- - - - -

A little side project: Naval drifters

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#81 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:19

…and one a side note, there is also a seemingly rare aft gun installation, image probably taken between 1918 and 1920
The angled armour of the aft gun crew shield in that photo has a decidedly WWII look about it. Besides, there appears to be a muzzle break on that barrel, or are my eyes deceiving me?
My guess is this is not WWI, but just a guess, as you are doing. :D

#82 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:38

…and one a side note, there is also a seemingly rare aft gun installation, image probably taken between 1918 and 1920
The angled armour of the aft gun crew shield in that photo has a decidedly WWII look about it. Besides, there appears to be a muzzle break on that barrel, or are my eyes deceiving me?
My guess is this is not WWI, but just a guess, as you are doing. :D

not my guess, it was posted with that guess on a RNPS forum, the "muzzle break" is most likely an oilskin cover over, note the aft part of the gun is also covered.

#83 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 11 May 2013 - 23:22

Building the 6 pdr Hotchkiss "Quick Firing" Gun:

Yes, I need some naval uniforms as well!

#84 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:08

This is great work by the way!

It should be noted that wrapped in wool jumpers, wool hats, oil-skins and floatation devices a navy sailor would look just like a civilian sailor. In port, on land or on the bridge of a warship less so due to uniform regulations, more so aboard larger vessels.

But on a small minesweeper or fishing boat in the North Sea or Channel it would be hard to tell them apart from their civilian counterparts at a glance. Although in action they may have worn steel helmets.

#85 pollux18

pollux18

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:29

Thank you for very good job :S!:
"Il faut préférer la modestie de ceux qui s'associent pour combattre aux triomphes passagers de celui qui s'isole."

Cdt De Rose

#86 Endy

Endy

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:01

This will be a worthy addition to Rise of Flight.

Let's hope 777 implement it soon, mods off.

Thank you.

#87 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 12 May 2013 - 22:27

The Hotchkiss 6 pounder is operational!

Now I need to get some proper uniforms for the crew….

#88 J5_Vorlander

J5_Vorlander

Posted 12 May 2013 - 22:43

Nice work Vander

#89 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:25

Gorgeous little thing Vander. :) Nice work!

#90 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 14:17

Thank you.

New objects will be made available on the ROFMODS website and new objects remain as 3rd party content until further notice. They can be used in Mods Off mode. You just need to download and install them.

Jason

#91 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 13 May 2013 - 16:42

Thank you.

New objects will be made available on the ROFMODS website and new objects remain as 3rd party content until further notice. They can be used in Mods Off mode. You just need to download and install them.

Jason

@jason,
Thanks Jason! Vander's objects look fantastic.

@Everyone,
I also would add that ROF multiplayer missions can also be played in mods on multiplayer mode, so there is no reason why third party mods have to be included officially in order for community members to enjoy these mods online with their squadmates or what not. Vander might want to work with the Syndicate to set up organized mods on multiplayer events to showcase certian of his mods, or the mods of other ROF'ers, in special Vintage Mission Syndicate events, for instance. Vander can tell us what mods we will need for the missions and we can install the mods, using a freeware mods manager, then go into mods on mode and participate.

:S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#92 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer

Posted 13 May 2013 - 19:06

I hope to have a permanent Mods On server in the not to far future. It's up to server operators to decide if they want to have Mods On. Don't pressure them please.

Jason

#93 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:43

still, it would be great if such essentials as a more day-to-day buisness naval target (then cruisers or machinegun-indestructible freight vessels) for the w12 could be mods off.. we really need more for it to shoot at ;=)

#94 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:31

And in your case land on Zebra. ;)

#95 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:00

Landing will be quite a challenge since the masts will have a collision model! :)

Found a sailor's uniform. Might do the more practical oilskin and cap later, but it didn't fit the current soldier model.

#96 jeanba4

jeanba4

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:04

Looks great, I really look forward attacking those drifters !

#97 Ztenis

Ztenis

Posted 15 May 2013 - 14:34

Ahh the Navy! What an outfit. I think I'll enlist again :D

#98 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 19 May 2013 - 17:18

Landing will be quite a challenge since the masts will have a collision model! :)

Found a sailor's uniform. Might do the more practical oilskin and cap later, but it didn't fit the current soldier model.

it looks pretty much spot on to me.. except for maybe the seaboots, on small vessels with the deck awash in any kind of seastate you wouldn´t want socks ;=)

edit: I ´ve just added more pics, for the variety of interest, I think the uniform that you got, is more then just fine for RoF purposes…

image taken from the interesting free online book here: In all things drifter, that really is a very very recomendable source!
http://www.naval-his...W1Book-MN1b.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.naval-his...W1Book-MN1b.htm

Attached Files

#99 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 19 May 2013 - 18:23

Ah yes, the boots! A little texturing will soon take care of that. Btw, I think the German sailors wore a pretty similar uniform?

Great find, that online book!

This is what we should be able to see in RoF soon:

heck…TWO guns!?

#100 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 19 May 2013 - 18:54

thats an interesting picture, I wonder what that column on the fishhold is for. I doesn´t look like a net-vessel (no space for the nets) but the thing on top looks a bit like navigational aids in the wadden, maybe a sort of comand vessel with an aid to keep precise relative postions to? I gotta look around if more can be found.

#101 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 19 May 2013 - 19:06

This flagship has the same "instrument":

#102 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 19 May 2013 - 21:16

if you enlarge that picture, you see that it also has a second gun and a different hull number. So I guess that the flagships which had not to carry nets etc, likely had a second gun and a possibly device like the column for the other vessels to id it and take precise bearings from for minesweeping and net deloyment, at least thats what I would guess what the column might be for..

Attached Files

#103 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:34

just was having a look at the other side, the germans seems to have used slightly larger vessels, among them many converted whalers (the ones with the lookout barrel on the foremast) and trawlers

#104 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:24

Very nice!

#105 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:54

heck…TWO guns!?

That second gun looks suspiciously like AAA to me, perhaps a British 2 Pounder Quick Fire (QF MarkII), aka 40mm POM-POM, first introduced in 1915 and at least according to online sources certainly used as large calibre AA MG (or small calibre AAA, whatever your persepctive… :D ).

#106 Waldo.Pepper

Waldo.Pepper

Posted 28 May 2013 - 16:29

That second gun looks suspiciously like AAA to me, perhaps a British 2 Pounder Quick Fire (QF MarkII), aka 40mm POM-POM, first introduced in 1915 and at least according to online sources certainly used as AA MG.

To me as well. Well spotted.

#107 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 28 May 2013 - 17:59

maybe the vessel can be identified further, it bears a scotish fishing registry number from banff (BF 623) and therefore must have been built as civilian vessel… just be doing a quick look on the web i can see 2 possible names in the times from 1914-18 with that registry, "flowers" or "jeanie murray"

it is possible that it was sunk in one of the last attacks on the dover patrol. The durham record office has an online text about someone on the Chatham Naval War Memorial named Frederick Seed, it states:

In 1918, age 24, Frederick was serving as one of three telegraphists on the Jeannie Murray in the Dover Patrol. The Jeannie Murray was a herring drifter (a requisitioned fishing boat) which had been based at Buckie in peacetime (and was possibly numbered BF623), one of 500 boats registered in the Buckie/Banff area, and had been built at Lowestoft in 1907.

On the night of the 14/15 February 1918 the Jeannie Murray was one of 58 drifters on duty, when they were attacked by seven German destroyers (the last attack on the Dover Patrol). Two drifters were damaged, and one trawler and seven drifters were sunk, including the Jeannie Murray. The entire crew of the Jeannie Murray was lost - 2 officers and 12 ratings, all reservists and mostly fishermen. As Frederick’s body was never recovered he is commemorated on the Chatham Naval War Memorial.

http://www.durhamrec...1893-1918).aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.durhamrec...ffice.org.uk/Pa … 18%29.aspx

and there is another picture on the net with said vessel:

Attached Files

#108 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 28 May 2013 - 21:26

I edited my last post to remove an image, that of a 37mm Flakcannone because I mistook it for the Vickers 2 Pounder (40 MM QF POM-POM).

They look so damn similar, at least without a critical eye, that in my humble opinion, we could have the Flakcannone model (which is already included as a third party addition at last patch) double for the 2 lbs QF. I'm not much of a grognard… They are both to all intents just upscaled Maxims.

37mm Flakcannone:

2 Pounder (40mm):

#109 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 28 May 2013 - 22:10

Off topic: It's funny isn't it that the 37mm is meant to be the flaming-onions gun and yet the British had almost the same thing yet were still convinced that the flaming-onions were balls of fire tied by rope or chain. I wonder why that is. It must have been to do with the tracer burnout and rate of fire causing an optical illusion of the balls 'floating'

#110 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 28 May 2013 - 23:31

Yes Tom, often ruminated on that myself. Maybe the RFC were simply more offensive against the balloons and established the fear and 'legend' of flaming onions early on. It became a part of the lore, so to speak.

That or the Germans were the only ones to use all tracer rounds on balloon defence, while the Entente used mixed load out… Or the Germans didn't complain about balloon defence.

#111 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 29 May 2013 - 17:31

on a side note: there is movie footage from WW2 onboard naval drifter that has very little alteration to its ww1 service, this time in service as a barrage ballon vessel with a winch apparently in the fishhold.

#112 thenorm

thenorm

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:14

Looking great! Perhaps some chance of some video of your drifters? And while I understand the new objects don't require mods on, I hope that they are all implemented officially, so that they can be used in Careers. In any case, well done!

#113 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 02 July 2013 - 19:51

The drifters are almost done! Hopefully, they will be added to the RofMods site soon. In the meantime, please enjoy this little preview:

#114 LordNeuro_Srb

LordNeuro_Srb
  • LocationNovi Sad/Serbia

Posted 02 July 2013 - 20:53

Gr8 work Vander. I to relly hope those will be added officaly to rof as ur other amezing work (static objects to airfields). Keep up the amizing work and make rof iven beter and alive.
Thx for u hard work :S!:

#115 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 02 July 2013 - 21:24

I to relly hope those will be added officaly to rof

x2!

For me this is almost as important as a new plane, the small vessels were more numerous then the large ones and they fit both athmospherically (ever looked at from smallest of harbours the the ports of the world and NOT seen a fishery vessel, either now or on old fotos? that does not exist…)and gameplay wise giving long needed targets for the w12. I really wouldn´t want the channel with out them.

#116 Branwell

Branwell

Posted 02 July 2013 - 21:46

The drifters are almost done! Hopefully, they will be added to the RofMods site soon. In the meantime, please enjoy this little preview:

Brilliant :)

#117 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer

Posted 02 July 2013 - 23:40

Will be up on ROFMODS soon.

Jason

#118 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:06

Absolutely brilliant, as is the fact they will soon be up on the Mods site.

Pat Wilson, what are the chances of these appearing on PWCG any time soon?

#119 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 03 July 2013 - 20:08

These are truly first rate.

#120 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:57

The drifter is up on ROFMODS now.

http://www.rofmods.com/en/Ships_1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rofmods.com/en/Ships_1/

Jason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users