Photo
- - - - -

Ipad App for Maps

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Ansirial

Ansirial

Posted 01 April 2013 - 20:19

Hi there! After the new patch I decided was the moment to improve my navigation capacities, so I find a "real" map is fundamental.

Printing them is a good idea but I thought I can avoid this, so I started to develop a simple application for iPad in order to have few basic functions not available simply placing them on the device via iBook or any other image reader:

1. Zoom-able maps;
2. Show/hide heading on the center of the maps;
3. Place markers on the maps;

Thanks especially to maps of SYN_Bandy, here few screen of this application:
Attached File  2013-04-01T22-00-19_1.jpg   423.23KB   1585 downloads
Attached File  2013-04-01T22-00-19_0.jpg   431.61KB   1584 downloads

Show/hide compass function still works as well pinch/punch zoom unzoom, next step will be the placing of the markers then I hope to publish it freely on Appstore to share this with the community.

#2 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 01 April 2013 - 21:31

Wow. Very excited about this. I've been looking for just such a thing for years now. Is it practical to allow a map to be rotateable too, or is that a bit outside the scope of the project? Looking forward to it. Good luck!

#3 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 01 April 2013 - 21:43

This sounds cool. I've been able to do bascially the same thing with just loading the map .pdf files on my iPad and using a free trial-version app called PerfectReader that allows you to scroll, pinch/zoom, rotate and annotate the map (you can draw lines/arrows, note wind speed and direction, trace out your flight plan, etc.), but it was a bit fiddly to set up. It would be great to be able to just D/L a free app that was already designed and populated with the RoF maps without having to cobble it all together manually like I did.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#4 Ansirial

Ansirial

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:53

For this first release, just because I would like to release app soon, the aim is to complete the adding of the markers maybe with texts label too.

I'm also trying to implement only two big maps: Western front and Channel, instead of many splitted maps, but I need to check if this approach is not too heavy on loading the big image.

Is also simple and a useful idea to add wind speed and direction with text input and graphical display on the map with an arrow and value, I try to add this at first step…

Next I think I would be able to include:
- Map rotation
- Manual notes
- Flight plan

Thanks of the suggestions!

#5 von_Semmel

von_Semmel
  • LocationGermany / Munich

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:58

Great thing! I am really looking forward to that app :)

#6 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 02 April 2013 - 14:57

Great project! It would be really helpful if you could place some simple markers for the flight-plan and the legs will then show the heading/distance for dead reckoning navigation.

#7 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 02 April 2013 - 15:22

Hey cool! Let me know if you need any of our official map source files.

Jason

#8 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 02 April 2013 - 18:43

Hi Ansirial, great to see you back, will there also work be Android version???
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#9 Ansirial

Ansirial

Posted 02 April 2013 - 19:29

Great project! It would be really helpful if you could place some simple markers for the flight-plan and the legs will then show the heading/distance for dead reckoning navigation.

This was the idea I had me too to place routes, but to be ready soon I don't know if I will be able to include this feature in the first release.

Hey cool! Let me know if you need any of our official map source files.Jason

Detailed maps with all villages will be very useful! I will try if system can sustain big pngs then I can be more precise about type of maps.

Hi Ansirial, great to see you back, will there also work be Android version???

Well, at the moment no :roll: Before start to develop this app with xCode (native iOS language) I thought if was better to use a cross language (like adobe air) that helped to make the app available in android too, but at the end to implement fully gestures like pinch and punch I decided to use xCode. Maybe in the future…

#10 ROSS_BerryMORE

ROSS_BerryMORE

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:06

Nice! Can I use it on iPhone?
And as a wish - Wind calculator for bombers:) will be very nice

#11 Avatar

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:59

Great stuff, Ansirial! Thanks for working on this and for sharing it with others. Can't wait to give it a try! :S!:

ASUS Maximus VII, i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 970 SSC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133, Win 7 Pro, Track IR5, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, 2 MFCDs, 32" Bravia & 2 19" Syncmaster monitors

#12 Ansirial

Ansirial

Posted 04 April 2013 - 19:44

Little update, placing of the markers is nearly completed, I remove double tap to zoom because was conflicting with the marker placing.

Attached File  2013-04-04T21-34-18_0.jpg   392.01KB   581 downloads

I also tested a single big map and works, no progressive loading, it's instantly on focus.

It's a good idea to add the wind calculator, don't know if I'm able to do it for the first release

About iPhone, yes It's possible, do you think can be useful? Just I think the view will be very small.

#13 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 04 April 2013 - 20:59

That looks very good already! Good stuff!

#14 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 05 April 2013 - 15:23

That looks fantastic.

#15 Ansirial

Ansirial

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:21

Sorry for the lack of updates but these are busy days at work…
However here a screen of the updates:
Attached File  2013-04-13T13-12-47_0.jpg   310.9KB   495 downloads

Now is possible to trace route, still working on this new feature bugs especially in zoom and unzooming, but nothing serious.

Then, to end the first release, the wind indicator.

#16 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:18

Very good!

Idea for a future release (not a must have for version 1 I guess :)): Share your flight scheme with someone else online. This will be ideal for multiplayer (campaigns).

#17 Habu

Habu

Posted 13 April 2013 - 14:28

I'm waiting your app which would replace my solution using goodreader.

#18 cgjimeneza

cgjimeneza

Posted 13 April 2013 - 14:47

keep alive the android idea, not all of us are apple people LOL

#19 Habu

Habu

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:19

Any news about the release ?

#20 Ansirial

Ansirial

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:22

I hope to fix last minor issues during this weekend:
-Divide marker function from path function;
-Change compass function to set various views (compass+degress, only degress, only compass);
-Fix zoom-unzoom issue in path function.

Then, to finish, last minor things:
-App icon;
-Screens and description for the app store.

#21 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 24 April 2013 - 17:11

This looks very exciting!

And it's very good to see you back among us, Asirial!

:S!:

HT

#22 JG1_Britchot

JG1_Britchot

Posted 24 April 2013 - 21:08

Exciting news, I'm also looking forward to this app!
Britchot_R_long.png?dl=0

#23 Ansirial

Ansirial

Posted 25 April 2013 - 17:23

Today in Italy we are on holiday, so I developed some of the last features:
Attached File  Schermata 04-2456408 alle 19.13.01.png   713.65KB   503 downloads

As planned, these are the features developed today:
-Divided marker function from path function (see buttons on the upper right side of the screen - also clean function works now separately in both modes);
-Changed compass function to set various views (in the screen you can see the degrees version of the compass, they can be changed cycling modes using button on the upper left side of the screen);
-Fixed zoom-unzoom issue in path function, it remains only a small issue to solve: a perfect vertical line is not drawable due to function I use…

I forget last important feature is missing: wind direction indicator!

Then I'm ready for the release!

#24 Habu

Habu

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:47

Thx for the news.

#25 Avatar

Posted 27 April 2013 - 14:19

Cool! Thanks for the update, Online Ansirial, looking forward to checking this one out!! :S!:

ASUS Maximus VII, i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 970 SSC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133, Win 7 Pro, Track IR5, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, 2 MFCDs, 32" Bravia & 2 19" Syncmaster monitors

#26 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 27 April 2013 - 14:32

Indeed - chomping at the bit here as well :)

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#27 Ansirial

Ansirial

Posted 27 April 2013 - 19:44

Added wind indicator:
Attached File  image.jpg   271.71KB   445 downloads
I'm setting up last things now:
Boot screen, icon, description, revising compass image, adding channel map.
As planned I hope to end all in the weekend and submit app to Apple on monday or tuesday because I'm on holyday.
Then we should count a couple of week for the approval.

#28 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 27 April 2013 - 20:18

So I'm confused. What is the purpose of the app?

Jason

#29 Ansirial

Ansirial

Posted 27 April 2013 - 20:54

Main purpose is to have a tool for navigating.
The wind indicator was suggested above in this topic and is usefull to plan safe landings avoiding lateral winds and maybe for next release to embed a tool for the bombing.

#30 Habu

Habu

Posted 04 June 2013 - 21:17

Any news Ansirial ?

#31 Ansirial

Ansirial

Posted 14 July 2013 - 17:34

Sorry guys for the lack of updates but my job, as usual stole me a lot of time…
Well I was very near to release first version on this app for iOS but I encountered a problem once I placed final maps.
I discovered device was unable to manage such big maps! So I tested a lot of solution to split maps, main objective was to maintain focus trough zoom but I was unsuccessful; if you switch between maps fast app crashes.
Last attempt was yesterday - unfortunately I can work to this project only in we - at the end I decided to develop all in Adobe Air.
This decision gives us also a free base to use this tool in android too and make me able to work to this project during the lunch time :)
In this very moment I'm starting the project in the new environment. I hope to give you updates in few days

#32 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 14 July 2013 - 19:05

Sorry to hear you ran into problem, but the silver lining of being able to use it for Android as well sounds good.

Looking forward to the end result.

#33 Ansirial

Ansirial

Posted 14 July 2013 - 19:17

Just debugging on my Samsung 7.1, zoom is nearly working, still working on pan and image quality.
This time I used final map files from the beginning.

#34 Emmer

Emmer

Posted 05 December 2013 - 14:51

Any progress on this excellent app?

Since i own an iPad mini i would love to give this a try………

#35 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:35

Yep any progress now it seems also working for android.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#36 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 22 March 2014 - 14:48

Looking forward for this app. Don't give up.
Cheers

#37 Habu

Habu

Posted 16 July 2014 - 19:54

any news ?

#38 das_bubba

das_bubba

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:55

This thread had my attention till I got to the end. Was this app dynamically connected to the game?

Jason would it be technically possible to route the actual game map to a second local screen or over the network to an ipad app? Having the map and an additional row of touch screen controls on my ipad would be pretty awesome and would not block the screen while I am flying.

So I am wondering if the in game map view is accessible and if so I would really be interested in hearing about how that could be access programably.

das_bubba

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users