Photo
- - - - -

Practice, practice, practice! (serial dog fight missions)

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 Sensenmann

Sensenmann

Posted 09 October 2009 - 23:51

Practice makes perfect, or at the very least it makes us better, and in that light I made these missions in order to help make practice a little more fruitful, and hopefully, fun.

Installation Instructions: To install the files, unzip it into your …\Rise of Flight\data\Missions folder.

There are four missions included in the zip file. Each has respawning enemies to create non-stop dog fighting similar to Russian Roulette. Unlike Russian Roulette, they spawn randomly, whether it be with random skill level or random planes with random skill level.

The first mission is called Scrambler: The player starts out over enemy territory in the middle of four aerodromes. Each aerodrome is marked with an icon that indicates the skill level of the pilots located there. Fly within 1500 meters of the observation balloon positioned at the aerodromes and a random enemy craft will scramble to meet you. Your primary objective is to survive shooting down at least one enemy plane.

Note: The observation balloons are indestructible, as destroying them would stop all spawning in the immediate area. They are, once again, tagged as friendly so they will be excluded from the viewing of enemy aircraft.

The second mission is called Up and at 'em: The player starts at a friendly aerodrome and is to fly up to meet the onslaught of enemy aircraft. In this one the enemy aircraft type spawns randomly at random skill levels. Your primary objective is to survive shooting down at least one enemy plane. The secondary objective is to land at your aerodrome, a task that is made a bit easier by the friendly AAA covering your approach.

The final two missions are variations on the original Russian Roulette and are subtitled accordingly. Russian Roulette (randomized) starts out like the original version but instead of facing the usual line up, you get a random plane at a random skill level. Russian Roulette (ramped) starts out a bit less random, beginning with Novice (low) level pilots, working through all the available enemy scouts and then moving on to the next skill level. If you finish with the Aces then is starts random spawning exactly as described in the Russian Roulette (randomized) version.

I have also put in a bit of code that will lead to the possibility of facing multiple opponents. If you down 10 enemies there is a 20% chance of a second spawn. Kill 10 more under the 2v1 scenario and there is a 5% chance of a third spawn. Survive that long enough to get 10 kills and there is a 1% chance of it becoming a 4v1. The only exception to this is Russian Roulette (ramped) which has no chance multiple spawning until you finish the skill ramp.

Flying with enemy icons on will inform you of the plane/skill level spawned. (The skill levels are renamed as Novice, Skilled, Veteran and Ace.) Friendly icons will help with finding yourself on the map and provide an indication of your distance from the observation balloons in Scrambler.

Theses missions currently have the complete plane set available. As more planes are added I will update and repost the missions.

Any comments are more than welcome. Thank you and enjoy!

Attached Files

#2 Seiseki

Seiseki

Posted 10 October 2009 - 00:48

Thanks, will try this tomorrow when I get home!! :D

#3 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 10 October 2009 - 00:54

These sound awesome! Will try them this weekend for sure. Thanks!

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#4 Herodotus

Herodotus
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:47

Thanks for your hard work, mate. I will d/l and fire these up in the morning.

#5 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 10 October 2009 - 06:22

Many thanks for sharing these. I just downloaded and had a couple of quick flights before going out. They are looking brilliant, this is the first time I have played for a while as I lost interest when the snipers were introduced vide the last patch.
I think your efforts with this present will renew interest for a lot of us (oldies) who find the mission editor daunting and unworkable.
Great Mate, I will give this a good workout tomorrow - or this evening if we are not too late getting home.
Thanks again.

#6 Sensenmann

Sensenmann

Posted 11 October 2009 - 17:01

New missions uploaded. Now includes both versions of my revised Russian Roulette and all missions include the chance for multiple spawns if you survive long enough.

Currently there is a 10% chance of an additional enemy plane spawned if you exceed 20 kills. Another additional spawn after 10 kills with a 5% chance. And finally a 1% chance after an additional 5 kills.

On the Scrambler mission this only affects the current aerodrome you are attacking. If you are currently working over the Novices and get up to 4 spawns in a pass and decide to fly over to another aerodrome there will only be 1 spawn until you get sufficient kills for multiple spawns.

The download contains the complete "Practice, practice, practice" folder. If you have already downloaded the original upload just replace the original files with the new.

Again, all feedback is welcome. Thank you and enjoy.

*** LINK EDITED OUT…New Link in first post!

#7 WillyVonWonka

WillyVonWonka

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:30

Sensenmann, great job on the missions. It's much more enjoyable with Scrambler and Up and At'em. I've been flying the last few hours and I'm much less frustrated with the rinse and repeat tactics and repetitious default Russian Roulette. I like the few minutes it takes to get to a balloon in Scrambler. Such pretty country from up high. I like that I'm actually fighting the "enemy" rather than the default Russian Roulette planes from both sides. Excellent job I hope that you'll come out with some more mission goodies. I also got after five kills the additional airplane…that was cool!

Coop

#8 Sensenmann

Sensenmann

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:57

Coop, glad you are enjoying the missions. I do have a question for you however: Which of the missions were you flying when you got multiple spawns after five kills? This is not supposed to happen at such an early stage, and I am wondering where the bug is, so that I can remedy it. Thanks.

#9 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 12 October 2009 - 14:21

I will definitely have a go at these they sound like just the thing for me! Thanks!

Would it be an idea to have scrambler as a 2 (or more) player coop mission (with 2 enemies)?

Cheers,

Joris

#10 Sensenmann

Sensenmann

Posted 12 October 2009 - 14:50

It would not be a big deal to turn any of these into two (or more) player, coop missions, but before I get tangled in adding multiple players to these, I would like to be sure that any bugs are definitely ironed out.

What I would need to know, however, is how you would prefer the coop setup: having the players flying the same plane (the ideal) or having mixed plane line ups (not so nice considering the vast array of missions needed to make that happen).

Of course if NeoQB would come out with a player spawn MCU where it just creates a starting location for whatever plane the player chooses… (HINT, HINT! :P )

#11 WillyVonWonka

WillyVonWonka

Posted 12 October 2009 - 21:07

Hey, Sensenmann. I believe I was incorrect about the 5 kills and an extra plane. It seemed like it was more closely to ten, but still I'm certain it was less than ten. It appeared along with the other which I shot down quickly but before I could get back I stalled while throwing my SPAD around the sky too low to the ground, so I didn't get to see if it was the same plane. Sorry for the vague description…

Coop

#12 Mc.Duff

Mc.Duff

Posted 12 October 2009 - 21:21

I've just dragged myself away from flying these to say thank you. These are fantastic quick missions with tons of replay value.
These have really breathed new life into this sim for me as I have limited flying time and usually only manage to fly a couple of RR's which I was getting very bored of.
Thanks again, I'm off to do a bit more vulching :mrgreen:

#13 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 12 October 2009 - 23:51

I've just dragged myself away from flying these to say thank you. These are fantastic quick missions with tons of replay value.
These have really breathed new life into this sim for me as I have limited flying time and usually only manage to fly a couple of RR's which I was getting very bored of.
Thanks again, I'm off to do a bit more vulching :mrgreen:

Bump

#14 Sensenmann

Sensenmann

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:00

To Coop: Don't worry about it. For now I am just going to keep running through these, looking for glitches and having fun.

I did find one thing that I will be attempting to remedy. In Scrambler, I have seen a few planes takeoff but not become aggressive or defensive, but flew merrily along regardless of what I was doing (including shooting them). As this is a sporadic thing I have to assume it is some error with the "On Takeoff Message" as all the planes are set to get the Attack command when they takeoff, and sometimes they just don't do this. To remedy this I will be adding some tweaks to ensure that they get the command, but I probably won't be releasing this fix until some more changes are made (hoping to find the "too early multi-spawn" bug and fix that too). Just so you all know it is there and being repaired.

And to all those who have thanked me… Thank you for downloading these. :D

I am very glad you are enjoying them. I made these for the very same reason most of you seem to like them: I felt Russian Roulette was a bit too repetitive and we needed some more variety for quick rounds and practicing.

Also, I am working on a new mission for practicing against the two-seaters, as well as some more coop missions for the T&T server. Hope to get them up and running soon.

#15 WillyVonWonka

WillyVonWonka

Posted 13 October 2009 - 22:32

Sensenmann, I'm getting the same reaction, or lack there of, from enemy aircraft taking off. I'm just relentlessly, and with some guilty pleasure I might add, pumping round after round into the enemy's plane with nary a defensive or offensive maneuver. Approximately out of the 15 planes I shot down last night 2/3 or less seem to be oblivious to my attack. Now if I attack a plane while it's taking off does that change the "mode" they're in? i.e., if I wait and let them take off they seem to react, but before that it's just "merrily on my way." Moreover, Is it possible to bring the multi-spawn in sooner? Or at least with a higher percentage/chance of an extra spawn?
Thanks,
Coop

#16 Sensenmann

Sensenmann

Posted 13 October 2009 - 22:49

Coop, I am pretty certain attacking them before they are off the ground is not what is affecting them not receiving the attack command because they still do not get the command if you let them get to altitude. It seems to me that the "On Takeoff" message is buggy and not entirely reliable.

As far as the timing/odds of multi-spawning: I can make it occur earlier and/or give it a greater chance of occurring, but I will only do this for the 2v1 scenario. I don't know of too many people who want to tangle with three or more sniper AI.

What do yo think? Ten kills with a 20% chance of becoming 2v1?

#17 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 13 October 2009 - 22:55

Just wanted to chime in with a 'Thank you' as well. These missions are superb. They're all I'm playing now (previously played ROF Roulette missions exclusively).

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#18 WillyVonWonka

WillyVonWonka

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:14

Sensenmann, That sounds great, 20% chance at 10 kills! It seems that by the time I get to 20 kills hoping for a spawn I'm pooped. So, It'd be wonderful if you could get a higher percentage at 10 kills. You're correct as well that more than 2 vs 1 would be disastrous…anyway, I appreciate your friendly effort. :)

Coop

#19 Sensenmann

Sensenmann

Posted 14 October 2009 - 20:17

OK, here you go… fixed a few things and re-posted.

LINK EDITED OUT…you can find the link in the first post!

The multi-spawn now starts after 10 kills (with a 20% chance to become a 2v1), 10 more kills under 2v1 and there is a 5% chance of it becoming a 3v1, 10 more kills and there is a 1% chance of it becoming a 4v1. Good job and good luck if you make it to a 4v1! :shock:

Also repaired the problem with the AI flying a merry circle without engaging or evading you. Now they receive the command to attack 1 minute after spawn, upon takeoff, or upon taking damage. Which ever comes first! So, the AI are pretty much guaranteed to become aggressive.

Furthermore, the Scrambler mission was not giving proper mission results: it was supposed to give a "Victory" result if you managed to down at least one plane and still be alive when you finished the mission. It is corrected now. :)

Hoping all the bugs are gone now. Well, at least all the bugs I have control over… Neoqb still has some work to do. ;)

I am still willing to make these into coop missions, but would like some feedback on things like how many players, plane set variety, etc. So if you are interested, please let me know.

#20 WillyVonWonka

WillyVonWonka

Posted 15 October 2009 - 00:58

You rock, Sensenmann!!! Awesome! I will give it a jolly good thrashing here in a few minutes. I can't wait…thank you very much.

Coop

#21 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:26

Scrambler is proving to be great BnZ training. Thanks!

#22 =IRFC=Sparrow

=IRFC=Sparrow

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:14

Salute Sensenmann:

Many thanks for these. The effort is much appreciated Sir.

#23 Papa_K

Papa_K

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:29

Thank you Sensenmann! Scrambler is a very nice mission.

It's good for some controlled air-to-air setups, a little strafing (AKA offline vulching) target practice, and even some bombing practice.

#24 Sensenmann

Sensenmann

Posted 01 November 2009 - 03:37

Download Practice, practice, practice!.zip from FileFactory.com

OK here you go… have edited in the new planes into the Scrambler and Up and at 'em missions. Will be putting up another update as soon as I get the Russian Roulette revisions finished (bit trickier to edit in more planes).

This is a complete update, so if you haven't grabbed these files before it still includes the Russian Roulette files sans Camel and Dr.1.

Just need to put the Practice, practice, practice! folder in your missions folder and enjoy!

#25 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:35

Of course if NeoQB would come out with a player spawn MCU where it just creates a starting location for whatever plane the player chooses… (HINT, HINT! :P )

This would actually be helpful for the "All the planes I own are taken already" issue as well.

#26 WillyVonWonka

WillyVonWonka

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:25

Thank you, once again, Sensenmann! I'll give it go here shortly…awesome job!

aviator66 (Coop)

#27 LeReverend

LeReverend

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:31

Good work
Thank´s a lot :P

#28 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 01 November 2009 - 15:15

I'll definitely be installing these again once the RR missions are updated =D

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#29 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:07

Thank you Sensenmann for this greatest pratice so far!
I try both scrambler or up and at'em, and the two are very good. (a little preference for up and at'em, because of the take of)
We can realy try every plane, and realise there goodness or badness in front of opposite airplanes.
With all easier options off, at my big surprise, my score is better on the Pfalz 3 than anyone else!! Even against an ace, when he finaly come out…but i run out of gasoline!
Fokker dr1 is too difficult to fly for me…for the moment. One or two hard turns, and hello the ground…
Anyway i recommand your practice because it's a lot more enjoyable than the russian roulette of the game.
Good job.

#30 Rock

Rock

Posted 02 November 2009 - 13:31

Thanks Sensenmann!! Your hard work is appreciated. You should be on the ROF payroll. :mrgreen:

#31 Endy

Endy

Posted 02 November 2009 - 19:19

Thanks very much for this little gem Sensenmann.

Only just discovered this thread today {2nd Nov}, downloaded and tried the scramble mission for a couple of hours this afternoon, great stuff.

#32 Sensenmann

Sensenmann

Posted 02 November 2009 - 22:07

LINK EDITED OUT … see first post for latest

Here you go… again! :D

All the missions are now updated to 1.008 with the new planes.

And, thanks very much to the efforts of MattM, none of the AI is carrying bombs anymore! :o

The bomb free AI is a result of Matt digging about in the LUAScripts and discovering the code for removing the bombs. As a result of this there are some new LUAscripts included with this update. These do not replace your existing scripts, they are in addition to the originals, so no damage will occur to your game.

This does necessitate a change in how these missions are to be added to your game: instead of unzipping into your Missions folder, you need to unzip into your Rise of Flight folder.

The file structure has otherwise been unchanged, so if you already are using these, you need not worry about deleting the older files. Everything should be working as before.

Enjoy!

#33 =IRFC=Sparrow

=IRFC=Sparrow

Posted 03 November 2009 - 14:02

Salute Sensenmann:

Many thx.

#34 LeReverend

LeReverend

Posted 03 November 2009 - 16:27

Hi
fine work :!:

#35 Endy

Endy

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:36

Hi,

Just a little bump, in case anyone has missed this gem. I really think it should be stickied.
Along with Lasers multi dogfights, and Patrick Wilsons campaign. This is also a classic {for one on one dogfights}.

Salute to all you good people for sharing with the community.

#36 gpang788

gpang788

Posted 25 November 2009 - 15:24

can anyone repost the file? Hit the limit with file factory

Thanks

#37 Sensenmann

Sensenmann

Posted 25 November 2009 - 16:18

can anyone repost the file? Hit the limit with file factory

Thanks

Sorry about that.

I will re-upload the files shortly (looking into a better files server)…

…nice, I can finally attach the file here :D So no more mucking about with external links, stupid advertisements and limits!

#38 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 04 December 2009 - 23:58

Heya Sensenmann, I am having a problem with Scrambler in 1.009. I flew to the Ace aerodrome and was buzzing around a couple mins and nobody was coming up. I went down for a closer look and it had spawned two enemy planes, a Pfalz D.IIIa and a Fokker D.VII. Both were still sitting on the ground and had not started their engines. Looks like something got conflicted in the patch somehow.

S!

#39 Sensenmann

Sensenmann

Posted 05 December 2009 - 00:19

Sorry about that. I was hoping that the lack of new planes would mean that a simple recompiling of these would get things up and running but found out this morning that that was not the case. For better or worse, 1.009 changed the way AI works. Some new and interesting things possible, but also some old working things need to be reworked.

I am already on top of it and will have the new ones put up as soon as possible. Hoping sometime this weekend, Monday at the latest.

#40 Endy

Endy

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:14

Hi Sensenmann,

Looking at your previous post, I'm really glad you're keeping this alive.
I love strafing the planes as they are taking off.
At the moment my "scramble" doesn't load at all, it starts to, then goes back to main screen.
I look forward to your update, thanks once again. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users