Rise of Flight\data\graphics\skins

I have an individual .dds for each, sorted in folders by plane name.

:D

#24 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 30 October 2009 - 13:30

I have folders as well set up but is the download one big zip file I have to unzip then sort or does the download automatically sort into their named folders? Because if it does something is not working with mine. It manually checks goes through the sync process but nothing apears in the appropriate folder. Nothing in the sopdolphin folder, nothing in the spad13 folder, nothing. So I want to know is what and where is this downloading to. I cant read the language the website is in so if there is a troubleshooting section I cant read it. I am running windows 7 64bit.

Do I have to be online playing, or can I use them in single player as well?

#25 longarth

longarth

Posted 30 October 2009 - 16:43

Masaq"]Ah hah, that *IS* a long time before the folder selection dialog becomes responsive!

Is there going to be any limit on how many skins go on that database? It's just there are around twenty on it already - at 5mb each. It only takes fifty people each uploading a personalised skin for their favourite four planes and you've got a full gigabyte of extra skin sat on your hard drive.

Nice bit of work though, if the size issue doesn't become too much of a problem could be rather helpful to a lot of folk :)

Salute,

datattransfer is now for new uploaded skins compressed. for every skinuploader (its a securityrole) now the skin as .zip in the skinlist. dont worry, thats normal. you load up a dds file and see listed a zip-file. the user download the skin in old school bei clicking "check" and than "sync" or starts directly with rof over the buttom "start" (no updatecheck!!! but with sync befor start rof). its a simple tool. one click for all ;)

Longarth

#26 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:45

I still cannot figure this out. I run the program, I have individual folders properly named for skins. I run the manual check, then sync and nothing. No skins in any of my graphics\skins folders with plane names. This seems like a very good tool but I cannot impliment it.

#27 NakedSquirrel

NakedSquirrel
  • Tester

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:32

If you have Vista, you might want to check and make sure the program is running in Administrator mode. (I just turned the feature off through control panel. The program was having trouble getting skins from sync to my game folder)

#28 longarth

longarth

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:28

If you have Vista, you might want to check and make sure the program is running in Administrator mode. (I just turned the feature off through control panel. The program was having trouble getting skins from sync to my game folder)

salute!

interesting, actually the program with system-right should run and thus always function. thanks for this reference too uac.

reference to all users: tested on xp (32,64bit) + win7 (32,64bit)

longarth

#29 J5_Rumey

J5_Rumey

Posted 31 October 2009 - 15:33

Salute!

Ok uploaded historical J5 skins to tool

7 Alb dva
2 Fokker dvii
2 Fokker dri
2 Pfalz diiia

Also sent you 12 more historical j5 alb dva skins in the mail.

In the works

4 more fok dri (will upload as they are done)
2 more fok dvii (will upload as they are done)
6-10 Alb diii (will upload and maybe send by mail)
10-15 Alb dva (will send by mail)

then i will be done with j5 skins might hit jasta bolcke next

#30 flapping-brown

flapping-brown

Posted 31 October 2009 - 17:30

further to my blue screen failures…..the new patch arrived,download failed many times best was 30% downloaded….all sorts odd things happened failed to post on forum etc…..chkdsk keeps coming on on start up and now cant defrag my main harddrive as it sez chkdsk is scheduled to run on it …it isnt though very odd.
eventually i wondered if it was the skin sharing files [which had worked fine] that was the problem.
so i removed them same ,wouldnt download new patch,
in desperation i uninstalled and reinstalled rof it and after long time updating the original disk it worked…then bought the new planes so now am up to date .was an epic for a muppet pc user, now only this chkdsk thingy to sort out!
i like the skin sharing idea but scared as hell to incorporate it again what can anyone say ,in otherwords am i alone with this dilemma?
gheoff
flapping-brown and the others.

#31 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:05

The skins still do noy load for me. Do they create a folder or a zip file or what? They sure dont load to the appropriate folders the skins get put in. Do I need to load into a multiplayer game to get them, or does it download them from that tool. I cant run in administrator setting because there is no option to do so. I will try disabling my virus protection maybe there is a firewall preventing the download.

#32 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:20

Please whomever made this please help, I have synced this thing 5+ times. Is this saving something to a folder or what? Am I downloading crap to some place I cannot find it? I cannot read any of the direction and nobody seems to know anything. Can somone give some step by step directions? Also can somone say if this thing saves as a file somewhere. I dotn want to keep syncing with the thing if it isnt going to work and keeps downloading nothing. This seems like a decsent tool but tech support seems a bit lacking it seems you either get it working or you dont.

#33 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:27

The only thing I can think of if it is downloading but you are not getting the skins in game, or even seeing the files in the folders, is that you don't have the Skin Sharing Tool pointing to your RoF folder correctly.

Under the "Settings" tab, is the path to your game correct? If not there is a button to browse to it.

#34 [Fr]Vylsain

[Fr]Vylsain

Posted 01 November 2009 - 20:15

That tool is very good but I have a question.
When I update my skin folder, it installs the new skins but it also delete my personnal skins.
I would like to keep my skins when I update the tool,is it possible?

#35 von_Fuchs

von_Fuchs

Posted 01 November 2009 - 22:59

S!

Just start the skin sharing tool and synchronize. So you get your skins with the correct namiing back by downloading them.

#36 longarth

longarth

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:13

Vylsain"]That tool is very good but I have a question.
When I update my skin folder, it installs the new skins but it also delete my personnal skins.
I would like to keep my skins when I update the tool,is it possible?

The Tool save the costume / not shared skins in a backupfolder for every planetyp. This is a workaround for stable working. You can move your custom skins manually back. I implement a rollback in one of the next versions.

Salute
Longarth

#37 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:57

Longarth, it seems that when this tool is installed the names of the default skins are not appearing properly.

For example, in a clean install (no skin sharing tool) Collishaw's Camel skin is listed as:
No.203 Squadron Maj.R.Collishaw

But with the Skin Sharing tool installed it is listed as:

Do you have any idea why this would happen, and is there any way to prevent it?

The tool is great, this is not a criticism. It is something that would be nice to have fixed up however.

#38 longarth

longarth

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:21

Longarth, it seems that when this tool is installed the names of the default skins are not appearing properly.

For example, in a clean install (no skin sharing tool) Collishaw's Camel skin is listed as:
No.203 Squadron Maj.R.Collishaw

But with the Skin Sharing tool installed it is listed as:

Do you have any idea why this would happen, and is there any way to prevent it?

The tool is great, this is not a criticism. It is something that would be nice to have fixed up however.

Yes i know. Thats since the last Update. I put the new files in in the evening on my server. The SST works with the language-files.

Greetings Longarth

UPDATE: All languages are now supported. eng, rus, ger, fra, spa

#39 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:18

Thanks for the update!

#40 [Fr]Vylsain

[Fr]Vylsain

Posted 03 November 2009 - 21:58

Thx longarth! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users