- - - - -

New campaign tool: Career Mission Generator

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#81 Lemml

Lemml

Posted 12 June 2013 - 15:12

Hey stevetryagain,

About the French / British markings: I need to figure out the default skins for British and French aircraft. Then I'm able to add this.

About the bombs: That's very odd. I have already tried every setting that I have found. I noticed that a fighter dropped several bombs before going into the dogfight. Do you know a tool that doesn't have this problem where I can create a similar mission? Then I could compare both files.

Thanks!

#82 stevetryagain

stevetryagain

Posted 12 June 2013 - 15:32

Hey stevetryagain,

About the French / British markings: I need to figure out the default skins for British and French aircraft. Then I'm able to add this.

About the bombs: That's very odd. I have already tried every setting that I have found. I noticed that a fighter dropped several bombs before going into the dogfight. Do you know a tool that doesn't have this problem where I can create a similar mission? Then I could compare both files.

Thanks!
Regarding the French, all you need do is NOT assign the Sopwith Pup, Triplane, Camel, Dolphin, and SE5 scout to any French squadron. The skins will take care of themselves if you do that.

I vaguely recall that the Beta Career and PWCG do feature a no bombs loadout on patrol type missions. But it's been a while and I don't really remember.

Just answered your PM. Sorry for the delay, I can't ever remember to check that feature of this board.

#83 stevetryagain

stevetryagain

Posted 12 June 2013 - 15:38

Oh, regarding the bombs. The quick mission builder does have a tool to select load out prior to the mission. Perhaps this type a feature can be used for your game. In fact, I would really like to be able to specify in a "Settings" type feature just what the friendly and enemy ammo and fuel loadout would be prior to the mission. There are times when I would give my own squadron mates a heavy load out just to handicap them so they aren't buzzing around faster than me if I decide to give myself a heavy load.

#84 Lemml

Lemml

Posted 12 June 2013 - 16:39

Ah, great - you are right: The in-game quick mission generator can produce missions with and without bombs. I'll generate different missions and will compare them. This should help me to fix this problem.

Okay, I will disable Sopwith Pup, Triplane, Camel, Dolphin and SE5 for the French squadrons. Are there any other rules? Specific types there were not used in English squadrons? And American squadrons?

#85 stevetryagain

stevetryagain

Posted 12 June 2013 - 17:02

No DH2 or Nieuport 28 for the French.

You need to add an American Career in order to fly the Nieuport 28 in the game.

The Americans flew the Camel, Nieuport 28, Spad 13 (not sure if they flew the Spad 7 in their own squadrons. If there are no American skins for the Spad 7 then I'd not include that aircraft in the American career unless the rest of the community chimes in and says otherwise.

#86 Lemml

Lemml

Posted 12 June 2013 - 18:02

When shall the American service begin?

#87 Lemml

Lemml

Posted 12 June 2013 - 18:20

The second new version for today. ;) This will fix the problems.

- Spad 13, Sopwith Camel, Sopwith Dolphin and SE5a without bombs
- DH2, Nieuport 28, Sopwith Pup, Triplane, Camel, Dolphin and SE5a no longer assigned to French squadrons
- American squadrons (there's no American service yet, but there are already a few American ai squadrons) use only Sopwith Camel, Nieuport 28 and Spad 13

#88 RAC_Wind

RAC_Wind

Posted 12 June 2013 - 20:00

One thing witch is missing currently from ROF campaing is replacement with experience. Sometimes you should get a pilot who have been for example been on hospital and have some flying hours or kills under his wings. Or when U self have been on hospital, nothing have hapend on sq. Third thing is daily transferring pilots from sq, many times they have just landed when transferred again after day or two.
If U can change those things it would be on my opinion great improvement .

#89 BahHumbug

BahHumbug

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:38

Hi LEMML

Just tried this for the first time yesterday - really is a great piece of work. Congratulations and keep developing it. Having read all the comments, I agree with some that it would be good to be able to specify whether it's a 'quick' mission or a full one. How about just having two tick-boxes, one for 'takeoff' and one for 'landing'. Both ticked = Full mission, [Takeoff] ticked = Cold start and ends after fight, [Landing] ticked = starts in the air (as at the moment) but need to land at correct airfield afterwards. Sounds hard to do but hope its possible.

Keep up the good work…

#90 Lemml

Lemml

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:19

I have just finished and uploaded version 0.3.0 of the Career Mission Generator:

New features:

- Historical squadrons and names shown
- Transfer invitations

Only if you play well you will receive invitations to join the best squadrons and fly together with aces like Manfred von Richthofen, Rene Fonck, Edward Mannock and other aces.

Please share your experiences to help to improve this tool!

#91 stevetryagain

stevetryagain

Posted 29 June 2013 - 19:22

I have just finished and uploaded version 0.3.0 of the Career Mission Generator:

New features:

- Historical squadrons and names shown
- Transfer invitations

Only if you play well you will receive invitations to join the best squadrons and fly together with aces like Manfred von Richthofen, Rene Fonck, Edward Mannock and other aces.

Please share your experiences to help to improve this tool!

Thank you Lemml,

I've tried a few missions with your latest update, but not enough to be "invited" to join a new squadron.

However, I'm not at all clear on what benefit there is in joining a new squadron. It seems that there is no consistency in aircraft assignment within each squadron that reflects what was historically the case.

I tried a British career and was assigned to N0. 32 Squadron with the first mission flying SE5's and the second and third mission flying Spad 13, with the fourth flying SE's again.

I don't see any reason to pretend to be in a particular squadron if the aircraft assignments and skins are not historically correct. Then what would be the point of transferring to another squadron if the aircraft assignments are also random?

Furthermore, when flying the Spad 13 with 32 Squadron, sll squadron aircraft were flying with French markings and paint schemes.

Also, I think it would be beneficial to have a "leave" function similar to PWCG that allows a player to skip or move forward in time to perhaps gain the benefit of flying more advanced aircraft without having to fly the necessary missions that cause a normal advance in time.

It would also be nice to include a field that the squadron operates out of so there is the capability of landing at home plate after the combat concludes.

#92 Lemml

Lemml

Posted 29 June 2013 - 19:46

I tried a British career and was assigned to N0. 32 Squadron with the first mission flying SE5's and the second and third mission flying Spad 13, with the fourth flying SE's again. …

Thanks for your feedback, stevetryagain. I'll work on that and will try to improve it.

#93 Lemml

Lemml

Posted 29 June 2013 - 20:32

I tried a British career and was assigned to N0. 32 Squadron with the first mission flying SE5's and the second and third mission flying Spad 13, with the fourth flying SE's again.

I don't see any reason to pretend to be in a particular squadron if the aircraft assignments and skins are not historically correct. Then what would be the point of transferring to another squadron if the aircraft assignments are also random?

Furthermore, when flying the Spad 13 with 32 Squadron, sll squadron aircraft were flying with French markings and paint schemes.

Please try the following version:

This version will prefer aircrafts with historical skins available. So it should not happen anymore that you fly a Spad 13 without a historical skin when there's a SE5a with a historical skin available for your squadron.

Nevertheless, I see that sooner or later a handling is required that a squadron uses only one aircraft type for a longer period.

#94 stevetryagain

stevetryagain

Posted 29 June 2013 - 22:53

Great,

I tried the new download and did not experience any plane changes and the skins remained consistent.

After 5 kills I was invited to join another Sq. Rather novel idea. I like it! However, I would suggest you include the aircraft type the new squadron flies in order to help the player make a better choice.

Also, I still think you should include the Bristol Fighter in the English aircraft inventory.

If you could it would also be nice if you include the opposing squadron name in the mission results section. I presume it is available because the squadron skins are assigned for the mission.

Overall…showing a lot of improvement.

Thanks Lemml :S!:

#95 Lemml

Lemml

Posted 30 June 2013 - 15:37

I noticed that aces were not transferred to the historical correct squadron from time to time, but remained in their original squadron.

This bug is fixed in version 0.3.2:

(Save game is compatible to 0.3.0 and later)

#96 kennel

kennel

Posted 04 July 2013 - 23:57

Hi

How do I install this, I have downloaded it but am a loss on where to place the files.

thanks

#97 Lemml

Lemml

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:44

You can extract it anywhere.

#98 kennel

kennel

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:12

So I can place it into the root ROF folder?

#99 Lemml

Lemml

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:11

You can put it into the ROF folder or anywhere else. It will either detect the ROF installation automatically or you have to set the ROF installation folder in the .ini file. I would suggest to simply put it into its own Program files folder.

#100 kennel

kennel

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:34

Thankyou

#101 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 13 July 2013 - 19:49

Thanks Lemml for this Tool. Just found out about it,I somehow missed it earlier.

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#102 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 28 July 2013 - 23:08

Is there any way this could have an in-game GUI icon, like the PWCG has?

#103 rotagen

rotagen

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:56

Great idea. I always wanted a career that started EARLY in the war and moved progressively using planes appropriate for the year.

Also, I'm having no luck finding ANY enemy planes using PWCG, even though I have air activity on high.

After 4 completed missions, I feel like I spent a couple hours watching the grass grow.

#104 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 09 January 2014 - 18:04

For me this piece of software can not stand in the shadows of PW-CG.
If there are no activities in PWCG, then your doing something wrong and I would suggest to post this on the PWCG subforum.
If satisfied to this rudimentary software, were the development seems to be stopped and still not finished, who I'm I to keep you away from this software, luckily we are all people with different taste. So use it and enjoy this ROF game.

I still think the only usefull of this homebrew would be a static campaign tool were custom made campaigns like Pragsters Spiderweb and flying furie could be implementated. Already ask that to Lemm, think this could be the only way to be different from that much better PW-CG.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#105 rotagen

rotagen

Posted 16 January 2014 - 20:53

My PWCG missions were all early Fokker EIII missions for the german side. Since ROF campaign has zero early war missions for the german side and seems to just throw you into a DVII, I wanted to try something new. I have a feeling the lack of enemy aircraft for the early years is a shortcoming in the ROF game itself.

I'm just getting back into the sim, I'm more of a single player campaign buff, I find the multiplayer to get quite dull as back in the day they were all just hectic dogfights over a lake map(not very typical of WW1). And the other servers had few people and long flight times to find any action.

So I got into the mission builder with the idea that I would construct my own campaign and share with others.. OH BOY, that was completely futile. I've never seen a more difficult, non user-friendly program, very inneficient and unwieldy, anyone who has attempted to use that thing would agree.

I'm thinking the game engine itself is so difficult to modify, that is the reason there are serious shortcomings with the single player game, and so little interesting content in terms of campaigns. It makes me want to reinstall First Eagles (which also has its issues in terms of flight models etc), just to work with something that is expandable and fun.

#106 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 17 January 2014 - 00:01

Great idea. I always wanted a career that started EARLY in the war and moved progressively using planes appropriate for the year.

Also, I'm having no luck finding ANY enemy planes using PWCG, even though I have air activity on high.

After 4 completed missions, I feel like I spent a couple hours watching the grass grow.

PWCG 15.3 had something wrong that wouldn't generate many fights. Try PWCG 15.4 and you'll see a world of difference (as in night and day difference). But PWCG is not an arcade game generator, so if you're looking for a fight in the first few minutes of climbing out it won't be for you.

Also, PWCG is dynamic and knows where the battles are, so in 1916 pick a squad near Verdun in the Spring of 1916 or move to the Somme region in the Summer of 1916 for the most air activity. Look at the Intel map to see where the opposing squads are located as they will move around over time following the great battles. Choose your squad accordingly or when looking for some lighter duty you can choose a squad in a more quiet sector :)

#107 rotagen

rotagen

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:32

Thanks for the info !

#108 Lemml

Lemml

Posted 21 January 2014 - 18:23

Please see the Career Mission Generator as a quick instant action tool. PWCG is for flying and seeking enemies. This tool here will bring you right into the battle. It's for a different target audience.

#109 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 21 January 2014 - 19:35

Nope, it is just a matter of adjustments in PWCG, wanting air starts, length to action, amount of planes [enemy/friendly] etc. this all can be adjusted in PW-CG. In that perspective, Sorry to say, I think, your rudimentary software does not have any improvement to PW-CG. Like I wrote down earlier; the only way to be distinctive from PW-CG will be the implementation of the mission packs from guys like Pragster Spiderweb/flyingfury or Klemtovich. Try them, believe they are excellent missions. A static campaign tool, like we already did see in IL2, just click on the mission you want to fly.

Another advantage could be if, having failures in the installation PW-CG, [same could happen to yours], this could be a good alternative. And it is always good to have that choice and like I said earlier if be satisfy on CMG, stay to CMG. :D

BTW are the brown square spots that propose to be hangars still in CMG :cry:
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#110 Lemml

Lemml

Posted 09 March 2014 - 13:17

Okay :| Guess, I won't spend any further development time into it then.

#111 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 09 March 2014 - 14:00

Okay :| Guess, I won't spend any further development time into it then.

That was never be the intention from my side, sorry if it looks like that, :oops: hope you did read also my red remarks on my postings below, just in case. :)

As I wrote down it is always good, to have a choice. On the otherhand, still believe that PW-CG can not be beaten and your strength of software knowledge, should be in another niche, that is still forgotten by PW-CG. So why going in the same row as PW-CG :?:

I'm trying to learn JAVA, but for me it is very difficult, but I do know that there will be users for a static campaign manager, which will containing those splendid mission packs [=pragster/klemtovic/criquet] .
I did made a hand written, flow-chart, about that idea and if you and other ROF members are interested we could discus this further on pm. Think for somebody who is familiar to JAVA this would be a piece of cake.
:S!:

#112 Lemml

Lemml

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:55

No problem from my side! I respect your opinion. Furthermore, I prefer it when people say the truth.

It would be worse to spend much development time in something that no-one needs because there are already superior tools.

#113 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:14

Hi Lemml, The effort is still certainly appreciated by all. Even if the campaign generator has already been developed, there are still other things that RoF could use your talents on. A B-Career modifier would be great for example. A program that can take a players current B-Career mission and auto-generate extra aircraft and objects to make it more interesting.

#114 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:48

A program that can take a players current B-Career mission and auto-generate extra aircraft and objects to make it more interesting.

While not wanting to discourage anyone from trying something like this, I suspect this would be doomed to failure. I was working on an idea a year or two ago for an overlay career-mission modifier that would inject historical/ace skins into career missions (back before I got access to the career mode config files to inject them that way).

My plan was somewhat similar to what happens with PWCG, but sort of in reverse - i.e., to quit the game just before flying a career mission, open the mission file and apply the skin-assignment algorithms outside of RoF and save the altered mission back down, and then go back into RoF and fly it. However, the idea foundered because the career mode apparently regenerates its missions every time you go in to play it, so anything you've done to the mission outside of RoF seems to be ignored or over-written when you go back into the game to try to fly it. (I also tried to alt-tab out of the game (leaving it running) and go out and edit the mission file and then jump back in, but the changes get ignored).

Of course, perhaps someone with more programming smarts than I have (which wouldn't be hard) might be able to figure out some way to make it work, so as I said I don't want to sound too discouraging here.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#115 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 11 March 2014 - 18:20

A program that can take a players current B-Career mission and auto-generate extra aircraft and objects to make it more interesting.

While not wanting to discourage anyone from trying something like this, I suspect this would be doomed to failure. I was working on an idea a year or two ago for an overlay career-mission modifier that would inject historical/ace skins into career missions (back before I got access to the career mode config files to inject them that way).

My plan was somewhat similar to what happens with PWCG, but sort of in reverse - i.e., to quit the game just before flying a career mission, open the mission file and apply the skin-assignment algorithms outside of RoF and save the altered mission back down, and then go back into RoF and fly it. However, the idea foundered because the career mode apparently regenerates its missions every time you go in to play it, so anything you've done to the mission outside of RoF seems to be ignored or over-written when you go back into the game to try to fly it. (I also tried to alt-tab out of the game (leaving it running) and go out and edit the mission file and then jump back in, but the changes get ignored).

Of course, perhaps someone with more programming smarts than I have (which wouldn't be hard) might be able to figure out some way to make it work, so as I said I don't want to sound too discouraging here.

Think at this point we have to wait for the hackers from the BoS scene, think WW2 does have a bigger community, so normaly the chance of having a member that can handle the code would be much bigger.

#116 Kattern

Kattern
  • LocationWrocław / Poland

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:49

Great idea!

I remember Lowengrin Dynamic Campaign Generator for IL2 Sturmovik, very useful!
You can find it here - http://www.lowengrin.com/news.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.lowengrin.com/news.php

Have a nice day!

Kattern

#117 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 28 May 2015 - 16:18

Stumbled upon this thread (again) today after a somewhat vacation from RoF (came back this month, after several months absence), and would like to say that I was a big fan of this tool, even being also an user of PWCG. I think they served different purposes. This tool was excellent to make quick missions, specially for those who doesn't have much time to fly. Sort of a "quick fix" for a "career feeling". PWCG is very well done, but the missions are long ones, and very often I just haven't enough time to play them.

So, I'm still using the latest version of Career Mission Generator, together with PWCG and multiplayer ROF.

Cheers.

#118 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 29 May 2015 - 16:17

Stumbled upon this thread (again) today after a somewhat vacation from RoF (came back this month, after several months absence), and would like to say that I was a big fan of this tool, even being also an user of PWCG. I think they served different purposes. This tool was excellent to make quick missions, specially for those who doesn't have much time to fly. Sort of a "quick fix" for a "career feeling". PWCG is very well done, but the missions are long ones, and very often I just haven't enough time to play them.

So, I'm still using the latest version of Career Mission Generator, together with PWCG and multiplayer ROF.

Cheers.

Seems somebody did read my posting about this tool at the RoF forum couple of weeks ago http://riseofflight....area-red-baron/  or at : http://forum.il2stur...ing-experience/   

Still think it is a pity that the designer was not going to a complete different direction. An static campaign mode, for all the great missions like spiderweb or Flying Fury are more then welcome.  Great to see that the Bosparcher is been released. 

:icon_e_wink:

#119 copterdrvr

copterdrvr

Posted 31 May 2015 - 21:23

I've never understood why some people find it necessary to denigrate a persons attempt to improve something when they themselves have absolutely NOTHING to offer other than opinions that I certainly couldn't give a rats ass about......

Anyway, it is so unbelievably frustrating to have a sim with such awesome graphics, FM and sound and the most pitiful career imaginable. I don't understand how the developers-ya know, the people that built all this stuff, could live with themselves after having creating an otherwise beautiful sim. I have flown campaign after campaign in the "beta" career and it stuns me that I fight the same, limited types of aircraft, over and over again. I don't remember how many planes or mods are available to fly in ROF but to try and support the developers I have purchased EVERY SINGLE THING THAT CAN BE PURCHASED IN ROF. I challenge the company to pull up my account and tell me if there is a SINGLE THING offered that I have NOT purchased and have not used a single one of the "options" longer than just to see what they did.

The number of planes available in ROF is staggering-the number of planes available to fly against in the career mode-PITIFUL. Not only will I no longer purchase any "new" items, I will never drop another penny on anything that comes from this company or any companies that are associated with them. Screw new airplane development and fix the career so I can fight against the dozens of aircraft we ALREADY HAVE AVAILABLE...

It's really a shame because I am a commercial and ex-military helicopter pilot with over 8000 hours of flight time and have also flown flight sims since the days of Gunship and I've never flown a sim that brought the true sense of "flight" to a computer screen like ROF. I'll never understand how the developers could leave us with such a flat, boring, career mode that doesn't even use a small fraction of the available aircraft when the rest of ROF is so spectacular.

We shouldn't have to hope that good folks take it upon themselves to invest their time and energy to try and fix something that the developers should have fixed YEARS AGO!!!!!! For God sakes, you built it-fix it.

#120 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:52

Don't bother yourself with RoF campaign, play PWCG instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users