- - - - -

Wednesday Night Whack Down

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms
  • LocationFederaL Way, WA.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 00:10

Last Wednesday night, Feb 20th, was our last night flying the DR1. The night was dedicated to an inverted flight free for all. Lots of fun with some really good and imaginative flying. One pair managed a duel flight under the short tripple bridge that's on our course. Oneeyeddog and myself found ourselves doing a little scene from Top Guns (that's him on top)

Next week we will move from DR1's to the Camel. HillBilly, Terz, and myself demonstrate just how easy it is to fly a tight formation with the Camel.

View my previous video, Invitation to Fly, to see what sort of flying you can do after a few short weeks of training with us. We invite one and all to join us every Wednesday night at 5:00 EST on the New Wings Battlegrounds server, for formation and precision flight training.

Attached Files

-NW-ScudWillms

#2 =III=Flav

=III=Flav

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:51

Hmmmmm…this is giving me ideas…ideas that my fellow squadmate should look upon with trepidation.
;)

#3 Agent86

Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 27 February 2013 - 16:08

Last Wednesday night, Feb 20th, was our last night flying the DR1. The night was dedicated to an inverted flight free for all. Lots of fun with some really good and imaginative flying. One pair managed a duel flight under the short tripple bridge that's on our course. Oneeyeddog and myself found ourselves doing a little scene from Top Guns (that's him on top)

Next week we will move from DR1's to the Camel. HillBilly, Terz, and myself demonstrate just how easy it is to fly a tight formation with the Camel.

View my previous video, Invitation to Fly, to see what sort of flying you can do after a few short weeks of training with us. We invite one and all to join us every Wednesday night at 5:00 EST on the New Wings Battlegrounds server, for formation and precision flight training.
:) ;) :D :lol: :x :xx: :S!:

Sorry About That                                                           

#4 oneeyeddog

oneeyeddog

Posted 27 February 2013 - 16:22

Scud,perhaps I'm mistaken but isn't it 8:00 EST on Wednesday.

#5 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 27 February 2013 - 20:44

You're right….8:00 pm EST….5:00PST

-NW-ScudWillms

#6 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:54

Hmmmmm…this is giving me ideas…ideas that my fellow squadmate should look upon with trepidation.
;)

:? :?

Oooo.. Dear….

#7 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:40

Our first Camel night last night. First half was spent learning some new tricks on how to recover from those dreaded Camel Spins. Very useful information was shared.

The last half of the night was spent on our formation flying. This was our first attempt, and it produced some pretty good results. A couple of months ago, when we first got organized, we chose the DR1. We could barely stay together in a group, let alone a formation. Last night, the improvement in all of our piloting skills was evident, as the photos below will show. We're not perfect…last night was more of a Camel familiarization session….but I suspect that in a few short weeks, we'll be tighter, and into group formation stunts. CAN'T WAIT…Scud

Attached Files

-NW-ScudWillms

#8 oneeyeddog

oneeyeddog

Posted 01 March 2013 - 15:57

I find the Camel more stable in level flight than the DR1 and therefore a bit easier to fly in formation.I'm confident we'll be able to fly tighter formations with a little more practice. Pilots of all skill levels are invited to join in on Wednesdays. It's a lot of fun!

#9 Agent86

Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 01 March 2013 - 17:54

I just love my Camel
Attached File  IMG_0259.JPG   837.73KB   1185 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0260.JPG   773.96KB   1184 downloads
Here's the guys "warming up" for Wed Night
Attached File  IMG_0207.JPG   1003.08KB   1185 downloads

:x :S!:

Sorry About That                                                           

#10 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:11

Well last night (03-06-13) was our second get together flying the Camel. We divided up into new teams of three, and began the night by going off on our own as indiviual teams. We flew for about 30 minutes and got into a comfort zone with one another, doing basic formations and such.

Next we gathered together for a group fly. We all went up with JimTM in the lead and did a basic "V" formation, getting tighter as we went along. We ended this with a successful group landing.

Lastly, with the boss, Agen86 in the lead, we went single file and snaked our way though the obstacle course.

A good time was had by all…and our improvement could be seen with each tick of the clock.

Come join us every Wednesday night at 8:00 EST on the New Wings Battlegrounds server. For sure, it will improve your flying. If you're new to the game, don't worry. That's why we're called "New Wings".

Scud

Attached Files

-NW-ScudWillms

#11 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 14 March 2013 - 21:22

Great night last night….one of our best. We welcomed a couple of new pilots to our group, then began our session with some squad formation touch and go landing drills, and finished with some wild follow the leader.

Doing touch and goes in a tight group seemed to improve not only our trust in the other pilots within our group, but also our comfort zone within which we fly with them.

Things got a little crazy during the second portion of the session, flying single file doing follow the leader. In no time at all, we were following eachother around, under, and through most every obstacle on the map. It got to be pretty challenging. I do believe that during the 30 minutes or so that we flew this drill, we all died at least once or twice. By the time it was done though, instead of just being pilots, most of us felt like free spirited birds, in total command of our planes, doing and going with them as we pleased. I myself felt like I was one with my Camel.

The photos posted below are just a small sample of what is posted over on our New Wings web site. Please….feel free to join us every Wednesday evening, 8:00 EDST, for some of the best time you will ever spend improving your flying skills, and just plain having fun. ALL ARE WELCOME!!!

-NW-ScudWillms

#12 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 21 March 2013 - 14:41

We want to welcome the pilots that were new to our group last night…we had a good turnout.

Last nights session was the sort that gave us all something useful….something that we will be able to apply to our flying no matter what sim we are in. Last night we explored the world of "Slip Flying". The session was led by JimTM, who not only gave us a great demonstration of the techniques employed, but managed to make his way around to the squads during the practice and give some one on one help.

The first technique demonstrated was the forward slip. This is a really easy way to scrub off excess altitude and/or speed, when you are coming into a shortened field, you don't have the time or the ability to go around, and you have to put your plane down NOW.

We went onto learn the slip turn technique and crabbing…great for those head on approaches where a collision is the usual end result. We also got to practice some cross wind landings as Agent86 cranked up the wind on our map.

Our session concluded with Jim leading us on a low and slow follow the leader. We slipped and crabbed our way all over the map at very low altitudes. Overall, a very good night…thanks Jim.

Attached Files

-NW-ScudWillms

#13 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:04

Todays update was not accepted well by our server…not the update's fault…just a lot of adjustments with the server settings were needed. In any case, the evenings activities were postponed untill next week. Hope to see you all then….Scud

-NW-ScudWillms

#14 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:58

Last night was a continuation of our "Crosswinds" session from two weeks ago. After the ROF update last week, our server needed some adjustments, so last week was a wash. Besides, we wanted a little more excitement, so for last nights session, Agent86 upped the map's wind speed to 20 + MPH.

The first half of the night was spent practicing our take offs, approaches, and landings in high crosswinds, using the two techniques that were demonstrated by JimTM…crabbing and side slipping. It's hard to capture in photos just how much deviation there was in our direction of travel, but in the crabbing technique, there was as much as 45 degrees. Side slipping gave one a straight in approach, but you had to LEAN into the wind and touch down on only one wheel.

The last half of the night was dedicated to dive bombing. That was a lot of fun in the high winds. It was amazing at just how much our planes and bombs were pushed around.

On a final note, we were joined by several visitors…a couple of "new" pilots…and a couple of not so new. All are welcome…and we hope to see them again next week.

Attached Files

-NW-ScudWillms

#15 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:18

This was a stand alone video that I made a couple of months ago to promote our Wednesday Night Whack Down events. I thought that I would move it over here before it dropped off the edge of the world, never to be seen again. This was made during our DR1 days.

-NW-ScudWillms

#16 Agent86

Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:23

:shock:

Sorry About That                                                           

#17 oneeyeddog

oneeyeddog

Posted 09 April 2013 - 23:37

If I'm not mistaken this whole DR1 routine was flown in one take, not edited from several flights. The Barrel Roll under the bridge is extremely vexxing. Very well done Scud.

#18 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 09 April 2013 - 23:50

That's correct Dog…It was a "one take from start to finish" deal. All that I did during the play back, was to change from one camera view to another. Believe me, it took more than a couple of tries to get one complete sequence without any screw ups in it.

-NW-ScudWillms

#19 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:04

Well tonight, 04-10-13, was sort of a rather laid back night. Our sessions with the Camel are slowly coming to an end….I wonder what plane we will take on next?

The first part of the evening was spent on getting our combat circles tighter. Those of you that fly Camels know what a slippery bird it can be if you squeeze them to hard…over you go and into a spin.

The second part of the night was spent flying the combat "Finger 4" formation. There have been several members of our group express an interest in forming up a squadron and putting to good use many of the techniques that we have learned over the past several months. This was a good first step to that end.

Attached Files

-NW-ScudWillms

#20 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 18 April 2013 - 18:14

Well last night's session (04-17-13) had no lesson plan…so what to do? We all went onto our Basic Training Server / Central, and just began goofing around. We soon decided, however, to organize and do some combat flying. The map that was up on our training server has a series of combat circles. The two northern most have 8 to 10 AI's in each one. What the heck….it's Bloody April…let's all go up and get em. 10 or 11 of us formed up and headed north. Once we got to the first circle, a massive aerial fight ensued that went on for all most an hour. It was pretty intense. From a distance, the sky looked like it was full of gnats just buzzing around.

The following photos represent just a small portion of what I have posted over on our New Wings web site in the Wednesday Night Whack Down thread. We have a new computer for our training server (Thanks Patriarch)that can handle a hefty number of pilots….so come and join us every Wednesday night 2000 hrs (8:00 PM) EST. You'll find us either on the Battlegrounds or Basic Training Servers….just look for the crowd and join right in. We had several first timers last night…and a great time was had by all.

Attached Files

-NW-ScudWillms

#21 M.H

M.H

Posted 18 April 2013 - 18:21

How can you fly inverted under a bridge ? Does you kite have a fuel pump ?

#22 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 18 April 2013 - 18:26

No…The DR 1, like many of the other planes, has no trouble flying inverted for four or five seconds. After that, the carb dries up (runs out of fuel) and then you have a problem. As long as you go right side up before your engine completely stops, you'll be OK.

Scud

-NW-ScudWillms

#23 M.H

M.H

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:15

No…The DR 1, like many of the other planes, has no trouble flying inverted for four or five seconds. After that, the carb dries up (runs out of fuel) and then you have a problem. As long as you go right side up before your engine completely stops, you'll be OK.

Scud
Thank you Sir :S!:
For a second there I thought it was magic !

#24 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 19 April 2013 - 16:36

Hey M.H.

I'm assuming that your questions came to you after watching my Whack Down Warm Up video (found on page 2 of this thread). That video just goes to show you what one can do after some regular attendance of our Whack Down sessions. Try to plan on attending these…they're a great source for flight improvement.

Scud

-NW-ScudWillms

#25 Agent86

Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 19 April 2013 - 18:16

:lol: :S!:

Sorry About That                                                           

#26 Agent86

Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 19 April 2013 - 18:29

;) :x :lol: :S!:

Sorry About That                                                           

#27 oneeyeddog

oneeyeddog

Posted 19 April 2013 - 18:32

Well Done Agent!

#28 Agent86

Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 19 April 2013 - 18:51

The W.N.W.D. made it all possible, Dog……Thanks :D :S!:

Sorry About That                                                           

#29 Agent86

Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 20 April 2013 - 00:09

Scud, Just thought I would give some insight as to How W.N.W.D. was created. This video was the beginning.
If anyone is a Pink Floyd fan as well as a Rise of Flight fan, they will enjoy it. Its a bit long but I still go back and watch it once in a while. Its just fun. W.N.W.D. was started with two pilots playing around while chit chating……….Patriarch and 86. Thanks for your coverage of Wed Nights :S!:

Sorry About That                                                           

#30 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 25 April 2013 - 17:48

Sorry folks…due to time restraints and conflicts with my schedule, the posting of photos from last night's Whack Down (o4-24-13) have been delayed. Please be patient as the coming photos are well worth waiting for, and should be up by tonight (04-25-13) or first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks,
Scud

-NW-ScudWillms

#31 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:29

Well Hi all and thanks for your patience. Our last Whack Down session (04-24-14) will hence be known as our TRANSITION night. We have had several old (founding) members that have moved on, and so the evening began in a state of minor confusion. However, things soon began to come together, and before long, we were all up and flying. We had quite a turnout of new folks, and some that were returning after being away for awhile…so….the first part of the evening was dedicated to some review work…"High Cross Winds" to be exact. We got the high wind map up and began practicing and showing those that were not here when we originally did this technique, how it was done. It's fun playing in the high wind, and after the training session had pretty well run it's course, we just sort of did our own thing in it. I saw one pilot tackle the triple bridge successfully…it took a lot of crabbing. That bridge is a challenge for many when the wind is calm…it's murder with the high cross wind.

Once we tired of the wind, we got the original Whack Down map up and just went to town on the AI's. There are usually 12 AI's in either the north or south combat circle….and there were 11 of us, so it was pretty well matched. We all got our fill of some really good fighting. In the photos, I managed to capture some really interesting stop action tracer shots. As always, what is posted here is but half of what I post over on the New Wings site. Please, feel free to pop over there and take in the entire Wednesday Night Whack Down thread.

As I said in the beginning of this post, this last session was a TRANSITION session. By that I mean, many of us feel that our current series of lessons has pretty well run it's course. With that in mind, there were many among us that voiced a desire to return to the original concept of PRECISION flying. Besides just flying in formation, many in attendance expressed their desire to delve into group stunt and precision flying….sort of like 1917 Blue Angles or the like. So…as of this writing, our next objective with the group will be just that…PRECISION FLYING. Tell all of your friends and come join us next week for this new adventure…and if you have them…bring along your thoughts and ideas. The goal as of now is to put together and perfect a routine of 5 to 10 minutes or so……then make a video. This should be both fun and interesting. Of course, we'll break things up with some good old fashion aerial combat from time to time…….so we'll see you next week…New Wings Basic Training Server…8:00 PM EDT….that's 5:00 Pacific.

PAGE 1 of 2

Attached Files

-NW-ScudWillms

#32 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:52

PAGE 2 of 2

Attached Files

-NW-ScudWillms

#33 M.H

M.H

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:13

Wow , looks fun . I hope to join you soon .

#34 LordNeuro_Srb

LordNeuro_Srb
  • LocationNovi Sad/Serbia

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:17

Gr8 shots :lol: and looks like a gr8 fun. I would love to joing but it is mz futball night. I hope u will have thise caind of fun on same other days too.
:S!:

#35 Agent86

Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 26 April 2013 - 18:10

Howdy Scud, Nice to see you getting back to the original idea of Stunt flying for WNWD. Good luck with the stunt/precision sessions ! :S!:

Sorry About That                                                           

#36 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 27 April 2013 - 00:36

Great pictures guys. Thanks for posting Scud ….

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#37 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:38

Well gang…over the weekend I began testing out all the planes available to us for use as our standard precision and stunt flying plane. I've completed testing all of the possible Entente machines…and from them….the only one that I felt might work for us was the SE 5. The Camel has the power, but hates to do rolls or even be on her back. The Dolphin was my next choice. It has great visibility, is fairly stable and will do pretty much anything you ask of it….but it is just two underpowered. If you dive to pick up some speed to do…say…a bridge loop… when you do pull back on the stick…it does some weird stuff. My third choice was the Tri-Plane. It flew decently enough….and I was able to do a bridge loop or two with it….but most of the time it was just to prone to spin outs when you jerk the stick around as we will be doing.

Now some of the results that I have mentioned here might be due to the settings of my curves….I just don't know. I played with each plane long enough and played with their curve settings…and in the end…think the SE 5 is our best Entente candidate.

I next shall test the German line. I have already played with the Albs, but not enough to make a decision. At this time, if I had to make a decision…I think that I would go with the DR 1. As a matter of fact…at this time…I think that the DR 1 is at least superior to any of the Entente planes for our aerobatic needs.

I would like everyone that is planning to attend this week's Wednesday Night Whack Down, 05-01-13, 8:00 PM EDT, to come with some ideas of their own as far as which plane we should fly and what stunts we might attempt to perfect. We'll spend a good part of the night talking and kicking around ideas, so if you're not already set up on TeamSpeak, you've got 3 more days. If you need help, grab one of us and we'll get you going.

Later (if not sooner)
Scud

-NW-ScudWillms

#38 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 13:19

I agree Scud in that the Dr1 (if handled correctly) is a good choice. I like the SE5 but haven't put in that much time in it. I'll try it and see. I'll be there Wednesday.

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#39 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:57

Tonight's Whack Down (05-01-13) was the first of our precision flying sessions. Because this is going to be a team effort, we all participated in test flying several planes to narrow down the candidates for our official squad plane. I had already begun the process by doing an initial shake down of all planes available to us over the weekend. I came to the session suggesting the SE 5, Sop Tri-Plane, DR 1, Fakker D7 F, and Phalz D 12. These plus other planes were tested by all. As of this writing, the field appears to have been thinned down to either the DR 1 or Fakker D7 F. The final decision will be made at next weeks session.

As you will see in the photos below…we left no stone unturned. We even (just for fun) checked out some of the big boys. While tonight's session was serious, we still had plenty of fun. There's always room for more…hope to see you there next week.

Attached Files

-NW-ScudWillms

#40 -NW-ScudWillms

-NW-ScudWillms

Posted 09 May 2013 - 16:03

Last night (05-08-13) it was decided that the Fakker D 7F was to be our official squad plane. We spent a good portion of the evening just flying around becoming familiar with it. Thanks to NFF JimTM, who makes for a good flight leader, we did some "Follow the Leader" things that included turns, loops and rolls….just real basic stuff. It became obvious that some more SERIOUS FAMILIARIZATION flying would be needed before we buckle down and begin the building of a "show"….an impressive routine that will be worthy of taping and putting on display for all to see.

The evening started out slow with only four of us on the flight line at the appointed time. We waited until 15 minutes after the hour, then took to the air. After another 10 to 15 minutes of flying, we were attacked by a squad of three AI Camels that had left their combat circle and flew after us. The problem was, due to weight concerns, we had taken off with only 25% fuel and NO AMMO. As luck would have it, that was about the time that Chief and several others arrived on the scene. They HAD ammo, and came to our rescue…making short order of the intruders.

With nine of us now, we moved to the training field to avoid further confrontations, and continued our familiarization flying. After 30 to 40 minutes of trying to get control of our new planes, going every which way and banging into each other, we decided that it was time for a little fun. We switched planes….and continued our flying in the "Little Weed Eater"…..the E 3. To be honest, non of us had ever considered the E 3 seriously…..but it proved to be rather competent as a stunt plane.

Next week we shall attempt to more or less master our D 7F's and begin to develop our skills with it……See you then.

Attached Files

-NW-ScudWillms

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users