- - - - -

A little side project: Naval drifters

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#1 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:48

In this thread I will post updates on a project I'm working on. It will be an add-on for the Channel map and should be very useful when designing Channel missions. I hope the updates will also inspire others to make new objects as it isn't all that hard to do (once you have basic 3d studio max knowledge).

The object is a small steam ship, called "Drifter".

From wikipedia:

A naval drifter is a boat built along the lines of a commercial fishing drifter but fitted out for naval purposes. Drifters were robust boats built, like trawlers, to work in most weather conditions, but designed to deploy and retrieve drift nets. If requisitioned by navies, they were typically armed with an anti-submarine gun and depth charges and used to maintain and patrol anti-submarine nets.

The idea is to make a number of variants: One unarmed (fishing boat), one armed with surface gun and one armed with AAA. As soon as it's in a decent shape I will upload it so others can try the add-on in Rise of flight.

First results after one day:

Second update, added more details:

#2 LordNeuro_Srb

LordNeuro_Srb
  • LocationNovi Sad/Serbia

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:58

Wow gr8 work. I wondered about ships and adding them in game. There was a gr8 ships made in sh3 and sh5 , and same of them were sutobole for ww1. Maybe there could be a wey with autor permission affcourse to tray and add sme of theat ships in game.

#3 Ztenis

Ztenis

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:55

:) Very nice, :geek: just one tiny thing, if you are making a model of the ship in the pic above
(which I think probably is a 1890s built and later converted Brixham sailing trawler aka Big Sloop (it for sure has a late 19th century British cutter hull))
you will need to make the hackboard (backend railing) quit a bit straighter but not totaly straight.
-No British cutter or other english wooden NAVY or working ship with this kind of hull that I know of ever had such a round aft railing like the one your model has.

:lol: I'm sorry for the nit picking but I really love those hulls/ships.
I did sail in a ship like that for a while some 40-35 years back in time, which of course also had the proper original type of ketch rig.

#4 tvrtko

tvrtko

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:53

Very nice. May I give you an idea
for your next project? Argus, say. :roll:

#5 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:55

No problem with the nitpicking…it's everyone's favorite pastime on the forums anyway! :)

Not sure what you mean with hackboard, but I have modeled the ship according to this type (I have seen a lot of these). I think it had a metal hull:

I'm not going to make an exact replica of any specific boat though. But if you have good, detailed photographs that will help me a lot.

#6 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 02 May 2013 - 13:02

I have already quickly tested a carrier in RoF, but since every aircraft crashes as soon as the wheels touch the deck, I didn't feel the need to continue… :)

#7 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 02 May 2013 - 13:15

Does this still apply following Zebra's discoveries?

#8 tvrtko

tvrtko

Posted 02 May 2013 - 13:42

I have already quickly tested a carrier in RoF, but since every aircraft crashes as soon as the wheels touch the deck, I didn't feel the need to continue… :)
How come ?
I mean we could land
on trains but not ships ?? :?

Does this still apply following Zebra's discoveries?
Plus one.
I was thinking the same.

edit:
Oh c'mon Vander, U sure you giving it up ?
Carrier landings is source of endless fun.
If I only get a dime for every hour I've
spend with them in Flight Simulators… :-/
Or IL2. Or Lock On. You get it by now.

#9 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 02 May 2013 - 13:49

How about the stationary model of a carrier placed over a piece of land, so that the planes are actually stnading on that bit of land but you can't see it because the carrier is on top of it?

#10 Ztenis

Ztenis

Posted 02 May 2013 - 13:57

:) OK, that is kind of a different boat and obviously not a cutter, what I was referring to was the remaining traces of what on older British wooden ships of the Cutter/Sloop/Fregatt type used to be a so called transom, but I do understand that we can't have all the hundreds of different types of small vessels that you could find around the north european coasts, in lakes and rivers around the begining of the 20th century.

Anyway, a verry nice and high quality model you are making, as usual. :S!:

#11 Ztenis

Ztenis

Posted 02 May 2013 - 14:26

Aircraft carriers were not used operationally during the First World War, there were just some experimental testing done on board the newly commissioned HMS Furious in late 1918.
But it could be cool to have a seaplane tender like for example the HMS Ark Royal as a base for Short 184s in the future.

#12 Waxworks

Waxworks

Posted 02 May 2013 - 14:52

HMS Argus was a unique vessel and by the time she was commissioned the Germans had retreated almost entirely off our Channel map. She never saw active service. While it might be fun to try landings, a ship of the size of Argus represents a great deal of effort for almost no practical use in any combat scenario. Even a seaplane lighter wouldn't be that much use. The main objective for the transport of high-powered machines to sea was to have one able to climb high enough to catch a Zeppelin- as we don't have Zeppelins they would have no natural opponent.

If it were possible to build more warships, destroyers of both sides and Royal Navy monitors would be more valuable, ships that were involved in actual wartime combat with aeroplanes and have natural roles to play on our map.

The drifter Vander is building (great model!) will be very useful, the Dover Command had over two thousand small vessels of this kind and others by the end of the war, the Germans made extensive use of them as well. They were targets for machines like the W.12 and I also came across an incident where a German Zeppelin successfully bombed and sank one of these craft at night, to the surprise and consternation of its crew.

Another and far simpler project I hope someone will attempt is to put the British 6" naval gun on a simple carriage so that we can have some heavy British counter battery artillery!

#13 tvrtko

tvrtko

Posted 02 May 2013 - 15:56

Aircraft carriers were not used operationally during the First World War, there were just some experimental testing done on board the newly commissioned HMS Furious in late 1918.
This will probably shock you but let me say
it anyway…we all here already know that.
But, like we all know, it'll be a load of fun.
And for the lack of historical importance -
some may say same for widely requested
SSW D.III/or IV & Sopwith Snipe, even
Pfalz D.XII, or Fokker D.VIII. But they all
here or will be. Why at least some of us
can't dream of cool carrier landings in air
simulator with best physics Rise of Flight ?
:| You have problems with that mate ?

#14 Ztenis

Ztenis

Posted 02 May 2013 - 16:05

Yes I forgot about the HMS Argus.

This round ass boat, the Drifter (Buis, Buss, Koff, Katt (Cat) related type?) must of course have been quite common in England and as this kind of hull more or less were the standard in for instance Holland and Germany it's perfect for a generic small fishingboat, coastal freighter or patrol boat.

#15 Ztenis

Ztenis

Posted 02 May 2013 - 16:11

:) Hi tvrtko! I have absolutely no problems with people having a whole bunch of aircraft carriers in this game if they like but I would probably not use them my self.

#16 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 02 May 2013 - 16:19

Okay tested again, with latest update. The plane does not break-down on impact, but (after looking closely in slow-motion) the wheels lock-up, they simple don't rotate upon impact. The aircraft immediately turns over….

back to the Drifter!

#17 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 02 May 2013 - 16:28

Vander, can you assign waypoints to that carrier to make it move?

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#18 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 02 May 2013 - 16:49

Vander, can you assign waypoints to that carrier to make it move?

Yes, it's just a ship. It was a very quick conversion of a free 3d model on the internet. It has no LODs, no damage model, nothing. It doesn't even have a proper skin. It's ugly, just a prototype. Please forget about it. Maybe in a next war. :)

#19 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 02 May 2013 - 17:10

I'm just curious if you can land on the carrier if it's moving and you're moving in the same direction. That might explain some other issues Zebra was having with landing on trains.

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#20 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 02 May 2013 - 17:12

Beautiful model, Vander! (The Drifter, not the carrier :mrgreen: ) :S!:

#21 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 02 May 2013 - 17:16

Nice work, Vander! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Oh, the wonderful things we could have if we had a larger group of community modelers working on Rise of Flight….so much additions could be made…

#22 tvrtko

tvrtko

Posted 02 May 2013 - 19:38

Please forget about it. Maybe in a next war. :)

:-/

#23 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 02 May 2013 - 20:23

Update. Added rigging and such. Now I have to sort out the UV mapping, always an annoying part of the modeling process!

#24 Gadfly21

Gadfly21

Posted 02 May 2013 - 21:04

Very nice! I would love to see it in the stock game eventually.

#25 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:45

Okay tested again, with latest update. The plane does not break-down on impact, but (after looking closely in slow-motion) the wheels lock-up, they simple don't rotate upon impact. The aircraft immediately turns over….

back to the Drifter!

I think it might be possible to make a landable surface (even with the "rough" physics for each added 3d object) for ships. Maybe if it is angled you would have a bid compensation for the deceleration and nose over tendency. Like the flight deck on the campania.

but I also absolutly love the drifters. here are some nice pics of life aboard those fishing vessels..

http://www.flickr.co...ith/3292629810/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.flickr.co...otos/whatsthatp … 292629810/

#26 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:58

Planes did also take off from lighters towed behind warships. But even with Furious they ditched back in the sea and were winched up (and re-built) except for one successful experiment followed soon after by a fatal failed one by the same pilot.

#27 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 03 May 2013 - 21:25

Another update. Not much has changed in the 3d model, but the UV mapping is done!

#28 Browning

Browning

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:31

That's a great model, but some parts are a little too dense for ROF.
You might find it best to do your optimisations now as they will mess up you UV if you do them later.

#29 Ztenis

Ztenis

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:26

Looking good!

#30 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:31

Nice work Vander. RoF would be a lot richer with those floating about.

#31 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:43

its really coming along nicely, great work vander. I always had a lot of interest in the fishery vessels in the north sea and just as a sidenote: the closed bridge that we now take for granted, was in the time of ww1 just coming up, until then a real sailor stood on the helm out in the open, even on large frighters and passenger vessels. Another thing is, that they often had very very tiny hatches to load their cargo, as seas battering the cover was a large cause of loss of vessels, especially on the wooden sailing fishing vessels, that started to catch oysters in winter as a supplement buisness when they started to feel the pressure from motorized vessels.

maybe you could easily make variants (like with an open brigde) so we could have a lot of diverse trafic or missions where felixstone crews would need to id a certain vessel…

Attached Files

#32 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:58

just on a funny sidenote: As I was watching the pictures from the link above, I found this one, were the photographer faithfully tried to cover daily life aboard a trawler and the coloration artist obviously thought that THIS was tooo much ;=)

Attached Files

#33 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 04 May 2013 - 23:09

After more uv-mapping, cleaning up the mesh and optimise details, I added some quick textures.
Before I send the ship to the paint shop (SYN_Bandy kindly offered to do the skinning) I wanted to make sure she floats. So I tested the model in Rise of Flight:

She floats all right! :roll: Next step: fiddling with config files to make sure she doesn't leave the water….

#34 ParachuteProne

ParachuteProne

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:44

Wow ! Very nice .
Great to see some more ships !

#35 Ztenis

Ztenis

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:00

:) Cool! I feel like I want want to go fishing -but isn't she floating a bit high? :o What on earth did you ballast her with? Zep hydrogen or helium? :lol:

#36 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:38

Released all the Helium from the hull, now all is well again: :)

#37 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:00

Initial damage tests. Yes, the W12 will be able to destroy her! The twin MG's might be useful after all…or the Becker?

#38 actionjoe

actionjoe
  • LocationNord, France.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:39

Great! :S!:

515024ActionjoeScreen.jpg

#39 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:51

Wow, vander that is the best looking vessel in RoF. I hope it could be made "official" as soon as possible. Just what we need, a pretty target, not to big for some daily routine seaplane work. Just perfect.

#40 10ps

10ps

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:15

That's freaking amazing Vander!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users