62 replies to this topic

#41 Lord_Pyro

Lord_Pyro

Posted 05 October 2009 - 17:11

great tool :)

#42 =MR.FOX=

=MR.FOX=

Posted 05 October 2009 - 19:13

is there a way to change the name of the missions. I know that it makes you save the mission and you can name it what ever. but when I load it up in game it has a default name? so I have 5 mission, and I have to guess at which one each one is every time I want to start one.

#43 MattM

MattM

Posted 05 October 2009 - 19:25

The name of the mission is saved in the *.eng (for english, *,rus for russian etc.). You have to manually change the name there, the generator doesn't support this.

#44 =MR.FOX=

=MR.FOX=

Posted 05 October 2009 - 19:36

The name of the mission is saved in the *.eng (for english, *,rus for russian etc.). You have to manually change the name there, the generator doesn't support this.

I'm pretty sure I looked there. I'll look harder though. thanks.

#45 musicman

musicman

Posted 05 October 2009 - 19:45

If you open it up in ROF editor you can change the name there.
I have 5 missions saved for 5 different planes with all there own names.
Hope this helps. I can explain in more detail if need be.

#46 Dumbo

Dumbo

Posted 11 October 2009 - 20:45

OK…I've downloaded the ZIP file. Now what do I do? Where do I extract all of the files to?
Dumbo
  :icon_e_smile:

Intel Core i7-6700 processor 3.4 Ghz
Asus Strix GeForce GTX960 4GB graphics card
Kingston 240GB SSD hard drive
Gigabyte Z170X GAMING 3 mobo
Cougar RS 650 watt power supply
Kingston 8GB PC4-2133 desktop RAM
Windows 10 Premium 64 OEI
24" Dell LCD monitor
CH Fighterstick/ProPedals
TrackIR 5-Pro

#47 Laser

Laser

Posted 11 October 2009 - 20:58

OK…I've downloaded the ZIP file. Now what do I do? Where do I extract all of the files to?

Well, in any place you want - some make folders right on desktop, i like to have a 'Game Utilities' folder, something like: "D:\Kits\Games\Utils\…"

On Vista etc. you'll have to run the exe with full rights (as admin) - anyway at least the same rights the RoF game had when installed.

BTW, did you write this? :)

http://www.wings-of-...MP Tutorial.pdf">http://www.wings-of-...r.net/files/doc … torial.pdf

(Very helpful at its time)

S!

#48 Dumbo

Dumbo

Posted 11 October 2009 - 23:21

Hmmmm…still confused. Don't I have to extract these files into my RoF folder someplace? How does it interact with the game itself?

P.S. Yes, that's my old RB3D tutorial for on-line play. Glad you found it helpful!
Dumbo

24" Dell LCD monitor
TrackIR 5-Pro

#49 Dumbo

Dumbo

Posted 12 October 2009 - 00:11

OK…I figured it out.

And in the spirit of my old RB3D tutorial, here's a step-by-step "how to" for other computer dummies (like me!):

1) As Laser suggested, create a special folder into which you can extract the ZIP file. I simply created mine right on my desktop and named it "RoF QMB."
2) Unzip the QMB files into this folder.
3) Open up your special folder. Inside you'll find another folder entitled "RoF_DogfightGen."
4) Open up the "RoF_DogfightGen" subfolder to find the QMB "executable" file called…no surprise here… "RoF_DogfightGen.exe"
5) Double-click on the "RoF_DogfightGen.exe" file and you'll probably get the Microsoft "Security Warning" pop-up. Go ahead and click "Run" anyway.
6) The first QMB pop-up menu appears. Here you can select one of three maps to use: Arras-to-Cambria, Arras-to-Douai, or Villers Bretonneux-to-San Quentin. Once you've selected your map, click on "Next."
7) The next screen allows you to select your mission parameters: date, time, weather, etc. Click on "Next" when done.
8) The next screen allows you to select the country you'll fly for, your plane, the number of planes in your squadron, as well as the skins you'll be using. Once you're done setting up your own flight, choose the enemy you'll be dogfighting by selecting "Add New AI Flight" at the top of the menu. Follow the same routine for the enemy flight as you did for your own. Click on "Finish."
9) Now you're presented with a pop-up window entitled "Choose Destination." In my case, by default it was bringing me back to my desktop folder "RoF QMB" that I'd created for the ZIP files. You're asked to name the mission you created. I just called my first try "Mission #1." Click on "Save."
10) Open up the folder into which you just saved your new mission (the "RoF QMB" folder in my case), and in it you'll find THREE new mission files with the following extensions: .eng, .list, .Mission.
11) Copy all three of these files and drop them into your RoF/Data/Missions folder.
12) Launch RoF. Click on "Missions" at the main menu. You'll see your new mission listed…however, it will be listed under its "default" name depending on which map you selected. In my case it was named "Quick Dogfight Mission-Douai." However, I was able to change the name to "SE-5a vs. Pfalz DXII' using the RoF Mission Editor. At the same time, I was able to add my own little mission description.
Dumbo

24" Dell LCD monitor
TrackIR 5-Pro

#50 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:37

With the latest version, you can select the location to save the files in, so you can cut out a step at the end if you just go ahead and tell it to save the newly created mission files where they need to wind up, in your RoF\data\Missions folder [I actually created a subfolder in the Missions folder that I called "Quick Dogfights" to save all these quick-generated missions in - I find that it makes it easier to group these missions together on the in-game menu if you do this). It seems to remember the save destination the next time you use it, so once you point it to your ultimate desired destination it'll put them there every time after that.

You can also change the default name of the missions and add your own description by opening the ".eng" file in a text editor like notepad, if you don't want to use the RoF mission editor to do it. It would be great if Laser could update the quick generator to make it a bit easier to do this, but it's a fabulous little tool even without that.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#51 Dumbo

Dumbo

Posted 13 October 2009 - 02:20

I actually created a subfolder in the Missions folder that I called "Quick Dogfights" to save all these quick-generated missions in - I find that it makes it easier to group these missions together on the in-game menu if you do this.

Great idea, Panthercules…works like a charm! Keeps everything neat and tidy, too…I like it!
Dumbo

24" Dell LCD monitor
TrackIR 5-Pro

#52 Dumbo

Dumbo

Posted 13 October 2009 - 17:08

Cool - thanks for the prompt reply and info. In the mission file generated by the quick generator, I found only two such timer objects, only one of which had anything that looked like it might be a 10 second time limit - that section of the file read as follows:

MCU_Timer
{
Index = 12;
Name = "Trigger Timer";
Desc = "";
Targets = [5];
Objects = [];
XPos = 219671;
YPos = 299.322;
ZPos = 81108.3;
XOri = 0;
YOri = 0;
ZOri = 0;
Time = 10;
Random = 100;
}

Does this look like it would be the right place, and would changing the "Time = 10;" line to "Time = 60;" mean that the mission wouldn't end until 60 seconds after all the planes on one side were down?

(The other such object read as follows:

MCU_Timer
{
Index = 4;
Name = "Trigger Timer";
Desc = "";
Targets = [6];
Objects = [];
XPos = 219461;
YPos = 257.152;
ZPos = 81500.3;
XOri = 0;
YOri = 0;
ZOri = 0;
Time = 3;
Random = 100;
}

I have no idea what this object does, but since it seems to have time = "3" instead of 10, I assumed that it would not be related to ending the game 10 seconds after anything - does that sound right?

I've been following this thread with interest since installing the QMB the other night. I, too, would like to know how to resolve this timing issue. Anybody able to answer Panthercules' post that I've quoted above?

Other feedback:

- My AI squadmates don't attack the enemy when given the command to do so. Even when I'm engaged and getting my tail shot off by multiple bad guys, my mates all seem to be obvlivious to the action.

- I'd like to be able to change my squadron's formation at the outset of the mission.

- I seem to be getting more "stuttering" in these missions than I do when flying the stock missions–which all run smooth as silk on my rig.

Still, this is a great utility. It adds a new level of "freshness" and fun to a sim that, while having loads of potential, is still sorely lacking in truly immersive off-line game play.
Dumbo

24" Dell LCD monitor
TrackIR 5-Pro

#53 MattM

MattM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 20:31

- My AI squadmates don't attack the enemy when given the command to do so. Even when I'm engaged and getting my tail shot off by multiple bad guys, my mates all seem to be obvlivious to the action.

- I seem to be getting more "stuttering" in these missions than I do when flying the stock missions–which all run smooth as silk on my rig.
The wingmen should attack, when you give them the order via alt+7. Works perfect for me.

For the stuttering, try to create mission with the "average" sky setting instead the "clear". "clear" sky missions stutter for many people here, including myself, so i just use "average".

#54 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 13 October 2009 - 23:07

Cool - thanks for the prompt reply and info. In the mission file generated by the quick generator, I found only two such timer objects, only one of which had anything that looked like it might be a 10 second time limit - that section of the file read as follows:

MCU_Timer
{
Index = 12;
Name = "Trigger Timer";
Desc = "";
Targets = [5];
Objects = [];
XPos = 219671;
YPos = 299.322;
ZPos = 81108.3;
XOri = 0;
YOri = 0;
ZOri = 0;
Time = 10;
Random = 100;
}

Does this look like it would be the right place, and would changing the "Time = 10;" line to "Time = 60;" mean that the mission wouldn't end until 60 seconds after all the planes on one side were down?

(The other such object read as follows:

MCU_Timer
{
Index = 4;
Name = "Trigger Timer";
Desc = "";
Targets = [6];
Objects = [];
XPos = 219461;
YPos = 257.152;
ZPos = 81500.3;
XOri = 0;
YOri = 0;
ZOri = 0;
Time = 3;
Random = 100;
}

I have no idea what this object does, but since it seems to have time = "3" instead of 10, I assumed that it would not be related to ending the game 10 seconds after anything - does that sound right?

I've been following this thread with interest since installing the QMB the other night. I, too, would like to know how to resolve this timing issue. Anybody able to answer Panthercules' post that I've quoted above?.

I never saw an answer to my post, but I went ahead and tried changing the one "10" I saw to "60", and it does seem to have solved the too-sudden-end of missions I was seeing before that.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#55 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 13 October 2009 - 23:18

@ Laser - this really is a very cool tool - thanks so much for making it and letting us use it.

One thought I had while driving home today - how hard would it be, given the structure of the latest version, to make one of the "Add AI Flight" drop-down options be balloons? I don't really know how the program/ME handles balloons, but if there was any way to do this it would really add some cool possibilities. If you can choose the side of the balloons like you can the AI aircraft, then you would be able to set up both balloon busting and balloon protection missions, which would give us some good variety to mix in with the head-to-head dogfight type missions.

Along with maybe adding the ability to easily enter the name of the mission and a brief description for the in-game menu, those would be the improvements to the tool I would most like to see if you happen to do any updating of this great program.

#56 Dumbo

Dumbo

Posted 14 October 2009 - 00:12

I never saw an answer to my post, but I went ahead and tried changing the one "10" I saw to "60", and it does seem to have solved the too-sudden-end of missions I was seeing before that.

I'm going to try changing BOTH MCU_Timer entries (where it says "Time") to 600 (not 60) and see what that does…
Dumbo

24" Dell LCD monitor
TrackIR 5-Pro

#57 Dumbo

Dumbo

Posted 14 October 2009 - 00:16

Along with maybe adding the ability to easily enter the name of the mission and a brief description for the in-game menu, those would be the improvements to the tool I would most like to see if you happen to do any updating of this great program.

You can do this in the .eng file. See my example below:

0:SPADs vs. Albatross DVs
1:<b>November 1918: Three days before the armistice, Eddie Rickenbacker leads a late afternoon patrol behind enemy lines. The famed "Hat In The Ring" squadron comes across a flight of four Albatross DVs and decimates them!</b><br>by Dumbo</b>
2:Dumbo
3:Quick Dogfight
4:
5:Translator Mission Objective
6:
7:Translator Mission Objective
8:
9:All Order planes have been destroyed. Mission ends in 600 seconds
10:All Opposite planes have been destroyed. Mission ends in 600 seconds

NOTE: The 600 seconds you see here was my first attempt to extend the mission end time (it didn't work) before learning about the MCU_Timer tweak noted above.
Dumbo

24" Dell LCD monitor
TrackIR 5-Pro

#58 Laser

Laser

Posted 14 October 2009 - 00:32

@ Laser - this really is a very cool tool - thanks so much for making it and letting us use it.

One thought I had while driving home today - how hard would it be, given the structure of the latest version, to make one of the "Add AI Flight" drop-down options be balloons? I don't really know how the program/ME handles balloons, but if there was any way to do this it would really add some cool possibilities. If you can choose the side of the balloons like you can the AI aircraft, then you would be able to set up both balloon busting and balloon protection missions, which would give us some good variety to mix in with the head-to-head dogfight type missions.

Hmm, it is a nice idea, but won't fit i think with the current generator code. But: those balloons can be included in a template. For example you can have a template at Verdun with some French balloons observing the enemies - or you can edit an existing template and add a group of balloons in there. I hope to have at least one template like that in the next (non-beta) version of the generator. If the balloons are in the 'check zone area' object, the enemy AI will try to destroy the balloons (if they have time), after the opposing planes are finished.

What you propose is a particular case of adding 'layers' of objects - balloons, flak, tanks etc. but that i'm afraid is for now outside the scope of the program. I *am* thinking though of making some general, more variety-adding tools.

S!

#59 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:34

You can do this in the .eng file. See my example below:

0:SPADs vs. Albatross DVs
1:<b>November 1918: Three days before the armistice, Eddie Rickenbacker leads a late afternoon patrol behind enemy lines. The famed "Hat In The Ring" squadron comes across a flight of four Albatross DVs and decimates them!</b><br>by Dumbo</b>
2:Dumbo
3:Quick Dogfight
4:
5:Translator Mission Objective
6:
7:Translator Mission Objective
8:
9:All Order planes have been destroyed. Mission ends in 600 seconds
10:All Opposite planes have been destroyed. Mission ends in 600 seconds

NOTE: The 600 seconds you see here was my first attempt to extend the mission end time (it didn't work) before learning about the MCU_Timer tweak noted above.

Yeah - I've been doing it by manually editing the ".eng" file so far. It just would be more elegant and easier to do it from inside the generator, and since it's just some text changes to a simple text file, I figured that it might not be all that hard to implement in the generator.

#60 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:43

Hmm, it is a nice idea, but won't fit i think with the current generator code. But: those balloons can be included in a template. For example you can have a template at Verdun with some French balloons observing the enemies - or you can edit an existing template and add a group of balloons in there. I hope to have at least one template like that in the next (non-beta) version of the generator. If the balloons are in the 'check zone area' object, the enemy AI will try to destroy the balloons (if they have time), after the opposing planes are finished.

What you propose is a particular case of adding 'layers' of objects - balloons, flak, tanks etc. but that i'm afraid is for now outside the scope of the program. I *am* thinking though of making some general, more variety-adding tools.

S!

Yeah, maybe if it isn't possible to add balloons as a drop down choice, having an extra template or two (one with French balloons and one with German ones, if you can't select the balloons' side from a drop down) would probably do the trick. I was just thinking about the QMB in IL-2, where it was possible to select a limited number of ground unit/target types (e.g., airfield defenses, armored column, etc.), but I have no idea how they did it in IL-2 or how it would have to be coded to work in RoF. Whatever works would be great - I'm having fun with the tool as it is, but I love balloon busting missions and it would spice things up a bit to be able to mix some in via the generator.

#61 Dumbo

Dumbo

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:19

I'm going to try changing BOTH MCU_Timer entries (where it says "Time") to 600 (not 60) and see what that does…

Worked like a charm!
Dumbo

24" Dell LCD monitor
TrackIR 5-Pro

#62 Laser

Laser

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:42

Yeah - I've been doing it by manually editing the ".eng" file so far. It just would be more elegant and easier to do it from inside the generator, and since it's just some text changes to a simple text file, I figured that it might not be all that hard to implement in the generator.

Yep, except for the fact that, for COOP missions, the .list file is needed, and it contains a checksum of the resources used (such as the localization file - .eng etc.); if the .eng file is changed, the checksum changes, and so far i don't have a clue about how to change it - only the official Mission Editor knows. So i recommend anyway to change the subtitle texts, mission descriptions etc. via the Mission Editor.

#63 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 14 October 2009 - 13:05

Yep, except for the fact that, for COOP missions, the .list file is needed, and it contains a checksum of the resources used (such as the localization file - .eng etc.); if the .eng file is changed, the checksum changes, and so far i don't have a clue about how to change it - only the official Mission Editor knows. So i recommend anyway to change the subtitle texts, mission descriptions etc. via the Mission Editor.

Ahh - I only do the SP missions so I didn't realize there was a link/dependency on the .list file for coop missions. I've never really messed with the ME itself, since you can edit the .eng file pretty easily in notepad, but I'll give it a quick try. Thanks for the response, and (again) for this great tool :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users