Photo
- - - - -

All Discussion of Sound Bug goes here.

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#41 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:42

and could we get some info about progress then? If you want people stop complaining then inform them!

I'm sure they'll provide some status report info when they can - they haven't been shy about doing that in the past and it's obviously in their best interests to keep their customers happy when they can.

But posting requests for updates here in this thread is not appropriate to the purpose of this thread, so please take that sort of discussion/request (if you really think it's going to help anything) elsewhere.

Do you think we should start posting on the SimHQ forum then,if we can't post on this one!

Nobody said you couldn't post that kind of discussion in this forum - just not in this thread. Can we get back on target here?

BTW - @ SC-Billy - just noticed your post count - welcome to the Forums! (and thanks for your attempt to be helpful :) )

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#42 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 09 January 2013 - 17:12

Nobody said you couldn't post that kind of discussion in this forum - just not in this thread. Can we get back on target here?

Umm, actually, by giving the thread title "All Discussion of Sound Bug goes here", Jason made it very clear no one is welcome to post anything about this, anywhere on this forum but here.

He went further to specify what we are allowed to discuss within this thread, as well.

Kindly indulge keeping facts…uhhh, factual.

Well, upon reconsideration (and re-reading Jason's post), I suspect you may be right - I think his basic message was that he knows it's a problem, the devs know it's a problem, we all know it's a problem, so there's no point in littering up the forums any longer with tons of posts about the fact that it's a problem.

So, yes, it looks like if you want to persist in restating the obvious for the umpteenth time and whinge about the fact that there's a sound bug, you probably should do it on some other forum. However, I would hope that you would realize that continually carping on this is not going to do RoF, or the community of folks who enjoy having a quality simulation like RoF to play, any good, and concentrate on trying to make it better instead.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#43 Stick-95

Stick-95

Posted 09 January 2013 - 18:02

Initiating and stopping engine sound (maybe gun too) when sound bug is present.

Last night I was flying in NW Wargrounds server on the Late Verdun map in a Fokker Dr.1. Sometime after my first sortie, I knew the sound bug was active while flying as I heard a siren type noise when an enemy plane came close. I also heard the creaking control sounds above my engine. During this time I did have engine sound, wind sound and gun sound.

I then noticed that if I used the Blip switch, the engine sound stopped. If the throttle was full and I blipped again the engine sound came back. I did this several times to test, each time the result was the same.

I then noticed that if I throttled to idle without blipping, the engine sound also stopped. Blipping did not bring back the sound while throttle was at idle. However if I went to full throttle again and then blipped, the engine sound came back. I did this multiple times with the same result.

At one point I did lose my gun sound and I blipped at full throttle and it did come back also.

I have a CH Pro Throttle that I use a button on for my Blip switch. I use CH Control Manager Software also and ROF sees my Blip switch as Joystick-3 Button 4.

#44 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 23:28

Was flying on Wargrounds the other night with 2 central and 3 fighters. This server has multiple AI including 3 Gothas and 3 HP0400's plus 3 AI fighters per side. The map was an older one with no water near. No one was flying a flying boat or float plane at the time. I got the sound bug just flying around fighting fighters after the first sortie.

#45 JG1_Pragr_J4

JG1_Pragr_J4

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:42

As I wrote in different thread. The sound bug appears sooner or later on everywhere. There is no simple solution like "if you do not fly on channel map / with Felix you never hear it". 100% cure if you got sound bug is _sound_.log file delete. Than everything is fine for some time. How long the sound in game works properly depends on how long it last 'till the _sound_.log file becomes too large again. And it depends on how many sounds except those made by your own plane you hear during the flight.

If you fly in e.g. MP and you fly alone or participate in quick BnZ fights only you can fly for several hours with no problem. If you participate in furbals with many planes areound and you can hear their sounds problem appears in several minutes. The same stands even if you fly for any long term in close formation with another one plane. The guaranteed road to hell of sound bug is if you join someone as a gunner. You can hear the sound of the other guys plane's engine all the time and sound bug is up again in few minutes.

#46 Happyhaddock

Happyhaddock
  • LocationCloud cuckoo land

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:19

Just a thought but the ROF start up screen has a tab for sound count with options from 32 to 128…

Not the sort of settings I guess many change on a routine basis. I've been largely trouble free of this sound bug but are all those that experince this working on a higher or lower setting? (I'm set at just 32 if that's anything useful for others to compare against)

#47 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 January 2013 - 13:09

Flew with Quax on his server after flying on flying circus. Got the bug after a few sorties. Very simple server with just 2 fields and a selection of fighters. No AI…nothin'.

#48 Laser

Laser

Posted 10 January 2013 - 14:10

Could be memory allocation failure inside the externally developed FMOD library, according to this:

When the FMOD mixer thread does an allocation and it fails, it is almost impossible to recover from this gracefully (because of the threaded nature of the system, there is no function to return an error from), and sounds would start to drop out. Because we think this is fatal, and leads to subtle or not so subtle audio bugs - the mixer now emits a pulsating sine wave noise to tell you it is out of memory.

It also generates a callback FMOD_SYSTEM_CALLBACKTYPE_MEMORYALLOCATIONFAILED via System::setCallback.

It also periodically logs a message via the tty or log file to say the mixer has failed

This behaviour only occurs in FMOD 4.42 and upwards.

Source: fmod post

I woudn't be surprised if the next RoF patch will have fmodex.dll with a newer version than 4.22.1. This FMOD changelog has a lot of 'fix memory leak when …' messages: http://upstream-trac.../changelog.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://upstream-trac...org/changelogs/ … gelog.html at versions bigger than 4.22. Of course the bug can be simply elsewhere, i'm just speculating. IMHO RoF uses sounds a lot, and small FMOD-caused memory leaks sum up to a point when FMOD thread fails to allocate memory, at which point it starts to fill the log file and drop out sounds (as mentioned in first quote).

ACTUALLY, perhaps *somebody* could try to put their hands on NEWER VERSIONS of fmodex.dll and fmod_event.dll and replace those from Rise of Flight bin_game/release folder, in order to TEST if sound bug is cured/reduced etc.

UPDATE: I briefly tested using latest fmod stable dlls and at least RoF starts, and i can hear sounds. If anyone wants to test for the bug using these files, extract these 2 files into <RoF>/bin_game/release folder, after you backup original fmodex.dll and fmod_event.dll from the same folder!

Attached File  fmod dlls version 4.44.04.zip   778.16KB   40 downloads

UPDATE 2: RoF has fmod version 4.42 not 4.22 as i wrongly saw, so it's pretty updated.

#49 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 10 January 2013 - 14:57

Laser, I've just got the latest fmod dlls - version 4.44.04 and joined the flying circus with 17 players.
The engine sound started to disappear after maybe a couple of minutes, but no pulsating noise or special log messages except the usual "An error occured that wasn't supposed to. Contact support."

I want to add that I also find that the quickest way to get the sound bug is extensive use of the blip switch and throttle on rotaries as well as external views. This time I first spawned in DrI but was unable to take off (I was to lazy to connect the joystick), then I took N28 and quickly got the bug after taking off.

#50 Laser

Laser

Posted 10 January 2013 - 15:00

Laser, I've just got the latest fmod dlls - version 4.44.04 and joined the flying circus with 17 players.
The engine sound started to disappear after maybe a couple of minutes, but no pulsating noise or special log messages except the usual "An error occured that wasn't supposed to. Contact support."

Thanks! I also discovered that fmod dlls used in bin_game/release weren't *that* old - they are version 4.42 - i was looking at bin_editor/release when i printed the 4.22 value - so the fmod system is kept pretty updated with RoF. So, the bug seems to be elsewhere … (Yet, the error message it's a FMOD_ERR_EVENT_INTERNAL code)

#51 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 10 January 2013 - 16:43

I got the Sound Bug for the first time last night in single player mode. I set up a fight between one Handley Page and five D.VIIs. In the cockpit, all was well. I could hear both my engines and the faint roar of the fighters' engines. However, when I switched to external view, none of the planes' engines could be heard. I still heard the MGs firing, but that was it. So it doesn't appear to be an absolute certainty that it is only MP having issues.

#52 SC-Billy

SC-Billy

Posted 10 January 2013 - 17:24

Laser, I believe you've correctly identified the source of the bug as being a memory allocation failure within the FMOD mixer or event manager.

From the changelog that you linked to:
"- Out of memory errors from the mixer now do not crash the mixer, but disable it and play a pulsating sine wave sound."

This would explain the "stuka-like" sound that several people have reported.

EDIT: Whether the problem is in the low-level FMOD sound-playing code or in the higher-level FMOD sound event manager code (or in RoF code that calls the FMOD functions) needs to be determined.

If the information posted in this thread ever gives the developers a simple, consistent, exactly-repeatable way to generate the bug, they should be able to track it down.

#53 Quax.

Quax.
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 January 2013 - 17:35

I was suspecting memory issues from the beginning, but I have no inside of FMOD. But your explanation would explain the random behaviour and the possibillity to "drag" the bug from one server to the other or to SP.

#54 kimmy_yeager

kimmy_yeager

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:43

I've never gotten an out of memory error in my logs or CTD. I have 16Gb RAM and when I fly with a performance monitor in a second monitor I don't see any memory spikes of note. I also have no swap file (its disabled) so everything is in physical ram.

As for 'when does it happen': YES. Every conceivable permutation of online/offline server/planes you name it. Its really random.

My Asus Laptop (G74sx) simply is not stressed by RoF for resources. So any allocating issues may have to with the FMOD library's internal handling of memory pools.

Would it be premature to recommend un-releaseing 1.029 till they have a fix?

#55 ER_O_v._Kessler

ER_O_v._Kessler

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:34

Could be memory allocation failure inside the externally developed FMOD library, according to this:

When the FMOD mixer thread does an allocation and it fails, it is almost impossible to recover from this gracefully (because of the threaded nature of the system, there is no function to return an error from), and sounds would start to drop out. Because we think this is fatal, and leads to subtle or not so subtle audio bugs - the mixer now emits a pulsating sine wave noise to tell you it is out of memory.

It also generates a callback FMOD_SYSTEM_CALLBACKTYPE_MEMORYALLOCATIONFAILED via System::setCallback.

It also periodically logs a message via the tty or log file to say the mixer has failed

This behaviour only occurs in FMOD 4.42 and upwards.

Source: fmod post

I woudn't be surprised if the next RoF patch will have fmodex.dll with a newer version than 4.22.1. This FMOD changelog has a lot of 'fix memory leak when …' messages: http://upstream-trac.../changelog.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://upstream-trac...org/changelogs/ … gelog.html at versions bigger than 4.22. Of course the bug can be simply elsewhere, i'm just speculating. IMHO RoF uses sounds a lot, and small FMOD-caused memory leaks sum up to a point when FMOD thread fails to allocate memory, at which point it starts to fill the log file and drop out sounds (as mentioned in first quote).

ACTUALLY, perhaps *somebody* could try to put their hands on NEWER VERSIONS of fmodex.dll and fmod_event.dll and replace those from Rise of Flight bin_game/release folder, in order to TEST if sound bug is cured/reduced etc.

UPDATE: I briefly tested using latest fmod stable dlls and at least RoF starts, and i can hear sounds. If anyone wants to test for the bug using these files, extract these 2 files into <RoF>/bin_game/release folder, after you backup original fmodex.dll and fmod_event.dll from the same folder!

UPDATE 2: RoF has fmod version 4.42 not 4.22 as i wrongly saw, so it's pretty updated.
Dont work :(

Spandau.. What else ?? :icon_mad:

#56 boke

boke

Posted 12 January 2013 - 15:41

I hope they fixit soon. love the game. the bug started today after I purchased a few extra planes.
It usually shows u when I fire or when I switch to enemy/external etc… views
cheers guys :)

#57 Stick-95

Stick-95

Posted 12 January 2013 - 15:55

One more different incident. I can usually get in one sortie without the sound bug. To avoid getting it after that I usually leave the game after the first sortie and restart the game before the second.

Last night I entered a server and just when I got to the briefing screen the map changed. I exited the server but did not restart the game. Since I hadn't spawned in I thought I would be OK. During the first sortie the sound bug did appear. I was flying a Pfalz D.IIIa. So it seems the map change alone can cause it to appear.

#58 pcpilot

pcpilot

Posted 12 January 2013 - 16:06

I have the suspicion, that the bug started, when the sea planes got added,
and got real nasty with the update for the Channel Map.
At least I never had sound problems in online MPs without seaplanes.

Can one skip the latest update and go one step / get a patch with the previous version?

#59 J30_von_Hammer

J30_von_Hammer
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:20

Just found this sound bug thread thanks to demon!

If it helps, this is what I noticed, and some advice from the old timer of pre dot-com days.

I don't seem to have the bug as bad as some do, but it comes and goes on occasion.

from what I'm seeing, I feel there is a criss-cross in the software routines somewhere, like a shared variable or similar.

1) I run Regzooka and CCleaner when things go funny, and it seems to help to some extent. I flew almost all night on 1/11 without a sound issue. That was 4 hours, and I finally had a sound issue in the last 30 min of my night.

2) Flying a Gotha, I noticed:
once my sound suddenly cut out, I had minimal sounds. I'd hear some creaking of the plane and wind only.
I blipped the engines on/off a few times and it changed the fault. Sometimes, a tin can type sound. sometimes a constant motor sound, and most interesting, sometimes I'd get sound that was controlled by the throttle like a volume control Between 800rpm and 1250, I could hear the engines as normal, but, at 800, it was nice and loud, and by sliding to 1250, the sound went down like volume control. beyond 800 and lower, or 1250 and higher, the sound cut out all together for the engines. It would return in the rpm range noted.

3) from even the early days of the game, I noticed that when I went to a bomb sight in a German plane, ( I fly them the most) the engine (only)sound would always cut out. In some cases, the sound would cut out but as I moved the zoom control of the bomb sight it came back, the engine sounds would be affected like a volume control. I could hear other planes or guns firing. I never lost my sounds once returning to the cockpit until recently. Now it sometimes happens that I lose engine sound when I go to cockpit from bomb sight. And the volume control effect of the zoom control seems more prevalent now. Sometimes I go to bomb sight, and have a small sound, and as I zoom in, it gets louder, but I don't lose the sound.

4) flying a DFW, I noticed the similar affect. Also, with engine sound gone, also gun sounds were gone.

5) sometimes I only lose my own engine sound, and I can hear other planes or flak around me.

6) once, my teamspeak announced a 'user has timed out' message, and at the exact same moment, my sound went bad. I was on the Jasta 30 group under the ROF teamspeak site.

7) flying in a server, or quick mission mode, with optional views, I found that if I went from the cockpit view to external, I'd lose the sound. Sometimes I'd lose the sound, and by jumping back and forth from F1 to F2 (cockpit/external), my sound would return. Other view changes in quick mission could do the same.

Having been a manufacturing and electrical design engineer for many years, and having started on computers in the punch card days with Fortran, Basic, and then Turbo Pascal, I learned that the way I learned first was, and still is, the best way to program and troubleshoot. Do it on paper . I have solved issues using proper method of programming and review- doing it on paper.

I know the modern software guys can be a whiz, but hardly any of them are the true, hard core, professional-of-old that knows to keep track of things on paper, and once the originator moves on, the new guys can't hardly figure out what the last guy did, and you end up paying a bunch of money for tapitty-tap on the keys and 'let's try this' a bunch of times. The guy who will print out the code, at least the sections that pertain to the area of interest, and sit down at the big table with a pencil and all the paper, will have a higher degree of success.

Using logic, one can read the codes, understand the path, flow chart the program and 'bing', spot the problem, or at least be able to identify possible issues that don't appear to ring true to the desired result of the program. I'm not a degreed software engineer, and I was not familer with Unix, but I resolved a problem the major semiconductor company, that I worked for, had lived with for over 12 years until my boss asked me to look at it. Found 10 things wrong, and success was achieved. All I did was ask the software group to print out the section of code I needed, then I sat down and went through it, with a Unix book to understand the commands, for about a week and found the problems. And some of the problems were not simply a bad code in one spot- it was a string of commands that worked together in certain conditions and things went bad if certain parameters were met- and not totally bad, just intermittantly bad- which is worse. Not an easy spot for a key tapper, and well gee, they never did find the problems until I did the code on paper and showed it to them.

People who do not print, can't see the whole picture in place, nor jump around as fast in the code, and typically can't keep track of where they've been, nor track mulitple relations of routines in the code very well. They get lost, or miss things they skipped over. That leads to impatience and the desire to move on when the problem can't be solved quickly. Not hardly anyone listens to what I say about using the primal code methods, but I've had good results troubleshooting anything from hex code, to ladder logic type codes, to codes like Unix that I've never programmed with, and I worked it out every time.

My advice- find a very patient, programmer, or logical thinker type, then have him print and read vs tapiity-tap on the keys. You will find the problem if it's in the software. When laid to print, software loses all its magical mysteries.

#60 Jaeger_301

Jaeger_301

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:08

On my old system % and with ROF pre 1.029 the sound bug was a frequent guest during online flying.

The sound bug could be reproduced on my old system the following way:
- online with skin download on and textures high while attacking a multiengine bomber in a single seater, happend 50 to 75% of the time
- online with skin download on and textures high and flying a second or differend map 100% chance of the soundbug

with skin download disabled, sound setting to low the soundbug did happen less frequent but with 100% certainty when i flew on 2 differend maps like flying circus and new wings.

upgraded system:
so far the soundbug does not occur as long as i just use one map for flying off- or online. I could successfully reproduce the soundbug under the following conditions:
- quick mission flying the W12 aginst the Felixstowe and then switching to MP. After about 30 min MP on the Fantasy Island while in a Halberstadt the soundbug happend (about 10 players online)
a) after bombing a ship and strafing it
b) attacking a Felixstowe with the Becker gun and MG
(2 different occasions)

conclusio:
- flying on 2 different maps, without restarting ROF, is almost a 100% guarantee for the soundbug
- better Hw and/or the OpenAL library improves the situation

% old system
Creative 5.1 soundcard
2GB DDR2 667 ram
ATI 5570 1GB

upgraded system
Asus Xonar
4GB DDR 3 1330 ram
ATI 7770 1GB
OpenAL sound library
both systems with XP pro 32 bit

#61 El_Marta

El_Marta

Posted 13 January 2013 - 14:44

@ J30_von_Hammer: +1

#62 J5_Vorlander

J5_Vorlander

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:03

Is there any update on the sound bug?

:(

#63 WPO_Frosty

WPO_Frosty

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:46

I am not sure if this is it…but I noticed the other night that if I didn't arm my guns until after the engine was running, the _sound_ file was only 29 kb. Tonight I accidentaly cocked the guns before I started my engine and the _sound_ file was 29,000 kb. Not sure if I am way out in left field here, just wondering if that could help.

#64 Nrohtnalu

Nrohtnalu

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:05

I dont know if its related to the sound bug but I noticed that RoF crashes without any message to desktop a lot for me whenever a bomb I dropped explodes nearby (low level)in 1.029 Never had that happen in 1.028.

#65 Katsai

Katsai

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:18

Our group has had the sound bug when flying MP on the old map only. No new planes only SE5 Nieuport ond Bristols, no apparent reason for it starting. Occasional gunfire broke through.
Salute

#66 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 14 January 2013 - 14:22

Have not had the sound bug since I changed the sound file to read only. Of course I now just jinksed myself!

#67 Quax.

Quax.
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 January 2013 - 15:29

Back to topic (all i can say so far):

- no customer "workaround" does do any changes to the behaviour of the bug on my side.
- audio setup doesn´t change anything as well

one new symptom for me:

- an ever running engine sound did continue into the main menu (showroom).

#68 15.Span_Chajas

15.Span_Chajas

Posted 14 January 2013 - 19:52

Hola a todos y disculpen por no escribir en Ingles.
Mi experiencia con el bug de sonido es que volando con cualquier avion en ocasiones al variar cualquier cosa del avion que a su vez varie el sonido (mezcla,cambiar vistas,potencia,disparo,mover la caveza hacia un costao,etc) habeces se me quita el sonido.Lo que yo hago para que vuelva sin tener que salir del servidor es lo mismo en pleno vuelo apago motor enciendo, apago enciendo ,apago enciendo, recargo armas, disparo, muevo un poco la mezcla etc.. hasta que me vuelve el sonido.
Espero que os ayude esto a que no sea tan molesto el bug.

#69 stelr

stelr

Posted 15 January 2013 - 00:53

My experience is exactly as Quax describes above. Constant engine running after I left the server and didn't stop until I quit the entire game.

#70 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:49

Just came from the FC server (Lake map). The sound bug hit immediately when two HP400s arrived.

#71 NattyIced

NattyIced

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:48

Played SP for about an hour in QMB on various maps (Western, Channel, and Fantasy) with various planes (inline and rotaries) and then flew for 40 minutes (single flight) in a SPAD7 180HP a few days ago on Syndicate with the full Western Front during Autumn. Flew across the lines, near archie, engaged a couple DVIIs and fired at them plus they fired at me. Wounded when diving towards a cloud and escaped to land back at base. No sound issues during any of that.

It's going to be very difficult to track down considering there aren't any common occurrences that cause it.

"Now comes a matter that I want to discuss with you: Our aircraft, quite frankly, are ridiculously inferior to British [aircraft]. The [Sopwith] Triplane and 200hp SPAD, as well as the Sopwith [Camel] single-seater, play with our [Albatros] D.V. In addition to having better-quality aircraft, they have far more [of them]. Our really good fighter pilots are lost in this manner. The D.V is so far surpassed by and so ridiculously inferior to the British single-seaters that one cannot begin to do anything with [the D.V]. But the people at home have brought out no new machines for almost a year, [only] these lousy Albatroses, and have remained stuck with the Albatros D.III [types], in which I fought in the autumn of last year." - Manfred von Richtofen

#72 SC-Billy

SC-Billy

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:24

I believe the essential element in experiencing the bug is getting into a situation with a large number of different sounds. What I'm uncertain about is whether it's just the fact of having a lot of sounds active, or whether it's the rate at which they are being started and stopped. In other words, it may be a memory management issue or it may be something like a race condition among asynchronous events. [The latter can be a real nightmare to track down.]

The most certain way I know of experiencing the bug is to go onto one of the Flying Circus server's missions (especially the Lake tdm one) and diving into a large furball. With a large number of different aircraft engines nearby (and getting closer and moving away), guns being fired and recharged, throttles being opened and closed, and your head swiveling around and giving you different stereo effects, there's a terrific number of effects being started, stopped, and managed by the sound system.

A large aircraft like the Felixstowe, with all of its guns, can be a source of many sounds and that may be why some people experience the sound bug when getting near one.

I've flown on quiet servers (i.e., with few other people on) for over two hours with no problems. On a busy day at the Flying Circus, though, if I get into heavy action then my sound will go off within 10 minutes.

[FWIW, I *always* restart RoF when a new mission is spawned on a server in order to minimise sound issues. I wish there were a button in the hangar that we could use to reset the FMOD system and reload all sounds between sorties without having to restart the whole sim.]

#73 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:10

Interesting observations, SC-Billy. I had the sound bug again tonight when someone showed up in a F2A on the Flying Circus server. On the other hand, there were multiple furballs with lots of flak and similar noise, but no sound bug without one of the big heavies.

#74 ER_O_v._Kessler

ER_O_v._Kessler

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:37

I believe the essential element in experiencing the bug is getting into a situation with a large number of different sounds. What I'm uncertain about is whether it's just the fact of having a lot of sounds active, or whether it's the rate at which they are being started and stopped. In other words, it may be a memory management issue or it may be something like a race condition among asynchronous events. [The latter can be a real nightmare to track down.]

The most certain way I know of experiencing the bug is to go onto one of the Flying Circus server's missions (especially the Lake tdm one) and diving into a large furball. With a large number of different aircraft engines nearby (and getting closer and moving away), guns being fired and recharged, throttles being opened and closed, and your head swiveling around and giving you different stereo effects, there's a terrific number of effects being started, stopped, and managed by the sound system.

A large aircraft like the Felixstowe, with all of its guns, can be a source of many sounds and that may be why some people experience the sound bug when getting near one.

I've flown on quiet servers (i.e., with few other people on) for over two hours with no problems. On a busy day at the Flying Circus, though, if I get into heavy action then my sound will go off within 10 minutes.

[FWIW, I *always* restart RoF when a new mission is spawned on a server in order to minimise sound issues. I wish there were a button in the hangar that we could use to reset the FMOD system and reload all sounds between sorties without having to restart the whole sim.]

Thats exactly what i told since the bug exists 8-)

Spandau.. What else ?? :icon_mad:

#75 J5_Vorlander

J5_Vorlander

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:25

Last night 5 x J5 pilots took off on the syndicate server without any sound on each one of the computers.

Can't play this game with the sound bug. Irritating me now.

#76 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:29

Last night on Fast Food server no sound issues even after map change.
I deleted the sound file prior to joining and set the sound to the lowest setting in the start up screen.
Didnt help my flying though still trounced by pesky bandits, note to self - must get Track IR -

#77 Armincles

Armincles

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:41

Sometimes I have no Problem for a while and then it hits you.When I throttle back and up again it sometimes cure it for a while.On some Planes its worse than others.On the N11 I get it a lot.
Agree with Vorlander, its no fun or near realistic when you hear weird or no sound.
I also got it on the Circus Channel Map with a Fokker D7F, I had no sound from start to near the enemy when it suddenly reappeared, as if I left some kind of invisible zone.
Is 777 seeing a possible solution yet?
:?

#78 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 15 January 2013 - 14:40

Yeah, I can confirm having the sound bug occasionally before 1.029.

#79 realCallahan

realCallahan

Posted 15 January 2013 - 16:04

Now the soundbug is appearing some more time after joining a server :D

#80 J5_G.D

J5_G.D

Posted 15 January 2013 - 17:16

hi all ,
clear is ….sound bug was and is in rof .
he is not coming with the felix or the new map..
for now it happens much more as before the new patch and most everybody can feel it …

for me the sound bug happens not only on channel map .
on every online server .
last on syndicate ,without felixs ..
fly for more than 30 min without any sound trouble ,then fight with 3-6 fighters, from first shot no gun sound ..
then no engine sound ,engine sound back ,gun sound not ,engine sound runs from left to right but not so loud ,no stereo..
then engine sound away , no sound ,…only landing sound to hear and wind around …guns and engine sounds stay away…
thats what happens mostly ..

restart ..all sound there

greetings

G.D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users