Photo
- - - - -

Co-Op Corner Missions & Feedback Thread

• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

#121 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 12 July 2013 - 18:18

Killed a couple of cane spiders the other day, and a 4" centipede. The Gekkos are laying down on their job!

#122 oneeyeddog

oneeyeddog

Posted 13 July 2013 - 17:11

I would like to give it a try, but the server is password protected.

#123 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 13 July 2013 - 17:12

password is coop

#124 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 13 July 2013 - 17:56

Hey folks - I've been working with Requiem on setting up an extra server running these coop missions, 'cause I can leave mine running most weekdays so it can be up when his server isn't available (or is full).

I've got it up now (or at least, it says it's up), but I haven't tried running a server before so I'm not sure if it's working, and I don't know how to check it myself from in-game while I'm running the server.

I'd appreciate it if some folks could check in-game and let me know if they can see my server on the list and can join.

Thanks,

Panther

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#125 oneeyeddog

oneeyeddog

Posted 13 July 2013 - 19:32

Panthercules, I do not see your Server on the list @ 3:30 EDT.

#126 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 13 July 2013 - 19:48

Panthercules, I do not see your Server on the list @ 3:30 EDT.

Thanks for trying - it's been up and down a few times for testing and fixing glitches. It's up now, and I can see it when I go in game on my other account, but when I try to join it myself I get a file transfer error message.

Can you maybe try it again and see if it works for you?

Thanks,

Panther

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#127 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 13 July 2013 - 19:55

Saw the server at approx. 3:50 EST but got the below error when I tried to enter it …

Attached Files

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#128 oneeyeddog

oneeyeddog

Posted 13 July 2013 - 19:56

Panthercules, it is now on the list however when I try to join I get the '10017' error.

#129 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 13 July 2013 - 19:57

Yeah - that's what happened to me :(

Back to reading the manual to try to figure this out - will be down again for a while until I figure it out - thanks.

#130 oneeyeddog

oneeyeddog

Posted 13 July 2013 - 20:02

Happy to help.

#131 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 13 July 2013 - 21:07

OK - I think I found the problem (the list file for the mission was looking for a .jpg file that's no longer included in the mission D/L package from Requiem). I fixed that and just tried it, and it let me in OK.

I'll leave it up and running for a while - if anybody else has any problems with it, please let me know.

Side note to Requiem - can you maybe consider tweaking these missions a bit to include at least a couple of 2-seaters, in case someone would like to be a gunner? My TIR is broken so I'm not flying as pilot at the moment - I would have liked to join as a gunner but realized that the mission that was running (Stop the Commander) only used scouts.

#132 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 13 July 2013 - 21:12

Good fun today (even if I never saw a horizon :? )!

Suggestion to all who want to join: Come up on TeamSpeak IRFC Channel. It's a good place to meet (and if you don't have TS, get it. It's free!).

As we switched servers a couple of times, you would have no idea what was going on without voice coms (TS).

Thanks, Req.

#133 oneeyeddog

oneeyeddog

Posted 13 July 2013 - 21:32

Yes it was fun today. The Address for the Teamspeak IRFC channel is ts3.riseofflight.net:7777 and the password is 1917 in case anyone needs it.

#134 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 13 July 2013 - 22:26

Is it even possible to join a coop mission as a gunner? I went in to test my server while it was running the Halberstadt mission, and although there were a couple of 2-seaters in the mission I could not see any way to join as anything but a pilot - didn't seem to present a chance to join as a gunner.

Also, does the server operator have to be around to monitor or interact with the server or can you just leave it running on its own for several hours?

#135 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 13 July 2013 - 22:42

Hi Panther,

There are two ways of joining as gunner:

1) fly a plane; get killed or finish, then you are able to join as gunner.

2) wait until game is in progress ( do not enter lobby) and then enter. Then you can join as gunner. Downside: your faction is "neutral", which is not a problem if you do not care about stats.

@req: Syndicate is happy to host coop corner missions for you on Saturdays. Then the whole day you can run a dedicated server. Only need to provide missions and organize a time to meet :).

#136 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 13 July 2013 - 23:10

Is it even possible to join a coop mission as a gunner? I went in to test my server while it was running the Halberstadt mission, and although there were a couple of 2-seaters in the mission I could not see any way to join as anything but a pilot - didn't seem to present a chance to join as a gunner.

Also, does the server operator have to be around to monitor or interact with the server or can you just leave it running on its own for several hours?

You can leave it running but it probably won't get much use. Unless a group of people get together and decide to use it.

It pretty much has to be a semi-organized event with folks showing up at about the same time.

It also works best with a specified Teamspeak channel where players can meet up (since we don't have a lobby) and get organized.

#137 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 13 July 2013 - 23:18

Panther, I'll add an extra two seater per side, but I want to try and do it with a catch. I'm not going to script anything for these two seaters that will allow them interaction as AI, so if no real pilot takes one I'll see if I can trigger them to despawn somehow. I'll make the adjustments and post here when I've updated all the mission links.

Also, to test a gunner position in MP you will need one other person to pick an aircraft get the mission started while you wait in the lobby area as Vander said.

BTW - These missions don't need to be restricted to Co-operative mode on a server. You can actually open them in the mission editor, change the game mode to "single," and then you can save it in the /missions folder and play them from there using the "missions" selection in the RoF hangar screen. The only catch to doing this is you would need to edit the "player" position of an aircraft. That's how I do some fast small scale testing before I let them loose on you guys.

Vander, Quax's server will be unavailable for a few weeks, so if SYN is able to help out on Saturday's in the interim that would be great :)

#138 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 13 July 2013 - 23:43

You can leave it running but it probably won't get much use. Unless a group of people get together and decide to use it.

It pretty much has to be a semi-organized event with folks showing up at about the same time.

It also works best with a specified Teamspeak channel where players can meet up (since we don't have a lobby) and get organized.

Yeah - I'm sure you're right. I just figured that most weekdays while I'm at work I could leave my PC and server up, so any folks who wanted to could get together and use it for testing or fun or whatever. My plans don't let me count on making many of these scheduled events, but I'm away from my PC for 10 or so hours per day during the week (typically about 9am-7pm ET USA weekdays) and if people could get some use from leaving the server up in those time periods then that would be great. Just a thought.

Do you get any stats from the server that would let you tell whether anybody is actually using it, e.g., if I left it up for a week would I be able to figure out if it was getting any use?

#139 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:06

Also, to test a gunner position in MP you will need one other person to pick an aircraft get the mission started while you wait in the lobby area as Vander said.

We also discovered you can't gun for an AI pilot. It has to be a human flying the plane. (At least I couldn't… :roll:)

And you need at least two human pilots or the mission won't start.

The past few Saturdays have been fun.

You shudda been there. :mrgreen:

#140 Quax.

Quax.
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:38

What upload do you have Panther ? I was astonished the Gotha mission used 3 MBit/s for 7 players.
If you have a connex with more than 5 MBit/s, it would be nice, if you could host the next Saturdays.

#141 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:27

What upload do you have Panther ? I was astonished the Gotha mission used 3 MBit/s for 7 players.
If you have a connex with more than 5 MBit/s, it would be nice, if you could host the next Saturdays.

Unfortunately, my upload isn't very good - I think it's supposed to be more, but in tests it's hovering around 1.5 Mbps (usually about 15-17 down). I'm going to check to see how much more it might cost me to get a plan with a faster upload.

I did see a few folks (only about 4) using my server earlier tonight before I shut it down - would be good to hear from them as to whether there were any problems, but it sounds like mine wouldn't likely be strong enough for any large groups unless I can get my ISP plan changed.

#142 JG1_Vonrd_J10

JG1_Vonrd_J10
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:30

We just flew the Halberstadt mission on Panthercules server with several of the NFF guys (great flying with you guys BTW)… ~S~

The server worked well, although one pilot had a ping of about 160? (as I recall) and wasn't able to join. Is there a ping limitation loaded on the server? I forgot to load FRAPS so I don't know what my framerates were but everything seemed smooth.

The other big problem, and both Oneeyedog and HotTom had the problem in the Gotha mission this last weekend, is that some pilots have very little or no visibility in the night missions. I could see fairly well (realistic to a starlight night). This will be problematic and will need to be addressed for the night missions to work and to attract players. I'm not sure if it's a settings or a hardware problem.

An idea I had would be to start the mission as an early, pre-dawn mission which would get lighter as dawn arrived. Not sure if this is possible and is probably not historically accurate for a bombing mission.

Still… all involved were enthusiastic about the Coop missions and thank you Requiem for all the work that you've put into them.

~Salute~

#143 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:40

I think it depends on the monitor. I had the RoF gamma cranked up all the way and couldn't see the ground or the horizon (you may have noticed I flew into the ground several times :oops: ).

I suppose I could have cranked the gamma setting (the brightness setting already is 100 percent) on my monitor up higher but then I'd have to reset it after that one mission and that really is a nuisance. :cry:

Glad to see folks are flying Panther's server. I really would like to see Coops become a success.

#144 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:43

I checked and there's no ping limit set in the server config file. When I went in to check it toward the end of the session I saw all four of the players who were on at the time had pings in the 50-60 range, give or take a few.

I'll have my server up pretty much all day tomorrow (probably about 9am to at least 7 pm ET USA), in case anybody wants to try some more.

#145 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:34

Vander, Quax's server will be unavailable for a few weeks, so if SYN is able to help out on Saturday's in the interim that would be great :)

Req and others,

I'll setup the co-op server on the Syndicate machine this week (I'm away on holiday next week). I will just call it Co-Op Corner if that is okay and make sure it starts on Saturdays. We have enough bandwith and processing power so that shouldn't be a problem.
We need to sort out how new missions can be deployed. For now it will be easiest to post them (as well) on our forum (http://www.syndicate...wforum.php?f=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.syndicate...wforum.php?f=11)so someone with admin rights in our squad can upload and deploy them.

What are the desired server settings? no loadout lock I assume? External views?

I hope you guys keep the thread alive and organize people so they flock to the server at certain times. It's the only way to keep this going!

#146 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:21

We just flew the Halberstadt mission on Panthercules server with several of the NFF guys (great flying with you guys BTW)… ~S~

The server worked well, although one pilot had a ping of about 160? (as I recall) and wasn't able to join. Is there a ping limitation loaded on the server? I forgot to load FRAPS so I don't know what my framerates were but everything seemed smooth.

The other big problem, and both Oneeyedog and HotTom had the problem in the Gotha mission this last weekend, is that some pilots have very little or no visibility in the night missions. I could see fairly well (realistic to a starlight night). This will be problematic and will need to be addressed for the night missions to work and to attract players. I'm not sure if it's a settings or a hardware problem.

An idea I had would be to start the mission as an early, pre-dawn mission which would get lighter as dawn arrived. Not sure if this is possible and is probably not historically accurate for a bombing mission.

Still… all involved were enthusiastic about the Coop missions and thank you Requiem for all the work that you've put into them.

~Salute~

Cool stuff Vonrd :)

The night time thing has to be a settings issue, most likely monitor calibration. There are other things as well, such as if they have the map on. The map is really bright so that ruins your vision looking at the dark screen, there could also be too much light in the room they are playing in which would make it impossible to see anything on a dark screen. I fly in that Gotha mission with 20 gamma and SweetFX on, but I have zero problems seeing things. As a result I don't need to change any settings between flying in daylight or nighttime in RoF. I originally had that mission at 2200 or 2300hrs, but there was no moonlight so I moved it forward a couple of hours to give some extra light to the map.

#147 oneeyeddog

oneeyeddog

Posted 15 July 2013 - 13:19

Good to fly with you too Jg1 Vonrd! As Vonrd mentioned Ive had a tough time seeing in the nite missions. Not only can i not see the ground or horizon, but I'm even unable to see the wings or rigging of the AC i'm flying. In game I turned the gamma setting up to 100% and tried adjusting the 'brightness' setting on my monitor to 90% and I had all room lites turned off. Doing these 3 things made little difference. However,other guys had no such problems. If there are any other Monitor, graphics card or in-game settings I could try, please let me know.
Still, I've had a great time flying these Requiem Coop missions and I hope to fly them again very soon. Thanks!

#148 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 15 July 2013 - 13:43

Req and others,

I'll setup the co-op server on the Syndicate machine this week (I'm away on holiday next week). I will just call it Co-Op Corner if that is okay and make sure it starts on Saturdays. We have enough bandwith and processing power so that shouldn't be a problem.
We need to sort out how new missions can be deployed. For now it will be easiest to post them (as well) on our forum (http://www.syndicate...wforum.php?f=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.syndicate...wforum.php?f=11)so someone with admin rights in our squad can upload and deploy them.

What are the desired server settings? no loadout lock I assume? External views?

I hope you guys keep the thread alive and organize people so they flock to the server at certain times. It's the only way to keep this going!

Cheers Vander! Since it is only testing at the moment, for server settings I've attached the .sds file which has the testing settings I want to use. Obviously you can change the description/name, client count, or whatever else is needed, but those settings are what I use.

Don't worry about downloading the missions yet though, I'm in the process of adding the two-seaters and will post when I've updated the original links so they can be used this weekend.

Attached Files

#149 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 15 July 2013 - 13:51

Good to fly with you too Jg1 Vonrd! As Vonrd mentioned Ive had a tough time seeing in the nite missions. Not only can i not see the ground or horizon, but I'm even unable to see the wings or rigging of the AC i'm flying. In game I turned the gamma setting up to 100% and tried adjusting the 'brightness' setting on my monitor to 90% and I had all room lites turned off. Doing these 3 things made little difference. However,other guys had no such problems. If there are any other Monitor, graphics card or in-game settings I could try, please let me know.
Still, I've had a great time flying these Requiem Coop missions and I hope to fly them again very soon. Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback oneeyeddog. Maybe try flying with the map off and see if that helps? Did you also have visibility problems with the Halberstadt Mission? That mission is supposed to be set during dusk, so it is still pretty light outside.

I find it odd that some of us have such problems flying at night. It must be a monitor thing though.. I'm on my laptop at the moment at Uni and the image I took on my gaming PC looks much darker. I can't even see the second Sopwith Pup in this image, but on my gaming PC it is very clear.

How do you see it on your monitor?

Attached Files

#150 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 15 July 2013 - 14:03

Why do things have to be so exotic, requiem? If you're trying to build a coop server the missions should not have things like darkness, rain, etc.

#151 Laser

Laser

Posted 15 July 2013 - 14:16

Why do things have to be so exotic, requiem? If you're trying to build a coop server the missions should not have things like darkness, rain, etc.

Why not, if that's what he likes? After all, "requiem" and "darkness of the night" go hand in hand.

#152 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 15 July 2013 - 14:19

I think the reason to host these co-ops is exactly that: to be able to fly more diverse/realistic (exotic in your opinion) mp missions than what is currently on offer with the dogfight servers!

#153 oneeyeddog

oneeyeddog

Posted 15 July 2013 - 14:24

Hi Requiem. On the image, enlarged, I just see several faint points of light.
The gamma and monitor setting adjustments I made were while flying the Halberstadt mission. Some guys could see well enough to do aerobatics while I had trouble distinguishing up from down. I compared my in-game graphic settings with JimTm, who had no problems seeing,and the only real difference is that I have supersampling enabled. i use a pretty good Asus monitor and a good graphics card. Maybe a 'oneeyeddog' should stick to being a gunner at nite!

#154 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 15 July 2013 - 14:35

To be fair Gav, so far I have done 1 night mission, 1 dusk mission, and 2 daylight missions. It's not like I plan on making more missions based at night time. I just thought using a Gotha raid against England was a rare opportunity to experience night fighting in Rise of Flight with searchlights and all, so why not take advantage and show it off? When was the last time anyone flew a true night mission in MP? Night missions just don't work for dogfight servers because there is no real organisation. Everyone would just fly around aimlessly in dogfight mode at night time, but I believe Co-Op is a different story because it is just one big focused engagement with known action points and expected enemies.

A rain mission might be possible, but I haven't looked into any possibilities when they either took off, or encountered rain conditions while on a mission. Using airstarts you could always just simulate flying into an area that has rain, instead of realising that the rain is everywhere…

I'm not as experienced as someone like Vander in using the ME, so these missions are really just a way for me to learn it more thoroughly by trying to do something unique each mission. Besides that though, variety is the spice of life after all :)

#155 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 15 July 2013 - 14:39

I think the reason to host these co-ops is exactly that: to be able to fly more diverse/realistic (exotic in your opinion) mp missions than what is currently on offer with the dogfight servers!

Flying in the dark or the rain was not a common thing for scouts. It might be diverse, but one kind of weather or another is not more realistic. Rainy and sunny days both happen pretty regularly in the real world. ;)

#156 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 15 July 2013 - 14:54

Flying in the dark or the rain was not a common thing for scouts. It might be diverse, but one kind of weather or another is not more realistic. Rainy and sunny days both happen pretty regularly in the real world. ;)

Duh, I was assuming it was a bomber mission, not a scout mission!

I was in Hendon, RAF museum yesterday and it has on display a great Fe2b replica in black camouflage. Let's hope we can use it soon for a proper night bombing mission!

#157 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 15 July 2013 - 16:16

~Salute~

Cool stuff Vonrd :)

The night time thing has to be a settings issue, most likely monitor calibration. There are other things as well, such as if they have the map on. The map is really bright so that ruins your vision looking at the dark screen, there could also be too much light in the room they are playing in which would make it impossible to see anything on a dark screen. I fly in that Gotha mission with 20 gamma and SweetFX on, but I have zero problems seeing things. As a result I don't need to change any settings between flying in daylight or nighttime in RoF. I originally had that mission at 2200 or 2300hrs, but there was no moonlight so I moved it forward a couple of hours to give some extra light to the map.

I don't know that much about Gothas but the Handley Pages only flew when there was a full moon.

They must have had monitor problems on dark nights, too. :mrgreen:

What is odd to me is that I have flown night Home Defense missions in PWCG and if I pushed my Gamma in Rof (usually at 20) up to 100, I could see the ground just fine. In your mission, it didn't help.

I'm going to fly a couple more PWCG night missions to see if I can figure out the difference.

#158 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 15 July 2013 - 16:23

Jeeze, gav, give it a rest.

What req is doing is still very much in the testing stage. Why do you test stuff? To see if it works? To see what the limits of possibility are?

Night bomber missions are hardly "exotic," they were very routine in WWI. This was a night bomber mission with Home Defense fighters (yes, they flew at night, too) trying to intercept. We were just trying it out and providing feedback. Some of us couldn't see the ground, others could.

You didn't participate (everyone was invited and it's been going on for a few weeks now), so you should not run your mouth when you don't know what you are talking about. :roll:

We'll be testing again next Saturday. It's sort of an Open Beta. Join us! Then you'll know what you're bellyaching about! :mrgreen:

:S!:

HT

#159 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 15 July 2013 - 17:42

HT and Oneeyeddog, I'll experiment with the mission tonight and see if I change it to a full moon. It might have something to do with the date I have set as the Gotha mission is a quarter moon I think.

Gav, if you are unable or unwilling to use the ME then feel free to suggest any scenarios for a co-op mission and I'll try to make it.

#160 oneeyeddog

oneeyeddog

Posted 15 July 2013 - 18:01

Thank you. I'll let you know the results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users