Photo
- - - - -

All Discussion of Sound Bug goes here.

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#81 SC-Sp00k

SC-Sp00k

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:40

Surely then, if we remove the 2 engine aircraft from Flying Circus server completely and wait 24 hours, we will have an immediate answer as to whats causing the grief?

The lack of ingame communication re the "bug that shall not be named" will tell us all we need to know.

….or was this brilliant idea actually Sids and I stole it? I remember reading it somewhere. LOL

#82 ER_O_v._Kessler

ER_O_v._Kessler

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:37

hi all ,
clear is ….sound bug was and is in rof .
he is not coming with the felix or the new map..
for now it happens much more as before the new patch and most everybody can feel it …

for me the sound bug happens not only on channel map .
on every online server .
last on syndicate ,without felixs ..
fly for more than 30 min without any sound trouble ,then fight with 3-6 fighters, from first shot no gun sound ..
then no engine sound ,engine sound back ,gun sound not ,engine sound runs from left to right but not so loud ,no stereo..
then engine sound away , no sound ,…only landing sound to hear and wind around …guns and engine sounds stay away…
thats what happens mostly ..

restart ..all sound there

greetings

G.D

Bulls..t. I didnt have since 2010 whn i start playing RoF any soundbug..

Spandau.. What else ?? :icon_mad:

#83 Thaatu

Thaatu

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:39

The sound bug doesn't bother me anymore. I switched the number of sounds down to 32 and delete the sound log before every flight, except if I forget to. Even so in single player I can fly at least four sorties before catching the bug, or two sorties in heavily populated online server. It's not a fix, but at least a very effective work-around for me.

#84 BENTYx

BENTYx

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:51

I noticed that on FastFood server sound bug always comes much later than on FlyingCircus

#85 =J99=Sizzlorr

=J99=Sizzlorr

Posted 16 January 2013 - 13:03

On Fast Food are different settings than on Flying Circus. Maybe it also has something to do with it. On FF there are no exterior views allowed as on Syndicate. On both servers the soundbug is not as instant and heavy as on FC server on my end. On FC you can switch to exterior views (F2 - F4) and the soundbug is pretty instant and heavy on this server.

yedwwtfx.gif

#86 s8n333x2

s8n333x2

Posted 16 January 2013 - 16:52

Something of interest I found. I was playing around with settings last night and learned that since the update I didn't have sharpen image on. Well I never got the bug before update and always had it on since it came out as a setting. So I turned it on and played a bit. Since I turned it back on I can't get the sound bug to rear it's ugly head. Is it connected? Probably not but I myself can't get it to do it. I figured I would at least post it here just in case.

#87 SC-Billy

SC-Billy

Posted 16 January 2013 - 17:58

There's a certain amount of FUD that keeps getting posted here.
The truth is:

1) Deleting the _sound_.log file accomplishes nothing. ROF.exe itself deletes the file every time it starts up. It's just a log that gets created each time you run the program.
If you don't believe me, then try this: Fire up RoF and as soon as you get to the login prompt, quit. Then go and look at the _sound_.log file. It will be just 331 bytes long.

2) The sound bug is not something new that showed up in v1.029; many people, myself included, have experienced it for more than a year now. It's more frequent on certain missions and servers (e.g., Flying Circus, lake tdm) and commonly appears when a new mission loads on a server and you don't restart RoF.

What we need to know is this:
- is there a simple, repeatable set of actions that will reliably produce the bug? Given this, the RoF or FMOD developers will be able to isolate it.
- is there a simple workaround that we can use until it's found and fixed?

#88 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 16 January 2013 - 18:08

S! All

Here goes, gonna jinx myself.

I saw posts about making the sound file read only. I deleted the sound file. Then when it reappeared , I made it read only.

I still had problems.

I tried again, only this time I opened the sound file, hit select all, deleted it and then made the file read only. The file remains empty and no sound bug for 2 weeks. The date last modified is December 29, 2012.

This has not fixed the cause only the symptom, at least for me.

I know, I am doomed now.

sig9.png

#89 oneeyeddog

oneeyeddog

Posted 16 January 2013 - 18:13

2) The sound bug is not something new that showed up in v1.029; many people, myself included, have experienced it for more than a year now. It's more frequent on certain missions and servers (e.g., Flying Circus, lake tdm) and commonly appears when a new mission loads on a server and you don't restart RoF.

SC-Billy,I personally never experienced any type of sound problem before I downloaded v1.029, and now it happens all the time.

#90 kimmy_yeager

kimmy_yeager

Posted 16 January 2013 - 18:48

Possible smoking gun?

In the UPDATES folder there are these files:

12-12-21_bin_game_release_fmod_event.dll
12-12-21_bin_game_release_fmodex.dll.patch
12-12-21_bin_viewer_release_fmod_event.dll
12-12-21_bin_viewer_release_fmod_event.dll
12-12-21_bin_viewer_release_SoundEngine.dll.patch

The UPDATES folder has a date/timestamp of 12/24/2012 9:40pm and is 870Mb.

They obviously released some new sound code.

Please encourage all players to post here so we can get this thread as large as it can be so 777 knows that the 'bug that shall not be named' is affect a significant portion of the player base.

#91 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 16 January 2013 - 18:54

kimmy, how many pages of pointless chatter do you think we need before they realize how serious it is?

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#92 s8n333x2

s8n333x2

Posted 16 January 2013 - 19:29

I found if I stand on one foot and hum the American national anthem while shooting boogers out of one nostril it takes an hour for the bug to show up. lmmfao

#93 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 20:38

About the Sound Bug

Jason

#94 J5_Vorlander

J5_Vorlander

Posted 16 January 2013 - 21:12

Thx Jason

#95 Gadfly21

Gadfly21

Posted 16 January 2013 - 21:29

Thanks for the update. :S!:

#96 kimmy_yeager

kimmy_yeager

Posted 16 January 2013 - 21:49

kimmy, how many pages of pointless chatter do you think we need before they realize how serious it is?

This tread is about possible causes/solutions. I posted what I thought to be pertinent info.

Having more players report possible issues may narrow it down.

Your tone is not welcome, and you did not post anything related to the sound bug. If you have anything to share sound bug related, please do.

#97 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 16 January 2013 - 21:55

Sorry kimmy, I thought you wanted people to follow your lead, and most of what you have posted on the sound bug is useless chatter.

In any case, it looks like they might have a potential fix. Sound the church bells!!!

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#98 iowa-1966

iowa-1966

Posted 16 January 2013 - 22:01

I for one feel a great weight lifted off me with this new memo from the front office

Sean M

#99 Kevlar

Kevlar

Posted 16 January 2013 - 23:27

I personally never experienced any type of sound problem before I downloaded v1.029, and now it happens all the time.

I play RoF online for more than a year and a half. Not every day, but I am sure that 'sound bug' is old thing in RoF. It has happened VERY rare on my systems. Maybe 3-5 times. I had to run RoF.exe for about 5-8 hours without being restarted for this bug to appear.

is there a simple workaround that we can use until it's found and fixed?

Now I restart exe after each sortie online. Bug is very rare in this way of playing online. But this workaround will not help in finding the cause though.

#100 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:50

Thanks for the update!

#101 stelr

stelr

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:16

Tks for the update Jason! No end zone dance yet, but just the info that it is being worked hard is welcome news indeed.

Keeping the communications open has always been a stong point of 777 and the ROF crew, and you seem to understand that. Other sims could take a lesson. Just my personal observation.

#102 Fawlty

Fawlty
  • LocationVictoria B.C.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:29

Appreciate the update Jason.

Our Old Fokkers Squad have been flying coop in deathmatch format for 3 years now. I would have to say the sound bug has been around for at least a year, although not as bad as at present. We find if the missions are long as in 2 hours plus and loaded with objects as I tend to produce, the bug showed up for everyone, over the last year. The only way to rid yourself of it was a restart.
I've tried all the various fixes posted here with no positive results.
Really looking forward to the hotfix to carry on flying this sim we thoroughly enjoy.

#103 Stick-95

Stick-95

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:43

Thanks Jason, hope it works, looking forward to it.

I did notice loss of engine noise in a different fashion last night. First I noticed yellow streaks past my cockpit. Then some thud sounds. All of a sudden there was something blocking my view, like a fluid. All engine noise then stopped. Oh ya, my propeller was not turning, which I assume is a graphic glitch that may go in sync with the sound bug. Did I mention the smoke?

#104 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:01

I did notice loss of engine noise in a different fashion last night. First I noticed yellow streaks past my cockpit. Then some thud sounds. All of a sudden there was something blocking my view, like a fluid. All engine noise then stopped. Oh ya, my propeller was not turning, which I assume is a graphic glitch that may go in sync with the sound bug. Did I mention the smoke?

Yeah - I've been getting that form of sound loss on a regular basis since RoF was released (although usually the stuff blocking my view was red, before they added the oil effect). It's pretty stunning that this is still happening after all these years - you'd think RoF would understand that I'm a better pilot after all this time, but NOOOO :x :xx: :lol:

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#105 J5_Wolf

J5_Wolf

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:04

Thanks for the update Jason!

#106 =CAM=Voss

=CAM=Voss

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:28

Thx for Upadate Jason!!

Voss

#107 ER_O_v._Kessler

ER_O_v._Kessler

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:52

:?: :?: Which Update :?

[13:51:10] Checking for updates
[13:51:10] No changes were made
[13:51:10] Update finished successfully

#108 tvrtko

tvrtko

Posted 17 January 2013 - 13:00

This…
riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=504063&f=2#p504063
"update".

:S!:

#109 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 17 January 2013 - 14:15

I've often experienced the same problem and it might be skin related. Quite often when this happens there is some bugger with a green tailed plane behind me. I think that might be the cause :x

#110 Blade_meister

Blade_meister

Posted 17 January 2013 - 14:18

Seems I have also had this bug a good bit myself. If all that is not bad enough, the ground starts coming up very quickly and my plane always seems to land upside down. I can confirm that i can make this problem repeat, so if you need my flight log, maybe that will help kill this vicious bug! :lol: Jason, thanks for letting us know where the team is at and how things are going. I know you guys are working hard to fix this problem and I for one certainly appreciate it. Good luck in putting this problem to rest.

S!Blade<><

#111 s8n333x2

s8n333x2

Posted 17 January 2013 - 14:41

:?: :?: Which Update :?

[13:51:10] Checking for updates
[13:51:10] No changes were made
[13:51:10] Update finished successfully

Settle down Beavis…Not a physical update. A verbal update lol :D

#112 WWSittingduck

WWSittingduck

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:13

If it is of any help to the devs at all, noticed the sound bug gets picked up in a track.

Was doing a quick track just to try something out, and lost my engine sound, then my upper wing gun sound. The track plays back exactly the way it did for me when I flew it.

I have no clue if playing back a track with the sound bug would give them any information at all, but it might.

Old Fokkers Squad

#113 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:01

I was perusing the thread about the awesome WWI pictures, and I think I discovered the cause of the "Stuka siren" like sound some people have reported hearing with the sound bug - maybe they added a new object to the game to model this:

If they'd just take this object out of the game, maybe that part of the bug would go away :)

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#114 ER_O_v._Kessler

ER_O_v._Kessler

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:52

I was perusing the thread about the awesome WWI pictures, and I think I discovered the cause of the "Stuka siren" like sound some people have reported hearing with the sound bug - maybe they added a new object to the game to model this:

If they'd just take this object out of the game, maybe that part of the bug would go away :)

:0o: :lol: :lol:

#115 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:48

Panths, that's not for making sounds, that's for hearing them :)

#116 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 18 January 2013 - 15:59

you mean that once the sound bug appears, i only need one of those infront of the screen to get over it?

;=)

PS: good luck to the team squashing soundbug, the hope of the entire free world is resting upon you

#117 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 18 January 2013 - 17:09

Panths, that's not for making sounds, that's for hearing them :)

Yeah, I know (if you look close you can see it hooked up to his ear), but maybe it was programmed in reverse and now it actually generates sounds? or maybe the operator has tinnitus and it's causing a feedback loop siren noise to come out of the horns? or maybe it's working in its intended form and that's why it's now possible for us to hear those siren sounds that were too faint to be heard before?

Just looked too cool not to share, and maybe bring some levity to lighten up the tone while we wait :)

#118 J5_Vorlander

J5_Vorlander

Posted 18 January 2013 - 17:40

Looks like the cover of a Depeche Mode album.

#119 Stick-95

Stick-95

Posted 18 January 2013 - 21:16

Has anyone with a MSFFB2 Joystick noticed a cut out of the FFB when the sound bug hits?

#120 TX-EcoDragon

TX-EcoDragon

Posted 18 January 2013 - 21:18

I have been having issues with FFB disappearing, usually after a map cycle, and almost always it's only on the pitch axis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users