Photo
- - - - -

Ins and outs of JSGME

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Xenomerv

Xenomerv

Posted 07 January 2013 - 18:42

Jones Soft Generic Mod Enabler is a mod enabler, it can be used with a majority of games
here i will explain all the ins and outs for new users and modders

i will devide this up in sections and will provide screenshots

Section 1: Setting up your JSGME

Download The latest JSGME (Version 2.6.0) Here or Download the JSGME installer here

Drag the JSGME.exe in to your ROF file and run the program (May require admin rights)
You will see a window pop-up it asks how you want to call your mods folder, from the mod folder JSGME will install your mods name it as you want it and press ok
Attached File  JSGME 1.JPG   38.86KB   3723 downloads

Section 1.1: using the JSGME installer
Download the installer (busy with DL link) check in the .rar file if there is an .SED file than your good, now you can open the installer and go to the installation process. the installer should install
JSGME into your ROF file together with a .rar file named mod Package.run the program (May require admin rights) You will see a window pop-up it asks how you want to call your mods folder, from the mod folder JSGME will install your mods name it as you want it and press ok
now you can extract the mod package and drop the files into to your mods file

Section 2: using JSGME as user
when you downloaded a mod you must store it in your JSGME mods folder, here shown with Silent Hunter 3 Attached File  JSGME 2.JPG   12.2KB   3710 downloads

Activating a mod is very simple open your JSGME search your freshly downloaded mod on the left side click on it once Attached File  JSGME 3.JPG   80.8KB   3703 downloads

in the middle you will see three buttons with arrows on it, when you have selected a mod ypu can press the top button Attached File  JSGME 4.JPG   11.06KB   3704 downloads

When its correct you should see your selected mod apear on the right side

Section 3: Using JSGME as a modder
I noted that a lot of mods are just a Data file but if you want you can make it like this
(name) my Mod/ Data/ graphics/ skins/ SE5a
JSGME will look for the usefull files
if you want you can explore mods if you want by selecting a file in JSGME and right click it you will see Explore, Delete and rename. then a window will apear if you press explore and you can look into the mod
Making a readme is very handy for user but what if you cant read the readme without opening the file its very simple. make a mod and then make a normal .txt file and you normaly type something in it then you do the option save as, select save as all files (sorry for the Dutch writing) Attached File  JSGME 7.JPG   44.81KB   3701 downloads and type Filename.JSGME now if you enable the mod en you go over with you cursor you will see your readme pop-up

This is all i know about jsgme this far i will keep this up to date

All questions are welcome
i will busy making a tutorial video for you guys

Greets Xenomerv

#2 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 07 January 2013 - 19:38

Thanks! I have been wanting to look into jsgme for some time. It will be very useful when we start to release 3d (static) objects.

Some mods ( true mods) can only be used with the mods on mode. However, additions such as new clouds, new 3d objects can be used in mods off mode. Is there a way we can distinguish between these two types of mods?
For online servers, you might only need to activate " mods off" mods and having the two types mixed in jsgme could cause a lot of confusion and problems.

#3 Xenomerv

Xenomerv

Posted 07 January 2013 - 20:00

I have bin using JSGME with ROF for some time and i never did in my settings mods on
looks like JSGME evades this

Greets Xenomerv :S!:

#4 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 07 January 2013 - 20:10

I don't think you understand my question. Is there a way to distinguish between dfferent types of mods in jsgme? Maybe we should introduce some kind of suffix "_modsoff" or something in the naming convention.

#5 Xenomerv

Xenomerv

Posted 07 January 2013 - 20:22

well when you make a mod you can make a file around your mod that file can have a name like
New oil mod V0.1. JSGME is a very smart program it distinguishes mods by its self, JSGME doesn't cares what you name it as long it has a correct path like (name) skin mod/ Data/ graphics/ skins/ SE5a its about this part it looks for install paths

i hope this answers your question

For further questions pm me

#6 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:41

JSGME doesn't know or care whether the files it is activating/installing are the kind that RoF considers "mods" or not. I routinely use JSGME to install various skin packages, all of which contain nothing but approved skin subsets and none of which require RoF to run in "mods on" mode. Of course, I also use JSGME to install/activate other mod packages that RoF does consider mods and which thus must be used with "mods on" in RoF. JSGME works equally well with both types, and is the only way I would recommend that you ever modify your game installation's files, just because it makes things so easy in this regard.

JSGME also doesn't care what you call your mod packages - AFAIK you can call them anything that Windows will allow as folder names (haven't found aything that JSGME chokes on yet, at any event).

Therefore, you can certainly adopt whatever naming convention you want to adopt that would indicate to you whether the mod package requires mods on or off in RoF (perhaps something as simple as adding "M-on" or "M-off" to the package's main folder name).

JSGME is a must-have tool - if you're not familiar with it, you should certainly check into it.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#7 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:17

Yes this tool will be important when I create the Mod website. I plan on it being the main tool for installing ROF mods. Learning it will be key.

I would like to make an ROF specific mod tool installer, but in the absence of that we'll focus on JSGME.

Jason

#8 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 08 January 2013 - 16:28

Speaking of ROF specific mod installer. I "secretly" (though Jason knows ;) ) worked on such tool some time ago, but then stopped after deciding that JSGME already has enough functions and there's no need for similar tool.

Some may have seen my mod removal utility - it is a part of what could have been a more complex ROF mod manager. And, by the way, I had the feature Vander asks about - my mod manager could automatically check whether a "mod" actually required "mods on" mode.

This is early work in progress screenshot:
Attached File  modman.png   49.35KB   3564 downloads

Anyway right now I'm too busy, can't work on too many things at once ;)
Maybe if there will be enough reasons to move on from JSGME I'll resume this project.

#9 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 08 January 2013 - 16:51

Looks very promising! But as you said: It's good to focus on one thing and I think JSGME will work for now. Maybe later…

#10 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 00:23

Looks very promising! But as you said: It's good to focus on one thing and I think JSGME will work for now. Maybe later…

Well, ok AnKor spilled the beans on his earlier unfinished work. Maybe someday.

:S!:

Jason

#11 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:31

Looks like it would be very good indeed. A mod manager with a RoF specific skin would be pretty flash. Maybe as part of the launcher even.

#12 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:32

Well, ok AnKor spilled the beans on his earlier unfinished work. Maybe someday.
I just wanted to let people know that having custom mod manager is possible :)
I don't want to hijack the thread, but if anybody knows any useful features missing from JSGME - just make a note here.

Maybe as part of the launcher even.
Maybe ;)

#13 Xenomerv

Xenomerv

Posted 10 January 2013 - 16:49

I have created a simple installer so you can directly install it into your ROF folder also included some mods to get started

#14 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 10 January 2013 - 17:21

Thanks for this writeup!

#15 rodman

rodman
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 13 February 2013 - 00:26

Help..please.. Downloaded jsgme file from website….Tried to open it with Winzip..They wanted some money though it was supposed to be free and it was when i attempted to remove it and it messed up the toolbar…So were might this installer be…

#16 tvrtko

tvrtko

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:33

Winzip isn't "supposed to be free".
From where did you get that ??
Hell, it's not even close to free.
It's staggering 29.95 ! Bucks !!! :?
And their top product is Now $59.95. :mrgreen:
But that's good, it's originally $74.90. :xx:

Go for 7-ZiP mate. That's - free.
And opens them all, rar, zip, 7z…

http://www.7-zip.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.7-zip.org/

#17 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 13 February 2013 - 15:00

A personal thanks to Xenomerv for this thread, to all you for helping fill out the conversation, and to AnKor85 for his works. AnKor85 I like the look of it, thanks.

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#18 rodman

rodman
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:17

tvrtko….Thats the way it went down…Typed in Winzip they said…FREE…Well anyway I have zip 7 now..Thanks for the tip

#19 Xenomerv

Xenomerv

Posted 28 February 2014 - 15:35

I finally came to it and created an install program

my real life got me in the way and i totally forgot about it.

here it is and its also in the main post

Download JSGME install Here

#20 Henronicus

Henronicus

Posted 18 January 2016 - 18:57

What does it mean if a mod is greyed out? will it still function?

#21 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 13 February 2016 - 18:47

@Henronicus: IIRC, it means that another mod after it is over-writing some files that are already within the greyed-out mod. You can test that out by trying to disable that greyed-out mod. You should get a pop up telling you which mod(s) is (are) over-writing it.

Cheers!

In exile.

#22 fliddlesticks

fliddlesticks

Posted 09 September 2017 - 17:32

Into what folder and and then what file does one place jsgme and the Gui interface programs?  Is anything else needed to install these two? I did it sucessfully 6-7 yrs ago, but I'm 70 yrs old now and somewhat slower(mentally) than I used to be. I have a new computer now and need some advice  regarding how to do this again.  One guy on the forum(trying to help) said to "always make jsgme point toward Rise of Flight".  How does one make jsgme point toward Rise of Flight?

#23 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:12

Into what folder and and then what file does one place jsgme and the Gui interface programs?  Is anything else needed to install these two? I did it sucessfully 6-7 yrs ago, but I'm 70 yrs old now and somewhat slower(mentally) than I used to be. I have a new computer now and need some advice  regarding how to do this again.  One guy on the forum(trying to help) said to "always make jsgme point toward Rise of Flight".  How does one make jsgme point toward Rise of Flight?

Don't worry too much about "pointing" JSGME to RoF - that comment is probably addressing the fact that you can actually install JSGME pretty much anywhere you want and then tell it where RoF is - but the easiest thing to do is simply put your JSGME.exe file in your main Rise of Flight folder.  Then create a folder called "MODS" in your main Rise of Flight folder.  Put any mod package folders (including the one for the PWCG GUI mod) in your MODS folder.  Then just run JSGME.exe, and you should be good to go.  If you don't have a JSGME-ready version of the GUI Mod package, you can use the copy I've made available here:  http://www.mediafire...7_for_JSGME.zip - just unzip that package into your MODS folder and then run JSGME.exe to activate your mod(s).

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#24 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 10 September 2017 - 15:22

Who knows it is maybe helpful for some members, but on the ED forum they are creating an JSGME alternative.

https://forums.eagle...highlight=jsgme

home page at: 

http://www.ovoid.org/ovgme/index.htm

If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#25 fliddlesticks

fliddlesticks

Posted 11 September 2017 - 21:53

Thanks for the info Panthercules. Would I be OK using the  unified PWCG with GUI v. 2.1.2 with my non steam ROF game? If not, where do i find the latest PWCG and GUI versions? Thanks.

#26 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:21

Thanks for the info Panthercules. Would I be OK using the  unified PWCG with GUI v. 2.1.2 with my non steam ROF game? If not, where do i find the latest PWCG and GUI versions? Thanks.

yes - I'm using them with my non-steam version of RoF just fine (I think it would probably work OK with the Steam version too, but I've never tried running RoF through Steam so I can't say for sure).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users