Photo
- - - - -

New campaign tool: Career Mission Generator

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#121 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:14

He knows about PWCG.  He made a campaign generator with less time spent flying to and from combat.

In the meantime, Falcon still has the best campaign in flight sims, and it is 16 years old.

#122 copterdrvr

copterdrvr

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:03

A question for you software wizards---why IS the campaign mode so lousy?

I'm assuming part of the difficulty experienced by those who attempt to "fix" the campaign is that the "code" used by the creators of ROF is proprietary and has not been made available to the masses?

And last but not least-why the heck don't the people that created the campaign just fix it themselves-it would have an immeasurable impact on the popularity of the sim. I would instantly trade the last 5 aircraft upgrades for a fixed campaign.

#123 sandman2575

sandman2575

Posted 03 June 2015 - 16:18

Anyway, it is so unbelievably frustrating to have a sim with such awesome graphics, FM and sound and the most pitiful career imaginable. I don't understand how the developers-ya know, the people that built all this stuff, could live with themselves after having creating an otherwise beautiful sim. I have flown campaign after campaign in the "beta" career and it stuns me that I fight the same, limited types of aircraft, over and over again. I don't remember how many planes or mods are available to fly in ROF but to try and support the developers I have purchased EVERY SINGLE THING THAT CAN BE PURCHASED IN ROF. I challenge the company to pull up my account and tell me if there is a SINGLE THING offered that I have NOT purchased and have not used a single one of the "options" longer than just to see what they did.

The number of planes available in ROF is staggering-the number of planes available to fly against in the career mode-PITIFUL. Not only will I no longer purchase any "new" items, I will never drop another penny on anything that comes from this company or any companies that are associated with them. Screw new airplane development and fix the career so I can fight against the dozens of aircraft we ALREADY HAVE AVAILABLE...

Agree with this 100%. I play ROF exclusively single-player, and every time I play I have the same nagging feeling of "God, it's almost painful to think how great this game could've been."  The foundation is excellent:  graphically gorgeous, fantastic variety of aircraft to fly, compelling flight modelling. I love the aesthetic of the game down to the design of the maps and even the choice of font. It's all extremely characterful and draws you in.  I even enjoy just looking at the 'plane-du-jour' in the display room when you load up. Stunning.

And yet the single player experience, when you boil it down, is unforgiveably dull and unimaginative, exactly as copterdrvr says. PWCG is a saving grace, but despite the tremendous work that went into it (and I have nothing but admiration and praise for Pat Wilson, believe me), it is always going to feel like a band-aid. And there's no getting past its primitive look, in marked contrast to the gorgeous UI and menus of ROF proper. And tabbing in and out between ROF and PWCG to create missions, etc., is unavoidably clunky. I'm very grateful for PWCG, but it also always raises the question:  **why was it necessary in the first place??**

777 'doubled down' on the misguided philosophy that single-player experience is unimportant in IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad -- if anything, the single-player in BOS is even worse. And I hear that 777's looking for some good soul to port PWCG over to BOS, although not sure if that's just a rumor, but again:  why should that even be necessary?  Why not deliver a robust, well-thought-out single-player experience, with dynamic, interesting campaigns, in the first place?  Along the lines of what OBD achieved in WOFF?

I suspect I'm not alone in 'bouncing' back and forth between ROF and WOFF, feeling that each has great strengths but never fully satisfied by either. WOFF's shortcomings are at least excusable -- it's built (of necessity) on the outdated MSCFS engine. The FMs are much less convincing than ROF's. Graphically, even with the 2.0 update introducing DX9 support, it can't hold a candle to ROF. But at least is gives you an interesting and quite demanding single-player experience, with a very robust AI. AI opponents in ROF don't scare me the least bit. WOFF AI opponents are genuinely hard and routinely shoot me down. It's night and day in WOFF's favor. And yet to go to WOFF from ROF is to feel inevitably let down by the sacrifice you have to make in graphics and flight modeling fidelity.

Oh well, there's no perfect game. But ROF's imperfection is a self-inflicted wound, and that's why it's so unfortunate.

#124 copterdrvr

copterdrvr

Posted 28 June 2015 - 12:04

I'm glad I came back to see what's been happening because I just saved myself a bunch of money and apparently a lot of frustration!

I was just about ready to "pull the trigger" on purchasing BOS and if the single player (which is all I play) is WORSE than ROF, there's not a chance in hell I'll purchase it----

EVER!

#125 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 28 June 2015 - 16:40

My $0.02: those who are talented at creating a realistic simulation are not necessarily talented at creating compelling gameplay.  The best flight sim campaign ever was created by someone with no prior experience with flight sims.

#126 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:07

Wow we are going way of topic here.

About the campaign mode is all what you want, some like a 100% historic, which is actually boring and some prefer the direct into action, combined all kinds of mission types. Think without a choice it will always be a frustration.

That is what i do like to see a SDK for the career mode in RoF, let modders make their own type of campaign full of mods and add-ons like in PW-CG. 777 will not put any effort in the career mode, think the modders deserve a change to improve.

@Gavagai, Just like to know what is the best fly sim campaign 

Now about BoS I do not know exactly what  the frustration is from Copterdrvr,  but now a days no combat fly sim is perfect out of the box. Even the last Batman game seems to have difficulties that they did stop the sales after releasing.   The WW2 scene is much bigger then the WW1 scene, I know there will be a campaign mode, not by 777/1C, but by the hackers/modders. Look what they have cracked on Il2-1946 and Clod, eventually the same will happen to BoS,  until that you can use this http://forum.il2stur...rt-application/

If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

2009 Rof pre-order buyer

#127 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 29 June 2015 - 14:45

Dutch2, it is Falcon 4.0.  Currently we fly the full conversion known as Falcon BMS, but it is the same campaign.

Better than a dynamic campaign, there is a persistent 24:7 war going on at all times.  So even when you are planning your next mission, other aircraft and ground forces are engaging in combat.  You can see the pilot roster of every squadron (friendly and enemy), see the pilot skill, squadron morale, and so on.  Air force squadrons and ground units can suffer attrition and the effects of good/bad morale.

That campaign system is from 1999.  No one has even attempted to match it in any flight sim title since.  Of course, you'll hear every developer say they are not going to copy someone else's campaign, but that is sour grapes. :icon_e_wink:

And one more thing... there is no real distinction in Falcon between single player and multiplayer modes.  If you are in the middle of a good campaign and want to fly with friends, you simply host your single player campaign and others can join the next sortie.

#128 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 29 June 2015 - 15:39

That campaign system is from 1999.  No one has even attempted to match it in any flight sim title since.  Of course, you'll hear every developer say they are not going to copy someone else's campaign, but that is sour grapes. :icon_e_wink:

Sour grapes has nothing to do with it.  The cost of trying to get the campaign to actually work crushed the developer.  That's why no one has attempted to match it.

Free Plank!

#129 copterdrvr

copterdrvr

Posted 30 June 2015 - 17:36

BSR, are you saying that the developers of ROF were "crushed" financially trying to fix the campaign of the program they developed in the first place?

I don't believe that for a damned second.  They managed to "program" a very few models of the aircraft that are available in the sim and those at least work-to some extent.  What is it that keeps them from adding in even just HALF of the aircraft that are already available, fully developed to include flight models, etc.?????? That ALONE would have a huge impact in improving the "feel" of the sim.

Did they create the programming with information from some other astral plane and then lost it?  They created it in the first place-if they wanted to fix it I'm sure they could.

Key is wanting to........

#130 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 30 June 2015 - 17:51

BSR, are you saying that the developers of ROF were "crushed" financially trying to fix the campaign of the program they developed in the first place?

No, I'm referring to the developers of Falcon 4,0.  The campaign model they created that everyone raves about was a financial disaster.  

Free Plank!

#131 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 30 June 2015 - 20:37

Better than a dynamic campaign, there is a persistent 24:7 war going on at all times.  So even when you are planning your next mission, other aircraft and ground forces are engaging in combat.  You can see the pilot roster of every squadron (friendly and enemy), see the pilot skill, squadron morale, and so on.  

How is being able to see the pilot roster of every squadron on the whole map a hallmark of a good campaign engine? 

#132 mj3437

mj3437

Posted 05 July 2015 - 21:34

Is this generator compatible with RoF Ver. 1.034?

MJ

#133 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 05 July 2015 - 22:30

Is this generator compatible with RoF Ver. 1.034?
MJ

Yes, I still use it. Very handy "quick fight" generator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users