Photo
- - - - -

Squad skins (PWCG)

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 pomjon

pomjon

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:14

Ok no problem them. I'm not sure if I'm seeing all the skins available or not when I browse them in quick missions.

The folder structures look like this:

[Skin name] / PWCG Skins / data / skins / [aircraft name]

OR

PWCG Skins / data / skins / [aircraft name]

- In other words the second folder structure is without the preceding folder with the skin name. Not sure if this impact anything.

#42 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:18

Panther - you are right, if the requested skin does not exist then it goes to the default. My problem is that I do not want that. I have hierarchies that I want to cascade through, checking for the existence of the preferred skin and dropping to the next and then the next. Default is my last resort. That's why I want some means of determining which, if any, skins are archived.

Well, since I haven't been able to find these few "hidden" default skins and don't know what they're called, I'm not sure how you would have the names of those hidden files to be checking with your cascading hierarchy algorithm. Where do you get the file name that you start with, to check first, before proceeding through to the next skin in your hierarchy?

If you're getting them from some data I supplied, then we may need to talk a bit. The way the beta Career mode works (and thus my data has been developed), when I know that a unit is supposed to be using the generic default skin (e.g., because the unit has no specific squadron markings during some particular time period) and I do not know what the file name of that generic default skin actually is (because it seems to be one of the "hidden" files), I will simply use a made up file name that doesn't exist (counting on the fact that the game will substitute the generic default skin I want it to use when it can't find the non-existing file name).

If those made up names are some of the ones you're having trouble finding, I've flagged those (or most of them anyway - I may have missed a few) in my database, so if you tell me the ones you're concerned about I can probably confirm for you whether that's what they are.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 65.jpg

#43 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:27

Ok no problem them. I'm not sure if I'm seeing all the skins available or not when I browse them in quick missions.

The folder structures look like this:

[Skin name] / PWCG Skins / data / skins / [aircraft name]

OR

PWCG Skins / data / skins / [aircraft name]

- In other words the second folder structure is without the preceding folder with the skin name. Not sure if this impact anything.

Well, again, I'm not sure about the structure of the packages Pat has made available, but I can say that the folder structure you describe above sounds a bit off/wrong.

When the dust settles, these skins need to wind up in the correct RoF folders or they're not going to work in the game. The exact folder names vary by plane type, of course, but as a general matter the final folder structure should look like the following (with the skin files in the last folder mentioned) - using Sopwith Camels as an example:

…Rise of Flight\data\graphics\Skins\SopCamel

If you're going to use JSGME to install/activate the skins, you would want to create a "mod" package to put in your MODS folder that would look something like the following (again, with the skin files themselves in the last folder mentioned):

PWCG Camel Skins for JSGME\data\graphics\Skins\SopCamel

Hope that helps.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 65.jpg

#44 Gewehr98

Gewehr98

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:06

I just wanted to mention that I was flying in my Roland C.IIa career a little while ago and a random Roland in another flight had the black tail skin as opposed to the historical default skin, which I thought was pretty cool.

I hope the historical squad skin database Pat's working on gives a little more variety without things getting too flying circus-y.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users