Photo
- - - - -

Version 14.0 Test Version 6 Released

• Please log in to reply
346 replies to this topic

#81 33lima

33lima

Posted 04 July 2013 - 19:59

Still getting way too many missions with no visible AA fire, at the front or otherwise. For example, I just led a flight of Albatrosses down the middle of a long stretch of the Lines and all the way back in mid-1918, and the French AA gunners must have been having a wine and cheese evening (in the afternoon, too).

Attached File  2013_7_2__22_16_0.jpg   124.85KB   227 downloads

Plus, the Yanks in this Breguet slipped past our noses, right across the Lines from our side, largely because my own side's Flak gunners had also decided to have the day off.

Attached File  2013_7_2__22_40_5.jpg   101.35KB   227 downloads

Are there any settings I could tweak in PWCG, that would produce (IMHO) realistic levels of AA fire?

#82 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 04 July 2013 - 23:41

Are you using moving or static front? If you are using MF the lines are not necessarily near the mud. Otherwise, ground fire medium should create AAA

#83 33lima

33lima

Posted 05 July 2013 - 22:47

Thanks for coming back!

I started off with 'moving front' but had long since switched back to static as I'm one of those who get confused having the Lines without (trench) lines :)

Ground fire medium…what's that? I have 'Ground unit density' set to medium, 'Structure density' to low. I had a look at other, Advanced Config, settings and fiddled with the one about flak range from flight box - 'AAA distance' - despite not having a clue what it did. Below is what I've got for Advanced Config/Mission ground objects' where most or all of PWCG's flak settings seem to live; I wonder if I have broken something here.

Attached File  PWCG Mission Ground settings.JPG   117.17KB   194 downloads

PS I see that in Advanced config/Mission Limits that 'Max Allied Ground Objects' and Max Central Ground objects' are both set at 6. Seems like a very low number, if that's what 'medium ground objects' produces. If that number includes AA guns, no wonder they are thin on the ground. My system is such that I prefer to do without trains, barges, tanks etc but not AA guns.

#84 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 23 July 2013 - 00:14

Version 13.10 posted

Added more AAA artillery to the front (use AAA medium or higher).
Made AAA around balloons more dangerous by improving AI level.
Added ambient balloons (balloon not assigned to any particular mission)
- Maximum number controlled by air activity.
- Low = 0-1, Med = 0-3, High = 0-6
- First ambient balloon is always enemy. The rest have 50/50 chance of being friendly or enemy.
Made config per campaign.
- Campaign now has a simple and advanced config
- Works same as PWCG level config
- Campaign level comes first, PWCG level comes next, Default comes last in precedence.
- Why? Different campaigns might have very different configs for best play.
Added fires to night missions for airfields - not yet working
Adjust night missions to occur on or around full moons (first mission in a campaign will not do this)

Bug Fixes:
Fixed severe bug that would end commonwealth careers when the transition to RAF happened.
Fixed bug that would cause mission results parsing to become garbled (Type:10 error in logs).
Units are now destroyed rather than crashed in debrief.
Rounded position output to two decimal places to allow for more precise placement of objects
Fixed some bad dates in the squadron file (Thanks Justin)

#85 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 23 July 2013 - 00:22

Pat, I'm not sure if you're aware of this setting but thought I'd mention it as its useful for AA as a "force multiplier." Within the script setting for an Anti-aircraft object in the ME there is a xxxx.txt path in the script box, If you change this path to xxxx10g.txt it will give the AA ten times normal speed, thereby making one gun equivalent to 10. If I don't really want the AA to kill people I set AI to 'low' level, but if I want to discourage low level flying I set the AI to 'Ace' level. Basically, adding '10g' to the script allows you to use less AA objects and gives an effect of having a lot on the ground.

#86 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 23 July 2013 - 00:49

Nice timing, Pat! I'm just on my way out the door to watch the Cubs and D-backs. :oops:

Oh, and your download page still says 13.09….

I'll take it for a ride Tuesday! :S!:

#87 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 23 July 2013 - 00:52

HT: refresh (f5) your browser :). I would miss it if I didn't have to say hat once per release.

Requiem - completely new to me. Thanks. I'll look at that.

#88 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:34

There's just the 13.10 version to dl, right? No skins/maps to dl with this new version?

Thanks Pat!

Broadside

#89 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:27

HT: refresh (f5) your browser :). I would miss it if I didn't have to say hat once per release.

Requiem - completely new to me. Thanks. I'll look at that.

Yup. That fixed it!

Cubs won (my son was happy, I wasn't).

Will fly some in the a.m.

#90 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:45

Hi Pat, if you havent already, check out the Issues with 13.10 thread.

#91 jeanba4

jeanba4

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:42

Looks very nice, I can continue my campaign with a balloon kill !

#92 Rover_27

Rover_27

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:32

Congratulations! And thank you! Will test it asap.
What about 50/50 baloons? Meaning I can bump into an enemy Drachen flying my Albie, for example?

#93 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 23 July 2013 - 13:55

No, the balloons might be friendly or enemy. Since PWCG is dynamic I thought it would be good for ambient balloons to be from either side. You might find targets or you might find a situation where you are unexpectedly called on to defend a balloon.

#94 Rover_27

Rover_27

Posted 23 July 2013 - 15:26

No, the balloons might be friendly or enemy. Since PWCG is dynamic I thought it would be good for ambient balloons to be from either side. You might find targets or you might find a situation where you are unexpectedly called on to defend a balloon.

Like in the middle of a patrol mission? Wow. Gone checking))

#95 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:42

I figured out the problem with 13.10. 13.10.1 has been posted.

#96 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:00

Will test it Friday!

#97 jeanba4

jeanba4

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:46

Looks much better, thank you

#98 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:25

Working now thanks.

#99 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 26 July 2013 - 13:56

One line of code - one parameter - on one MCU.

McuTimer has a "Random" parameter that is supposed to randomize the actual value. Default is 100. I set it to zero with the intent of removing the randomization. That disabled the timer. Since this value was applied to every timer, that made every timer disabled. Timers are sort of important, no timers no mission.

#100 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 26 July 2013 - 14:52

Geeze.

Ask him what time it is and he tells you how to build a watch. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the super fast fix! Works fine so far.

:S!:

HT

#101 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 26 July 2013 - 15:22

Geeze.

HT

That was my short version :)

#102 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 26 July 2013 - 15:30

Geeze.

HT

That was my short version :)

LOL, I really appreciate your hard work. It's just that what you do is so far beyond my understanding or capabilities, I just had to chuckle when you started describing it. :mrgreen:

There's a reason I research and write for a living. With my limited math skills, you wouldn't want to drive across a bridge I designed. :S!:

#103 fubar2niner

fubar2niner

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:47

Bloody marvelous, thanks a bunch Pat. Installing now :S!:

Best regards.

fubar2niner

#104 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:09

yep without PWCG my Rof would only collecting dust.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#105 Barkhorn1x

Barkhorn1x

Posted 27 July 2013 - 13:27

Just came back after a short hiatus and find a new PWCG version.

Excellent!!!

#106 CapnLeroy

CapnLeroy

Posted 27 July 2013 - 13:35

I first dl'ed ROF demo in 2009 and I was super excited as I love WWI era flight sims. Played a few hours and gave it up. Tried again in 2011 with ICE. Game was better and more stable but still didn't meet my expectations. Same thing '12.

Fast forward to 2013. Gave ROF a go yet again. Discovered PWCG. I now love the game and can't step away from it, in large part due to PWCG.

Thank you so much for all your hard work, Pat!

#107 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 28 July 2013 - 22:53

Version 13.10 posted

Added more AAA artillery to the front (use AAA medium or higher).

I cant find an AAA option allowing "medium or higher".
Or is this the "ground unit density" setting?

#108 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:15

Ground Unit Density. Affects several things including AAA. Oryou can do advanced config if you want to tweak AAA only.

#109 stevobrazil

stevobrazil

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:25

Like many others here, your PWCG has saved ROF for me (I think I'll be throwing OFF on the junk heap).

There is, however, a major issue for me:

After starting an RE8 campaign with the 3rd AFC in Autumn 1918, photographing enemy positions solo, PWCG managed to immerse me completely into both the world and role (especially after having to scrap my mission half-way through after being jumped by enemy scouts).

On the second mission, however, I was joined by three other RE8s to bomb artillery positions over the lines, and to my disappointment, on take off, all but one RE8 were collected by trees - scrapping two of them before we'd even set out!

Then the AI aircraft circled the aerodrome for a bit, for some reason.

I must admit that I loaded up with full fuel, but this has happened with other aircraft at 75% fuel load, at other times, in other campaigns using 13.10.1.

Plus, during an American campaign, one of my wingmen took off into an open hangar, fifty yards in front of him! It's a concern that this sort of thing can ruin this fine experience.

Help? Thanks, Pat. BTW, I sorted out that other lag issue on my own. Cheers for the swift response. :S!:

P.s. How exactly does one tweak the flak settings, and what do the parameters mean (in laymen's terms, I mean)?

#110 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:18

Unfortunately there are hundreds of airfields in RoF. Most are of a generic type and can be handled in a generic fashion. Others don't work out so well. They are either special types or they are generic types in a poor setting. One airfield goes right off a steep hill.

PWCG has the ability to adjust spawn location and direction on the airfield. When a field is messed up it can usually be fixed, but it has to be handled one field at a time.

If an aircraft is spawning in a hangar or flying into trees then Ineed the following:
Which squadron
When (Date of campaign)
Which airfield
Moving front or not.
How many aircraft in the flight.

a temporary workaround use air start for problematic airfields.

#111 stevobrazil

stevobrazil

Posted 29 July 2013 - 13:03

Thanks, Pat. I guess it's air start for me, or find airfields that don't have trees nearby.

I'm tampering with the AAA settings, but am unsure as to what the numbers do exactly.

I'll work it out.

#112 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:22

But please tell me which squadron, what date, at which field. I might be able to do something about it but I need that information. Thanks.

#113 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 29 July 2013 - 20:08

Something seems to be wrong with the Pilots wounding system. My Pilot recieved several wounds,including serious injuries in a few Missions now. I never got a notification about injuries in the Combat Report and never was send to Hospital either,and of course I didn't get the "Wound Badge" Medal. Also I crashlanded on the enemy side,flipped my Plane and got seriously wounded and was still able to continue the Career.

Pilots Death seems to work though,I tried it with droping my Bombs while still on the Ground.

On another Note,not a Bug: I did a few Artillery Spotting Mission,but I have no idea how to direct the Artillery into the Target. I've read the manual about Arty Spotting,and also viewed Requiems tutorial Video about it. In this Video there is a Grid on the Mainmap which helps in directing the Fire to the correct position. Also the Manual mentions this Grid on the Mainmap. However it's not presented in the PWCG Mission map.
I got the Fire on Target already 1 or 2 times,but this was more by luck than by actually directing it.
Certainly I don't have enough practice,so any tips would be very welcome. :S!:

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#114 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 29 July 2013 - 21:37

Pirato: the gird graphic is activated by the waypoint triggering, so any missed waypoint along the way will cause it not to activate. If you have a problem with a mission, try reflying the inbound legs on autopilot or turn on nav aids and make sure that waypoints are hit.

Similar issue when it was stated that sometimes bombers will suddenly fly back to the target area. If you miss WP 2 and arrive at WP 3, the AI is just not smart enough to understand that it has reached WP3 and should therefore ignore WP2.

#115 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 29 July 2013 - 21:53

Thanks,I will try this out tomorrow.

#116 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:22

Pirato: the gird graphic is activated by the waypoint triggering, so any missed waypoint along the way will cause it not to activate. If you have a problem with a mission, try reflying the inbound legs on autopilot or turn on nav aids and make sure that waypoints are hit.

Similar issue when it was stated that sometimes bombers will suddenly fly back to the target area. If you miss WP 2 and arrive at WP 3, the AI is just not smart enough to understand that it has reached WP3 and should therefore ignore WP2.

Hey Pat - is there any way to ameliorate this problem by making the waypoints huge or somehow otherwise make it so they're always or automatically satisfied? This aspect of mission function has always seemed undesirably "gamey" to me - sort of reminds me of the problem I always had playing the old FPS games (Doom etc) where you got penalized and wasted a lot of time backtracking because you missed some secret key/door/wall or whatever.

Just a thought, but if you make it to the target I don't think it ought to matter if you happened to miss some artificial waypoint along the way, so it would be great if the mission could be designed to mitigate that sort of thing.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 65.jpg

#117 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:31

Hey Pat - is there any way to ameliorate this problem by making the waypoints huge or somehow otherwise make it so they're always or automatically satisfied? This aspect of mission function has always seemed undesirably "gamey" to me - sort of reminds me of the problem I always had playing the old FPS games (Doom etc) where you got penalized and wasted a lot of time backtracking because you missed some secret key/door/wall or whatever.

Just a thought, but if you make it to the target I don't think it ought to matter if you happened to miss some artificial waypoint along the way, so it would be great if the mission could be designed to mitigate that sort of thing.

You could set up a check zone (activated by mission start or takeoff) to detect the player's aircraft/flight which deactivates the waypoints leading up to the artillery zone as well as activate the artillery grid. Then upon success/failure in the artillery grid you can assign an outbound waypoint and the flight will continue as normal.

I don't know if it will work as I haven't gotten around to messing with the artillery missions yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't really.

#118 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:31

Ground Unit Density. Affects several things including AAA. Oryou can do advanced config if you want to tweak AAA only.

Which settings should I tweak?
I tried to determine this by putting simple config on high density, but the numbers were all the same in "Mission Ground Objects", for high, med, and low.

I have a beefy system, so what would you recommend for more realistic settings?

#119 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:46

I have everything set on medium. Any higher and there's all kinds of things going on that are well beyond your field of vision.

I thought you guys were having a tropical storm. Flossie? Keeping the mop and bucket handy? ;-)

#120 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 30 July 2013 - 14:58

Okay,I've tried it several Times using the Autopilot right after I took off from the airfield. I activated all the visual helps like Navigation Icons on the Map,Icons on the mainscreen etc. I flew right through the Waypoints and it changed to the next one properly. But I still don't get the Grid activated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users