274 replies to this topic

#41 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 26 June 2013 - 21:04

I'll give it a try, too.

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#42 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 26 June 2013 - 22:06

I like the idea of not being able to rejoin after you die/crash out or whatever, although it might be nice if a "dead" pilot could be able to come back in as a gunner if there are any open slots in the multi-seaters (i.e., slots still manned by live AI gunners, not as a replacement for a previously killed gunner). Don't know if that's technically possible or hard to set up.

Personally, I also like the idea of new players (who haven't already been in that mission) being able to join during the middle of the mission, although I understand that might be a bit disruptive if there isn't some reasonable and appropriate way for the new guy to get the gist of the situation from a briefing or something before they join in (but it seems like for most missions that wouldn't be all that hard to do, although the randomized nature of things might make it a bit tougher I suppose). Off-hand, I don't see any reason why a late-joiner to a coop mission would be any more inclined just to strike out on his own in disregard of his flight's plan than any other coop player who happened to have been there from the start - sure, it could happen, but it could happen with one of the starters as well, and the response could presumably be the same (some sort of kick/warning/sanction by the flight or faction leader) whether it was a starter or a newcomer. It seems more likely to me that a newcomer, even (or especially) if they didn't get all the nuances of the plan from whatever pre-joining briefing there would be, would probably just stick that much closer to his flight leader as the best hope for completing the mission successfully. I suspect that's how the actual briefings would have gone IRL anyway, at least some of the time; i.e., the flight leaders would probably be pretty fully briefed by the squadron commander, but the individual flight members might only get a boiled down, abridged version from their flight leader and the new guys would probably just be told something like "stick close to me and try not to get into trouble".

Unless there's going to be a lobby to meet in and so many coop missions running that if you miss the start of one you'd be able to join up in another one within a reasonable time period, it seems like constantly logging in only to find that you've just missed the start of a mission and have a long wait ahead of you is likely to drive a lot of the more casual players (in terms of those with limited or hard-to-schedule playing time) away from the coop servers.

I also like the idea of being able to stick around and spectate after you've died/crashed out or whatever. If you've invested a lot of time flying the mission only to come to grief before the end, I think it would be nice to be able to get a feel for how the mission turns out the rest of the way. However, it would be good if this could be done in some limited way (which probably isn't technically ot practically feasible) that would prevent the sort of "ghosting" problem that's been mentioned in other posts. I find the concept of in-flight, in-mission communication via teamspeak or whatever to be "bad" enough in terms of historical immersion and the effect on the battle experience, and the thought of it happening via such ghosting by dead pilots seems even worse to me. I'm sure I'm in the minority in this regard, but if there were any technical way to enforce it (which I'm sure there isn't) I'd love to see a ban on voice comms during missions or some way to make voice comms audible to everyone in the mission so they could be used for friendly, non-mission-related chatting if people wanted to do that to fill in the down times during parts of the missions but people (and server masters) could detect and sanction any inappropriate, mission-related chatter. Forlorn hope, and getting pretty OT, so I'll end that little rant there.

Anyway, I hope the tests for this can be scheduled during a time I'm available - I'd love to try it out.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#43 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 26 June 2013 - 23:01

We're arguing (debating?) about something that doesn't even exist (yet). :o

#44 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 26 June 2013 - 23:07

Unless there's going to be a lobby to meet in and so many coop missions running that if you miss the start of one you'd be able to join up in another one within a reasonable time period, it seems like constantly logging in only to find that you've just missed the start of a mission and have a long wait ahead of you is likely to drive a lot of the more casual players (in terms of those with limited or hard-to-schedule playing time) away from the coop servers.

When RoF was released, there was pretty much just one server: Tides Of War.
Logging in to find a mission was just starting wasnt an issue because it would only be 10 minutes or so until the next mission loaded.
That's one bonus to having shorter mission times (15 minutes max). 30 minutes is too long IMO.
I knew when I'd be flying for an hour, that I'd be able to fly 4-5 missions (often a mission would end early as all opposing forces would be eliminated), which was great fun.

As for voice comms, meh. Leave it up to the honor or lack of it to the pilots. If my opponents want to tell their living pilots where I'm at, super.
It was never a problem in the ToW days, whether people helped the currently flying pilots or not. Dont want someone to tell you anything? Just tell them you want to finish the flight without any help. Easy. Voice comms actually made the experience that much more fun.

Generally the missions were designed for about 1-2 minutes of flight leading up to the engagement. After that it was dogfighting and then observing the dogfight if you got downed.

#45 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:31

I've made some revisions to "Stop the Commander".

Changed the planeset to SE5s and Dolphins.
Wrote the briefing in HTML (with better instructions for the older folks amongst us ;))
Added a lot more cameras to the map for people to use when they are dead so they can watch the action. I'll be making a quick test server tomorrow to see how these work with "no spectators" enabled.
Changed the colours and icons on the map to be easier to see.

I want to start working on a historical one next, so any suggestions of scenarios for what you want to see in a mission are welcome. I'm not a WWI history buff like many on here, so I'd rather get ideas from you guys first instead of getting it wrong and needing to fix it later. I was thinking Camels, Dolphins, maybe 1 or 2 DH4s, vs Dr1s, Albatros, and Halberstadt CL.IIs.

Entente's primary objective is region defense, so they need to spread themselves out a bit to account for the various positions Central may get assigned to attack. Entente's secondary objective would involve the DH4, such as a recon objective or arty spotting. (I don't know how to do arty spotting or recon missions yet, so I'll look into how to do that).
The Central side will have several bombing objectives possible (eg. factory, airfield, encampment) as a primary, while other flights could get assigned a secondary(eg. bridges, transport columns, arty positions). Pretty straightforward really.

Again, the goal is to keep it maximum of 30mins, but if this ends up being too long for a mission then I think airstarts might be the way to go as that would cut down on time and the risk of people crashing on takeoff. Anyways, first test of the "Commander" mission is this Saturday, 29 June at 2pm CST. I'll have a co-op server called "Co-op Corner" running the 16player version on my personal machine as I have no access to a server.

#46 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:03

Thank you, Req!

2 pm CST or CDT?

And, did you update the download in the original post?

#47 O_Smiladon

O_Smiladon

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:22

s!
Thats around 0200 for me here in New Zealand..

Any chance of knocking it back maybe two hrs?

Cheers

O_Smiladon

#48 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:49

Unfortunately, it looks like the scheduled time will be right in the middle of a family birthday party, so I'll probably miss this test, but I'll try to catch the next one.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#49 hq_Peter_Zvan

hq_Peter_Zvan

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:48

I like this idea - will try to join.
Really enjoyed some Co-Ops with some J2 and IRFC guys years ago.

#50 SYN_DerHesse70

SYN_DerHesse70

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:20

I will try to be there. Thats at 9pm CET.

#51 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 27 June 2013 - 15:35

Thank you, Req!

2 pm CST or CDT?

And, did you update the download in the original post?

Whatever US Central Time is this time of year… lol
I use this site http://wwp.greenwich...a/central-time/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://wwp.greenwich...time.com/time-z … tral-time/
I haven't uploaded the changed version yet as I'm about to load my server and check it out myself. If I'm happy with it I'll upload it today.

s!
Thats around 0200 for me here in New Zealand..

Any chance of knocking it back maybe two hrs?

Cheers

O_Smiladon

I'll see if I can. Ie - Need permission from the Minister for War and Finance as I don't know if we have to do anything Sat morning/lunch. I can always just leave the machine running the map regardless and turn up at 2pm.

#52 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 27 June 2013 - 18:12

Original version deleted. Updated version is now in the first post.

#53 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 27 June 2013 - 18:39

Hi Requiem, co-op missions are my cup of tea. I don't care about getting personal points or ranking, but I love to focus in a well defined objective that the team must achieve to win.

Would like to test your mission, but I'm unable to find the link at the first post?

#54 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 27 June 2013 - 18:41

Hi Requiem, co-op missions are my cup of tea. I don't care about getting personal points or ranking, but I love to focus in a well defined objective that the team must achieve to win.

Would like to test your mission, but I'm unable to find the link at the first post?

Sorry, the edit didnt seem to work properly. Its up there now :)

#55 O_Smiladon

O_Smiladon

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:03

Cheers mate

No worries if you cant , I just might need some assistance to keep awake ;) if you know what i mean..lol

O_Smiladon

#56 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:05

I've updated the link in my post on the first page, so it now points to a JSGME-ready mod to install the latest version posted by -Requiem- in his first post, just in case anybody finds that useful.

#57 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 28 June 2013 - 13:52

I've updated the link in my post on the first page, so it now points to a JSGME-ready mod to install the latest version posted by -Requiem- in his first post, just in case anybody finds that useful.
Thanks both, Requiem and Panthercules.

#58 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 28 June 2013 - 18:25

so, what will the server be called?

#59 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 28 June 2013 - 18:47

so, what will the server be called?

Read the last sentence of Post #45

#60 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 28 June 2013 - 19:11

Ok thanks!

#61 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 29 June 2013 - 00:47

Hi all, here is the final revision before tomorrow. The distances involved in the previous area exceeded the capabilities of the SE5 and Dolphin in the given timeframe, so I relocated the scenario to a different area with shorter distances and there is now a much better chance to finish the mission before it times out.

I'll be running the server called "Co-Op Corner" tomorrow at 2pm US Central time, but if something comes up then I'll start the server earlier and post in this thread to say so before I leave it running. Look forward to seeing you there, I hope you guys enjoy it and have fun! :D

Mission is uploaded to first post.

#62 1PL-Sahaj-1Esk

1PL-Sahaj-1Esk

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:23

I will be around … sounds interesting

kpt. pil. / Capt. Sahaj / Operations Officer / 1. Eskadra Mysliwska / 1. Pulk Lotniczy / http://www.1pl.boo.pl

bannerf11esks.png?raw=1

http://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com

#63 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 29 June 2013 - 19:10

Server is online.

#64 JG1_Vonrd_J10

JG1_Vonrd_J10
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 19:17

Getting a 10019 unable to connect error

#65 JG26_lee45

JG26_lee45

Tried to get in but I keep getting,unable to connect to game server.

#66 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Minor hiccup. Local IP address changed on me, but I fixed it now.

#67 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 29 June 2013 - 19:42

Can't find it in the list? Or am I too late?

#68 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 29 June 2013 - 19:42

My connection dropped out completely. Dont think the ISP likes me uploading data, so Quax is starting a server momentarily. Keep an eye out Vander, we are on RoF TS if you want to join us.

#69 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 29 June 2013 - 19:43

Thnx

#70 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 29 June 2013 - 19:45

I'm just thinking out loud here (and I haven't even discussed this with the squad!) but if we can find a specific day/time in the week for co-ops, I'm sure Syndicate would like to help host it.

Mission editors can then upload their co-op missions and we can run them. Sort of like we had with "Early War Wednesday".

If there is a decdicated crowd for this, it can be quite fun, specially if the mission are randomized as your example.

#71 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 29 June 2013 - 19:52

That would be good Vander. HotTom is hosting it at the moment as we weren't sure how to make the dedicated server working for Co-op mode. Its back online now.

#72 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 29 June 2013 - 19:59

The mission is now running on a dedicated server called "Quax server"

If you get a file transfer error download the file here

https://dl.dropboxus...nder! (16p).zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://dl.dropboxus...ntent.com/u/327 … 16p%29.zip

#73 LordNeuro_Srb

LordNeuro_Srb
  • LocationNovi Sad/Serbia

Posted 29 June 2013 - 21:29

Nice mission Requiem. I m only sorry i jumped to late. Manage to play 1 mission but it was fun.
:S!:

#74 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 29 June 2013 - 21:29

Thanks to all of you who turned up to fly it today! Hope you enjoyed it :) Be sure to leave some feedback for anything you would like to see so I can change it and keep those ideas in mind for future missions.

I'll continue work on the latest mission next week (It's going to be a Gotha raid at Dusk).

#75 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 29 June 2013 - 22:03

It was great fun! Thanks to all!

A couple of recommendations:

1. Separate voice channels for each side. And some folks need to exercise commo discipline (translation: STFU). It's a tactical net, not a party line.

2. If you take a leadership slot, lead. Of you take a follower position, follow. I had a leader (no names), and I had no idea what he was going to do. No one was calling out contacts. No one announced they were engaging. Then, in another go-around, I was a leader and my one human wingman took off ahead of me and never formed up. Never saw him again. He didn't have Teamspeak, which should be required.

3. Turn the external views off. Folks clearly were checking external views to see the status of other aircraft and ground units. I was, too…. :mrgreen:

Other than that, it was a really good first mission. Very enjoyable!

HT

#76 SYN_DerHesse70

SYN_DerHesse70

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:07

It was great fun! :S!:

Thanks Requiem.

Next time i will join with team speak for more communication. For me it was the first co-op so i had to learn some things.

Keep up the good work.

I will come again.

#77 Quax.

Quax.
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:12

Sorry for the external views HotTom. I was rushing to get the mission running and didn´t spend the time to care for the server settings :(

#78 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:59

Sorry for the external views HotTom. I was rushing to get the mission running and didn´t spend the time to care for the server settings :(

No problem. We're just learning this Coop stuff and I'm really, really glad Req is making Coop missions.

Thank you for jumping in and hosting.! :S!:

I'm going to take a look and see what I have to do with my router ports. I think that's why no one could connect with me when I tried to host.

Looking forward to doing more Coops.

#79 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 30 June 2013 - 16:19

Hi Req,

Here is a bunch of co-ops I hosted earlier on Syndiate. They are "snapshots" of real missions. This means everyone starts in the air, just before things get interesting.
The mission duration is very short (I think 15 mins) but that is easily changed if you go into the "Mission Logic" group and change the "Mission Duration" timer.
The nice thing about air starts is that you can use interesting scenery on the map since you don't need to fly for 2 hrs to get there.

Feel free to use or edit or ignore :). It would be nice if they were randomized as well, ie have different objectives.

Btw, anyone can use them on their own machine as a "single mission" if you want to.

Attached File  syn coops.zip   376.58KB   15 downloads

#80 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 30 June 2013 - 17:31

Thanks for those missions Vander. I've downloaded the zip and will see what I can do in them. I'm interested in getting recon/arty spotting missions working, but that will probably wait until the mission after. I'm going to try and get a bombing mission correct in the next one (which is utlising air starts for Central).

HT - I believe you need to open ports 48000 and 480100 to let people join.

I'm glad everyone who participated enjoyed it though, hopefully we can expose more people to the game mode in the following mission next Saturday. You get clear objectives and guaranteed quick engagements, whats not to like? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users