* * * * - 4 votes

New Wings Servers

• Please log in to reply
1491 replies to this topic

#1401 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 03 March 2018 - 22:22

First off I have nothing to do with NFF. How they moderate their server or otherwise is entirely up to NFF admin.

When I was admin there however, I was without doubt the strictest enforcer of what I consider decency and fair play. But I wouldn't have punted anyone for contributing 'GFY' once. Continued attitude like that was addressed though.

All this 'full real' and 'arcade' terminology rubbish was argued only a week or two ago, Pikey and me being the main ones involved in that if I remember. So I was disappointed he chose to poke with that particular stick in such a blatant and derisory way. Not been in the game long, but the 'full real' superiority thing seems to have gone to his head.

Not sure why you feel the need to stick up for Mr. Pike anyway, he seems to be able to do that perfectly well on his own.

I never used the term "full real*" to describe anything. I also stated that the game allowed for multiple ways to play the game. 

I never had a debate about realism vs. Arcade. I gave advice if someone wants to play "realism" then they are better off turning off icons and other factors as soon as possible. This statement that misinterpreted as something to do with icons has a bad thing. Moreover, the issue I used the term, "pathetic." As noted in that thread that referred only to a person wishing to play without icons but never does. In every other gaming genre in which historically based games are played, there is no animosity between those that prefer arcade style of play vs realism. 

There is no excuse for showing a little courtesy and respect. 

I do not know what the term "Full Real" means. It seems like a horrible misnomer. The term used in other genre is Historical realism. It also comes with an "asterisk." Historical realism is limited by the game engine and hard codes. I should know I have been tinkering with my Battle Realism mod since 2014. I still do not have it right. 

comic3_signature2018.png

#1402 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 March 2018 - 22:25

I’m pretty sure he wasn’t pointing you out Pike but rather the use of the terms in general. “Full real” and “arcade” descriptions have been around for a very long time.

#1403 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem
  • LocationR E S I G N E D veryuseful.info/rof

Posted 03 March 2018 - 23:44

I didn't realize the term was considered a derision. I just thought it was a description of the preferred style of play. 

FYI in the UK (at least in England), calling someone a Pikey is one of the worst insults available.

In my culture, when one admits to making a correctable mistake, one corrects it.

#1404 Capt.TeddyBear

Capt.TeddyBear

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:01

Actually, from what I heard your method got some false positives, too :). Get to cocksure now and you'll make @$$ of yourself just like people who were slandering you. You have the moral high ground :icon_eek: , it would be ironic to see you lose it this quickly. 

Part of protecting integrity of the game is giving people who know the cheat reason to not spread it, even with evil-detecting script in place. Pushing them to hard for sake of pushing them will be counter-productive. 

It is NW servers thread, so of course it is open. Things are out of hand right now, but it is extraordinary situation. The emotions are high, as they should be, and it would be wrong, and impossible, to sweep it  under the rug. 

This is so many no's that I will just say "No24"

People cheating is the cancer of online gaming and if it is not cut out and put through the mincer while keeping ever vigilant for the next instance then it will spread and eventually become terminal.

But just cutting out the cancer is not enough, You need to ensure that those (the cancer) that cheat are made an example of to help dissuade others from doing the same thing. By not doing so as has been done with the almost farcical one month ban for the GT's shows that while New Wings does not condone cheating it certainly does not consider it anything other than an annoyance.

New Wings has now clearly prescribed what the punishment is for cheating i.e. 1 month with no public declaration; a cheater or potential cheater will see this as an acceptable reward/risk as one month can be done standing on your head.

If however New wings were now to say all future cheating will be punished with 100 lashes of the cat o'nine tails and a year off then that would imply that mate's are treated differently to the common player.

Cheating is the lowest of acts in online gaming and destroys the fun of all those around the player and considering how the GT's would make repeated and ongoing accusations of cheating against many while cheating themselves (yes i have no doubt they have been using this cheat for longer than when it was first made public) including me makes the need for their punishment to set an example even more compelling.

Free Krusty & Wodewick!

Verified Gaming JerkGT  

#1405 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:47

New Wings has now clearly prescribed what the punishment is for cheating i.e. 1 month with no public declaration; a cheater or potential cheater will see this as an acceptable reward/risk as one month can be done standing on your head.

If however New wings were now to say all future cheating will be punished with 100 lashes of the cat o'nine tails and a year off then that would imply that mate's are treated differently to the common player.

True.

"There will be honor enough for us all."

#1406 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:03

I’m pretty sure he wasn’t pointing you out Pike but rather the use of the terms in general. “Full real” and “arcade” descriptions have been around for a very long time.

The context of the sentence is that he is quoting or paraphrasing me. The main point is that he claims my attitude is the polar opposite of what I have said in the past.

comic3_signature2018.png

#1407 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:57

FYI in the UK (at least in England), calling someone a Pikey is one of the worst insults available.

Step away from the wooden spoon Arty...   I referred to PikeStance as simply "Pikey" - not a Pikey.

A Pikey being a slang word for someone from the travelling community in the Uk and Ireland, for anyone who doesn't know.

They're easily spotted as rag'n'bone merchants... who drive luxury sports cars.

Pikey itself would more likely be associated with the lovable and innocent Private Pike from Dad's Army.

Anyhow, veering off course so I'll bow out of this post and let NW have it back !

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#1408 J5_Matthias

J5_Matthias

Posted 04 March 2018 - 20:13

https://riseofflight...olicy-cheating/

Seems relevant to the discussion occurring here.

#1409 Capt.TeddyBear

Capt.TeddyBear

Posted 04 March 2018 - 20:56

https://riseofflight...olicy-cheating/

Seems relevant to the discussion occurring here.

What a disappointment and the opportunity to, as best as possible, to nip cheating in the butt had been lost forever.

Now the other cheaters can continue to do so as they know that it will only be a month off.

And a cheater will always cheat.

Free Krusty & Wodewick!

Verified Gaming JerkGT  

#1410 Falkenberg

Falkenberg

Posted 04 March 2018 - 21:21

First off, I apologize for possibly not completely following the discussion.  As a novice who had hoped to advance to flying multiplayer, I gather that the current situation is:

• The RoF devs are aware of "an exploit", which they will not be fixing
  • Some folks are using "an exploit that could allow an unscrupulous pilot to log into any RoF server with different settings than those intended by the operator and mission designer"
  • There is now a cloud over the community, and the only way to exclude yourself from the cloud is to log your account onto the New Wings server in March, to prove innocence
  • Don't destroy a bridge required for repair and restoring flight operations

Does this summarize what I should take action on?  Log my account onto New Wings, not destroy bridges used in flight operations, and hope that my account settings are not in conflict with server/mission settings?

#1411 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 04 March 2018 - 22:21

Don't destroy a bridge required for repair and restoring flight operations

Does this summarize what I should take action on?  Log my account onto New Wings, not destroy bridges used in flight operations, and hope that my account settings are not in conflict with server/mission settings?

Oh boy......I knew that was going to happen.

No, this situation has nothing to do with Support Bridges.  That was a completely irrelevant tangent that had to do with some argument that happened in 2014 and has no relevence whatsoever to the present cheating scandal.

@BSR, I know you are chuckling to yourself, and I am too, but lets just not go there again

#1412 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 04 March 2018 - 22:22

I wouldn't lose sleep over it Falkenberg - you fly where you want, when you want, and how you want.

Hope you get into MP, and don't let any of this circus put you off a great game and MP experiences.

S!

#1413 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 04 March 2018 - 22:26

Falkenberg:

The guys who are suspected by the community of cheating have already been challenged to log in to Wargrounds earlier in this thread to prove that they do not have a new ban for cheating, and they know who they are, and so do a lot of others.  A guy like you doesn't have to take any action at all.   Don't worry, only the people who have already been "challenged" need to worry about this.  Inactive pilots and others, are just fine, so don't worry about having to log in.  :P This really isn't a "everyone is guilty until proven innocent" type affair..not even close :P

#1414 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 04 March 2018 - 22:26

First off, I apologize for possibly not completely following the discussion.  As a novice who had hoped to advance to flying multiplayer, I gather that the current situation is:

• Some folks are using "an exploit that could allow an unscrupulous pilot to log into any RoF server with different settings than those intended by the operator and mission designer"
  • There is now a cloud over the community, and the only way to exclude yourself from the cloud is to log your account onto the New Wings server in March, to prove innocence

No.

The first two points are correct, and a number of server operators have gotten together to reach a consensus on how we as a group, supporting the community,  have chosen to deal with those sorts of serious problems going forward if / when they occur.

What you should take action on is:

*  Enjoy the game and fly on the servers that interest you

* Understand that there are tools we've put and place, and will continue to refine, that can detect the cheaters, and that those individuals will be discovered and dealt with.

Regards,

:icon_e_salute:

PS>  Welcome to the community!

#1415 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 04 March 2018 - 22:39

The people who are guilty already know who they are. And we already know who they are. We're just playing a little game with them. People who don't know what's going on have nothing to worry about.

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#1416 Falkenberg

Falkenberg

Posted 04 March 2018 - 23:39

Okay, thank you for the clarifications.   :icon_e_smile:

Do I need to figure out what the server description indicates are allowed settings, and then adjust my client settings to match what each server is expecting, or can I freely go from server to server without adjusting my client settings for each different server type, and hope that I don't trigger the unpatched exploit?

I'm not trying to troll on what is an important issue, I share the disappointment that a patch is not forthcoming for an exploit, but I can understand that development resources are focused on Flying Circus.  I was hoping to advance to multiplayer servers before Flying Circus arrives, and Rise of Flight appears to basically be the only game in town, multiplayer WWI on Windows 10, still commercially available.

If I need to adjust my client settings to conform to the what the servers require, I'm okay with that if I can please get a link to what I need to do.  I do like Hotlead's "The Ultimate Rise of Flight "Free to Play" Guide", but I did not see mention of client settings that needed to be adjusted for multiplayer servers, but I may have missed it.

#1417 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 04 March 2018 - 23:56

Do I need to figure out what the server description indicates are allowed settings, and then adjust my client settings to match what each server is expecting, or can I freely go from server to server without adjusting my client settings for each different server type, and hope that I don't trigger the unpatched exploit?

No. Just fly. You’ll be fine. But you might want to buy the WW2 version of this game, because RoF MP might be empty soon.

Battle of Stalingrad (BoS), Battle of Moscow (BoM), Battle of Kuban (BoK) and, coming soon, Battle of Operation Bodenplatte, In Enemy Sights (Boobies). If you cheat playing MP in those games, there are actual consequences.

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#1418 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 05 March 2018 - 00:04

If you cheat playing MP in those games, there are actual consequences.

So you know for fact you can cheat in BOS.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#1419 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 05 March 2018 - 00:04

Can we stop trying to talk people out of playing RoF now please BSR, there's a good boy ta.

#1420 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 05 March 2018 - 00:11

So you know for fact you can cheat in BOS.

No, I don’t. I know you could. It was the same as the RoF hack. But they made some changes that they’re not talking about to deal with cheating. I don’t know the details. I can tell you one thing, you won’t get a 1 month ban if you cheat in BoX.

Free Plank!

#1421 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 05 March 2018 - 00:14

Can we stop trying to talk people out of playing RoF now please BSR, there's a good boy ta.

No, I won’t. One month for cheating is a joke. If that stands I will be in here almost every day trying to get people to abandon RoF MP for BoX.

The “there’s a good boy” BS may get me to do it even more often. My hatred for you is increasing every time you post about this.

Free Plank!

#1422 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 05 March 2018 - 00:18

No, I won’t. One month for cheating is a joke. If that stands I will be in here almost every day trying to get people to abandon RoF MP for BoX.

The “there’s a good boy” BS may get me to do it even more often. My hatred for you is increasing every time you post about this.

BSR  If you going to post about BOX, do so in the proper forum .

#1423 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 05 March 2018 - 00:22

BSR  If you going to post about BOX, do so in the proper forum .

F@ck you. You were an apologist for the cheating scumbags for years. You can take your pretend moderating status and shove it where the sun don’t shine.

Free Plank!

#1424 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 05 March 2018 - 00:24

F@ck you. You were an apologist for the cheating scumbags for years. You can take your pretend moderating status and shove it where the sun don’t shine.

LIE

#1425 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 05 March 2018 - 00:24

Quite frankly BSR you're an obsessed, bitter individual who's spewed nothing but toxic rubbish on this Forum for far too long now.

Get over the cheating you don't even play now, get over RoF, and get over yourself.

This is just a game you idiot.

The fact that you've been allowed to continue on this Forum to now without being perma-banned is an amazement to me.

I see you waiting in the wings for the next opportunity to spout more venemous crap.

Go get a life.

#1426 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 05 March 2018 - 00:26

Go get a life.

Physician, heal thyself.

Free Plank!

#1427 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 05 March 2018 - 00:28

LIE

Lol

You can pretend otherwise, but everyone saw it. Maybe you should try to make sure your buddy Grahamsnothere isn’t suicidal.

Free Plank!

#1428 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 05 March 2018 - 00:45

LIE

Wow, is it just a figment of my over-active imagination, or are the gaslights starting to dim?

#1429 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 05 March 2018 - 00:50

BTW, Grahamsnothere is brilliant. The only thing about that last week that makes sad is that I didn’t think of it.

Free Plank!

#1430 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:33

I'm not trying to troll on what is an important issue, I share the disappointment that a patch is not forthcoming for an exploit, but I can understand that development resources are focused on Flying Circus.  I was hoping to advance to multiplayer servers before Flying Circus arrives, and Rise of Flight appears to basically be the only game in town, multiplayer WWI on Windows 10, still commercially available.

If I need to adjust my client settings to conform to the what the servers require, I'm okay with that if I can please get a link to what I need to do.  I do like Hotlead's "The Ultimate Rise of Flight "Free to Play" Guide", but I did not see mention of client settings that needed to be adjusted for multiplayer servers, but I may have missed it.

You don't have to do anything. Just make sure (on the launcher / Game Settings) that 'Modifications On' has to be left unchecked. Otherwise you are only going to see servers with modifications on (very few of them, if any).

Then just click on the server of your choice (on the multiplayer tab) and go from there. Some servers have special events that require modifications, or a password, or a pack of objects, but these you can read the announcements in the forum. The servers in general don't require anything other than you have at least one plane that is being used in the mission (anyway, the Spad and the D5 are free and present in most of the missions).

The Il-2 series is going to release the new version of ROF, called Flying Circus, with a new engine, support for VR, new graphics and part of the BOX family, which will imply a lot of WWII players coming to try the WWI crates (this exchange in between the WWII and WWI players should be exciting) so if you like WWI and you enjoy the thrill of multiplayer, ROF is the place to start getting used to it. In general the crowd is friendly and will help to show you the ropes, especially since you already fly SP and will know the basics.

The numbers are low right now, but it will pick up with the approach of Flying Circus and it only takes two to tango. I for myself never played SP again the moment I logged into a server. Nothing compares to dogfighting a real player. But prepare your heart and be welcome!

"There will be honor enough for us all."

#1431 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:36

- Realizing the severity of this issue, it was tested, and documented, and the full details of that study were forwarded to Jason and his development team for review, and hopefully a fix. Unfortunately, Jason's response was that the issue would not be addressed at all. -

Some may say that was the point at which the game and its owners lost any right to the voluntary protection afforded to it, via the communities' willingness not to publicise details of the exploit.  Obviously nothing should be done to violate the rules of this protectionist forum, however it's not inconceivable that the possibility of such information being divulged elsewhere could incentivise a change of attitude.

In my culture, when one admits to making a correctable mistake, one corrects it.

#1432 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:24

The numbers are low right now, but it will pick up with the approach of Flying Circus and it only takes two to tango. I for myself never played SP again the moment I logged into a server. Nothing compares to dogfighting a real player. But prepare your heart and be welcome!

@Falkenberg
Seawolf and others are spot on. My biggest regret in RoF is not getting into MP earlier. It's a real thrill flying with and against other people.
The BoX crowd will also bring a lot of good pilots, so the sooner you get up to speed the better!

Jump on a server and don't be afraid to ask for guidance, if you need it, in the chatbox. 99% of flyers will go to extremes to help you.

I also found that quickly getting familiar with the maps was useful. New Wings has the fast and furious server which runs their Wargrounds maps but with icons on. This helps to familiarise oneself with the layout and targets before launching into an icons-off Wargrounds experience.

BxlHM7Q.png                  HaO2aNP.png

#1433 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:11

Falkenberg,

Welcome, and I am new to the community as well. Despite appearance (maybe) 98% of the community friendly and very friendly and will address any problems you have with courtesy and respect. Unfortunately, forums always over-represent the anti-community people. I play Rise of Flight now because I know when Flying Circus comes out they will be a great deal more people. I am not too interested in WW2 except maybe a Pacific campaign. That is a long way off I am afraid. Good for me, because WWI aviation is far more interesting. 

comic3_signature2018.png

#1434 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:59

S! All

Sorry to be late to the party but I really feel everyone has missed the core of the situation.

Is this cheat available on BOX?

No. 

The bug that triggers the cheat does not work in BoX. It was verified when bug was being researched for report to 777.

The flaw that's triggered by the bug may be what BoX cheaters were triggering with their third-party programs. If so, it's been fixed as well. 

New wings knew that their failure to name the cheaters, and simply be done with it, would lead to a game of "name the cheater", in the RoF community, because naturally, people are going to want to know, and had they done so, could have avoided altogether the need for individuals to have to point the finger (without official confirmation) at other individuals.  However, they chose not to do that.

Can't blame them for washing their hands on this part, it does not have to be their responsibility :)

Do you think Ice Rage would have been able to achieve a 100+ kill streak on an icons-on server ?

Icons-of aces aren't always that good on icons-on servers. There was one time when WG died and J2 tried to invade Aces Falling in numbers, only to discover neither our skills, nor our tactics and coordination work in joystick arm wrestling match. But another time we came on icons-on server in Spads and noticed drag-and-bag works there fine.   

I suppose on icons-on server with AIs (radar noice to hide in) Ice could adapt and archieve 100+ kills. 

homer-simpson-coffee-googled-image.jpg?t

No  :icon_e_smile: . Welcome to RoF, go on flying and don't bother with any of this  :icon_e_salute: .  Six people have been banned for a month for cheating, and there are others who want who they were and others who know and really know to make it public knowledge... But it isn't about you. From your point of view, it's argument about who was wrong among old-timers. 

If someone suspects you of cheating, you can go to Wargrounds and show stats log to show you are not. But chances of this happening are zero. 

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#1435 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 05 March 2018 - 13:19

Welcome, Falkenberg! Would love to see you in the multiplayer skies! I’m glad you like my Steam guide; if you’re looking to get into multiplayer, this article might also be useful:
https://riseofflight...er-some-advice/

Also, if you ever have questions, feel free to post a thread on the forums here. We’ll try to answer as best we can.

Salute! :icon_e_salute:

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

xAKPpvf.jpg

#1436 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 05 March 2018 - 18:51

With that consideration in mind, the 4 pilots involved will be banned from Wargrounds for a period of one month beginning March 1st, 2018. Additionally, their names will be shared with the other server owners who run "full real" events

When a banned account connects to your server, all that happens is the next time the script polls the accounts connected, they get kicked and nobody knows why. My personal policy is to display the reason for the ban immediately after the kick, however if I were detecting the use of an exploit, my policy would be not to ban them at all:

Attached Files

#1437 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 05 March 2018 - 20:13

Ah yes, so that should usually go something like.. "So an So is banned, for no particular reason".

#1438 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 05 March 2018 - 20:24

Ah yes, so that should usually go something like.. "So an So is banned, for no particular reason".

No no, it should read "So an So is banned because my Mommy told me to ban him" :D

#1439 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 05 March 2018 - 21:00

Forum slander is a long way from no particular reason, with you and HillBilly once again proving that you think nothing of the practice, yet still expect to waltz into your victim's server as if nothing had happened. I'm sure other admins have felt the same as I.

#1440 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 05 March 2018 - 21:07

Forum slander is a long way from no particular reason, with you and HillBilly once again proving that you think nothing of the practice, yet still expect to waltz into your victim's server as if nothing had happened. I'm sure other admins have felt the same as I.

Poor pitiful Pearl, you're a innocent victim just like BSR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users