- - - - -

Rise of Flight: Channel Battles Edition coming soon to Steam

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Zak_1CGS

Zak_1CGS

Posted 11 June 2013 - 15:31

Dear Pilots,

Since its original release 4 years ago, Rise of Flight has won hearts of thousands of WWI aviation fans and has been showered with some great awards and recognition. Thanks to constant support of our players we keep on working on the game's content and its essential features bringing them the best WWI flight-sim experience ever. Today we're pleased to announce that Rise of Flight will soon be available on Steam. This means more players from all around the world can take part in the most realistically re-created air battle experience of the First World War on their PC.

Rise of Flight: Channel Battles Edition is the most comprehensive edition of ROF yet released. ROF:CBE includes the Channel Map, ten flyable aircraft, a special mission-set for the Channel Map specifically designed for the Steam version. ROF:CBE also includes all the core features of Rise of Flight which includes a Quick Mission Builder, Single Missions, Three Campaigns, Pilot Career and Multiplayer modes of gameplay. Whether a new virtual pilot or a veteran, there is something for everyone!

In addition to the main game, we will also release several DLC content packages that include additional flyable planes, field modifications, weapon modifications and personal pilot items like scarves, streamers and pistols. These DLC packages are to be released simultaneously alongside the Channel Battles Edition. This will give new Steam users the ability to rapidly set their Rise of Flight content up-to-date. Thus, we give Steam players the freedom to purchase any additional content without delay from the release date.

It should be noted that the release of ROF:CBE on Steam will have no impact on the operation of ROF for existing non-Steam users. Also, Steam users will be able to fly with you in ROF multiplayer servers. We know that the existing ROF community will make new Steam users feel welcome!

Stay tuned to the RiseofFlight.com news section and community forums for more info on the Steam release. And join us in the ROF Steam community to stay in touch with WWI virtual pilots from all over the world.

Sincerely,

The ROF Team

#2 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 11 June 2013 - 18:41

Thanks for the great news!

#3 Pip2

Pip2

Posted 11 June 2013 - 18:47

Wow! Very cool! But just to make sure the game will be fully operation without steam? And all DLC (not necessarily the deals or bundles but the content)will be available separately as well?

#4 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 18:55

As we said above, the Steam version has no impact on non-Steam version. Add-on content will be offered in a different way on Steam than here to simplify things. Our store here will continue to operate in the same manner.

Jason

#5 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 11 June 2013 - 19:00

That looks like a good plan Jason!

#6 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 11 June 2013 - 19:21

Can I buy an account on steam and use my old profile there?

#7 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer

Posted 11 June 2013 - 19:25

No sorry you cannot. Even Steam version will be using our User Account back-end. Steam is just a sales portal for us, not a full fledged Steam DRM title.

Jason

#8 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 11 June 2013 - 19:34

Congrats. Seems like a good step forward. Never thought I'd see the day.

#9 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 11 June 2013 - 21:15

Nice to see we're staying with your own DRM (rather than a steam exclusive monopoly-type deal).

Hopefully it will bring some new players and help fund development.

Congrats.

#10 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 June 2013 - 21:17

Spag, P. resistant umbrella in hand, applauds and shouts Bravo!!.

Cheers,
Spag. :)

Bite off more than you can chew.

Then chew like Hell ! ! !

#11 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 11 June 2013 - 22:39

Very good. Millions of potential customers there. Hope you get a decent cut for sales. Come to think of it, if a Steam customer wants to cut out the middle man and buy content direct from the RoF store, will they be able to do so?

#12 Dressedwings

Dressedwings
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 11 June 2013 - 23:03

Hm.. any possibility you will also have the F2P version up on steam? As an 'unlimited demo', that users who have purchased ICE can use to log into? It would be nice to start logging hours I can see :D

TOeIhAe.png

^CHECK THE LINK^

#13 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer

Posted 11 June 2013 - 23:04

Steam will not have a F2P version.

Jason

#14 Dressedwings

Dressedwings
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 11 June 2013 - 23:05

Damn. Aw well.

TOeIhAe.png

^CHECK THE LINK^

#15 diomedesbc

diomedesbc

Posted 11 June 2013 - 23:09

This is awesome. I use Steam a lot and have come found great games because of Steam. Lots of potential pilots!

#16 Hooves

Hooves

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:01

Man this is cool!!! I forsee the skies being filled with pilots I might actually be able to shoot down!! For a couple days at least.

#17 thenorm

thenorm

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:10

No sorry you cannot. Even Steam version will be using our User Account back-end. Steam is just a sales portal for us, not a full fledged Steam DRM title.

Jason
So if someone buys ROF on steam, and starts the game, would they not be able to log in with their forum account details?

#18 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:43

So THIS is what you and the crew have been working on :D
I was hoping something was up, and that Han and the boys hadnt all moved on to BoS.

Congratulations on your success Jason! (and RoF!)
I hope this proves very lucrative for 777 studios, and of course that the polishing of RoF will continue for quite some time to come.

#19 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:23

Huge congrats to 777!!! :S!:

On a side note … wouldn't NOW be a good time to de-beta the career mode?

#20 neha

neha

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:24

Hello folks,

I am a new RoF enthusiast. Actually I heard about this awesome game yesterday. I had just bought IL2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover, which is a very nice WW2 flight sim. But I felt a bit disapointed with its linear storyline campaign mode. Then someone at the Steam forums mentioned RoF, and I rushed to this site to check up on the buzz. After a while looking around I found that big red Download button, like cheese in a mouse-trap. A while later I found myself flying like a virtual bird. This game hit a sweet spot, the amount of love put on this piece of software is admirable.

Sorry for the long talk… the thing is that I have some doubts about what is the most convenient way to invest my money, while I complete the fantastic tutorial. I think I have three options:

• Buying a copy of the Iron Cross edition I found on a third party online store on sale (around 20€). And complement that with the addons in this store.
  • Upgrading the free version by buying any extra content here.
  • Waiting for the Steam version and buy it there. I am a Steam user too, and lately I use to buy everything there because its services make a gamer life easier. How tight is the integration with Steam? Only sales as per the post above? Update service? All available DLCs or only some?

Summarizing, if you want to eventually experience everything RoF has to offer, which option would you choose?

Thank you,
neha

#21 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:37

Hi neha, welcome to RoF!

It's a hard question to answer right now. We don't know all the details on the Steam deal, yet. Especially, how expensive it will be.

The ICE package has always been a good deal. Keep in mind, though: it only contains fighter planes. You might want to invest in a broader range of content (two-seaters/bombers, channel map, field or weapon mods). For this, the edition that is going to come out on Steam seems like a good package. But we don't know how fair the price will be, yet.

You can also purchase everything seperately from the store. If you buy a number of similar items at the same time, you get a discount. But if you're going to purchase different things, like I suggested above, you will have to pay for them seperately, and you'll miss out on the discount, as unfortunately the RoF online store does not have a shopping basket.

Sorry I can't give a very clear answer!

You can already add your Rise of Flight to Steam, though: 'add games -> add non-steam games -> browse -> find rof.exe in the bin_Release folder and add it.

This way, when you start RoF through Steam, you get the Steam overlay functionality….and while you're running the overlay, your joystick inputs should still work.

#22 neha

neha

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:04

Thank you for your comments, hq_Jorri. So far I am more inclined to wait for the Steam release and decide then, when we have all the info.

Cheers.

#23 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:17

That's probably the best you can do, in the meantime you can still enjoy the free to play edition.

#24 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 12 June 2013 - 14:18

And I would add that the Steam conection has bought in one new pilot(at least) and it's not even up and running yet!

#25 AirBoRnE[HUN]

AirBoRnE[HUN]

Posted 12 June 2013 - 16:22

Great news,
I always wanted to have the game on my steam account, recording my gaming hours etc, but it would be way better if we could activate our existing rof cd keys on steam, or to transfer the planes somehow to the other account, otherwise it would be kinda stupid in my opinion to buy every plane and pack again, just to get the steam "overlay", or maybe just I'm not a millionaire here.

Airbyy

#26 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 12 June 2013 - 16:29

"]Great news,
I always wanted to have the game on my steam account, recording my gaming hours etc, but it would be way better if we could activate our existing rof cd keys on steam, or to transfer the planes somehow to the other account, otherwise it would be kinda stupid in my opinion to buy every plane and pack again, just to get the steam "overlay", or maybe just I'm not a millionaire here.

Airbyy

You can get the steam overlay even without having RoF on steam officially. Just add the ROF.exe as a non-steam game, voila!

#27 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 12 June 2013 - 17:58

Thank you for your comments, hq_Jorri. So far I am more inclined to wait for the Steam release and decide then, when we have all the info.

Cheers.

In answer to the steam or non-steam versions, I think the non steam version has the best options:
complete and immediate access to everything RoF has to offer.
Steam will have packages, but from what I read so far, it doesnt seem that you can just add one mod or one plane, etc.
Seems to me that mods that work with RoF, may have issues with steam…?
If so, then non steam RoF (NSR) is the CLEAR winner, as mods added to the sim are a MUST.

#28 Hellbender

Hellbender
  • LocationMadrid, Spain (originally Brussels, Belgium)

Posted 12 June 2013 - 18:56

The Channel Map. A hint at the Hanriot HD1. Steam. FM reviews?

It's official, the end times are upon us.

J5_Hellbender

#29 Raston

Raston

Posted 13 June 2013 - 00:15

-Requiem
You can get the steam overlay even without having RoF on steam officially. Just add the ROF.exe as a non-steam game, voila!

That's what we also did. You don't quite have the benefits that the other downloadable games have though so now maybe that will change.

#30 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:22

:S!: Cant agree more Hellbender The end is in sight. :(

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#31 Zak_1CGS

Zak_1CGS

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:15

Hellbender, this is a wrong conclusion you're drawing. Making the game available in one more digital distribution store is about selling it, not changing the product itself. You might be a bit too suspicious ;)

#32 Hellbender

Hellbender

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:55

I wasn't talking about the end of RoF, but the end of the world.

;-)

Although sadly, that will also mean the end of RoF.

J5_Hellbender

#33 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 13:24

Hellbender, this is a wrong conclusion you're drawing. Making the game available in one more digital distribution store is about selling it, not changing the product itself. You might be a bit too suspicious ;)

I think Bender was referring to past comments about RoF going to Steam and how now that it has, it must be the end of the world (as we know it). Sarcasm perhaps, but this is what I read into it.

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#34 Hellbender

Hellbender

Posted 14 June 2013 - 20:41

I think Bender was referring to past comments about RoF going to Steam and how now that it has, it must be the end of the world (as we know it). Sarcasm perhaps, but this is what I read into it.

You would be correct.

Re: ROF #1 @ Amazon ?

Guys,

Our system is 100% completely incompatible with Steam. Will cost mega bucks to change it and we cannot have two different systems. Second, Steam's policies are very restrictive and we won't be able to manage our add-on content the way we want. So many issues surround Steam that we do not want to deal with or can't afford to deal with.

We'd rather focus on making cool stuff for our loyal customers.

Jason

But don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be cheeky (okay, just a little bit).

I'm genuinely happy, excited even! It shows to me that the team is willing to revert old decisions and defy the impossible in order to cater to the community's needs.

Kudos and more power to them.

:S!:

I'll probably buy RoF a second time on Steam and gift it a few times to a number of semi-simming friends when it goes on sale.

Okay, ahum, well, now that we're on the topic of reverting old decisions and defying the impossible… FM reviews?

J5_Hellbender

#35 Fudge

Fudge

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:26

I look forward to seeing the steam version, though I will stick with my standard version. I don't recall seeing an email with this info though, I'm sure I was getting ones telling me about sales and such.

Just a warning though about the DLC packs, when people see multiple DLC packs on 'day one' they head straight to the forums and moan. Then often wont look at the game again. Even though the game is a few years old, they wont notice that and feel that the content should be within the game to begin with. Not sure how much is set in stone, but maybe release a pack a week until they are all released or something? Since it comes with 10 aircraft to begin with they can surely hold their own online for a few weeks.

It may be worth getting a few more online servers to accommodate for the increase in players.

One last thing, a Xbox 360 / PS3 controller profile built into the game would help get more people straight in.

Good luck with the Steam Venture, looking forward to convincing more people to take a look at the game!

#36 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer

Posted 15 June 2013 - 19:32

You would be correct.

Re: ROF #1 @ Amazon ?

Guys,

Our system is 100% completely incompatible with Steam. Will cost mega bucks to change it and we cannot have two different systems. Second, Steam's policies are very restrictive and we won't be able to manage our add-on content the way we want. So many issues surround Steam that we do not want to deal with or can't afford to deal with.

We'd rather focus on making cool stuff for our loyal customers.

Jason

But don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be cheeky (okay, just a little bit).

I'm genuinely happy, excited even! It shows to me that the team is willing to revert old decisions and defy the impossible in order to cater to the community's needs.

Kudos and more power to them.

:S!:

I'll probably buy RoF a second time on Steam and gift it a few times to a number of semi-simming friends when it goes on sale.

Okay, ahum, well, now that we're on the topic of reverting old decisions and defying the impossible… FM reviews?

This was the reality then and what I said was true at the time. A full Steamworks integration was impossible and cost prohibitive. If we would have done it that way there would have been two incompatible versions of the game. We asked Valve many times to answer our questions about how we could adopt their system to sell ROF. We got no answer or access to their system so we could not test, so we assumed it was not possible and got tired of chasing our tail. When we linked up with 1C we finally could access their system and work with an engineer that knew how to get it done without a complete re-write of our system. So it's now possible. It was a "decision" that was forced upon us by circumstance, not something we just decided we did not want. I will sell ROF and BOS anywhere there are potential customers so long as the portal wants it.

Jason

#37 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 15 June 2013 - 19:43

Go get em Jason!
I foresee a biplane in every garage

#38 Hellbender

Hellbender

Posted 15 June 2013 - 21:54

This was the reality then and what I said was true at the time. A full Steamworks integration was impossible and cost prohibitive. If we would have done it that way there would have been two incompatible versions of the game. We asked Valve many times to answer our questions about how we could adopt their system to sell ROF. We got no answer or access to their system so we could not test, so we assumed it was not possible and got tired of chasing our tail. When we linked up with 1C we finally could access their system and work with an engineer that knew how to get it done without a complete re-write of our system. So it's now possible. It was a "decision" that was forced upon us by circumstance, not something we just decided we did not want. I will sell ROF and BOS anywhere there are potential customers so long as the portal wants it.

Jason

Thanks for clearing that up, Jason.

I really hope RoF becomes a big hit on Steam, you know you can count on the community here to do our part.

J5_Hellbender

#39 GUIGNOL

GUIGNOL

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:41

Jason

Thanks for clearing that up, Jason.

I really hope RoF becomes a big hit on Steam, you know you can count on the community here to do our part.

#40 56RFC-klem

56RFC-klem

Posted 18 June 2013 - 16:32

Does this mean more players in on-line missions? What is the capacity for player numbers?

56RFC_klem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users