- - - - -

Saitek Rudder Pedals

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 yaan98

yaan98

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:54

I just bought the rudder pedals… :D

Tried searching in google for how to set up the pedals, but came up blank.

How can I use both right and left pedals in the game. It seems to only take the assignment of either the right or left but not both at the same time. Is it possible or am I missing something?

Cheers.

#2 Waldo.Pepper

Waldo.Pepper

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:06

Assign the brakes to a key(board) press in game. Then use the programming software that Saitek provides so that each pedal produces a press of that key.

Here's the manual as pdf to teach you how.

http://www.saitek.co...T_Manual_En.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.saitek.co...T_Manual_En.pdf

#3 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:28

I don't use (or like) the Saitek software.

Just set 'em in the RoF Options menu.

If I recall correctly, you push in one side and set it and hit Apply, then push the other side and set it and hit Apply.

#4 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 08 April 2013 - 22:21

Hmm - I don't remember having any trouble setting up my Saitek pedals in RoF, or having to do it separately for each pedal. IIRC, I didn't have to mess with the Saitek control software, and I just pushed one of the pedals for the yaw control command setting in RoF and it assigned it automatically like a joystick axis.

(Note - I didn't try assigning the toe brakes to anything since the RoF planes don't have brakes and I find the brake things too fiddley to use for any other purpose).

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#5 gwalch

gwalch

Posted 17 April 2013 - 14:59

Hope it ok to stick this in here?
I had ordered Logitech G940,stick,throtlr and peddals but it seems they are no longer available new.
I was wondering therefore,if any of you could recomend something that is available either as a set,or as compateble units?
I wanted the G940 because HotTom got me worked up about force feedback but apparently I will have to forget that.
O yes,I am not willing to pay silly prices for a second hand Microsoft sidewinder or second hand anything else for that matter.
I know many of you will have given advice on this matter before,but there are too many pages to trawl through and some are already outdated.
Thank you.
Edit;had a look through forums,now more confused than before!
So,only one question.If you have joystick with twist for rudder,must it be disabled in some way before peddals can be used?

#6 der_zahn

der_zahn

Posted 17 April 2013 - 22:59

No it does not have to be disabled because RoF does not pick up any default connections by a joystick, you have to program in what you want to use.

#7 gwalch

gwalch

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:08

Thank you der zahn.
I am no good with all this computer stuff!

#8 Thaatu

Thaatu

Posted 28 September 2013 - 22:36

On the same subject, I can't get Pro Flight Rudder Pedals to function as rudder. It's supposed to have three axes: Left Toe, Right Toe and Rudder. Of these only left and right toe show activity. When I try to assign the pedals to yaw in RoF, it only recognizes the first pedal I add and imagines it to be the rudder. In game if the pedal is released, rudder is 100% left and if the pedal is pushed down all the way, rudder is 100% right. The rudder is centered when pushing the pedal halfway. The other pedal doesn't do anything. Although I tried assigning both pedals to yaw it only recognizes the first one. I've been trying to disable left and right toe as axes, in hopes that it would animate the rudder axis, but I haven't been able to figure out how. The drivers are up to date and I've been using Smart Technology's Profile Editor. Most likely the problem is me being an idiot, but any help is appreciated!

#9 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 28 September 2013 - 23:08

Did you a Calibration in Windows?

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#10 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:23

Hmm - I don't remember having any trouble setting up my Saitek pedals in RoF, or having to do it separately for each pedal. IIRC, I didn't have to mess with the Saitek control software, and I just pushed one of the pedals for the yaw control command setting in RoF and it assigned it automatically like a joystick axis.

(Note - I didn't try assigning the toe brakes to anything since the RoF planes don't have brakes and I find the brake things too fiddley to use for any other purpose).

Same here.
Just used the RoF setup and pushed one side then the other and then apply.
But you do have to hit apply a second time at the bottom of the page, if my …. umm… whatever you call it is correct.
Cheers,
Spag. :)

Bite off more than you can chew.

Then chew like Hell ! ! !

#11 Thaatu

Thaatu

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:44

Did you a Calibration in Windows?
How? Game controller settings allows me to assign deadzones and to test axes (of which rudder axis is static), but there's no calibration option anywhere. Profile editor doesn't offer axis calibration either. The pedals themselves work fine, but apparently RoF doesn't recognize that there are two pedals instead of one. I would imagine configuring the pedals to function as rudder and not as independent left and right toe, like in cars, would fix the problem, but how do you do that?

#12 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:20

You go into the Windows Control Panel/Printer and Devices and right click on the device. There you select the upper option "Gamecontroller settings" or something like that,sorry no idea hows it called in the English version of Windows7. In the Gamecontroller list you select the Pedals and click on Properties. There you should see 2 tabs "Settings" and "Test",under settings you have the option to chose Calibration.

#13 Thaatu

Thaatu

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:10

There's only "Test", "Deadzones" and "About". Under About tab there's a lot of official advertisement for SST Programming Software, which is supposed to be used for optimization, but from what I gather the software is discontinued. Any ideas?

Thanks for sticking with me. I got my new TrackIR to work without any hassle, but this is beyond me.

Edit: Removed a smilie to emphasize the annoyance of my situation.

#14 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:14

Try it without the Saitek Software running or Uninstall it completly. Sorry,I have no other Clue then what might be the problem…maybe the Pedals are defective?

#15 Thaatu

Thaatu

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:39

There's probably some annoyingly simple explanation. The pedals work great in ARMA2, so logically they should work in RoF also. Too bad "logic" is incompatible with IT-stuff. Thanks for the help anyway. I'll continue narrowing it down.

Edit: And the answer is: I'm an idiot. After looking for the answer for hours I came upon this. I thought the rudder axis should work by pressing the toe brakes, but as the rudder tension was at maximum, I didn't realize rudder works by sliding the toe brakes forward. Thanks for the help, but a moron has to learn on his own. 8-)

#16 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 29 September 2013 - 18:26

I just noticed something odd - I went in and deleted my yaw setting in RoF and then tried to set up my pedals again. The first time, I just pressed my left pedal, and it came up with Joystick 1 - X axis (which I thought was a little weird, because I thought I had seen "T" axis in there before). When I tried my rudder in game, it didn't move when I pushed my rudder pedals.

I then went back to my control settings and this time tried pushing only my right pedal. This time, it registered Joystick 1 - T axis, and it worked in game just fine.

I did some more tests, and apparently the left toe brake shows up as X axis, and the right toe brake as Y axis. I think what happened the first time I tried it was that I pushed a little more down than back, so the first thing RoF saw was the toe brake/X axis instead of the full pedals/T axis.

In any event, when I was really pushing the pedals instead of the toe brakes RoF only needed me to push one of the pedals (didn't matter which one), not both.

So, if you're still having problems I suggest that you just look carefuly when you try to assign the controller, and if you see either X or Y show up try it again (and maybe push the pedal more carefully from the back/bottom instead of the top) until the T shows up.

And then be sure to click "apply" and save/export your settings down to a custom-named file so they don't get overwritten by some future patch/update.

Good luck!

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#17 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 29 September 2013 - 19:17

There's probably some annoyingly simple explanation. The pedals work great in ARMA2, so logically they should work in RoF also. Too bad "logic" is incompatible with IT-stuff. Thanks for the help anyway. I'll continue narrowing it down.

Edit: And the answer is: I'm an idiot. After looking for the answer for hours I came upon this. I thought the rudder axis should work by pressing the toe brakes, but as the rudder tension was at maximum, I didn't realize rudder works by sliding the toe brakes forward. Thanks for the help, but a moron has to learn on his own. 8-)

:lol: :S!:

Glad you got it sorted

#18 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 September 2013 - 20:56

And then be sure to click "apply" and save/export your settings down to a custom-named file so they don't get overwritten by some future patch/update.

Hello Panthercules,

You just reminded me of a question I had forgotten to ask ages ago.
I have saved files as you have suggested, but I have never figured out where to put files from someone else who has sent them to me, so that they appear in the 'import' section of the page.
As Thaatu has discovered, there is usually an easy fix.
But I cannot figure out how to import outside files.

Cheers,

#19 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 29 September 2013 - 21:06

@ Spag - check out my reply from a related thread:

There are two files (one for controls, one for responses/curves) - they are stored in your Rise of Flight\data\input folder. The two I use currently, for example, are called "Logitech_1.030.actions" and "Logitech_1.030.responses" (because I've been experimenting with various FFB joysticks and have a set of controls files for each one since the button layouts are all different, and I last updated them in version 1.030 (but they still work with 1.031b)). Yours will be prefaced with whatever name you gave the files when you saved/exported them from the in-game screens.

There are three other pairs of .actions and .responses files in that folder in my install - one set called "default", one called input" and one called "standard" - I'm not really sure which of those might be the current default set, so you might want to back them all up if you're wanting to have a spare set of the original/default settings. The other thing you could do if you need to revert to the standard/default settings would probably be to just do a "recovery" from the game launcher - I think that would most likely regenerate/re-install the standard settings for you as well.

So, just put those files in that folder mentioned above and you should be good to go.

#20 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 September 2013 - 22:00

[quote="Panthercules
So, just put those files in that folder mentioned above and you should be good to go.

Hello Panthercules,
Many thanks for taking the time to reply so quickly.
Probably the most obvious place I should have looked in. 'input' duh! me.
Now all I have to do is find the files that I wanted to use from so long ago.
Cheers,

#21 majikman

majikman

Posted 19 March 2017 - 14:20

I've had the problem with my Saitek rudder pedals not being recognized intermittently.  I don't think this is related to Windows 10 or Saitek drivers.  The key is that it is intermittent and "device not recognized" by Windows.  Like many of you I have multiport USB connectors and my experience is that certain USB devices required more power than the hubs provide.  Plug the Saitek pedals in to a separate USB connector on your computer and it should now work consistently. I've also had that same issue with certain external drives and other devices. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users