Photo
- - - - -

I make no claim to be an artist but here goes....

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 13 May 2013 - 21:00

Its been 23 years since I did anything artistic but here goes…. I was looking for some posters for my man-cave and I came across the the Whaam picture by Roy Lichenstein, this one:

http://www.tate.org....rt/artworks/lic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.tate.org....rt/artworks/lic … aam-t00897

Anyhoo for some reason I though 'That doesn't look too hard, I wonder what I could do?" This is what I came up with. Its called Mr Vickers and Mr Lewis.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I took a RoF screenine then 'traced' over it using Paint.Net to create the image. No part of the original screen shot exists, i.e. I didnt just use a tool to change the look of a screenshot. I did this in super high res because If I can finish this off I might get it printed as a poster, about 1 metre wide! So i need it high res to avoid jaggies.

Given its my first attempt at art in 23 years Im reasonable happy with it. Its work in progress as I do have some tweaking, errors to fix and might mess with the colours slightly. Not sure if fame awaits but it make a nice desktop picture!

Oh, if you wondering what the speech bubble is all about: Whilst on the Syndicate Server one night I shot a chap down with my SE5a and typed into the chat bar something like: "S! Mr Vickers and Mr Lewis send their regards"

I couldn't resist using it in the style of the comics I used to read as a kid where all Germans were either Fritz, Jerry or the Boche. No actual Germans were harmed during the production of this picture…. (Also its not meant to purposefully offend our german pals)

#2 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 13 May 2013 - 21:58

You have a very sound understanding of aesthetically pleasing composition. you avoid hard straight lines, favoring diagonal lines, and you tactfully employ both sweeping and gentle curves. Eye travel about the composition is not interrupted by intensely distracting points, talking away from the flow of the remainder of the whole scene depicted. Your subject matter does not detract from your Lichenstein inspired style. The Roy Lichenstein comic influence is clearly visible. You depict shadowing and the placement of your shadows is both logical and consistent. Over all, I really think it is some fine work.

I have seen Lichenstein's work on a number of occasions. His work is sublime, though I prefer the work of Jasper Johns, Robert Rauschenberg, and Fred Mitchell. (I had the pleasure of randomly meeting Fred Mitchell in a Westchester art gallery, some years back. He told me some great stories.)

:S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#3 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 13 May 2013 - 22:01

Very nice, I really like it!

Might be T-shit material, too :D

It would be perfect if it had the Aldis sight, though!

#4 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 May 2013 - 22:08

WOW!!
That is great stuff !! :o

Do it with a Dr1 and I'll buy the poster AND the t'shirt.

Cheers,
Spag. :)

Bite off more than you can chew.

Then chew like Hell ! ! !

#5 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 13 May 2013 - 22:22

Very nice, I really like it!

Might be T-shit material, too :D

It would be perfect if it had the Aldis sight, though!

Thank you.

The Aldis could be added, its there on the screenie, however it was getting a bit 'busy' so I left it off. Its not finish so I migh add the Aldis and see what it looks like.

#6 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 13 May 2013 - 22:27

You have a very sound understanding of aesthetically pleasing composition. you avoid hard straight lines, favoring diagonal lines, and you tactfully employ both sweeping and gentle curves. Eye travel about the composition is not interrupted by intensely distracting points, talking away from the flow of the remainder of the whole scene depicted. Your subject matter does not detract from your Lichenstein inspired style. The Roy Lichenstein comic influence is clearly visible. You depict shadowing and the placement of your shadows is both logical and consistent. Over all, I really think it is some fine work.

I have seen Lichenstein's work on a number of occasions. His work is sublime, though I prefer the work of Jasper Johns, Robert Rauschenberg, and Fred Mitchell. (I had the pleasure of randomly meeting Fred Mitchell in a Westchester art gallery, some years back. He told me some great stories.)

:S!: MJ

Thank you for your kind comments, you appear to know a lot more about art than I and the fact you like it is a nice compliment!

One advantage I have over those great artists is that Im essentially tracing and colouring in a screenshot! Albeit Im covering it completely, I still have the wonderful world of RoF is the underlying (quite literally!) inspiration. There is no way I could put this together from scratch.

Still, Im glad you enjoy it. I was very careful when setting up the screenshot to get the scene just right. I didnt want the whole aircaft in as it would mean surrounding it with lots of sky and ground.

#7 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 13 May 2013 - 22:31

WOW!!
That is great stuff !! :o

Cheers,

Thanks! I might make this one of a pair (like the Whaam painting) and I do need a victim for Mr Vickers and Mr Lewis. It could very well be a Dr1 but Im afraid it will be going Bang!

#8 Gadfly21

Gadfly21

Posted 13 May 2013 - 22:54

Awesome! You could turn this into a series, or a comic strip ;)

I think the yellow speech bubble needs more of a jaggy edge though. Maybe some sound effects too (Tak tak tak! Blam! Biff!).

#9 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:55

Awesome! You could turn this into a series, or a comic strip ;)

I think the yellow speech bubble needs more of a jaggy edge though. Maybe some sound effects too (Tak tak tak! Blam! Biff!).

I have pondered a series type thing but not for this one. I have an idea in mind using a B25 with 14 machine guns!

There might be a companion drawing with the victim of Mr Vickers and Mr Lewis, that might get the Kaboom! treatment. Im think of either a Balloon or a german plane.

The only problem with all of that is time. This picture has so far taken about25 hours, though some of that was faffing about with Paint.net and I ended up redoing quite a bit (all to do with the resolution as it needs to be good enough for a 1m wide poster).

Anyhoo I need to finish this first and get it sorted for printing. If only photoshop was cheaper….

#10 M.H

M.H

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:31

I hearby declare you an artist !

#11 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 14 May 2013 - 13:09

A few people here and elsewhere have suggested a T-Shirt version so I've just ordered a couple. One white and one black. I had to create a square image for the t-shirt printers so I added bands to the top and bottom.

#12 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 14 May 2013 - 15:38

Great :D

#13 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 14 May 2013 - 22:51

This is the 'final' poster version with border (to make it a standard paper size for printing)

I have messed about with the pilot and made a few other tweaks. Also optimised it for printing, though if that has worked will only be proven by actually printing it!

Note: converting it into a JPEG for the forum has messed with some of the textures around the wires/shadows. This will not happen on the actual drawing!

#14 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 14 May 2013 - 23:18

Great stuff sir! You have real talent. Keep at it. :)

#15 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 14 May 2013 - 23:54

Wow that's really well done. I like it a lot!

#16 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 15 May 2013 - 00:10

This is very, very nice. Thanks for sharing this. You are, indeed talented.

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#17 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:40

Thanks for the positive comments guys, I had no idea what to expect when I put this picture on the forum. Its the first time I've tried anything like this and I can't actually judge if its any good!

Having seen some of the other artists works, especially the hand drawn and painted stuff I wondered whether this rather simple image would not just be laughed at. Its nice to get some positive comments and I am going to look to do the companion drawing for this one in the near future.

I have also today ordered a poster version of this to see what it actually looks like on the wall. I have no idea what the colours will be like as the priting process will be different to what I see on my screen.

#18 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:18

Share a photo when you have it up pls! :)

#19 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:09

I refuse Sir, to buy a t/shirt or a poster that depicts a Dr1 being shot down.
Shot at? maybe, but not shot down.
It is a shame that your talents Sir, are misdirected towards the obviously inferior machinery used by the enemy.

Cheers,

#20 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:21

Tick!

You're an artist now!

#21 M.H

M.H

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:23

It is a shame that your talents Sir, are misdirected towards the obviously inferior machinery used by the enemy.

Cheers,
What DrI ???

#22 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:20

Cheers,
What DrI ???

The one in the earlier post, you skimmer you.
Cheers,

#23 M.H

M.H

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:25

Cheers,
What DrI ???

The one in the earlier post, you skimmer you.
Cheers,
aahhhh………….
:D

#24 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 16 May 2013 - 19:15

Here is a picture of…… a picture!

I had an A1 print done so that I could check things like the resolution and the colour. This photo doesn't do it justice, it looks good, though from the colours it seems I have been having monitor issues. The printed version came out much darker than the on screen version. However I had my monitor too bright. I spent several hours this afternoon trying to calibrate my monitor visually….. (I used a higher exposure setting on my camera phone, thats why the deck behind the pilot looks a bit fuzzy)

Anyhoo, the resolution is great, no jaggies and all the lines lovely and smooth. However its quite dark and I had it printed on satin paper so it reflects a bit too much. Im going to use a semi-satin paper next time and I have lightened several parts and changed some elements like the pilot helmet.

In going to do some more printing tests and then get it in A0 size. It will be fin finding a frame for that! Actually I might have it converted into a canvas….. though thats expensive.

#25 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 May 2013 - 21:24

Looks great, well done.
When you sort it, I am serious about buying a rolled up poster (and a t/shirt) if you go to the trouble of making a few dollars out of this artie adventure you are on.
But like I said.
For me, any German plane would have to be shot at, not being destroyed.
Cheers,

#26 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 16 May 2013 - 21:25

It looks good! I like how much attention you're putting into making it a proper final product. I'm sure it will pay off.

#27 J5_Rumey

J5_Rumey

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:03

Having seen some of the other artists works, especially the hand drawn and painted stuff I wondered whether this rather simple image would not just be laughed at. Its nice to get some positive comments and I am going to look to do the companion drawing for this one in the near future.

It seems we are all happy hobbyists here. Drawn, painted, digital or made with finger paint :) . It does not matter. I for one like your work! Keep them coming.

#28 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:34

Looks great, well done.
When you sort it, I am serious about buying a rolled up poster (and a t/shirt) if you go to the trouble of making a few dollars out of this artie adventure you are on.
But like I said.
Cheers,

Hey Spag, Once I get the design finalised (Im having colour/printing issues at the moment) I'd be more than happy to sort out a poster and a T-Shirt for you. Im actually awaiting the postmand with a sample t-shirt I have ordered. Its an earlier design so may not work well but thats why I got a sample.

I have already started the second picture to go with this one, it features a German plane and its not getting shot at! Its not a Dr1 ….but….well, you will have to wait and see!

Thanks!

#29 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 18 May 2013 - 00:04

WOW!!
That is great stuff !!

Cheers,
Spag.

Thanks! I might make this one of a pair (like the Whaam painting) and I do need a victim for Mr Vickers and Mr Lewis. It could very well be a Dr1 but Im afraid it will be going Bang!

Indeed. Very cool artwork, and a "Greetings from Spandau!" ("Guten Tag aus Spandau"??? – my German is pretty abysmal) version would certainly appeal to me :)

Cheers,

#30 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:37

Looks great, well done.
But like I said.
Cheers,

Hey Spag, Once I get the design finalised (Im having colour/printing issues at the moment) I'd be more than happy to sort out a poster and a T-Shirt for you. Im actually awaiting the postmand with a sample t-shirt I have ordered. Its an earlier design so may not work well but thats why I got a sample.

I have already started the second picture to go with this one, it features a German plane and its not getting shot at! Its not a Dr1 ….but….well, you will have to wait and see!

Thanks!

:o
ONYA.
Cheers,

#31 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:50

Very very flash mr SYN_Flashman

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#32 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:16

Indeed. Very cool artwork, and a "Greetings from Spandau!" ("Guten Tag aus Spandau"??? – my German is pretty abysmal) version would certainly appeal to me :)

Cheers,

Thanks! Plus thats a good idea. Im working on a new one now, kind of the second in the series and I might use some german in the speech bubble. There is no firing going on but I might need a good taunt in German

#33 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:20

Cheers,

Thanks! Plus thats a good idea. Im working on a new one now, kind of the second in the series and I might use some german in the speech bubble. There is no firing going on but I might need a good taunt in German

taunt??
OK.
Ich wette, du es nicht tun können
Cheers,

#34 M.H

M.H

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:23

Please stick to english people , atleast in the posts . I hate going to google translate so often .

#35 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:49

Please stick to english people , atleast in the posts . I hate going to google translate so often .

It was a taunt. I could say something in German, but I won't.
Cheers,

#36 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:39

Here is my second picture, though its very much work in progress. Its called Tea and Medals…..

Its more complex than the previous because the Alb shape is more difficult to represent in simple lines and shadows. Plus I chose a complicated skin!

I need to finish the SE5a (its missing a prop and some shading/highlights. also im not too happy with the top wing shading, its not smooth enough.) and im going to mess with the background perhaps.

Anyhoo, its taken me all day. That bloomin Alb…… why did I pick the dragon one????

Let me know what you think….

#37 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:57

:S!: :ugeek:

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#38 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:30

Awesome! Love the composition.

#39 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:34

Awesome! Love the composition.

Thanks! That composition took hours to get. I set up a fight with AI but even on expert level they were reluctant to fight! Eventually I flew the Alb instead of the Se5 and just attacked it so I could get some screenies.

I was trying to get shots where both aircraft are fully in the frame as i'd rather fill the picture with planes than with sky.

Frustratingly I havent been able to work out how to get a free floating camera or at least one where I can move the view point a bit. Might need to explore that.

#40 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:39

F11 is the free floating camera, but it moves too fast to position it in detail. There is a button to slow the movement down, though. I'm not sure if you were aware of this.

Edit: would the Albie's prop disc not also be visible?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users