Photo
- - - - -

GNM Mod - Ready to Download

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:09

Like Rise of Flight, but vexed by it's poorly written English?

Tired of being exhorted to destroy "spotted" planes, when all you can see are ones with stripes?

Wondering what the heck Abraham Lincoln, Oscar Wilde and Confucius are doing in your flight sim???

Can't seem to get more "power" to your elbow?

THEN THIS MOD IS FOR YOU!!!

Introducing: GNM - The Grammar-Nazi Mod for Rise of Flight First Great Air War!

Q: Ye alrite but wots et do?

A: Why it corrects the spelling, my good man!

Q: Juts teh speling then?

A: No, not just the spelling. As well as correcting hundreds of typos in mission briefings, weather reports, awards, promotions and HUD-based text and subtitles, it also fixes grammatical errors, removes modern or incongruous phrases and substitutes period ones. It enhances close to 100 briefing templates and more than a thousand lines of text. It stops them reading like a bad foreign telegram. It adds a greater variety and immersion to your preflight planning. Instead of seeing the exact same, overly terse mission descriptions for every single Career briefing, you will be presented with a variety of new descriptions. Each designed to stay true to the job in hand, but carefully written so that no two are the same. Briefings are actually worth reading now.

Q: OK, I'm still here, so what else do we get?

A: I'm so glad you asked. The whole system of famous quotes in the Briefing tab have been given a makeover too. Instead of seeing just one of only nine individual quotes by a baffling selection of aerial nonentities such as Napoleon, Shakespeare and others; You will now see more than fifty individual quotes and phrases from a range of Great War aviators and personalities. Some well known, others less so. Indeed, you will have to work very hard to see the same quote twice. They are sometimes instructive, sometimes poignant. Others such as Albert Ball's heartfelt, "I hate this game…" can blur that line of immersion versus reality.

Q: Sounds good, so how do I install the thing?

A: All you need to do is download the mod and extract it to your main RoF directory. Its JSGME ready too, so if you're that way inclined, just extract to your JSGMEMODS folder and activate in the normal way and you're good to go. Don't forget to run the game in MODS ON mode, otherwise you won't see a blummin' thing.

Q: Can I use it in the unmodded game?

A: No, it's a frickin MOD! Why do people always ask that???

Q: Can I use this online?

A: Only in servers that have Mods enabled.

Q: OK, Very good. I see you've put a lot of time into this. So whats in it for you then?

A: Wot me??? Nuffink!

Edit: Good news! GNM mod was officially incorporated into RoF with version 1.030
Download the mod below if you wish to make your own edits. If you do summat good, don't forget to share!

http://www.mediafire...f5e4mytfvxg96wt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mediafire...f5e4mytfvxg96wt

#2 tvrtko

tvrtko

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:24

Download it, by inertia :mrgreen: I guess, but…
larger picture somehow slipped from me.
What the heck did I just download *?!?* :xx:
But - you're funny, I give you that. :)

edit:
Maybe some will not be as understandable
as I am. :D
Some (weirdos, yup! :ugeek: ) actually prefer
simplicity over humor…

#3 Prangster

Prangster

Posted 08 March 2013 - 16:22

Sounds like a terrific idea I'll download it now.

Thanks Feathered.

Prangster

SWsig.jpg

#4 =J99=Sizzlorr

=J99=Sizzlorr

Posted 08 March 2013 - 17:08

Should make it into mods off mode!

yedwwtfx.gif

#5 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 08 March 2013 - 17:42

Many thanks.. this is rather good!

#6 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 08 March 2013 - 17:50

Good work!

#7 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 08 March 2013 - 23:42

Thanks! I also changed some details of the Career bios. The Australian ones in particular had some Americanisms that I corrected too. Mostly stuff about cattle and sheep stations being described as "ranches". That sort of thing.

The congratulatory messges were changed too. The almost spastic, "Man, you stick in the saddle not bad and you've got a sharp eye!" and, "Talented generation is growing to change Tom Cassidy!" have been given more acceptable replacements.

A couple of files have errors that can not be corrected. Ones such as the Data/SWF/Data/Locale/ongetlocaledata.locale=eng.txt file get constantly updated as new updates are released, so if I change something the mod will be incompatible with the latest version. For this reason I have had to leave some things as they are. Sorry about that!

If anyone sees anything that looks a bit funny or out of place, please take a screenshot and post it here and I'll do my best to correct it.

Cheers!

#8 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:13

Sounds awesome - can't wait to give it a try.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#9 NickM

NickM

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:00

Ace! Many thanks.

#10 Raine

Raine

Posted 09 March 2013 - 14:29

Long needed and most welcome work! Thank you.

#11 lederhosen

lederhosen

Posted 09 March 2013 - 16:30

Salute

What did you major in?? and which Uni?

#12 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 10 March 2013 - 00:51

Fine Arts degree mate. One might therefore argue that I have no education whatsoever. :)

#13 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:12

Can we get a few excerpts? I am out of town for a few days and very excited about this.

#14 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:55

Here's a few examples to keep you going. Hope you like them ;)

One of my personal favourites:

:D

#15 Rivet

Rivet

Posted 11 March 2013 - 13:13

Many thanks. Nice work :S!:

#16 Thaatu

Thaatu

Posted 11 March 2013 - 17:53

Thank you! I've been really looking forward to something like this! :S!:

Edit: This should really be included into an official patch.

#17 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 11 March 2013 - 18:29

Thank you! I've been really looking forward to something like this! :S!:

Edit: This should really be included into an official patch.

I agree… its amazing how much more immersive the game experience can be with simply changing some of the text.

#18 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:03

Glad you like it. I spent quite a bit of time on some other parts that don't show up too often. Things like the Demotion messages for specific nationalities were very generic (with the exception of the US ones, with their relentless cowboy metaphors) and had some very poor English. Career players may never encounter these new messages, but one RFC example would read, "A visiting staff officer has accused you of cowardice after seeing you turn back, when your engine began to loose revs after takeoff. You are reduced to the rank of Lieutenant until this thing blows over…"
Just a single example, but stuff like that can hint at a wider world outside each mission and give a bit more depth sense of a narrative.

#19 Andy_H

Andy_H

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:41

Looks like a fair bit of work gone into this. Thanks, old chum.

#20 Laser

Laser

Posted 15 April 2013 - 15:04

This mod was integrated into latest patch, wasn't it?

#21 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 15 April 2013 - 15:08

I think so.. I still see it in all my beta career missions, and I haven't re-installed it since the patch!

#22 Laser

Laser

Posted 15 April 2013 - 15:36

Thanks; i always intended to download it at the time, but didn't get to.

@Feathered_IV - Cool! :)

#23 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 15 April 2013 - 15:40

Thanks; i always intended to download it at the time, but didn't get to.

@Feathered_IV - Cool! :)

Same here, and I'm very happy to see it included!

One request: because of all the confusion in the past, would it not be possible to say in the briefing wether the wind is blowing from, or towards the given direction? I always mix this up and now that I can't use external view any more, I can't quickly check the windsock either!

#24 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 15 April 2013 - 22:42

I think so.. I still see it in all my beta career missions, and I haven't re-installed it since the patch!

Really? I didn't know! I sent a very last minute PM to Jason about it, but didn't see anything in the patch notes. I assumed there was no time and have been running it in mods-on mode. Just made my day! Thanks guys for bumping the thread.

:S!:

#25 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:26

Thats a nice aurprise then :D

Can you confirm it? Because I never got to try the original.

#26 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:24

I'll take a look this evening. If you can post a screenshot of the text that you want to be changed regarding wind direction that'd be great. Then I can see where if occurs and in which files to look. Any suggestions for more appropriate rewording would be great too.

#27 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:49

I'll give it a go when the master server is back and working.

#28 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 16 April 2013 - 16:22

I assume it is in the new version, because the text is MUCH improved. If this is the case, I encourage you to keep working on it as it has enhanced ROF career tremendously.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users