Photo
- - - - -

Ground textures "smart blur" mod

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#81 Gadfly21

Gadfly21

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:39

It's a result of the changes in the recent patch. The graphics engine was altered to accommodate the 3-d water on the channel map.

#82 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:18

I've seen that before the update as well.

#83 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 28 January 2013 - 16:30

I've seen that before the update as well.

Dito! Don´t think it has something to do with the mods because i´ve seen it also with no mods in RoF way before 1.29b

#84 NattyIced

NattyIced

Posted 28 January 2013 - 17:57

Hey Ankor - I'm not sure if this has anything to do with this mod or if it's maybe one of the other texture mods I'm playing around with or something else, but when I was running a test with your road blur and your anti-shimmering mods installed (along with Laser's landscape textures and some extra noise stuff) I happened to nose my Albatros over on a forced landing in a field, and saw this weird anomaly when I was lying upside down:

Never seen this before and haven't been able to replicate it - does it look like anything that any of this texture mod stuff might lead to?

That's existed for a long time, since the beginning actually. It's just that they removed the ability to sit in your cockpit in most instances where you would see it. In the past, when you nosed over and were inverted on the ground, you would always stay in your cockpit - and your view point would be below the ground. That is what happens when there is nothing rendered "below" the ground when your view point breaks through the terrain - which is why the software was changed to no longer allow your view point to be from the cockpit if your view point is below the terrain. The view point doesn't change to external 100% of the time, but it does most of the time.

In the past you could also land in the water and sink, with your view point going below the water level, and you would see the same stuff - but blue instead. Now as your plane sinks, you are thrown into an external view.

So, nothing new there - it's been there since forever ago.

"Now comes a matter that I want to discuss with you: Our aircraft, quite frankly, are ridiculously inferior to British [aircraft]. The [Sopwith] Triplane and 200hp SPAD, as well as the Sopwith [Camel] single-seater, play with our [Albatros] D.V. In addition to having better-quality aircraft, they have far more [of them]. Our really good fighter pilots are lost in this manner. The D.V is so far surpassed by and so ridiculously inferior to the British single-seaters that one cannot begin to do anything with [the D.V]. But the people at home have brought out no new machines for almost a year, [only] these lousy Albatroses, and have remained stuck with the Albatros D.III [types], in which I fought in the autumn of last year." - Manfred von Richtofen

#85 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 28 January 2013 - 23:45

That's existed for a long time, since the beginning actually. It's just that they removed the ability to sit in your cockpit in most instances where you would see it. In the past, when you nosed over and were inverted on the ground, you would always stay in your cockpit - and your view point would be below the ground. That is what happens when there is nothing rendered "below" the ground when your view point breaks through the terrain - which is why the software was changed to no longer allow your view point to be from the cockpit if your view point is below the terrain. The view point doesn't change to external 100% of the time, but it does most of the time.

In the past you could also land in the water and sink, with your view point going below the water level, and you would see the same stuff - but blue instead. Now as your plane sinks, you are thrown into an external view.

So, nothing new there - it's been there since forever ago.

Thanks for the explanation.

But, if as you say "the software was changed to no longer allow your view point to be from the cockpit if your view point is below the terrain", I wonder why it left me sitting in the cockpit with my head underground so I'd be in a position to see it this time.

Some sort of beta for a new "ostrich field mod" maybe? Or a new unannounced feature to stop Dolphin nose overs from killing you by crushing your virtual head that somehow got mis-programmed on an Albatros instead? (Out of some misguided call for "balance" perhaps?) :)

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#86 NattyIced

NattyIced

Posted 29 January 2013 - 00:14

I also said it doesn't change to external 100% of the time. There might be some times where the conditions aren't met to put the view point to external, but still leaves you with a view of the underworld.

"Now comes a matter that I want to discuss with you: Our aircraft, quite frankly, are ridiculously inferior to British [aircraft]. The [Sopwith] Triplane and 200hp SPAD, as well as the Sopwith [Camel] single-seater, play with our [Albatros] D.V. In addition to having better-quality aircraft, they have far more [of them]. Our really good fighter pilots are lost in this manner. The D.V is so far surpassed by and so ridiculously inferior to the British single-seaters that one cannot begin to do anything with [the D.V]. But the people at home have brought out no new machines for almost a year, [only] these lousy Albatroses, and have remained stuck with the Albatros D.III [types], in which I fought in the autumn of last year." - Manfred von Richtofen

#87 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:01

I also said it doesn't change to external 100% of the time.

Yeah - I know you did - I was just wondering what might have gone wrong with whatever algorithm they used to try to keep this from happening. I assume that if it were happening a lot we'd see more posts about it. This is the first and only time I've encountered this in some 3+ years, so it seems to be a pretty low-frequency occurrence, and probably not worth a giant bug-hunt at this point.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#88 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 29 January 2013 - 16:49

after re-reading this post

I remember the same , when you flipps a plane or crashes the cockpit view stopped and a external view of the plane started

That is the cause of this graphical issue so it would not be that hard to fix but maybe the camera external view causes a different issue and thats why it was removed …. maybe external view on a water crash landing

Its all about compromises :) im fine with it happening its not every crash landing

#89 NattyIced

NattyIced

Posted 29 January 2013 - 16:59

The problem is, Panthercules, it's not a bug. There's just nothing rendered there, it's a no man's land for graphical rendering and is just the way of life "beyond" the boundaries of the rendered world.

I've had that graphical phenomena occur in other titles that allow noclip and to travel outside of the designed/rendered world/levels.

Unless you mean that the bug is that the view doesn't always switch to external when exposed to the ethereal, then that is a bug. One so miniscule as to be inconsequential though. There are bigger bugs to take the can of Raid to.

#90 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 29 January 2013 - 21:14

Yeah - I wasn't talking about the rendering, but the allowance of the head/camera to be placed in a position underground when they seem to have tried to change the code to avoid that, as the potential bug, but again unless it starts happening a lot more than just once every 3+ years I don't think it's worthy of any attention.

#91 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 30 January 2013 - 00:25

Easy way to replicate the issue is flip your plane and survive ,it happens alot in this situation since 28-29 patch

#92 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:27

This is getting a bit off topic here ;)

I go back to topic by saying: THIS No shimmer Mod…THIS…..THIS….RRRRRR!

Thank you very much, working great!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users