- - - - -

Wednesday Night Whack Down

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms
  • LocationFederaL Way, WA.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:04

Tonight, 05-15-13, began rather slow….Just me and JimTM to start things out. We just sort of shot the breeze for a bit, then moved off and began to loosen up. I managed to crash on a Hammer Head right off the bat…but immediately recovered with a Bridge Loop. Jim and I then hooked up for some Follow the Leader loops that just went on and on. With each loop I got a little closer…until I finally bit his tail.

We were joined soon thereafter by the rest of tonight's team…Chief, Kotori, and FourSpeed. This gave us five, which was just right for a nice "V" formation. Our group loops didn't look so good at first…but after Jim took the lead, we were getting in fairly tight and staying pretty much together. I had to leave shortly after that…so the photos are kind of thin tonight.

I did notice tonight that the D 7F is giving all of us a little trouble to one degree or another. I suppose that this is due to the fact that we probably don't fly it that often in real life. My thought for next week is to start off with some brief formation flying…then move that formation into a combat circle and kick some collective tail. This might just give us all a chance to become "one" with our aircraft. Once we get more fluid in our combat flying of the D 7F, we might get a few steps closer to mastering the plane and be better able to feel our flight and become more instinctive in our maneuvers. Just a thought.

Thanks for those of you that flew tonight. I know that there are several others that would like to fly with us, but being more towards the west coast, don't get home from work until way after 5:00 PDT. We might think about shifting our start time an hour, from 8:00 EDT to 9:00 EDT. Just another thought.

Attached Files

-NW-ScudWillms

#42 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:35

Sorry folks…..due to another scheduling problem, I won't be getting the news and pics of last night's Whack Down posted until later on this afternoon….sometime around 2:00 PM PDT. It was a good night that produced some good photos, so I hope you'll come back.

Scud

-NW-ScudWillms

#43 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 23 May 2013 - 22:22

Last night (05-22-13) was a different sort of night. It was fun and exciting, but it mainly was a LEARNING night. Two weeks ago, we decided on the D7F as our unit plane…and for the past two Wednesday nights, I've been flying it…and been getting to know it. But the rest of the time, I'm flying my DR 1 or Camel. I got the feeling that the rest of the group was sort of in the same boat that I was….flying the D7F in our formations, but not really getting good at it. We've been having trouble just doing a group loop. Then it struck me….we were not "one with our plane". Mechanically we knew how to fly it….but we didn't have a good feel for it. What to do????

We began the evening with a short stint of basic formation flying…including a few neat loops…then spent the rest of the evening just doing combat with our planes. I felt that, only in combat, which requires quick and various movements, could we actually start to really get to know the feel of our planes and become "one" with them. By pushing the limits of our planes in combat, I think we have made great strides in gaining the oneness that we have been seeking.

It was a small turnout….three at first; Kotori, JimTM, and myself….but we were soon joined by Mortis and FourSpeed.

Hope you enjoy the photos….Many many more over at NewWings.com

Attached Files

-NW-ScudWillms

#44 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:43

Last night, 05-29-13, was just another night of practice….ending with some good ol' sword fighting.

The night began rather slowly with just Jim and I flying tight formations and doing some loops. Then we got fancy and did a few rolls and managed to stay together. We were soon joined by FourSpeed. Shortly thereafter, we were joined by Gascan and Mortis. Mortis dropped out shortly after joining us due to some communication problems that he was having….so the bulk of the night was just myself, Jim, FourSpeed, and Gascan. It made for some nice diamond formations.

All in all, I would say that we are beginning to show signs of improvement. It's not going as fast as I had hoped that it would, but what the heck….It's flying…and that in itself is fun. I suppose that one day soon we will wake up and discover that we have in fact, managed to master this thing….and then it will be video time.

As always….can't wait until next Wednesday night…….Take care, Scud.

Attached Files

-NW-ScudWillms

#45 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:49

Last night, 06-05-13, we made yet another turn, and started Wednesday Night Whack Down, heading in another direction. It's been obvious for sometime now that attendance has been declining. It was pointed out that this might be in part, due to the approach of summer, with more and more folks getting out more. This does seem to be the pattern at this time of year. We also have lost several core members to NFF. With all of this said, it appeared rather difficult to have a steady group of pilots that would be both willing and able to continue to dedicate their Wednesday nights to WNWD….at least in a way that would be required in order to put together a precision flight team. So what the heck…we decided to just get loose on Wednesday nights for a while, and do whatever we felt like on any given night. So for the short term, Wednesday Night Whack Down WILL continue, but in a very informal / laid back configuration. The time and place will be there for whom ever would like to show up…and the evening will be fluid. We will do whatever strikes our fancy. Some evenings may be full of aerial sword fighting….others just goofing around trying out stunts and friendly competitions, and other nights we might just sit around on TS3 sharing info and BSing. For a while…it will be more like a pilot's lounge, with a meeting time of Wednesday nights…8:00 EDT. All are invited…especially new comers to ROF that might wish to meet new friends, obtain valuable knowledge, or just get a few pointers on how certain planes may behave and how to keep them in the air.

Our pilots last night were myself, FourSpeed, Mortis, and a new guy, Add Man. Add Man had just recently acquired ROF and was in the process of expanding the inventory of hs hanger. He arrived proud as a button announcing that he had just purchased a Gotha. Fourspeed, Mortis and myself were in a battle circle doing our thing…but what the heck. We landed and swapped out our fighters….FourSpeed and I each grabbed a Gotha and fell into formation behind Add Man….Mortis went for his Brandenburg.

Now keep in mind that I have never really been able to fly the Gotha…but with just a few pointers from FourSpeed, I was flying it like a veteran. Add Man seemed to be a natural…….he just took off with it and never looked back. As I watched, he even made a few bombing runs and was blowing everything up.

The night was a short one…we just flew around for a bit with our Gothas until the time on the map ran out….then went our separate ways. Can't wait to see what next week will have in store for us. C U THEN!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files

-NW-ScudWillms

#46 M.H

M.H

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:49

What time GMT do you do this . I would like to come too. :)

#47 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:02

To tired to do the math….but it's 8:00 EDT…Wednesday nights on the New Wings Basic Training server

-NW-ScudWillms

#48 M.H

M.H

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:11

I'll try , but it is unlikely ….. :(

#49 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:11

Last night (06-12-13) was a rather laid back night wherein we welcomed a New-B, Greywing, to the ROF family. As there was nothing special planned for the evening, Chief, Kotori, FourSpeed, and myself, all took the opportunity to flood poor ol' Greywing with tons of advice on how to fly ROF. With what little time he has had with the sim, he's doing very well….but was gracious enough to patiently listen as we heaped on the advice. I'm sure he suffered an info overload. Take heart Greywing….even with all of that help….it still takes awhile to master this sim….if in fact, one ever does.

We began the evening on the German map….all of us flying Alb DVa's….and laying on the advice to Greywing. Then it was off to the north and some serious fighting in the combat circles. Some of us took this opportunity to switch over to our favorite plane.

The German map soon rotated over to the Allies. Chief and myself said, what the heck, and each drew a Felxstowe. We did a little close quarters flying (which at one point turned into a disaster) and even did some serious fighting in the combat circles. A good time was had by all

Once again, I invite one and all to join us every Wednesday night on our Basic Training server at 8:00 EDT….For WEDNESDAY NIGHT WHACK DOWN. A great chance to just get together and have some fun…and if you're new to the sim….a great chance for us old farts to fill your head with all kinds of opinionated mish mash. In any event,,,it's fun. C ya. Scud.

Attached Files

-NW-ScudWillms

#50 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:55

Sorry folks….there is a slight delay in posting the story and photos from last night's Whack Down. It was a really great night that produced just a ton of photos…so it's taking a little longer than usual to edit and process everything. I should have everything done and posted by about 12:00 noon, PDT, today, 06-20-13.

Please come back then….thanks,
Scud

-NW-ScudWillms

#51 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 20 June 2013 - 20:19

Well, as usual, last night was a really fun night…pure sword fighting the entire time. Because these are just air combat photos, no explanation is really needed. I think that I was able to get all of you that participated into at least a couple of shots each…. I'll just put the names of those in the photo there, as the name tags came out small and are hard to read.

We had a good turn out last night….the participating pilots were Chief, FourSpeed, Greywing, MR.COOL, Limey, Woodhouse, Freya Temp, Zarro Boogs, CPT.N.Leigh, and myself. Woodhouse didn't start out as a participant….we just sort of sucked him into it. He did great though and held his own.

Now for an announcement….Wednesday Night Whack Down, as an official New Wings sponsored activity, is coming to an end. You can see by the length of this thread that we've enjoyed a good and pretty long run. This event was initiated by -NFF-Agent86 about a year ago, and has seen some really good times and virtually no bad times. We've all had a lot of fun, and decided that the Whack Down should go out on a high note BEFORE it begins to lose it's following and/or gets old. I hope those of you that have made the Whack Down a part of your weekly routine will continue to show up on Wednesday nights…I know that I shall continue to be there. It can remain a time slot in our week that we can look forward to….a time to just get together, fly, goof around, play some slap ass, talk, and just be together. This thread shall remain active as a means of communication about the goings on of Wednesday night, as well as a bit of a legacy to our good friend Agent86.

All that I can say at this point is that something new and exciting is in the works to replace the Whack Down. The Whack Down provided us with a fantastic foundation with which we hope to produce something that is hard to find anywhere else on any of the Rise of Flight servers. Our goal has always been to enhance the skills, abilities, and fun of all within the ROF community. We hope that our efforts will add to the enjoyment of all, no matter which server they call home. Stand by for further announcements on this developing concept.

Take care….see ya all soon,
Scud

PS….There are about 40 additional photos posted over on NewWingsTraining.com under Training…Wednesday Night Whack Down.

Attached Files

-NW-ScudWillms

#52 Philemmett

Philemmett

Posted 20 June 2013 - 23:32

Scud,
I'm truly sorry to see the demise of the 'Wed Night Whack Down'. In it's short, but glorious, life it attracted some wonderful people and great times were had by all. I'll never forget the two nights of racing through the obstacle coarse under a stop watch. There were SIXTEEN pilots, a ton of laughs, and some fabulous crashes. "New Fliers and Friends" or "=NFF=" will most likely restart WNWD in the Fall since it's originator, =NFF=Agent86 is now flying under the =NFF= banner. We hope you and the other pilots will come join the fun. We'll make sure there's an announcement of time and date so that you can plan you Wednesdays.
If you have any suggestions for exercises or content please give anyone in =NFF= your ideas. We always like to enhance our programs for better training and more fun for all levels. Thank you.
=NFF=Patriarch, (Phil)

#53 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:51

With the retirement of Wednesday Night Whackdown we will be introducing NEW WINGS AIR TACTICAL TRAINING.

Here we will learn the importance of formation flying, Wingman Awareness, and Air Tactical maneuvers. Coordinating your combat movement and attacks to better insures success in air encounters.

Much of what we have been doing, namely having fun and comradery will remain. But we will be putting more emphases on combat tactics and maneuvers. We will draw upon numerous documented resources, videos and others personal training/experience's to guide us on this venture.

We hope all of you who have participated with our WNW will continue to fill our ranks and augment ours and others learning experiences.

This is a rather large jump for us in light of New Wings being manned by Volunteers that give of their own free time to make such things as this happen. So we ask all to bear with us. graduated from Air Tactical College.

But I assure you that this will be a challenging, and rewarding experience for all.

NEW WINGS AIR TACTICAL TRAINING

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

G5fCmYF.png

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#54 JB_Books

JB_Books

Posted 21 June 2013 - 13:31

Here we will learn the importance of formation flying, Wingman Awareness, and Air Tactical maneuvers. Coordinating your combat movement and attacks to better insures success in air encounters.
That's great ChiefRedCloud, who will be teaching this?

#55 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud

Posted 21 June 2013 - 13:53

That's great ChiefRedCloud, who will be teaching this?

At the moment New Wings volunteers, Myself and ScudWilliams. We will have help from DennydD (as his time allows) and I believe QuQi (also as his time allows). But we're open to any RoF experienced pilots that would like to invest their time in this community project sponsored by New Wings.

Anyone interested in either instructing can PM me here or over at New Wings forums (see link below). For participants, all you will need to do is show up at the appointed time and date.

Now, as to the latter, we are still working on a time and date and our first session, so I ask you to bare with us.

G5fCmYF.png

#56 J5_Mueller

J5_Mueller

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:29

Salute New Wings and =Nff= and =TM= squads sorry to hear the Whackdown is ending, I read on the forums that GIAP is trying to start a regular introduction night on Wed. for new players,maybe they could coordinate something with you.Also may I offer as a replacement The Saturday Smackdown on the Wargrounds! Posted under events in this forum are details of what I hope to become some epic furballs over the front.Participation from all is welcome but especially squads that can offer some solo pilots a chance to fly in formations, ask questions,enjoy the feeling of community that is ROF, encouraging them to stay,and perhaps with the release on STEAM this week some new players will enjoy an exciting environment with full skies,and get hooked on it,like I did.Always will have good memories of the Basic Training server, with Oneyedog and Hillbilly. Seems like so long ago even though it was only February this year.Well heres to making new memories, hope to see your groups represented at this weeks Smackdown :S!:

#57 JimTM

JimTM
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 June 2013 - 13:26

Salute New Wings and =Nff= and =TM= squads sorry to hear the Whackdown is ending, I read on the forums that GIAP is trying to start a regular introduction night on Wed. for new players,maybe they could coordinate something with you.Also may I offer as a replacement The Saturday Smackdown on the Wargrounds! Posted under events in this forum are details of what I hope to become some epic furballs over the front.Participation from all is welcome but especially squads that can offer some solo pilots a chance to fly in formations, ask questions,enjoy the feeling of community that is ROF, encouraging them to stay,and perhaps with the release on STEAM this week some new players will enjoy an exciting environment with full skies,and get hooked on it,like I did.Always will have good memories of the Basic Training server, with Oneyedog and Hillbilly. Seems like so long ago even though it was only February this year.Well heres to making new memories, hope to see your groups represented at this weeks Smackdown :S!:

J5_Mueller,

The gang here at NFF misses the Whackdown a lot too. The sense of comradrie, fun, and learning was a real draw to the many folks that dropped in every week. It gave us a sense of community to help the new pilots that took part in the event and we learned a lot ourselves from the exercises.

In between busy real lives, we are trying to nurture the NFF basic training community and look for new ways to help fledgling aviators survive and enjoy ROF. We are certainly open to working with other community members to kick-start the drive toward increased MP participation. The Wednesday night event that you mentioned looks promising and we'll surely consider contributing with server resources and training personnel.

Your Saturday Smackdown event also looks great. Good luck with it! I'll PM you to discuss it.

Salut!

Intel i7-3770K 3.50GHz water cooled, ASUS GTX 1080 8GB VRAM, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 7 on SSD, 3x24" monitors (5923x1080 bezel corrected), CH Fighterstick and Quadrant, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals, TrackIR 5

#58 Philemmett

Philemmett

Posted 22 June 2013 - 20:59

J5 Mueller,
The WNWD was truly a great evening for everyone. Unfortunately the operative word here is "was." For some important reasons the originator, Agent86, made a change to "New Fliers & Friends."
=NFF=Agent86 is there, alive and well, thinking up and creating some exciting new missions along with =NFF=Terz.
It's a good bet that you, and all the other pilots who enjoyed it, will have some great new offerings in the near future on the =NFF= servers. As you know, it takes time and a lot of effort to put something of quality together so that all skill levels will have a chance for training, improvement and fun.
NFF will make sure that announcements are made in our Forum as well as RoF's when the time is right. In the mean time, please come to the NFF servers for some great maps. We welcome all fliers except the vulchers,shoulder-shooters, and stat hogs. We're on TeamSpeak at 24.128.226.141. Come say hello! Sincerely, =NFF=Patriarch (Phil)

#59 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud

Posted 22 June 2013 - 22:58

We will most likely still meet on Wednesday for impromptu flying till our training schedule is firmed up. Anyone interested may show up and fly with us. As you can see from Scuds photos, we all had a pretty good time. Cheers …..

G5fCmYF.png

#60 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:41

I want to add that ALL groups such as GIAP 69, Jagdstaffel 5, NFF and so many of the groups and individual Pilots of The Rise of Flight Community are to be thanked in joining New Wings in helping Newcomer pilots and helping promote Rise of Flight itself as one of the BEST (if not the best) Flight Sims in the Flight Sim Community as a whole.

I SALUTE you ALL and raise my glass to you …. Cheers!

G5fCmYF.png

#61 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud

Posted 27 June 2013 - 16:18

I'd like to present the man behind the camera for ALL these fantastic photos and one of our TOP New Wings Volunteers ….. Scud Williams

G5fCmYF.png

#62 JimTM

JimTM
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 June 2013 - 16:56

I'd like to present the man behind the camera for ALL these fantastic photos and one of our TOP New Wings Volunteers ….. Scud Williams]

Lol! Nice one Chief. Baron Von Scudenheimer!

Salut!

Intel i7-3770K 3.50GHz water cooled, ASUS GTX 1080 8GB VRAM, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 7 on SSD, 3x24" monitors (5923x1080 bezel corrected), CH Fighterstick and Quadrant, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals, TrackIR 5

#63 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud

Posted 27 June 2013 - 17:17

More like Scud von Williams ….. thanks Jim

G5fCmYF.png

#64 JB_Books

JB_Books

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:32

More like Scud von Williams ….. thanks Jim