Watertower at Rixensart

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HenFre

HenFre

Posted 21 May 2013 - 19:22

Watertower at Rixensart:

Image Image

I have made this model and now I am going to try to texture it. But before I do that I have a few questions regarding the model:

- Can or should I use more triangles? (read somewhere that a model could contain as many as 1200 polygons for special buildings, but does this also mean 1200 triangles?) You can see that my model currently has 302 polygons which converted to triangles in this case make 532.

- Should I make the texture size 512*512? Or can I go as far as 1024*1024 for this type of model?

I would also like to know how to have a look at the models which are currently in game. Is this possible and how??

Best regards

Henrik

#2 Gadfly21

Gadfly21

Posted 21 May 2013 - 20:30

Polygon count looks good to me. If you can make it lower, as you have done, then it is better to do so, instead of pushing the limit. :)

I don't know about the skin resolution, but perhaps you could make it in 1024, and then re-size it to 512. If the smaller one works just fine, then use it instead.

#3 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 21 May 2013 - 20:53

I'll keep repeating myself, but stil: please group objects to use one texture. The devs told me this is important. So don't release one (small) texture per object if you can. Of course, you can always start with a singe texture and later create a big texture that includes the individual textures of different objects, ie from 4 512x512 textures to one 1024x1024 or even bigger. Use xform to transform the uv co ordinates.

Model looks good by the way!

#4 Waldo.Pepper

Waldo.Pepper

Posted 21 May 2013 - 22:16

Looking forward to crashing into her.

#5 HenFre

HenFre

Posted 16 June 2013 - 15:46

Hello again

Been working on the texture which is currently at the resolution of 1024*1024. I will scale it down once it goes into the game engine.

Image Image Image

Could some give me a quick heads up how to create alphas for the model? Need some transparency at the top guardrailings.

Cheers

Henrik

#6 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:39

You need to 'paint' the alpha layer of the texture in the 'Channels' pane in Photoshop (next to Layers tab). See this thread for a basic idea, but scroll down: riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=37900

Different shades of gray correspond to degrees of transparency (black is 100% transparent), so you can also mimic glass, but beware of making windows without internal structure, as you get odd graphics behaviour. Learned that the hard way, eh Vander!?!

There is a texture manual somewhere with more details, but can't find it on forum; it is not on 'useful materials' page (where it should be), or stickied directly, so likely buried in a thread. Go digging.

Your model and brick texture is very nice, good work! Am being constructive here, and perhaps you're not finished, but the concrete could use something other than plain dark gray. Just find good pictures of what you want online (no shortage) and make seamless textures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users