• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 WWDubya

WWDubya

Posted 23 June 2013 - 17:04

Roland C.II, Crude Camoflage

Get it from Here.

Sources:
WINDSOCK DATAFILE 49 (courtasy of rOEN911)
Page 10

http://www.theaerodr...fin-fische.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theaerodr...com/forum/aircr … ische.html
For a rather (…ahem…) healthy discussion on what colors where actually used on the "Walfisch." A very good and entertaining read! Since the experts on the subject matter (Roland C.II colors) disagree – quite emphatically – on several points, it is my conclusion that "nobody" today really knows!!!

As such, I have decided to create two skins for the same aircraft… One in a predominant yellow tone, and the other using the light blau base. Do note this is an early RC.II production batch, which in real life had the old aileron control configuration and rounded roll-bar, as seen in the photo insets.

Click image for larger version

Enjoy!

#2 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 23 June 2013 - 18:03

Dubya,

Nice skins. Hey what font is that you used in the screens there? I kinda like it.

Jason

#3 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 23 June 2013 - 18:10

Yes! A sure thing, Sir! :S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#4 Shutter

Shutter
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 23 June 2013 - 18:44

Dubya,

Nice skins. Hey what font is that you used in the screens there? I kinda like it.

Jason

Jason,

I think it's "Hobo Std".

Dubya,

Great Skin!!

#5 WWDubya

WWDubya

Posted 23 June 2013 - 19:13

Dubya,

Jason

Glad you all like! "Hobo Std," as Shutter indicates. Dunno where I got it though; from some free-fonts site.

#6 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 23 June 2013 - 21:55

Thanks for your effort to recreate two versions. Excellent work again and also good choice of a very interesting paint scheme.

#7 Bayonet

Bayonet

Posted 25 June 2013 - 00:19

Another impeccable reproduction DubDub! How there can be a constant,single no voter to all the outstanding and well documented historical examples you create, is beyond me. That continuous no-voter, is obviously extremely envious of your talents, his flaccid retort, a no vote. I get schadenfreude at his pitiful existence.

#8 elephant

elephant

Posted 25 June 2013 - 15:01

Looks great, as always…
My only remark would be that the "streaking" on the fuselage,
seems to be on the opposite direction and not so angled, in the reference pic.

#9 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:34

Looks great, as always…
My only remark would be that the "streaking" on the fuselage,
seems to be on the opposite direction and not so angled, in the reference pic.

I agree with elephant, I only noticed after having a second look.

#10 WWDubya

WWDubya

Posted 26 June 2013 - 23:47

Yeah, see it now, and I stared at it for many hours before posting. (insert face-palm) A case of getting too 'close' to the subject matter, I guess (trees and forest)???

What I see in the photo is that it is not the streaking so much as it is the fuselage construction under the pigment-and-varnish treatments. In my template, I've mirrored the canvas covered wood strips on both sides, so they both slant forward-top to rear-belly. I'll have to check my construction resources more closely to see how the fuselage sides where actually married. I had read that they built the port and starboard sides separately, then fused them together top and bottom. I didn't catch if they constructed each side as a mirror, or if they flipped the strips so when the sides were affixed to each other it would create a kind of visually continuous spiral effect. It is possible that construction techniques varied between batches or plants??? I'll dig around and see if I can't come up with an answer to that.

In the meantime, I'll let this poll go as is. Thanks for the eagle eyes, Elephant!

#11 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:07

Poll concluded; thread locked.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users