- - - - -

Dogfight Recreation #2 - Raid at Rumbeke

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 14 January 2013 - 17:39

~S~ all

It has been a long time coming, but here is the final product from Tom Cundall and myself. We want to thank those who volunteered those few months ago to help us out with this, but as with all plans they are made to have things go wrong with them and this was no exception. The recordings we made of the missions ended up being rendered useless due to the patch shortly after their recording, and MrWolf had a lot of work on his plate so the project ended up in a mini hiatus until my latest semester was over. The ideas and experience taken away from this get together was extremely valuable as it really helped shape what was created later.

The recreation itself covers the attack on Rumbeke aerodrome (home to Jasta 2) on the 20th October, 1917. Tom pulled out some great sources for this that really helped me make missions to bring the project to life. After some further research at the aerodrome I was able to narrow down serial numbers to individual pilots for the day, as well as what pilots did what which helped the story tell itself without much need for artistic license. I'll leave it up to Tom if he wants to post any of the sources if people wish to know the story in-depth.

We are both busy people though, and I really didn't want the time and effort people put into this project to be a waste, so with the Christmas break I figured I would reshoot it using my old missions, but the game was still thwarting me. Since Rumbeke is extremely close (within about 200m) of the Western Front map's edge there was a message continually stating to turn around which became rather annoying, so I decided to check the Channel map and found the entire area I needed throughout the course of the day was there. Due to this I remade each mission on the new Channel map, and added additional ones, to ensure this project would see the light of day. The really difficult compromise I had to make for this was the fact the Channel map has no autumn textures yet, but it was one that was needed to get it done before I lost the opportunity to do so. Thanks to this I'm now much more conversant in the ME than before. I just barely managed to record it all in 1080p, which really pushed the limits of my computer and the engine with the amount of aircraft and objects involved (average was about 30 aircraft + ground stuff).

This recreation also required a lot of skins to be made, so I ended up creating around 20 skins covering the Sopwith Camels from 70 SQN down to the serial numbers per pilot (thanks Bbob for the custom lettering help), Spad V.IIs from 23 Squadron, and a Jasta 2 skin. I may submit them for polling, but I don't think I have the time to sort out all the translations/posts and what not. If anyone wants the skins I can post a link for them.

I apologise for this long post, but this was just some background about the process and the event itself. Hopefully you can take away something new from watching it.

Enjoy,

#2 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 14 January 2013 - 18:01

Wow, amazing work! Thank you to all who made it, good job! :)

#3 1PL-Sahaj-1Esk

1PL-Sahaj-1Esk

Posted 14 January 2013 - 18:01

I will vote for Req&Tom on BBC History in HD :)

kpt. pil. / Capt. Sahaj / Operations Officer / 1. Eskadra Mysliwska / 1. Pulk Lotniczy / http://www.1pl.boo.pl

bannerf11esks.png?raw=1

http://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com

#4 Edward_Gale

Edward_Gale

Posted 14 January 2013 - 18:11

Turned out great! Had a lot of fun strafing the Huns :D

#5 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 14 January 2013 - 18:11

wow, quite an effort. Really impressive

#6 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 14 January 2013 - 18:34

Very nice! Great use of Vander's models, too. Really pleased to see the result. Thanks!

#7 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 14 January 2013 - 18:58

A real beauty of an ROF video. I loved all of the historical details, the cinematography, the score, and the action.

8-)

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#8 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 14 January 2013 - 19:26

Very, very nice ….. thanks to you and all who helped you make it ….

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#9 Bullets

Bullets

Posted 14 January 2013 - 19:29

This was very fun to take part in ^_^ Great vid!

#10 LordNeuro_Srb

LordNeuro_Srb
  • LocationNovi Sad/Serbia

Posted 14 January 2013 - 20:00

Amezing work , and lots of effort to make such a gr8 movie.
:S!: :S!: to all ho make it hapend.

#11 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 14 January 2013 - 20:05

Wow. That was really impressive. :S!:

#12 SYN_MrWolf

SYN_MrWolf

Posted 14 January 2013 - 21:00

Wow..this is the first complete short film made entirely in Rof. Well done Requiem!

#13 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 14 January 2013 - 21:09

Really excellent! Vander's new ground objects really add a huge amount!

Thanks for sharing!

#14 J2_Tony

J2_Tony

Posted 14 January 2013 - 21:23

Awesome work Requiem, and that was fun being a bit player in this as well.

#15 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 14 January 2013 - 21:57

Thanks guys, it's great to see it received so well from all of you! I'm glad its done though as there is now free time for flying :)

#16 J5_Vorlander

J5_Vorlander

Posted 14 January 2013 - 22:24

Brilliant Gents.

:S!:

#17 N28_Uberplane

N28_Uberplane

Posted 14 January 2013 - 22:25

Wow, bloody brilliant work, mate! This will definitely attract a fair bit of attraction to RoF. I'd guess that you've posted this on SimHQ and perhaps would consider posting it on the BOS forums?

=IRFC=

#18 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 14 January 2013 - 22:38

Thanks for the feedback guys. And thanks to everyone who took part/contributed - sorry we couldn't use all your footage.

Also well done Req for the editing, compilation and soundtrack - it's genuinely awesome.

#19 HippyDruid

HippyDruid

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:32

Cool film lads!
S!

#20 Eckhart

Eckhart

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:04

Amazing!

#21 Wiley

Wiley

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:12

Superbly well done! Long overdue documentary movie about true WWI historical events, begging to be depicted in Flight Sim movies. If we wait until History Channel gets around to it….Well, that just won't happen!

I hope many others in the Flight Simulation gaming communities will consider entering the Movie-making sub-community and produce more excellent documentary movies/stories such as this one. They are difficult…not the simple ubiquitous cockpit point-of-view gameplay videos that are the norm on youtube.

Again, Requiem….Very Well Done, indeed!!!!

Wiley

#22 Ashenden

Ashenden

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:03

This film is a work of art - and a brilliant piece of historical recreation.

Congratulations to all involved.

#23 =J99=Sizzlorr

=J99=Sizzlorr

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:49

Very good work and a stunning movie that is. I just wonder how the hell could J2 catch those retreating Camels, if their Albs were as slow as ours :)

yedwwtfx.gif

#24 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:54

I wondered what had happened to it!! Well worth the wait Well done to Requiem & TCundall for all the hard work and research that went into this. Excellent film

#25 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:22

Very good work and a stunning movie that is. I just wonder how the hell could J2 catch those retreating Camels, if their Albs were as slow as ours :)

QFT

#26 SYN_DerHesse70

SYN_DerHesse70

Posted 15 January 2013 - 13:06

Very nice movie!!! :S!:

Really impressive.

#27 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 18:04

Awesome movie guys!

Jason

#28 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 15 January 2013 - 18:31

S!

Truely a great video. The quality of production and history involved place it on a very high level. Definitely History Channel. The direction and editing were at a very profesional level.

The purpose of any video is to tell a story. This one both tells the story and gets the viewer emotionaly involved.

Thanks to all involved.

Well done indeed!!!

sig9.png

#29 SYN_Ricky

SYN_Ricky

Posted 15 January 2013 - 19:01

Great video really, had a blast watching it, thank you. :shock:

I tried to look for info about that reference you put at the end for the book on the fighter-bomber Camel, but I couldn't find anything on the net. Could you tell me more about it, the title looks interesting, thanks.

#30 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 15 January 2013 - 19:02

I tried to look for info about that reference you put at the end for the book on the fighter-bomber Camel, but I couldn't find anything on the net. Could you tell me more about it, the title looks interesting, thanks.

It's an article written by TC. I don't think it has been published yet but I could be wrong.

#31 SYN_Ricky

SYN_Ricky

Posted 15 January 2013 - 19:04

It's an article written by TC. I don't think it has been published yet but I could be wrong.

Ah, ok, I should have thought about it seeing that TC was involved in the making of the video ! :S!:

#32 Branwell

Branwell

Posted 15 January 2013 - 19:06

Fantastic - great piece of work. Shows the sim off beautifully - some of the formation and dogfight sections are great!

#33 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 15 January 2013 - 19:09

It's a book. I'm in discussion with publishers at the moment. Hoping for a late-2013/early-2014 release. Hopefully in time to tie in with the centenary of the start of the war.

When I know more I'll post it and I'm sure work out an offer for ROF community members.

#34 SYN_Ricky

SYN_Ricky

Posted 15 January 2013 - 19:16

It's a book. I'm in discussion with publishers at the moment. Hoping for a late-2013/early-2014 release. Hopefully in time to tie in with the centenary of the start of the war.

When I know more I'll post it and I'm sure work out an offer for ROF community members.

That's great news TC, I'll sure grab a copy when it's published !

#35 Barkhorn1x

Barkhorn1x

Posted 15 January 2013 - 22:02

Great stuff. Very atmospheric - a time capsule.

#36 Flashy

Flashy
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:25

Great vid, thanks Req! Pity you couldnt use any of the footage we filmed for it, but it was good fun anyway :)

Just because I can give multiple orgasms to the furniture just by sitting on it, doesn't mean that I'm not sick of this damn war: the blood, the noise, the endless poetry...

#37 SC-Sp00k

SC-Sp00k

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:10

Great Movie. Liked it a lot. Well done to all involved.

#38 Blade_meister

Blade_meister

Posted 17 January 2013 - 15:26

Well I must say -Requiem-, that I for one am thoroughly ticked off!!! Possibly my one and only chance to be a "Movie Star" and what do you do? You leave all the footage with my superb flying and acting skills on the cutting room floor!!! How could you do this, my career is finished!!! The worst thing is I was replaced by the ROF AI!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! :roll: that is the worst cut you could have given any of us faithfull actors who invested countless hours of our time and hard work into this project, not to mention putting up with you as a slave driving director, with all your yelling, not ever giving us any breaks in those 18 hour shoots, and making us do take after take after take!!! Ruthless you were!!! 70SQN Takeoffs mission take 73 , TRY TO GIVE IT A LITTLE PEP THIS TIME GUYS, Req Yells , always yelling and more Yelling. Airfield Attack Mission take 49 , Kempf – J2 Bbobenheimer, I SAW YOU ASLEEP IN THE COCKPIT IN THAT LAST TAKE, RUINED THE WHOLE SHOT, GET WITH IT!!! Always Yelling , Yelling , Yelling. Req was a monster, I think it all went to his head a bit you know. By the way, I never received my check, and what is this I hear of you paying royalties to Jason for the use of the AI? I think a call to my Lawyer is appropriate right about now.

Nice job Req and Tom Cundall, a very enjoyable effort you two have produced here. It was fun being a part of the live action on the last shoot, Thanks for all both of you do for ROF and the Community. :S!:

S!Blade<><

#39 Jaeger_301

Jaeger_301

Posted 17 January 2013 - 18:46

fantastic work Requiem

#40 Dunringill

Dunringill

Posted 17 January 2013 - 19:02

Very nice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users