Photo
- - - - -

Ambient Front Line Flak Mod

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 29 May 2013 - 00:51

This mod will change the ambient flak along the front lines so it appears to track the POV of the player(i.e., your cockpit view or a spectate view). It will not help you sight enemy planes and it does not do damage. Since the flak bursts are only ambient they have been kept to a safe distance, more or less. The accuracy and intensity of the flak will change depending on the altitude. Ambient flak can reach to about 4500m over the front.

This video shows ambient ground bullet hits at the front. They work, in essence, like the flak does in that they are only cosmetic with no actual damage associated with them. The effect will render the closer you get to the ground, as if soldiers are taking pop shots at you. There are no tracers associated with the effect and, like the ambient flak, they are centered around the player's POV.

Here three more stock ground explosions and a low level of battlefield flak have been added to the front line ambiance.

This video shows Summer/Autumn Front Line trenches which have been colored chalky. Textures for all trenches have been reduced in size too. Bomb craters have been made invisible because of flickering. Includes all the mixed Ambient Front Line Ground Explosions and Front Line Flak set for mild intensity.

Everything was tested in Single Player with 'Mods On' mode! If you have any questions or suggestions, or are interested in tweaking the files, please let me know! Thanks!

#2 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:01

Intriguing concept, and definitely worth a shot as an alternative to the mod that removes the ambient flak entirely. Looking forward to giving this one a try.

Thanks for sharing.

One suggestion - it would be helpful if you would put this in JSGME-ready format - would be easier for folks who do use JSGME (and that should be everybody), but it would also be easier for those foolhardy souls who want to install it manually, since it would show them exactly where the file(s) are going to go.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#3 Waldo.Pepper

Waldo.Pepper

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:13

"Flak does not do damage…"

Pray tell wtf is the point of this then?

#4 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:49

"Flak does not do damage…"

Pray tell wtf is the point of this then?
:roll: You're aware of the definition of the word "ambient," right?

#5 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:50

Yeah, I guess it's like the opposite of the Remove Ambient AA mod! I will have read up on how to set things in JSGME format. Thanks.

Sorry Waldo, it's just ambient. Maybe someone can apply damage properties to the emitters one day though!

#6 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:58

Yeah, I guess it's like the opposite of the Remove Ambient AA mod! I will have read up on how to set things in JSGME format. Thanks.

It's actually quite simple - you can D/L this copy of the one I made for my own use from your D/L, and see how it's done (I also added a simple readme (in the "documentation" folder) so the user will see what it is when they mouse over it on the list in the JSGME window, before they activate it):

http://www.mediafire...d_for_JSGME.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mediafire.../download/gazh1 … _JSGME.zip

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#7 Waldo.Pepper

Waldo.Pepper

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:24

I am well aware of ambient. Paraphrasing Edmund Blackadder … ambience for ambience sake with no accompanying consequences is like a broken pencil – pointless.

#8 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:41

Thanks Panthercules! I've got it in the first post!

#9 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:53

I am well aware of ambient. Paraphrasing Edmund Blackadder … ambience for ambience sake with no accompanying consequences is like a broken pencil – pointless.
But don't argue that point here. The ambient flak was already in-game, this guy just modded it.

#10 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:04

Thanks for the mod!

#11 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:14

Nice concept!

#12 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:17

Now I know why we do the spad thread :roll: :S!: Thanks for the mod steppenwolf* will try it. The front can do with some action to make it more like a battle zone and not like a barren mars scape.

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#13 actionjoe

actionjoe
  • LocationNord, France.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:30

Thanks, I will try it. A couple of questions: it only tracks the player aircraft, not the AI? Does it work in multiplayer-and tracks all player?

#14 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:28

I haven't tried it in MP yet. Yes, it will track AI planes at the front as well or any plane you are viewing. The ambient flak seems to be based around the player's POV. Exceptions seem to be the free camera(F11), it will not continue to render around this POV. Any help you guys can give, I'll take. I have to squeeze in testing where I can. Thanks!

#15 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 29 May 2013 - 22:14

Excellent idea for a mod. Thank you. You should try and get it added to the ROF Mods section.

#16 borntoolate

borntoolate

Posted 30 May 2013 - 00:46

The non-ambient flak does a fine enough job of tracking me …
but I will give this mod a try … if the ambient flak now follows AI, it may help in locating the enemy. Thank-you, steppenwolf! :S!:

"We had a strict code of honor: you didn't shoot down a cripple and you kept it a fair fight." Wilfrid May

#17 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:19

I have not described this mod correctly. I will fix the introduction after this. It makes the ambient flak only look as if it's tracking a plane. In reality it is more narrowly focused around the POV of the player, appearing as if it's tracking. If you are 'spectate viewing' an AI plane the flak will be around him, but if you jump back to your cockpit the flak will be around you. You will not be able to 'find' enemy planes by following the flak bursts. Unfortunately, that's how it works. It just makes the front a little different. I apologize for any confusion. On a second note, I've stumbled upon adding ambient ground bullet hits which works in the same way as the flak. I will fix the intro and post the new bullet hits stuff.

#18 Gadfly21

Gadfly21

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:13

Interesting mod, I will try it later.

#19 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:18

Hi steppenwolf, could you say more about these ground bullet hits? That sounds very interesting indeed. Are they tracers from the ground up to the plane?

#20 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:26

Thanks hq_Jorri. I added more info to the first post.

No, unfortunately, the ground hits are fake just like the flak and there are no tracers. Mission makers will have to place more AA for the real thing.

#21 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:38

Hm then I don't know exactly what you mean with ground hits? Do you mean the artillery explosions?

#22 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:04

No, I'm sorry, not the big arty hits. The closer you are to the ground along the front you'll notice small bullet hits peppering near you. Land a float plane at the front and you'll see what I mean.

#23 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:08

Ah, I think it's then something I've never seen before..probably also something that is difficult to notice.

Thanks for the patience to explain it! :)

#24 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:20

You're welcome, sorry myself for not being more clear. You should be able to notice the bullet effects clearly at tree top level. If you are interested in changing visible range I can give examples on what to do. I just wanted to keep things subtle with good performance.

#25 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:28

Is it also possible to change artillery hits, for example to be more frequent? This could be very interesting for certain missions.

#26 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 30 May 2013 - 13:24

If you could make the mission call a specific 'staticexplosions.txt' and 'dummygroundexpl.txt', then maybe. I wouldn't know how to do that though.

This is the arty(see below), it's the first line of code in the 'staticexplosions.txt'. P=0.10 is the frequency of the arty hits. The '500' and '5000' are the nearest and furthest ranges relative to your plane/POV(as far as I can tell). There is also a kind of "border" in which all this will happen. This is in the 'emitters' folder within 'dummygroundexpl.txt'. It is Visualradius=(enter number here). Essentially, you could use these four settings to make it look as if an offensive was going on if your plane kept a certain course. The center point is the plane you're flying/spectating and not the section of front you're flying over! Again, the mission would have to call the .txt though. Would be cool! Also, these effects happen only over the front. It would cool too if they could be placed in other spots around the map.

[Emitter]
P=0.10
Object="LuaScripts\WorldObjects\Emitters\DummyGroundExpl.txt"
WaterObject="LuaScripts\WorldObjects\Emitters\DummyWaterExpl.txt"
Alt=0…………………………………………………….altitude.
Range=500,5000
[end]

Ambient Arty, flak, and the ground bullet hits respond to these same settings.

#27 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 30 May 2013 - 13:30

Hm it would be possible I guess only if for a specific mission,every participant installs the specific files that come with that mission (perhaps using JGSME), and for another mission they will have to replace them with different files, or the default (remove them?).

Concerning the border: are there no explosions at all outside that border? And can you have different borders?

#28 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 30 May 2013 - 16:07

As far as I know, none at all. With the flak, that's how I made it appear as if it's around the player(by limiting visual range in the dummy text). Then I set specific intensities and accuracy by altitude within the staticexplosion.txt.
Concerning multiple borders, I don't know. The border is like a sphere around the player which the ambient things don't happen outside of.

#29 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 30 May 2013 - 16:56

OK, I think I get it! Cheers!

#30 Red-Piano

Red-Piano

Posted 30 May 2013 - 18:25

Excellent, maybe one day you can get it to track enemy planes so it can be used for spotting.

#31 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 01 June 2013 - 16:08

I added more variety to the ambient ground explosions. With this mod now there can be four different explosions at the front. If you want to adjust the intensity, look for the 'P=' settings within the 'staticexplosions.txt' for explosions sml, med, lg, and big. Adjust higher for more arty hits, lower for fewer. This way you can adjust things to your liking and rig demands!

#32 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 01 June 2013 - 21:59

Is there an ambient artillery remover?

#33 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 01 June 2013 - 22:05

Yes, try setting the P= to '0' with 'DummyGround…' or setting the ranges to 0,0. I haven't tried it actually though.

#34 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:14

If you want to keep all the new ground effects, but also have the stock ambient flak try this:

DL Trench Textures Ambient effects

Find the 'emitters' folder. Find 'dummyairexpl.txt'. Open. Change Visualradius to: Visualradius=4.0

Copy and paste the following in your 'staticexplosions.txt' file exactly:

Class_name = "CStaticExplosions"

RenderID=0 //-1 to explode everywhere

[Emitter]
P=0.025
Object="LuaScripts\WorldObjects\Emitters\DummyGroundBulletPassBy.txt"
Alt=0
Range=1,5
[end]

[Emitter]
P=0.10
Object="LuaScripts\WorldObjects\Emitters\DummyGroundBullet.txt"
WaterObject="LuaScripts\WorldObjects\Emitters\DummyGroundBulletWater.txt"
Alt=0
Range=10,250
[end]

[Emitter]
P=0.02
Object="LuaScripts\WorldObjects\Emitters\DummyGroundExplSml.txt"
WaterObject="LuaScripts\WorldObjects\Emitters\DummyGroundExplWaterSml.txt"
Alt=0
Range=100,4000
[end]

[Emitter]
P=0.02
Object="LuaScripts\WorldObjects\Emitters\DummyGroundExplMed.txt"
WaterObject="LuaScripts\WorldObjects\Emitters\DummyGroundExplWaterMed.txt"
Alt=0
Range=300,5000
[end]

[Emitter]
P=0.02
Object="LuaScripts\WorldObjects\Emitters\DummyGroundExplLg.txt"
WaterObject="LuaScripts\WorldObjects\Emitters\DummyWaterExplLg.txt"
Alt=0
Range=400,5000
[end]

[Emitter]
P=0.005
Object="LuaScripts\WorldObjects\Emitters\DummyGroundExplBig.txt"
WaterObject="LuaScripts\WorldObjects\Emitters\DummyWaterExplBig.txt"
Alt=0
Range=1000,5000
[end]

[Emitter]
P=0.06
Object="LuaScripts\WorldObjects\Emitters\DummyAirExplLowGrey.txt"
Alt=10
Range=100,5000
[end]

[Emitter]
P=0.1
Object="LuaScripts\WorldObjects\Emitters\DummyAirExpl.txt"
Alt=500
Range=500,4000
[end]

[Emitter]
P=0.1
Alt=1000
Range=500,4000
[end]

[Emitter]
P=0.1
Alt=2000
Range=500,4000
[end]

#35 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:33

Thanks a lot for the procedure Steppenwolf, you saved me from checking all this to find THE modification to make! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users