Photo
- - - - -

Version 14.0 Test Version 6 Released

• Please log in to reply
346 replies to this topic

#321 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 08 September 2013 - 21:23

ParachuteProne: just for now, try not running RoF and PWCG at the same time. Start PWCG, create a mission, exit PWCG. Start RoF, fly the mission, exit RoF. Restart PWCG, do the combat report, etc.

I will have lower calorie maps in shortly. Beyond that I cant ry to find other ways to optimize the program.

#322 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 08 September 2013 - 21:24

Sorry. I'm required to watch three NFL games today. ;-)

I hear ya HT. Going to have to limit myself to bits and pieces. Should at least manage the better part of the Giants game :)

#323 gwalch

gwalch

Posted 08 September 2013 - 21:43

Second mission,no problems.
Very first try out tonight got excited and like Parachute prone forgot to exit\re start and had results like his.
Now,everything fine - listen to Pat!

#324 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 08 September 2013 - 23:53

Hi Pat,

What kind of waypoint priorities have you assigned the Fe2b in your latest version? Just doing some testing in the B-career I find that the Fe2b's defensive tactics are hopeless. It needs to be set to engage enemy scouts if it's going to have any chance at all.

#325 Blade_meister

Blade_meister

Posted 09 September 2013 - 00:19

Blade: it usually has to do with how much memory you request from the JVM at start and not how much system memory is available.

Are you using the UI from Ankor? If yes, do you have the latest from the web site? I just posted an update yesterday.

If the problem persists, try running without the UI for the time being. If running only one at a time (RoF or PWCG), shutting down one as you go to the other.

I am going to look at PWCG to try to reduce memory usage. Not always an easy thing to do since reducing memory usage is often counter performance.

Thanks for your help Pat. I also was required to watch 2 NFL games today, much like HT.
1.The memory issue, Is that what is called the Java Wall?
2.I downloaded the latest GUI update for 1.031b from Ankors' thread.
ROF GUI Mod for PWCG Released
3.Downloading the revised version. It still says 14.5, I assume this is the revised version?
4. I will try it out now, with & without the GUI.

Thanks again Sir. :S!:

S!Blade<><

#326 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 09 September 2013 - 00:22

I just uploaded another version at 7:20 CDT. This one has low cal maps. They look good - in fact the Channel map looks much better (finally figured out how to scale something that was given to me long ago. That should resolve memory issues for the foreseeable future.

#327 theMoxy

theMoxy

Posted 09 September 2013 - 00:38

Yay!!! =) Thankyou Patty Pat…it works great now! God, i love your adjustment from ACTUAL flights, to simulated until you wander within range of them - it sped up everything sooo much! Brilliant. PWCG now runs faster than the career mode for me.

14 test 5 seems like a solid piece of art at this point already. Very nicely done! You've really raised the whole experience by quite a margin with this latest incarnation.

#328 ParachuteProne

ParachuteProne

Posted 09 September 2013 - 00:39

I just uploaded another version at 7:20 CDT. This one has low cal maps. They look good - in fact the Channel map looks much better (finally figured out how to scale something that was given to me long ago. That should resolve memory issues for the foreseeable future.

You are fast !

That did the trick.

#329 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 09 September 2013 - 00:47

Hey Pat - does this mean that we don't need to have the maps from the D/L link on your web site with this latest test version, or do we still need those maps?

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 65.jpg

#330 Blade_meister

Blade_meister

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:10

:lol: I just got done testing the last one and washahving lock ups in the GUI Mission Screen, but this was much better than the first 14.5. I will DL and test this one and see what happens. :S!:
Edit: Was playing around in PWCG GUI and if you stay in there long and look at a few of the options, Journal, Squad Journal,Intel, Map, it gets slower and slower and finally will basically lock down. I think if you just go in generate the mission, check pilot statis and accept all is well. I didn't actually have time to run a mission though. Pat something is still amiss though. It is not optimized like the 14 series was as far as GUI. Going back to 14.1 I think, as it seemed good. No more time tonight, time to pay the bills. :lol:

S!Blade<><

#331 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:09

Hey Pat - does this mean that we don't need to have the maps from the D/L link on your web site with this latest test version, or do we still need those maps?

You don't need the separate maps with this download.

#332 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:14

Wow, I love the flak, Pat! The explosions are thick around the enemy two seaters.

Also, I'm seeing spawn messages about other flights as subtitles with your latest test version. In general the GUI doesn't seem very stable. I seem to get about 10 button pushes before it freezes up.

#333 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:18

The subtitles get removed when 14 is no longer a test version.

Sounds like you are having the same issue as Blade Meister. Any additional info to recreate the problem is helpful. I just started PWCG and hit every screen. It grew to 1.5 GB but did not lock or crash. There is nothing that I can think of off hand that should make it any less stable than previous versions, but no doubt something is there.

#334 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:25

Seems to do a little better when I set it to run as administrator. I can't prove it, but clicking on the pilot profiles seems to hang up the GUI. I'll report again if I see something specific.

#335 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 09 September 2013 - 18:40

Gav, I think that it is a "straw that broke the camel's back" thing. It is not any one thing but rather an accumulation. Where you are when that last straw is piled on is where it dies.

I will upload another release tonight. All JPGs are scaled down (GIMP batch is a wonderful thing) to about 20% of their previous size (in bytes, not pixels). I cannot see any noticeable degradation in quality with the scaled down images.

A bit of computer talk here - No matter how much I do with the images Task Manager always shows about 1.3 GB memory used. Meanwhile my profiler shows significant reduction in heap, especially in allocation to byte arrays which is what image loads resolve to. Having a hard time reconciling the two. Hoping that the profiler is right and it is the JVM grabbing memory and not PWCG.

#336 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 09 September 2013 - 19:54

AAR: (With a copy to Gav since I'm using his new Mods):

I'm running 14.0 V5 alone (13.1 is copied as a backup on my desktop) and I'm letting each version overwrite the older version as we go along (if that makes any difference). Used AnKor's GUI and it worked fine.

On the control panels, I went to change a few settings and it worked but very slowly. Seems to be approaching an overload for my CPU is my non-geek guess. I tried again running PWCG as administrator and noticed no difference. It kind of hesitates when I give it a command.

Fe2b 4 July 1916, 23 Sqn RFC at Le Hameau: Mission ran smoothly. I decided to attack a balloon that was very close to my route and my gunner refused to shoot at it. It was not a mission objective but it definitely was German. He just pretended it wasn't there (passive-aggressive I guess) and my AI wingmen wouldn't shoot at it either. I don't know if this is PWCG or Gav's Mod or all of the above or none of the above.

I engaged an E.III and my wingmen actually descended to help me. Don't know if this is Gav's Mod at work but that hasn't been happening until now.

My gunner still can't hit much. Finally chopped off one of the E.III's wings but never hit the pilot or the engine or the fuel tank despite a huge expenditure of ammunition. I'm not sure that can be fixed.

#337 LordNeuro_Srb

LordNeuro_Srb
  • LocationNovi Sad/Serbia

Posted 09 September 2013 - 20:34

Maybe 1 day HotTom when Pat campinge cann be played in coop mod and u cann use a human guner and iven squad mates to to fly on mission and campinge with all progres and all pilots wisobol in squad page. Pat make a miricale :D

#338 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 09 September 2013 - 21:10

Actually, you can produce Coop missions with PWCG.

#339 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 09 September 2013 - 21:45

Version 14.0 Test 6
Fixes for Test 6
Made PWCG start with more heap memory in the JVM
All JPGs use lower resolution. They are now 20% the original size with no noticeable quality loss.
Better channel maps
Fixed a bug where the campaign screen would not reset properly after an error.
Small change to make mission creation more efficient.

For those interested in the technical details.
There are now two jars: RoFCampaign.jar and PWCG.jar. RoFCampaign.jar has been turned into a small pass through that starts PWCG.jar with some extra memory for the JVM. PWCG.jar has the actual contents. I had to do it this way because third party programs count on RoFCampaign.jar being the entry point. This change should not be visible and requires no user action. RoFCampaign.jar remains the starting point for PWCG.

The size of the graphics was not the whole cause of the problem although it certainly did not help. The new images were simply resaved at a lower JPG quality level resulting in a huge reduction in size. I can't tell the difference in PWCG. Every JPG, including all of the pilot pics, was redone. There seems to be a noticeable speedup in the UI.

I think that the biggest reason for the memory issue is the virtual waypoints. I am guessing that PWCG has been skating close to the edge for some time now, and VWPs pushed it over. To be honest I thought that I had upped memory some time ago. Obviously I had not. New memory usage starts at 512MB and allows growth to 1GB. Default for a JVM is 256MB, which is too little.

Last, never mind my statement about PWCG being 1.3 GB. That is the size when I launch it in debug mode from my development environment. My bad. On my system I was under 375 MB (which is why it was eventually blowing out a 256MB JVM), so 512-1024 MB should be good for a long time to come.

#340 flightdok55

flightdok55

Posted 09 September 2013 - 22:01

Sorry Pat, but your "Fly Mission" tab in Test version 14.6 is missing again like it was a few versions ago…..not able to fly a mission

#341 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 09 September 2013 - 22:44

Sorry Pat, but your "Fly Mission" tab in Test version 14.6 is missing again like it was a few versions ago…..not able to fly a mission

Good catch. With the pass through it will lose information. That can be fixed.

In the meantime you can create the mission in PWCG and fly it from the mission tab in RoF. It will be there. The "Fly Mission" is a convenience but not necessary.

#342 Shutter

Shutter
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 23:28

Pat,
I tried to download the new GUI for 1.31b and it comes up with the GUI for 1.31. Will that still work?

#343 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 10 September 2013 - 00:53

Pat,
I tried to download the new GUI for 1.31b and it comes up with the GUI for 1.31. Will that still work?

It's the right one. I just didn't change the file name.

#344 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:15

Hi Pat,

No problems with the GUI now.

#345 Blade_meister

Blade_meister

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:17

Pat, you are a Genius. I was just in the PWCG GUI for 20 minutes moving all around through the different areas and all is good. It is working very fast now, Thanks.
1. What is the Edit Map option For?
2. Is there anyway that I can change the Mission Map and Intelligence Map zoome in size? I run ROF at 1776x1000, I know this is a weird resolution but I have tweaked it to give me really good graphics in game, but the most zoomed in Map View in PWCG is still to small for me to read the town names, plus the Mission Way Points are written all over themselves. If I could somehow drop the 2 furthest out views and somehow Zoom in 2 more times, I think it would be big enough for me to see. I am just curious as I have always had this problem with the Map view.

Now that you have fixed the GUI situation, if we could just have the "Fly Mission" button back, us spoiled rotten ROF kids could have our cake and eat it to! :lol:

Thanks for all you do, you take ROF that one extra step with your ever evolving PWCG. :S!:

S!Blade<><

P.S. I know Ii can still fly the missions through the single mission menu, it is just that you have gotten me spoiled with the "Fly Mission" button. :roll:

#346 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:55

Glad that it's working better. I was so sure that it was the graphics and in the end it really wasn't. All the work that I did to reduce graphics size had a couple if side benefits - much faster load and screen transition and much smaller download, so that work was not a waste.

My first attempt at restoring the fly mission button was only 1/2 successful. It's there but the transition back and forth between the game and PWCG is not what it should be. It will get there.

Edit map is for my own purposes. As the name suggests, it lets me edit things on the maps (who owns what, front line position., etc.). Basically, don't go there :). It is not at all user friendly and it can cause harm. Note to self to remove it for the release.

#347 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 11 September 2013 - 22:22

/Thread

Testing is over (except to the extent that every time you run PWCG it's a test :). Thanks all. PWCG 14.0 is now live.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users