Photo
- - - - -

ATT NeoQB: THANKS for fixing the forum!

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Hellbender

Hellbender
  • LocationMadrid, Spain (originally Brussels, Belgium)

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:54

Update:

THANKS, NeoQB!

Will be coming here a lot more often now!

—————————-

This place is an impossibly complicated mess of vaguely named categories filled with cryptic subforums.

In one sentence: 1998 called, they want their layout back.

I only post at SimHQ because of this.

The forum needs the following FIVE categories and AS FEW AS POSSIBLE subforums.

1) Announcements

Official announcements from NeoQB.

Reply only!

2) General Sim Discussion

For everything and anything concerning the sim, ranging from videos of your favourite dogfight, posting custom missions, speculation about upcoming planes to flightmodel whinefests (currently under Game Issues for some incomprehensible reason). As few as possible subforums to get lost in (one for squadron recruitment and one for user created content would suffice).

This place needs to be the BEATING HEART of this website, bustling with activity.

3) Rise of Flight Store

Anything about the store. Problems with payments, comments, doubts over the business model, you name it.

Provide fast, efficient and official feedback here and this will earn you $$$, guaranteed!

4) Technical Support

Just that. Technical problems. Stuttering, authorisation issues, multiplayer problems, server errors, website issues. Any problem you might face that stops you from experiencing the game the way it exists now. Also, little or no subforums. Keep it in one spot where other people might actually see your message and help out.

Not to whine about the flightmodel or report problems with the store, those go into General Sim Discussion and Store respectively!

5) Off-topic

For all the rest. Ranging from topics about other sims to photoshops of naked Megan Fox riding a Nieuport 17.

Moderated!

Please, for your own sake NeoQB, do this now.

S!

- Hb

J5_Hellbender

#2 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:23

The forum is a bit like the game, a "mess"

#3 Hellbender

Hellbender

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:33

The forum is a bit like the game, a "mess"

Well, I don't entirely agree there.

The sim, for all its shortcomings, is a lovingly crafted diamond fashioned by true professionals. It has a few rough edges here and there and no golden scepter to socket it into yet (solid multiplayer and single player). The potential is there and it shines through. Brilliantly.

This will change, with time.

The forum is a swinery that almost defies all comparison. It's something made in some very busy person's spare time. A person who was very likely not in charge of designing forums in the least. The chaos is complete and it shows. Badly.

This can change, as of today.

J5_Hellbender

#4 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:58

In total agreement - the forums are unwieldy and laborious. I have only used View New Posts (when it actually works) for some time now.

#5 Chaos

Chaos

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:06

1+

#6 ArcticWolf

ArcticWolf

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:32

+2

#7 HaJa

HaJa

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:33

Agree :)

lost the "view new posts again" today :roll:

#8 MattM

MattM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 13:13

This is definately the unorganized forum of any flightsim or pc game i've ever seen in my life. And i've seen a few.

#9 Herodotus

Herodotus
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 October 2009 - 13:37

Totally agree. I only use the "View New Posts", when it works, and so I know I am missing out on many other posts on the site.
Megan Fox on a Nieuport 17? Someone has to do that skin ;)

#10 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 12 October 2009 - 13:38

Totally agree. I only use the "View New Posts", when it works, and so I know I am missing out on many other posts on the site.
Megan Fox on a Nieport 17? Someone has to do that skin ;)

Same here, I never browse the forums.

#11 Hellbender

Hellbender

Posted 14 October 2009 - 00:48

NeoQB, listen to your customers. Even the ones that bitch. Those are the ones who actually believe in you and your sim.

For every customer that complains, know that there are several who don't.

Some because they don't care and others because they do care but have chosen to simply give up and stay away from your products in the future.

Anyhow, take it or leave it.

Personally, I will support you and your sim through thick and thin, but most will not be this patient.

J5_Hellbender

#12 AI-Neoqb

AI-Neoqb

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:04

This place is an impossibly complicated mess of vaguely named categories filled with cryptic subforums.

In one sentence: 1998 called, they want their layout back.

I only post at SimHQ because of this.

The forum needs the following FIVE categories and AS FEW AS POSSIBLE subforums.

1) Announcements

Official announcements from NeoQB.

Reply only!

2) General Sim Discussion

For everything and anything concerning the sim, ranging from videos of your favourite dogfight, posting custom missions, speculation about upcoming planes to flightmodel whinefests (currently under Game Issues for some incomprehensible reason). As few as possible subforums to get lost in (one for squadron recruitment and one for user created content would suffice).

This place needs to be the BEATING HEART of this website, bustling with activity.

3) Rise of Flight Store

Anything about the store. Problems with payments, comments, doubts over the business model, you name it.

Provide fast, efficient and official feedback here and this will earn you $$$, guaranteed!

4) Technical Support

Just that. Technical problems. Stuttering, authorisation issues, multiplayer problems, server errors, website issues. Any problem you might face that stops you from experiencing the game the way it exists now. Also, little or no subforums. Keep it in one spot where other people might actually see your message and help out.

Not to whine about the flightmodel or report problems with the store, those go into General Sim Discussion and Store respectively!

5) Off-topic

For all the rest. Ranging from topics about other sims to photoshops of naked Megan Fox riding a Nieuport 17.

Moderated!

Please, for your own sake NeoQB, do this now.

S!

- Hb

Thanks, working on it…

#13 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:30

Good suggestion.

As most people already stated: I only check "view new posts", because to browse the forums would take an hour at least! :)

#14 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:41

On the other hand, "view new posts" does actually work very well.

#15 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:46

It works very well if you want to keep up with the news, so please keep it.
If you actually want to post something new, you will have a hard time finding appropriate the sub-forum!

Unless we adopt the google philosophy and forget about sub forums altogether. Just make one forum and a very good "search" facility! :)

#16 rolltide

rolltide

Posted 14 October 2009 - 20:26

Funny how I stumbled here looking for something else. This place is a mess.

:lol:

#17 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 26 October 2009 - 19:43

Well its been changed, for the good or for the bad. Dont blame Lefty anymore people wanted the OPs idea and we got it, at least we know who to blame now :D

#18 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 26 October 2009 - 19:47

Yep. I think it was idiotic that people instantly complained after receiving precisely what had been asked for and agreed upon. That's a great way to make sure they're never listened to again, and it's also a great way to discourage our Russian pals from posting to the English forum.

I'm embarrassed for the lot of people who posted complaints to lefty's thread. Sad..

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#19 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 26 October 2009 - 19:53

Yes, same here…..I think lefty's reaction was a bit unprofessional but completely understandable.

At any rate, thanks for changing it. Personally, I like it better now. Though I love the "new posts" and "your posts" options, I have never seen them before but I really use them a lot.

#20 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 26 October 2009 - 20:05

I use the new posts and your posts ALOT and the unanswered ones just in case I happen to be able to help somone. Those are very nice features that I have not seen in any other forum.

#21 TJTAS

TJTAS

Posted 26 October 2009 - 20:09

I prefer the new layout myself…

I think that Lefty's reaction in the other thread was a bit of an over reaction considering the few posts in that thread.

#22 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 26 October 2009 - 20:13

It is the typical knee jerk reaction by a minorty of people. Resulting in a knee jerk reaction by Lefty. Its a cascading mess everyone needs to calm down and adapt. What do good pilots o in adverse situations when the book has to be thrown out, you adapt or fail lets all adapt and move on.

#23 NickM

NickM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 20:18

It's not exactly rocket science. The old IL-2 forums at ubisoft have a good balance:

1. General forum
2. Technical help forum
3. FM discussion (Maddox's Ready Room)
4. Mission Builder's forum
5. Paint scheme forum

RoF needs another forum to cover account activation stuff as well, but almost everything else would fit into the above.

Oh well, we'll see how this shapes up…

Cheers,

Nick

#24 MattM

MattM

Posted 26 October 2009 - 20:43

I was only complaining about the 3-4 hardware and game-control sub-forums in the old layout. That was just overkill. Other than that, i didn't have any problems with finding specific threads.

One general forum for community releases, ROF issues, airplane physics, suggestions, feedback, questions, about visual, sound, control, settings, multiplayer, single missions, carreer mode, mission editor, (did i miss something?) does not work, and that's why i said it. As for Leftys "you wanted that exactly like this, not I or NeoQb!", i just answer: "No, i didn't". If that was too much for him to handle, so be it.

#25 Jaws2002

Jaws2002

Posted 26 October 2009 - 21:58

Way to go.
Just throw everything in one big pot,name it "general discussion" and call it a day. :roll:

#26 AI-Neoqb

AI-Neoqb

Posted 26 October 2009 - 22:15

Way to go.
Just throw everything in one big pot,name it "general discussion" and call it a day. :roll:

You asked - you got it. Will make it better with your help, off course…

#27 Jaws2002

Jaws2002

Posted 26 October 2009 - 22:51

Sorry for jumping a bit there.
Was looking for the "creativity" forum and everything is lost inside the General discussion. :cry:

I think that Creativity forum was ok as it was. Maybe add a skins subforum in it. I don't think that should have been mixed with the rest of the General discussion. People could easily find missions and skins in there. That one was more useful as it was. Specially important for the missions, since they are not exactly easy to create.

#28 no_name_40

no_name_40

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:29

WOW, this is quite a big difference. Much better. I can see myself visiting these forums more often now that they're readable.

Thanks again!

#29 =IRFC=Sparrow

=IRFC=Sparrow

Posted 27 October 2009 - 14:47

Salute All:

Well, I don't entirely agree there.

The sim, for all its shortcomings, is a lovingly crafted diamond fashioned by true professionals. It has a few rough edges here and there and no golden scepter to socket it into yet (solid multiplayer and single player). The potential is there and it shines through. Brilliantly.

This will change, with time.

I totally agree.

#30 Hellbender

Hellbender

Posted 27 October 2009 - 18:03

Wow, thanks!

Respect for keeping your word!

:D

J5_Hellbender

#31 NakedSquirrel

NakedSquirrel
  • Tester

Posted 28 October 2009 - 19:07

Awesome! Thanks for the touch-up. Forum layout is much easier to navigate now.

#32 Eldur

Eldur

Posted 28 October 2009 - 22:34

Could you look into attachments made by users? I've seen some now that are gone. Those in here fore example: http://riseofflight....?p=39321#p39321">viewtopic.php?p=39321#p39321

The selected attachment does not exist anymore.

The file ./../files/7816_1d0d0628d9b1092a2ccade9aef4dd801 does not exist.
The file ./../files/34578_2a454926e7d33c085e34eb3c24b584a7 does not exist.
The file ./../files/34578_caf2b48d6e555e8dff70c87e2cb762ae does not exist.

Or that one: http://riseofflight....?p=39539#p39539">viewtopic.php?p=39539#p39539

The file ./../files/10877_1242f692e9bf8783c231096f09c77aee does not exist.

#33 stethnorun

stethnorun

Posted 29 October 2009 - 13:34

Now with updated section descriptions! :mrgreen:

Now you all can't claim to be confused when you post in the wrong section! hehe

#34 ZaltysZ

ZaltysZ

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:23

I don't like how the forum looks now. It was used to be logical and structured and now it is almost like "gamers" forum, in which no one has the need to read what has been posted a few weeks ago.

We used to have Physics sub forum, which (I think) was frequently read by Petrovich, but now I don't imagine him going over everything, what is flooded into General sub forum. :( Bug reports also go to General sub forum. :( How I am supposed to report a bug? I hate double, triple and etc. reports, so I always check if bug, which I want to be reported, hasn't been reported already, however now all previous reports easily blend into bunch of other posts and my "checks" will take lots of time. I wonder how easily devs can find such reports in this mess. :)

#35 WWBrian

WWBrian

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:25

Hi ZaltysZ,

You can report bugs to Technical Support area.

#36 ZaltysZ

ZaltysZ

Posted 04 November 2009 - 13:52

Hi ZaltysZ,

I know, however there they will be mixed with reappearing "I see black screen", "I can't install", "How to change controls?", "TrackIR center position is shifted" and etc. Also, most already reported bugs were put in General section after forum overhaul. Of course I will find where to put them, however the current forum structure seems pretty chaos friendly.

#37 stethnorun

stethnorun

Posted 04 November 2009 - 14:24

Hi ZaltysZ,

I know, however there they will be mixed with reappearing "I see black screen", "I can't install", "How to change controls?", "TrackIR center position is shifted" and etc. Also, most already reported bugs were put in General section after forum overhaul. Of course I will find where to put them, however the current forum structure seems pretty chaos friendly.

The previous forum structure cut down on "chaos" because it was a regular minotaur's labyrinth :mrgreen:

You are right that this is a standard game-formatted board. But Rise of Flight IS a game. If people are putting everything in General, we will try to move them out to the appropriate places. Other than that, I'm not exactly sure where your concern lies. That the devs won't read our posts because there are so many of them? They do read them and we (moderators, BETA testers and the like) make sure to bring the important topics to the devs' attention. So don't worry too much about that ;)

#38 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 04 November 2009 - 14:41

The view new posts tab doesnt work for me. I only get one post every time I click on it, even right after I make a post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users